Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Fleener Report:

Dark Superman

Coby Fleener - TE - Colts

Colts GM Ryan Grigson says the plan is to use second-year TE Coby Fleener out in space more often in 2013.

Fleener, the No. 34 overall pick in last year's draft, had a mostly disappointing rookie campaign. He played in just 13 games, including the playoffs, due to a shoulder injury and caught only 29 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns. A pure pass catcher in college, Fleener was asked to block nearly half of the time as a rookie. Per Pro Football Focus, he ran just 9.1 percent of his routes out of the slot. Expect that to be much higher this season.

Source: Vic Ryckaert on Twitter Mar 25 - 7:01 PM

Dwight Freeney - DL - Colts

Sounds about right to me.

we need to unleash our TEs instead of asking them to block 80% of the time. its not like it gave luck any extra time.

We didn't have the Oline to do it last year. Think we will be much better this year. Also the play calling should help with the blocking. As in they won't have to block as long.

I like how they asked him to block lots.  There is something to be said about utilizing a player's talents, but I think it's a very smart move by the coaching staff to get him outside his comfort zone to develop him into a more complete player overall.

Good point... I've thought that player development may have gotten a bit lost in the shuffle of a surprisingly successful season.... but maybe not so much... I hope Fleener looks more comfortable in the offense in the upcoming season, though...

One of the very BEST things to happen to Fleener last year was having to block so often.  I remember the 1st days of camp watching one on one drills and simply cringing as to how bad his one on one blocking was.

As the season went on, his edge/seal blocking improved immeasurably, and actually was a better part of his game.  

As we all have stated, and is stated again here, the WCO or variation thereof is about getting a receiver, TE, and the running back in 'wide open spaces' to use his athleticism after the catch.

I for one am excited to see Fleener show his athleticism, Allen run over people, TY, Brazill and Palmer run by people.....and maybe a little dose of Heyward-Bey????  Not mentioning Ballard and Brown.....but would anyone else like to see Deji Karim in wide open spaces too........Think about bringing him back Grigs.... :td:  :td:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass:

Guys, Fleener is not going to get much better. And it doesnt matter how good he is, things arent the same on the Colts as it was at Stanford.  Lucks top reciever at Stanford was griff Whalen.  Now his top reciever is Reggie Wayne. Tight ends are, not so much as in the past, but they are meant to be blockers and check-down options that can secure a first down, right? Of course alot of QB 's rely heavily on their TE's but not Luck. Luck is playing his game, and he doesnt always have to go to Fleener anymore. Especially with Dwayne Allen in the mix. Because like it or not Dwayne Allen showed us why he was an award winner in college. He's the perfect TE, and hes not as situational as Fleener is. He lines up at fullback, too. As good as fleener is, the idea of him being what who he was in college is just not realistic. Now that he's with the Colts, he has to wait in line:)

Guys, Fleener is not going to get much better. And it doesnt matter how good he is, things arent the same on the Colts as it was at Stanford.  Lucks top reciever at Stanford was griff Whalen.  Now his top reciever is Reggie Wayne. Tight ends are, not so much as in the past, but they are meant to be blockers and check-down options that can secure a first down, right? Of course alot of QB 's rely heavily on their TE's but not Luck. Luck is playing his game, and he doesnt always have to go to Fleener anymore. Especially with Dwayne Allen in the mix. Because like it or not Dwayne Allen showed us why he was an award winner in college. He's the perfect TE, and hes not as situational as Fleener is. He lines up at fullback, too. As good as fleener is, the idea of him being what who he was in college is just not realistic. Now that he's with the Colts, he has to wait in line:)

You just wasted the most dangerous position in the NFL......The athletic TE....HMMMM...Gronk, Graham, Davis, Hernandez.....I can keep going....the NFL is a pass first league...mark my word barring injury Fleener is going to have a fantastic year...and career.  Way too much athleticism not to.  He is PERFECT for the WCO....simple as that.... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

We'll see how this pans out. But overall I like Dwayne Allen more then Fleener. I'm sorry to say it, but Dwayne brings a toughness to the team when he plays.

Fleener will step it up. He is just a different type of player than Allen.

