Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with WR Darrius Heyward Bey (merge)

Steagles

With the right toppings and toasted bun he very well can turn into A whopper! Can't wait for these guys to come in and show the haters wrong!! Grigson and pagano are no dummies. They wouldn't have brought the guys in if they didn't think they were going to come in and kill it!

If they thought he was gonna come in & "kill it" wouldn't they have given him a better contract? I believe the Walden guy got a better deal than DHB, & mostly everyone on here didn't even know who he was

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they thought he was gonna come in & "kill it" wouldn't they have given him a better contract? I believe the Walden guy got a better deal than DHB, & mostly everyone on here didn't even know who he was

If they thought he was going to be terrible, they wouldn't have brought him in at all, for any amount of money. They didn't bring me in, and I'm very available...

If they thought he was going to be terrible, they wouldn't have brought him in at all, for any amount of money. They didn't bring me in, and I'm very available...

They didn't bring you in cause you're not flying around LOS like Harnish is at night :D

As for the decision...this is a really good signing. He is a veteren receiver that is very professional. Never had on or off the field problems. Great locker room guy from what others have said but just hasn't lived up to his draft position. He isn't meant to be our savior. He isn't the #1 or #2 option. Just a very solid third wr option for us meant to buy us time with our young guys like Brazill and others. This simply means we can truely go BPA. We needed another WR and now we can draft one if a great pick is there...but certainly can address other areas like OL especially and possibly add depth to our secondary with corner or safety. This is a great deal. I really think next season's wr class is going to be like last years qb class....a lot of depth and special players in there...not saying there aren't any this year but I just don't see it personally.

As for the decision...this is a really good signing. He is a veteren receiver that is very professional. Never had on or off the field problems. Great locker room guy from what others have said but just hasn't lived up to his draft position. He isn't meant to be our savior. He isn't the #1 or #2 option. Just a very solid third wr option for us meant to buy us time with our young guys like Brazill and others. This simply means we can truely go BPA. We needed another WR and now we can draft one if a great pick is there...but certainly can address other areas like OL especially and possibly add depth to our secondary with corner or safety. This is a great deal. I really think next season's wr class is going to be like last years qb class....a lot of depth and special players in there...not saying there aren't any this year but I just don't see it personally.

I'd be happy with Robert Woods, but not at #24. And we don't have a second round pick.

At this point, I'm more anxious to see whether Grigson stays at #24, or if he moves down for value.

Today while visiting another site I read a post on a raiders message board & this stood out to me .

A reporter supposedly asked DHB about his reported hands of stone his answer was " I hope the coaches in Indy allow me to catch with my hands , My Raider coaches wanted me to catch with my body "  The person posting it claimed  the reporters name was Stu Girardi I believe . Could'nt find anything & was wondering if this was true ??

IMO if you draft a WR 7'th overall should'nt you allow him to catch the ball the way hes used too ?

Am I missing something here ?  IMO  if the QB don't trust you & your coaches don't believe in your capabilities could'nt this be part of the problem & the hands of stone maybe overblown ..

Today while visiting another site I read a post on a raiders message board & this stood out to me .

A reporter supposedly asked DHB about his reported hands of stone his answer was " I hope the coaches in Indy allow me to catch with my hands , My Raider coaches wanted me to catch with my body " The person posting it claimed the reporters name was Stu Girardi I believe . Could'nt find anything & was wondering if this was true ??

IMO if you draft a WR 7'th overall should'nt you allow him to catch the ball the way hes used too ?

Am I missing something here ? IMO if the QB don't trust you & your coaches don't believe in your capabilities could'nt this be part of the problem & the hands of stone maybe overblown ..

Lol I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

As long as we use him on short routes so he can catch and run, he can be a weapon for us. It should be noted that DHB is quite possibly the worst WR I've ever seen at tracking the ball in the air so long bombs aren't the ticket with him. He can do real damage with the ball in his hands and brings some size to the table, so it's really just a matter of using him properly.

Overall, I really like the signing for us. There's really no risk, and a solid chance of outperforming the contract. 

I've always believed you attack the ball with your hands, Now Micheal Irvin thinks differently because there was a piece he was teaching some wr (forgets who) and he taught him to catch it with his body, Which I understand the idea, that if you catch it in your body you dont have to waste time to tuck the ball and run you can just trap and go but its very unrealistic to think your QB is going to put the ball right in the crook of your arm or belly every time. you have to attack the ball or else if the ball hits your chest or stomach you have lunge your arms out to try to catch the deflection. Just my thoughts, attack the ball with your hands

I'd be happy with Robert Woods, but not at #24. And we don't have a second round pick.

At this point, I'm more anxious to see whether Grigson stays at #24, or if he moves down for value.

Well I don't have anything against Woods but agree that would be kind of a stretch to take him. I don't see us going that route. I truely believe this acquisition was very intentionally thought out in buying us a year where we may have better choices in both the first AND second rounds come next year. I could be very wrong and I'm not a gm obviously...but looking at those that would be coming out next year....across the board I have more rated higher than there are this year. To me...I'd rather have a better rated wr next year and use that pick to upgrade another position this year then reach this year and then have all these great wrs sitting there next year and reach again for say a guard or lb.

Don't get me wrong if a guy like Patterson is there I wouldn't hesitate to take him. I just would find it hard to believe any other wr would grade out higher than say an OG, DE, OLB, CB/S that would likely still be there when we pick. We know its bpa...but I gotta think that they weren't high on wrs in this draft since they have been targeting DHB and the "whopper" for so long this offseason. To me that has to signal something.

