Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

castanzo being a rt?

colts1993

If Ijalana can come back healthy, I think he is better suited to LT and then we can move Castonzo to RT.  However, that is a very big "if".  I do think Castonzo is better suited to the right side though.  He doesn't have the technique or strength to keep up with the premier pass rushers in the league yet.  I wouldn't be upset if he stayed on the left side, but I think he would be better on the right

I think Castanzo could play either. He plays a little flat footed to me, which means he's trying to rely more on his power than speed. Perhaps a good OL coach could fix that, because these D-linemen are becoming freaks and you have to be fleet footed to be a good left tackle in today's NFL. He's still young and he really doesn't have a solid unit around him, so I'm betting some of his poor play is due to that. I don't think he's been bad, but he can improve dramatically.

Castonzo's game is similar to Joe Staley and Duane Brown's, at least in their early career. A very strong run blocker, but needs to work a little on his footwork against the faster edge rushers. Staley and Brown were the same way, and in the last couple years they really got it together. For my money, I'd take both those guys well-roundedness over Joe Thomas who is a shutdown pass blocker, but very lacking in the run game. I think Castonzo will become a truly elite LT, but patience is important for his development. Moving him to RT, while I think he could make the transition, would be pointless. People get caught up on the whole 'LT is a pass blocker, RT is a run blocker' stereotype too much. Pressure in your face can be just as hard to deal with as pressure from your blindside.

The worry with moving AC to the right side is this....

He won't like it and that perhaps impacts his performance.

The guy played left tackle at BC and he was drafted to be the Colts LT.    The position pays much more than the right side.  So, by moving AC we've just cut his earning power dramatically.    He'll be furious and when his contract is up,  it's goodbye AC....   and, until he leaves,  the question becomes does he play the right side well?

That's the worry....

Someone brought this up the other day in one of the other 7500 move AC to RT threads. Someone mentioned the fact that his first year in the league, there was a lockout so his first offseason year was stunted in pro growth. His second year he was injured in the offseason so his second year growth was stunted a but too. We have 2 years to see if this kid can make the jump up in his pro game and this offseason he is healthy and reportedly working out to beef up. On a oline that was as bad as ours last season, AC was the lone stand out and I think the fact he has never played RT before, no sense in making a switch now. You either commit to him and coach him up each year to get better or you look for another option nearing next years draft if you don't see elite (top 10) LT development. You dance with who you brought to the dance and like it :)

Well, we're not going to get a better LT in free agency. Castonzo was a low first round pick himself, has shown improvement, and now has some experience to build off of going forward. Is there a rookie LT we'd be in a position to get that'd be good enough to force Castonzo to the right side next season? I doubt it.

Now, will there be a RT available with our 1st or 3rd rounder that can upgrade the position and pair with Castonzo to give us a pair of bookend tackles for the future? That's much more likely to happen IMO. Keep an eye on guys like Fluker, Menelik Watson, and Kyle Long throughout the draft process.

Wasn't that the original plan? Castanzo was suppose to protect Peyton's left side until Ijilana seemed worthy of taking the left. Then they wanted AC on the right.

I don't think that was ever the plan. He was always viewed as a RT/OG prospect for us by management and coaches even before the ACL tears.

The only people who wanted him on the left side were some fans who thought Castonzo was overrated and, for some reason, wanted Ijalana there instead. 

Castonzo's game is similar to Joe Staley and Duane Brown's, at least in their early career. A very strong run blocker, but needs to work a little on his footwork against the faster edge rushers. Staley and Brown were the same way, and in the last couple years they really got it together. For my money, I'd take both those guys well-roundedness over Joe Thomas who is a shutdown pass blocker, but very lacking in the run game. I think Castonzo will become a truly elite LT, but patience is important for his development. Moving him to RT, while I think he could make the transition, would be pointless. People get caught up on the whole 'LT is a pass blocker, RT is a run blocker' stereotype too much. Pressure in your face can be just as hard to deal with as pressure from your blindside.

I too think that Castanzo is a really good run blocker. He gets to the 2nd level well and moves very well for a big man. Remember, he missed quite a few games his first year so in terms of NFL experience he doesn't have 2 full seasons.

I don't think that was ever the plan. He was always viewed as a RT/OG prospect for us by management and coaches even before the ACL tears.

The only people who wanted him on the left side were some fans who thought Castonzo was overrated and, for some reason, wanted Ijalana there instead. 

I never thought Ijilana a tackle. He was pretty good at left guard before he went down against the Bucs. Don't know why, but I thought that the was Polian's plan. I guess I just read someone's opinion, and didn't care to look it up.

I was gonna say, I thought they really like Ijalana at RG

How would you guys feel if we got a stud LT in free agency and made AC a RT? do you think hell transition well? why or why not? i personally think he will eventually come along but not within a season.

Here's another thought...Guards are a lot cheaper than Tackles. There are a number of elite guards in FA this year. Sign one or two of those guys and run the ball with success. Then, play action pass off of the run game success(like the WCO offense philosiphy)and watch how much better your pass protection gets....

As Poor a season as Castonzo had with his Pass blocking, LT has to be a concern.

We are now counting on him to improve quite a bit and he just may not be able to do that.

