Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with WR Darrius Heyward Bey (merge)

Steagles

Here's what was written....

god forbid they had to endure a ****ty season between Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck."

My read of that says they don't think we suffered a bad season.   Your read is different.    I could be wrong.    You could be right.     But, honestly,  I'm too tired and too happy to even care!!     :thmup:

Vocalize it in your head with a slight bit of sarcasm. He was acknowledging the season in a mad/jealous/* off sarcasm making the one season seem like nothing compared to the crappy seasons they've had since the early 2000s.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what was written....

god forbid they had to endure a ****ty season between Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck."

My read of that says they don't think we suffered a bad season.   Your read is different.    I could be wrong.    You could be right.     But, honestly,  I'm too tired and too happy to even care!!     :thmup:

Um, what he meant was that god forbid we had to endure one bad year (2-11) to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck. He was being sarcastic. He was acknowledging that the colts had 1 bad year, but it went over most people's heads.

Vocalize it in your head with a slight bit of sarcasm. He was acknowledging the season in a mad/jealous/ticked off sarcasm making the one season seem like nothing compared to the crappy seasons they've had since the early 2000s.

Yeah, "god forbid" kind of sets the tone for the rest of it. I don't know how it's not obvious.

Um, what he meant was that god forbid we had to endure one bad year (2-11) to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck. He was being sarcastic. He was acknowledging that the colts had 1 bad year, but it went over most people's heads.

What?!?    Something went over MY head?!?   

Well,   that would be the first time...   today!     :funny:       But probably not the last!!       :lol: 

I'll say this, if this is the move Irsay was talking about, it's strange that it took weeks to reach terms with a secondary free agent on a mid level, one year deal. I'm good with the DHB signing, but I don't think it should have taken two weeks.

You're bothered by how long this signing took...   

I'm bothered by how much some of the other signings cost...

A world of difference my good friend,  a world of difference!      :thmup:

Honestly,  I'm so tired, I'm almost out on my feet...   I'll be asleep in one hour.....     

Not so fast. We still need Reggie's successor. If Grigsie feels there is a worthy WR in the first, I'm all for it. DHB is a nice piece to the puzzle, but he's not a #1 receiver.

I agree.

And we need successers for Redding, Satelle, and Mathis too!

And a really good RB.

I'll say this, if this is the move Irsay was talking about, it's strange that it took weeks to reach terms with a secondary free agent on a mid level, one year deal. I'm good with the DHB signing, but I don't think it should have taken two weeks.

You're joking, right?  No way DHB is the "wopper"

You think it is possible this is Irsays whale? :headspin:

It took as long as the player wanted it to. You understand there could easily/likely have been a longer term offer from the Colts?

I really don't get how people can get online before the guy has even had a practice or heaven forbid a game and declare him the worst free agent signing by far like I saw in this thread.  If you don't like the move fine but give the guy a chance to show you what he can for the Colts before you declare it a mistake. 

Honestly I like the deal.  The Colts were able to fill a need and get a guy who has some size and a lot of speed to go on the outside of Reggie and let them leave Hilton in his slot spot where he was so effective last year.  They didn't have to break the bank to get him and it's a one year deal so there is a lot of incentive for him to preform well.  On paper this looks good for the Colts.  Now let's see what he does on the field to see if he can back that up or not. 

I really don't get how people can get online before the guy has even had a practice or heaven forbid a game and declare him the worst free agent signing by far like I saw in this thread. If you don't like the move fine but give the guy a chance to show you what he can for the Colts before you declare it a mistake.

Honestly I like the deal. The Colts were able to fill a need and get a guy who has some size and a lot of speed to go on the outside of Reggie and let them leave Hilton in his slot spot where he was so effective last year. They didn't have to break the bank to get him and it's a one year deal so there is a lot of incentive for him to preform well. On paper this looks good for the Colts. Now let's see what he does on the field to see if he can back that up or not.

Yep with luck he could be real good ppl said his hands have gotten better anyway I'm not gonna hate on any of the moves till I see proof they don't fit until then I'm quite happy to be a colts fan lol

You're joking, right?  No way DHB is the "wopper"

How do you know? As has been made very clear this off-season what the fans view as a big free agent signing doesn't always match what Irsay views as one.  Just because DHB doesn't do much for you doesn't mean Irsay has the same view point.  There is nothing to suggest that DHB wasn't the player the Colts were talking about all along and the fact he's the only WR they had in for a visit and then signed him seems at least suggest there has been interest in him so he could very well be the guy Irsay was talking about all along.  Since none of us can read Irsay's mind I think it's best to try not to and just because maybe doesn't match your expectations for a "wopper" doesn't mean it doesn't match Irsay's. 

Yep with luck he could be real good ppl said his hands have gotten better anyway I'm not gonna hate on any of the moves till I see proof they don't fit until then I'm quite happy to be a colts fan lol

If the o-line can block for him and Luck improves at all he could very well have a Peyton type jump from his rookie season to his second year in the NFL.  If he doesn't it's not going to be for a lack of weapons around him that's for sure. 

Based on the reports that were out there I think DHB over valued his market and it took time for his asking price to come down which was the hold up.  There was one report that came out during these past two weeks that even said the Colts were waiting for the asking price to come down.  It's some where in the jumbo thread.  I think this was a case of sometimes it just takes time to get a deal in the NFL especially where there is no deadline like the start of training camp or the start of the season to help force a deal. 