He was a little drop heavy early, and then the injury....but down the stretch Fleener started to play pretty well people....with an offensive scheme change.....the potential is there

You just wasted the most dangerous position in the NFL......The athletic TE....HMMMM...Gronk, Graham, Davis, Hernandez.....I can keep going....the NFL is a pass first league...mark my word barring injury Fleener is going to have a fantastic year...and career.  Way too much athleticism not to.  He is PERFECT for the WCO....simple as that.... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Your missing my point, man, and i dont see how you could. Its not "wasting" a position, its the reality that he's not the #1 option anymore. Fleener got his numbers not by just his great athletisism to size ratio, but also by a very sub-par recieving corps.  Fleener wasnt running next to Reggie Wayne or sharing the slot with T.Y. Hilton. And he definantly didnt have Dwayne Allen next to him. I mean, he's the star at Stanford, But we also have the Star from Clemson, The star from Miami, the star from Florida International,ect... its the NFL, and think about it, if he is to have the same numbers in college than he shouldve been drafted by the Browns, or the Dolphins or the jaguars, teams with a sub-par recieving corps so he can shine. He's just not going to stand out in the Colts the way he did at stanford simply because of the talent around him. and even worse, dont expect Hamilton to revive his glory days by signing as his OC because Fleener was all Hamilton had at times, Griff Whalen, their best reciever, played injured most of the year. And the WCO will benefit a traditional TE better than a WR/TE Hybrid. Fleener is awesome and he will get his numbers, just dont be so let down if it wont be like his Stanford years.  Theres so many reasons besides him.

Your missing my point, man, and i dont see how you could. Its not "wasting" a position, its the reality that he's not the #1 option anymore. Fleener got his numbers not by just his great athletisism to size ratio, but also by a very sub-par recieving corps.  Fleener wasnt running next to Reggie Wayne or sharing the slot with T.Y. Hilton. And he definantly didnt have Dwayne Allen next to him. I mean, he's the star at Stanford, But we also have the Star from Clemson, The star from Miami, the star from Florida International,ect... its the NFL, and think about it, if he is to have the same numbers in college than he shouldve been drafted by the Browns, or the Dolphins or the jaguars, teams with a sub-par recieving corps so he can shine. He's just not going to stand out in the Colts the way he did at stanford simply because of the talent around him. and even worse, dont expect Hamilton to revive his glory days by signing as his OC because Fleener was all Hamilton had at times, Griff Whalen, their best reciever, played injured most of the year. And the WCO will benefit a traditional TE better than a WR/TE Hybrid. Fleener is awesome and he will get his numbers, just dont be so let down if it wont be like his Stanford years.  Theres so many reasons besides him.

I am way to up on the  TE position to agree Sultan, and the WCO allows for runs after catch.  I think BOTH Allen and Fleener will thrive especially if we get another OG to even strengthen the line even more.  It will allow Luck to feature MANY options.  I would be happy if the catches were spread out to all of the weapons the Colts have and will have.  I honestly cannot wait to see what Brazill can provide us....Palmer...Whalen...

This is going to be an offense that seeks to cross the 50 on every possession and at least put 3 on the board....this is the creation of not a Polian-esque team that wins 43-42, but one that attempts to dismantle offenses...27-0....37-10.

To finish, the TE is A HUGE part of the WCO, and if Pep is using some of the Arians offense, BA liked 3 TEs at times....Fleener AND Allen will benefit, and so will the fans!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: :coltshelmet:

What in the sam hill are you talking about?  A good coaching staff will use their player's talents to benefit the team.  They'll also develop players weaknesses, such as was described early in this thread.

Fleener is basically a WR in our offense.  This much has been known for quite some time.  The ball is going to be spread around, but I wouldn't be at all shocked to see 5-6 completions in his direction most games, as with all of our other threats.  A year into the league, and a different offense designed to spread it around should mean that it is less likely that we see Wayne with 8+ catches a game and more likely that we use all of our threats somewhat equally.

No one is expecting Fleener to be the #1 guy on our offense as he may've been in college.  He is simply expected to be a key contributor, as are 3-4 other receivers (Wayne, Hilton, Allen, etc.).