So a Simple answer to your question is, If we bring someone in that can play the Position better than him Great, and I couldn`t care less how he feels about it, I would expect him to play as good as he can and contribute to the TEAM.

Ijalana was to be our RT to replace Diem. He showed the footwork and ability to be considered for LT maybe too.

And Guard was a position he could be good at. His injuries have been a Huge deal.

I was gonna say, I thought they really like Ijalana at RG

I really hope he can beat the odds and contribute for us, and if he does, it'll be at guard. 

I think Polian was the driving force behind Ben starting his career at RT. Once he tore his knee up and came back 20 lbs heavier, the new staff put him purely at guard (which is where a lot of people had him projected to begin with).

To all those who repeatedly suggest AC can and should be moved to RT... I don't mean to challenge your infinite wisdom in this idea (OK, maybe a little)...

Can any of you provide any evidence of the FO or coaching staff ever even hinting at this? Or maybe share a scouting report (no, past threads on the subject don't suffice) that backs up claims that he is better suited on the right?

If someone better is brought in, and he supplants AC in the role, I'm great with that, and concede that it is possible. But how well did Freeney do with the "just shift him"... from a position he's played his whole career to something totally different, besides also being on the DLine?

I think a move from LT to RT would be far more challenging to most athletes than you seem to imagine.

This topic is a huge pet peeve of mine. Castanzo needs to stay right where he's at. He will be a very good LT in this league for a long time.

I agree. 

Even if we sign a big name FA LT like Jake Long, I would move him to RT instead of Costanzo. 

I agree. 

Even if we sign a big name FA LT like Jake Long, I would move him to RT instead of Costanzo. 

yaaaa....we aren't going to spend 8-10 mil on a big name (such as Jake Long) and then move him to RT.....better off spending less on a guy that plays RT or is suited for RT....

with that said, RT's don't get the love like LT's, so i'm not really sure who all is available in FA in terms of RT options.

yaaaa....we aren't going to spend 8-10 mil on a big name (such as Jake Long) and then move him to RT.....better off spending less on a guy that plays RT or is suited for RT....

with that said, RT's don't get the love like LT's, so i'm not really sure who all is available in FA in terms of RT options.

VOLMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What stud LT would we get? I don't see it happening.

Albert , Bushrod . Long or Beatty would be players that could be available. Probably Albert is the most likely to be retained , but I woudn't be shocked to see the Cots sign one of the other three. 

If AC packs on those pounds like he is supposed to have (based on McAfee's tweets), we can see if his LT potential is realized. Remember, Tarik Glenn did not become a Pro Bowler (2004-2006) till around the time Freeney was drafted (2002). He went against the best in Freeney and had the few years in the NFL under his belt, that is when our offense also took off, IMO.

This 3rd year is where I expect Castanzo to truly show us what he can do.

I agree but I'm not sure there are too many guys out there that fit the blll. Volmer woud be great but no way NE lets him go. So IMO it's possible that if the Colts want to shore up the tackle position in a hurry , they may have to sign one of the left tackles on the market. 

I agree but I'm not sure there are too many guys out there that fit the blll. Volmer woud be great but no way NE lets him go. So IMO it's possible that if the Colts want to shore up the tackle position in a hurry , they may have to sign one of the left tackles on the market. 

Well that I agree with, but they aren't going to sign a "Jake Long" name and pay 8-10 mil just to move him to RT

If Ijalana can come back healthy, I think he is better suited to LT and then we can move Castonzo to RT.  However, that is a very big "if".  I do think Castonzo is better suited to the right side though.  He doesn't have the technique or strength to keep up with the premier pass rushers in the league yet.  I wouldn't be upset if he stayed on the left side, but I think he would be better on the right

I don't think this is ever happening.  I am sure you could be right on the talent aspect, but Ijalana being moved anywhere at this point is a dream.  He hasn't really contributed anywhere, and to think he'll displace our durable, reliable starting LT is ludicrous.  I'm not saying that Ijalana wouldn't play the position better, but I simply doubt that he'll be around long enough and it'll just put the line in flux.  We need continuity.  Our problems generally didn't come from Castanzo's side, and when they did, it was few and far between.

Well that I agree with, but they aren't going to sign a "Jake Long" name and pay 8-10 mil just to move him to RT

No , I don't think the objective is to move Castanzo to LT. But then again we can't be sure of anything. What I'm thinking is if the Colts feel the best way to upgrade the line is to sign of of the Lt's that hit the market , they might go that route. Is it the cheapest way to go ? Probably not , but I think even if they draft a guard at 24 , they will have to sign at least one good FA offensive linemen. Thing is maybe they will opt to spend 9-10 mill on a LT than overpay and spend maybe 7.5 on someone like Levitre. 

This is a very tough topic as we really don't know how the Colts felt Castanzo did at LT last year. Also do they feel he has the tools to excell at LT. If the answer is no , don't be surprised to see them go the expensive route and protect Luck's blindside going forward.

I don't expect much if anything from Ijalana next year. Weren't there some strong rumors that the current regime felt that he flat out couldn't play and was going to be cut prior to him getting injured? Find a RT in free agency. AC is staying put.

There were rumors, but I wouldn't call them strong. At the time, I thought they were pretty flimsy, actually.