Carson Palmer is the type of qb who isn't going to make his receivers better but his receivers make him better. In Cincy he had ocho/housh/Henry and the #1 running game with benson to bail him out. With Oakland, he was forced to carry the team and we all know he isn't that Strong mentally. I think he's going to a good situation with Larry bailing him out.

And yeah, it's hard to develop with so many qbs but his problem out of college was his hands. Maybe we can change that.

As long as we use him on short routes so he can catch and run, he can be a weapon for us. It should be noted that DHB is quite possibly the worst WR I've ever seen at tracking the ball in the air so long bombs aren't the ticket with him. He can do real damage with the ball in his hands and brings some size to the table, so it's really just a matter of using him properly.

Spot on! And I think that is EXACTLY what we brought him in for. Catch & go.

Well I don't have anything against Woods but agree that would be kind of a stretch to take him. I don't see us going that route. I truely believe this acquisition was very intentionally thought out in buying us a year where we may have better choices in both the first AND second rounds come next year. I could be very wrong and I'm not a gm obviously...but looking at those that would be coming out next year....across the board I have more rated higher than there are this year. To me...I'd rather have a better rated wr next year and use that pick to upgrade another position this year then reach this year and then have all these great wrs sitting there next year and reach again for say a guard or lb.

Don't get me wrong if a guy like Patterson is there I wouldn't hesitate to take him. I just would find it hard to believe any other wr would grade out higher than say an OG, DE, OLB, CB/S that would likely still be there when we pick. We know its bpa...but I gotta think that they weren't high on wrs in this draft since they have been targeting DHB and the "whopper" for so long this offseason. To me that has to signal something.

I can dig all of that.

Yeah but you are Superman. You are WAY too powerful to just be playing receiver in the NFL. That's probabaly why they didn't bring you in.

A few quick thoughts... I did not read all 9 pages of this thread... just the first few...

I like this signing... DHB has improved since he was drafted, despite having 7 QBs throw to him. His drop rate went from outrageous to slightly problematic over the last two seasons... If he is going to fulfill his potential anywhere, Indy is the place it would happen.

We will run an offense that should fit DHB's skill set and #12 is going to have a field day with Reggie, Allen, Fleener, and DHB to throw to in the middle of the field... our receiving core now has some legitimate size and speed to spare with T.Y and Brazill added to that group...

I like the contract as well... we didn't pay an arm and a leg and we get to try him out for a season..

I do not think that this signing is going to affect the draft very much... If we don't get a WR this year, we will still need one next year when DHB becomes a FA.. WR is not our biggest need anymore (if it ever was) but we will have to draft one in the next two seasons regardless unless Brazill (or somebody else) emerges as an unexpected stud... This signing might give us a season to really sort out what we have at the position and, at the very least, figure out exactly what type of player we need to draft... 

The draft basically comes down to replacements for aging vets.. (Mathis, Redding, Wayne, AV,) and Offensive Line.

Not nessassarly, give him a one year contract to prove himself. See if he makes or breaks. He proves worthy he can be resigned. We don't know what's being said behind close doors

Not nessassarly, give him a one year contract to prove himself. See if he makes or breaks. He proves worthy he can be resigned. We don't know what's being said behind close doors

He picked us, so if he performs well and we give him a nice payday I see no reason this wouldn't turn long term.

I looked up the term "stone hands" on urbandictionary:

A term for a person with clumsy hands, usually related to hand eye coordination in sports.

Stone hands, otherwise known as Darrius Heyward-Bey Syndrome.

Well that seals it.

Cut him.

A few quick thoughts... I did not read all 9 pages of this thread... just the first few...

I like this signing... DHB has improved since he was drafted, despite having 7 QBs throw to him. His drop rate went from outrageous to slightly problematic over the last two seasons... If he is going to fulfill his potential anywhere, Indy is the place it would happen.

We will run an offense that should fit DHB's skill set and #12 is going to have a field day with Reggie, Allen, Fleener, and DHB to throw to in the middle of the field... our receiving core now has some legitimate size and speed to spare with T.Y and Brazill added to that group...

I like the contract as well... we didn't pay an arm and a leg and we get to try him out for a season..

I do not think that this signing is going to affect the draft very much... If we don't get a WR this year, we will still need one next year when DHB becomes a FA.. WR is not our biggest need anymore (if it ever was) but we will have to draft one in the next two seasons regardless unless Brazill (or somebody else) emerges as an unexpected stud... This signing might give us a season to really sort out what we have at the position and, at the very least, figure out exactly what type of player we need to draft... 

The draft basically comes down to replacements for aging vets.. (Mathis, Redding, Wayne, AV,) and Offensive Line.

I agree, I think the drops are a thing of the past. I forget which poster posted it, but it showed how his problem with drops had gotten much better since his rookie year.

Well idk how well he is going to do but I hope great. Obviously because he's a Colt now but more do cause I like him as a man. Just listened to his radio interview he had. Some if you may not like this and that's ok, but I love it about him. He was asked what fueled his ultimate decision to go to the colts a s he said he followed his heart and that he prayed on it. Not that he thought hard, but prayed. He has courage as man to put his faith out there in a tine where it's being demonized and I respect that.

Anyone see this tweet from Shipley? (Sorry if its already in the thread, I wasn't going to go through 9 pages)

@aqshipley: I trained with @theDHB85 in arizona pre nfl combine and colts fans i can tell you he was one of the freakiest athletes ive ever seen!

What I like most about DHB is that I have yet to see any corner line up within 10 yards from him. They all play back because he can burn them over the top which automatically opens up space over the middle.

All I ever hear is "Change of Scenery" well From Oak to Indy is the epitome of that phrase.

Welcome to the Shoe!