Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

castanzo being a rt?

colts1993

I would love to see Ijalana win the LG position, seems perfectly built for it despite limited exposure to the position. He is primarily a pass blocker though but with all the time out with the knee injuries he could come back much bulkier in the upper body that could help a lot with pushing back the d-line.

I am a big believer in pedigree, many scouts had Castonzo as the number one O-Lineman in the draft and a top 10 talent, don't forget that our Front Office expressed utter shock at him being available at 22 in 2011. And Ijalana was a top 50 player and top 8 lineman from that class as well.

The reason I put merit in these things is because a lot of people watch a lot of tape, know the game at an incredibly detailed and intricate level and make a profession out of judging the potential of these players. Both of these players were considered to be hugely in demand talents. I realize out O-Line scouting at the time was not up to par but there was a lot of praise and interest in both these players from analysts and other team's scouts.

If Ijalana gets over the knee problems I would love to see him in the line-up next year.

I don't expect much if anything from Ijalana next year. Weren't there some strong rumors that the current regime felt that he flat out couldn't play and was going to be cut prior to him getting injured? Find a RT in free agency. AC is staying put.

I would think if the current regime really didn't think he could play,   they would have cut him by now.

Otherwise, I don't know what they're waiting for....

Perhaps past a certain date that are different cap hits for players with time left on their contract?     Dunno?

Guess we'll find out more in the next 3 weeks or so, as we approach the FA signing period and the new calendar year for the NFL...

Albert , Bushrod . Long or Beatty would be players that could be available. Probably Albert is the most likely to be retained , but I woudn't be shocked to see the Cots sign one of the other three. 

All four of those guys are left tackles.   The only way they're signing with the Colts is (A)  we make them our left tackle,  or (B) they agree to play right tackle, but are paid like a left tackle.    And even then, I'm not sure they'd be agreeable to the switch....

I agree but I'm not sure there are too many guys out there that fit the blll. Volmer woud be great but no way NE lets him go. So IMO it's possible that if the Colts want to shore up the tackle position in a hurry , they may have to sign one of the left tackles on the market. 

I think Gosder Cherilus would be a very good option at RT.  There is a good chance he would come much cheaper than some of the bigger name tackles like Vollmer (definitely cheaper than the big name LTs), and play as good or better.

I would think if the current regime really didn't think he could play,   they would have cut him by now.

Otherwise, I don't know what they're waiting for....

Perhaps past a certain date that are different cap hits for players with time left on their contract?     Dunno?

Guess we'll find out more in the next 3 weeks or so, as we approach the FA signing period and the new calendar year for the NFL...

Well they did waive him when he was injured and he passed through waivers so he remained on the roster and went to IR. Just stating what i heard from several different radio shows but who knows what's factual.

How would you guys feel if we got a stud LT in free agency and made AC a RT? do you think hell transition well? why or why not? i personally think he will eventually come along but not within a season.

Play Castanzo at center I don't care.  Just put together a good offensive line!

To me nothing is more important this off-season than getting enough quality Olinemen.  I salute the effort last years group gave but Grigson was really trying to make chicken salad out of chicken % last year.  This year we have the cash to spend and there are going to be a bunch of quality linemen available via FA and the draft.