If the o-line can block for him and Luck improves at all he could very well have a Peyton type jump from his rookie season to his second year in the NFL. If he doesn't it's not going to be for a lack of weapons around him that's for sure.

I agree I think our o line will be alot better Castanzo I think will get better with better players around him and I hope they start Shipley he was good when he played

TY had the highest drop rate in the league. DHB wasn't even in the top 10.

Whats the source your using to determine he had the highest drop rate in the league? Looking at SI.com stats Hilton dropped 6 balls all year out of 90 targets which is 6.66 percent drop rate and Demaryius Thomas  dropped 10 balls out of 141 targets for a 7.09 percent drop rate

Great signing! I wish they could lock him up for more than a year though(awaiting details)2-3 would be nice. TY and DHB and Wayne and Allen, Fleener, Ballard, Havili! Luck has LOTS weapons to chose from.... with another good draft like last year and the sky is the limit for this team, way to go GRIGS!

I agree completely. All these 1 year deals are going to want to get seriously paid next year if we want to keep them.

Whats the source your using to determine he had the highest drop rate in the league? Looking at SI.com stats Hilton dropped 6 balls all year out of 90 targets which is 6.66 percent drop rate and Demaryius Thomas dropped 10 balls out of 141 targets for a 7.09 percent drop rate

Wasn't it Avery that had the highest, or one if the highest drop rates?

If he has a good season which I think he will, if the Colts can't sign him long term, they can always use the franchise tag on him!

Shoot me now if we Tag Heyward-Bey and pay him the average of the top receivers in the league. I am very happy about this signing, but Yikes

I'm mildly excited about the DHB, although laced with skeptism. If he play's like a pro-bowler, could he shaft us next season? And if he turns out to be another Hank Baskett......

Yup, I should be in the 'sitting on the fence' Hall of Fame.....on this one.

In fact, it's just a mirror of our entire FA dealings. Hard to get too excited, but nervously optimistic. 

How do you know? As has been made very clear this off-season what the fans view as a big free agent signing doesn't always match what Irsay views as one.  Just because DHB doesn't do much for you doesn't mean Irsay has the same view point.  There is nothing to suggest that DHB wasn't the player the Colts were talking about all along and the fact he's the only WR they had in for a visit and then signed him seems at least suggest there has been interest in him so he could very well be the guy Irsay was talking about all along.  Since none of us can read Irsay's mind I think it's best to try not to and just because maybe doesn't match your expectations for a "wopper" doesn't mean it doesn't match Irsay's. 

Please show me where I said that.     I think he's a nice add.    .

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

great signing, prove and get money then.. low risk, could be high reward.

I still like WR at #24 tho, DHB could be great, but he's coming of a huge concussion, has bad hands, and at #24 we could get one solid receiver and possibly our #1 of the future. And to everyone talking about next year WR's, i hope we'll be 31 or 32 picking, so... don't think any elite WR talent will fall to us.

This is such a great signing. I don't think I can be any happier with the way they handled going out and getting another wideout. It was obviously much needed but they were patient and IMO they didn't need to go spend big money on a guy like Cruz or Jennings at all. Let's be honest, if this guy can put up decent numbers in Oakland where it was nearly impossible to develop a connection with a QB, then he will produce in Indy. DHB obviously has big potential but still needs to prove it. The 1-year deal is harmless in case he's easily replaceable. If he surprises and comes through in a big way, we could possibly find a short term replacement for Wayne (I know this is very wishful thinking but at least a solid number 2). Then we pay him. I have faith in this kid. I think this could turn out very well for the Colts and there's really no risk. Your thoughts? By far one of the best low-risk, high reward signings of the last few years. I know 3 mill isn't chump change, but for a guy who was a former no. 7 overall draft pick that was stuck with the Raiders to start his career, this is a very solid signing.

If he has a good season which I think he will, if the Colts can't sign him long term, they can always use the franchise tag on him!

He would have to have played like a superstar and overachieved on his incentives this upcoming season for me to be on board with that.  This year these WR were NOT franchised by their organizations-

Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola, and Wes Welker.  Franchise tag would cost $10.537 million for 2013. I don't think any team used their tag on any WR, let alone a player like DHB.

It's not a signing expected to shape the future of the team. It's a signing designed to fill an immediate need, with potential upside. Young player, one year deal, not a lot of money.

Again the voice of reason...

What I don't get is the view that this now somehow means that a WR is off the table in Round 1. This changes that selection not one iota.

Shows you how dumb Raider Fan is....

The Colts DID have one Sh***y season....    2-14 in 2011.    You know it.    I know it.    But Raider fan doesn't!!

This is a good night in Colts' Nation....   a very good night.    I hope everyone, from Colts front office to all of our fans get a very, very good night's sleep!!

We've earned it!!

LOL, I guess it is how one interprets it.  I inferred he meant we had to endure 1 bad season between our elite QB's.   Replace the " a " with "one " in his sentence below  to see what I mean...

"... god forbid they had to endure a ****ty season between Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck."

Nevertheless, they reached, payed the man and spent 4 years trying to turn measurable's into on field productivity. As soon as his contract is up, he bolts to the Colts.  Yes, bad for them and great for us. I'm happy, but don't have any expectations this guy will develop into a number 1.  Contribute? Yes, Show toughness? Yes.  Earn Colts fans support? Most likely.  But we probably won't be hanging his banner on the outside of LOS.  I still think we should take an true potential #1 receiver this year, only if one falls into our lap.  If not, let's try that again in 2014 draft.