This is how Fleener is supposed to be played....I'm glad to see this but I hope D Allen isn't relegated to being an additional blocker when he's the more complete TE

Allen is too good not to be utilized, and may I say Andrew Luck is too good to forget about him!!!  :)  We need ALL of our weapons!!!   :thmup:

What in the sam hill are you talking about?  A good coaching staff will use their player's talents to benefit the team.  They'll also develop players weaknesses, such as was described early in this thread.

Fleener is basically a WR in our offense.  This much has been known for quite some time.  The ball is going to be spread around, but I wouldn't be at all shocked to see 5-6 completions in his direction most games, as with all of our other threats.  A year into the league, and a different offense designed to spread it around should mean that it is less likely that we see Wayne with 8+ catches a game and more likely that we use all of our threats somewhat equally.

No one is expecting Fleener to be the #1 guy on our offense as he may've been in college.  He is simply expected to be a key contributor, as are 3-4 other receivers (Wayne, Hilton, Allen, etc.).

And sometimes more than 5 or 6....depending on the defense obviously!  Nice post!!

For those that are counting out Fleener, I'd like you to look at something.

Coby Fleener: Rookie Year stats

GP 13, Rec: 26, 281 yards, 2 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14900/coby-fleener

Tony Gonzalez rookie year stats

GP 16, Rec: 33, 368 yards, 2 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1231/tony-gonzalez

Antonio Gates rookie year stats

GP 15, Rec: 25, 389 yards, 2 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5362/antonio-gates

Dallas Clark rookie year stats

GP 10, Rec 29, 340 yards, 1 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4482/dallas-clark

Vernon Davis rookie year stats

GP 10, Rec 20, 265 yards, 3 TD's

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9592/vernon-davis

Jimmy Graham rookie year stats

GP 15, Rec 31, 356 yards, 5 TD's

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13232/jimmy-graham

It's way too early to call Fleener a bust.  Lots of these guys on here if you look at their stats by season had pretty pedestrian numbers their rookie year and then busted out for over a thousand yards receiving their 2nd year.  

We'll see how this pans out. But overall I like Dwayne Allen more then Fleener. I'm sorry to say it, but Dwayne brings a toughness to the team when he plays.

Why are you sorry to say it? I would be disappointed if DA didn't bring more toughness than Fleener. That's not a knock on Fleener at all, they just have different games. Plus, DA is built like a brick crap house.

If we get our vertical threat receiver, I look for Fleener to have an outstanding year, but we need to be able to stretch the field to do so.

Fleener ran only 10%routes he was always blocking because poor o line.This year he will have to be accounted for by Def because hes going to slide out .Fleener has WR speed and is 6 6 (CMON MAN)hes going to have alot bigger numbers and he played nicked up.Two thumbs up for Fleener this year.

For those that are counting out Fleener, I'd like you to look at something.

Coby Fleener: Rookie Year stats

GP 13, Rec: 26, 281 yards, 2 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14900/coby-fleener

Tony Gonzalez rookie year stats

GP 16, Rec: 33, 368 yards, 2 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1231/tony-gonzalez

Antonio Gates rookie year stats

GP 15, Rec: 25, 389 yards, 2 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5362/antonio-gates

Dallas Clark rookie year stats

GP 10, Rec 29, 340 yards, 1 TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4482/dallas-clark

Vernon Davis rookie year stats

GP 10, Rec 20, 265 yards, 3 TD's

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9592/vernon-davis

Jimmy Graham rookie year stats

GP 15, Rec 31, 356 yards, 5 TD's

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13232/jimmy-graham

It's way too early to call Fleener a bust.  Lots of these guys on here if you look at their stats by season had pretty pedestrian numbers their rookie year and then busted out for over a thousand yards receiving their 2nd year.  

I totally agree with you Fleener will be fine.He was nicked up from blocking because of our poor o line and got healthy down the stretch.Fleener will have alot bigger numbers this year.Hes fast as an WR tall as a G. Iam jumping all over the Fleener bandwagon a 6 6 WR back with Pep Andrew and Whalen.

Allen is too good not to be utilized, and may I say Andrew Luck is too good to forget about him!!!   :)  We need ALL of our weapons!!!   :thmup:

I agree Brother ,Allen will not rust on the sidelines,so people don't worry,he is one of the best all around TEs ive seen in a long time,when it comes to being able to do everything