Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how long til we are super bowl ready?

Sacmo

What doe superbowl ready mean?

A superbowl contender or we actually win the superbowl?

I said a while back that I didn't think we would win the SB within 5 years, but that after that window I could see us winning at least one in the next 5 years.

I do think we'll be a contender probably in year 4 of andrew luck.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, so who knows. The team still has a lot to prove, but they are young in most spots and getting upgraded as we speak.

with these FA signings, 4-5 years.  I look at years 1-3 as very managable years with lots of injuries due to age of some players and our conditioning track-record.  managable in the sense that we are rebuilding and trying to keep LUCK alive.  He will be running for his life for the next 2 to 3 years.

I can't put a number on it and this is why.

Last year, the team wasn't Pags officially.  It still had pieces left over from the old regime.  Now that Pags/Grigs have put their stamp on this team, we will now see how Pags want this to play.  It will be then we will discover out identity, our strengths, our weaknesses, our holes, etc.

So ask me this question next year and i'll have a number, but right now, this is the first year we are really going to see what the new regime can do.

Depends on how long it takes Peyton Manning to retire.  Elway's gonna keep that team around him stacked and it would be difficult to get past him.  

It will also help when Brady retires.  After those two retire, that would probably make Luck the best QB in the AFC.

I think we qualify as a dark horse contender already, tbh.  Some people in this thread have a much too narrow view of what constitutes a contender.  Sure, we're a young team that has a lot of room to grow, and I don't think we'll be anywhere close to the "peak" of this core of players this year, but lots of teams have gotten a bit lucky, and got hot at the right time, and won a super bowl a year or two before they reached their peak.  Take the Patriots in 2001.  That wasn't the best Patriots team under Tom Brady.  Tom Brady hadn't fully developed as the HoF QB he is now.  The defense was still developing into the one we saw in 03 and 04.  But they had a few lucky breaks, and got hot at the right time, and won a super bowl earlier than you'd expect.  The 1981 49ers probably qualify as this too - Joe Montana wasn't fully developed as the QB he ended up becoming at that point, and they didn't even have much of a running game at that point (they didn't get Craig until 83) - they certainly had an outstanding pass defense and a solid-but-not-great passing offense, but that 81 49ers team hadn't even begun to scratch the surface of their potential under Walsh - they just meshed well, got kinda hot, and ended up winning 9 games that season (including the CCG and Super Bowl) by 1 score.

So, do I think we're a contender now?  Yeah, sure.  We've got a good up-and-coming QB, a young and dynamic nucleus, and from all appearances a quality coach and GM.  Am I going to go to Vegas and lay all my money on us winning?  Well, no, but that's not the point.  All I'm saying is that it would not be unusual for a young team who may be several years away from realizing their full potential to win a Super Bowl early, if things go their way during that season.

I mean I know broncos and pats are on barrowed time.

but lets say a team like seattle....I mean call me nuts but even if they are NFC they still scare me.

any thoughts?

To address your thoughts on Seattle, I think they are on borrowed time too just not as much the Bronco's or the Pats.  

Bronco's and Pats are on borrowed time because of aging QB's.  

The problem with getting a team that can contend without a elite QB is that eventually all those players want to get paid and want the big money.  

Russell Wilson is a steal in the 3rd round, but he is really overrated if you ask me.  He has an elite defense, beast mode lining up behind him and a good offensive line.  He did a Matt Shaub. . . he managed a team that had a lot of star players around him and he got over-rated because of that.

RG3 gets some of the same treatment although he carried his team more then Wilson did.

Look up the stats on Russell Wilson, RG3, Luck, Brady, Brees, and Peyton and figure in the number of yards they put up by passing and running and figure out what percentage that was of their team's total offensive yards that year.  

If you look at it by that percentage you will notice a huge difference between Russell Wilson and RG3 and Luck, Brees, Peyton and Brady.  It's very telling of who carried their team and who managed the game.

I did that and I found out that only Drew Brees accounted for a higher percentage of his team's offense then Luck.  Although Brady and Peyton where pretty close.  RG3 and Wilson where not even in the same neighborhood.  

Luck got beat up in the for all the turnovers and completion percentage.  But of all the rookie QB's he was the only one who really had to do it all on his own.  RG3 and Wilson knew that they could make safe throws and their Defense and running game could carry the day.  Luck much like Brady, Brees, and Manning knew that the only way for their team to win is if they started threading some needles.  The difference between Luck and Brady, Brees and Manning is that Brady, Brees, and Manning have been threading needles for a lot longer then Luck and have a better idea of what needles they can thread.  

Add on to that that Luck was under a ton of pressure and had to throw away the ball a lot too.  

In the short term those teams are scary.  In the long run no they arn't.  What until Kapernick and Wilson want their teams to show them the money and those teams have to start dumping some of the stars that helped make those guys look good in order to pay them.

Just look what happened in Baltimore.  Flacco is a good QB and I wouldn't call him a game manager.  But he still raped his team with that contract.  And right after he raped his team for all that money, they lose half their defense to free agency.  

We're 1-2 more solid offseasons away from being able to reach perennial serious contender status. I do think we can still make the playoffs and perhaps even win a game once we're there in the meantime.

We just need more seasoning, but plenty of pieces are in place. Don't forget, we're also installing a new offense that most of our players aren't familiar with and our coaching staff is still inexperienced. It takes time for those guys to develop, too. 

T

In the short term those teams are scary.  In the long run no they arn't.  What until Kapernick and Wilson want their teams to show them the money and those teams have to start dumping some of the stars that helped make those guys look good in order to pay them.

Just look what happened in Baltimore.  Flacco is a good QB and I wouldn't call him a game manager.  But he still raped his team with that contract.  And right after he raped his team for all that money, they lose half their defense to free agency.  

Just to address the Flacco deal, it's not the reason the Ravens are getting gutted in free agency. His deal is very cap friendly in 2013. (I don't think he deserves to be paid so well, based on the market, but the Ravens disagree.)

In reality, they had a lot of expiring contracts for a lot of meaningful players. They are run by a GM that prefers to build through the draft and some patchwork free agency, rather than spending big money on support players and guys on the plus side of 30. They made a conscious decision to allow their team to change this offseason. It wasn't forced upon them by Flacco's contract.

They could easily navigate their cap situation if they wanted to have room for all these guys they are letting walk. Still waiting on details for a lot of these contracts, but for starters, they could restructure contracts for a couple of guys they have right now. Kruger, Ellerbe, Williams could all still be Ravens if the Ravens wanted them.

Teams can build around a highly paid quarterback. It's not impossible. But you MUST draft well. When you miss in the draft in consecutive years, you start to see talent erosion at supporting positions (Colts fans know this as well as anyone). And you can't lose 7 or 8 starters in one year and expect to compete for a Super Bowl. And then, your highly paid quarterback has to be able to carry your team for stretches at a time. As well as Flacco played in the playoffs, I'm not sure he's capable of doing that to the extent the Ravens will need him to be. But I think differently about Manning, Brady, Brees, and I think guys like Luck and Wilson will be more like Manning, Brady and Brees than like Flacco. So when it's time to pay those guys, you grin and bear it.