Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae davis

Godeepreggie

It depends how you define a true number 1. In some peoples' minds, a true number 1 would equate to Darelle Revis. If that's the case, then not even Darelle Revis may still be a true #1.

I think that Vontae is a solid defender, with top-notch physical skills, and the potential to be great. I would say that he can be a true #1 corner because he showed that he can be, at times. He just needs to show it more consistantly.

we cant judge him just yet. after what i saw in the last 2 reg season games and the WC game, i have REALLY high expectations for him this upcoming season. If he can get 60 tackles, 6-8 INT's and 20-30 pass deflections in 2013-2014, then this conversation is over.

That's fair.  NCF said he may be in the top half of the league, that makes him a true #1.  I'm not sure if there are too many teams where he couldn't start.

I think hes just as good as Revis. No one throws in either players direction. You never hear thier names during the games which means the coverage is excellent. Does anyone know how to get the stats on both players to compare? Ya know, like apples to apples.

I think hes just as good as Revis. No one throws in either players direction. You never hear thier names during the games which means the coverage is excellent. Does anyone know how to get the stats on both players to compare? Ya know, like apples to apples.

Davis is nowhere close to Revis.

i remember in the game against the ravens, they threw 2 passes early on against him, one was deflected and the other was a dropped INT. after that, davis and who ever he was covering disappeared.

that was torrey smith he shut down in the ravens game then they just threw it to boldin who basically made cassius vaughn look like a hs corner :-X

I think Davis is a #1 cb on whatever team he plays on as long as Revis isnt on the  same team. He played great for us late in the season after he got over his injuries and got in better game shape. And like several here have already said whoever he was covering late in the season seemed to disappear. Thats the part I love, shut down the pass and make them try to run. We just need another solid #2. And I dont think they are on the roster yet.

How many of the 32 GM`s would take TWO Vontaes as their starting CB`s? Over half?

I would kill to have another Vontae. I think the guy, with a solid offseason, will become a top-5 corner this year. He's hands down one of the best run defending corners in the league and I believe he's only gonna get better against the pass.

Can't argue with you there. Joe Flacco definitely avoided Davis for majority of that WC Game. But then...... you have guys like Vaughn who can be easily Targeted :sigh:

Once he got comfortable and healthy, Davis was on a mission....

gets a little handsy, but is that a bad thing?

Nothing wrong with a CB playing with a chip on his shoulder. But a few of those Holding & Pass Interference calls were iffy. But once we get a Pass Rush, he won't have to worry about being in coverage that long like he was on some plays this year

Nothing wrong with a CB playing with a chip on his shoulder. But a few of those Holding & Pass Interference calls were iffy. But once we get a Pass Rush, he won't have to worry about being in coverage that long like he was on some plays this year

And that will make Davis that much better....

good point

He has the ability to be a #1, but I still want another #1. Can never have too many quality Corners imo.

Tell that to Philly! Wth happened to them? I thought their secondary was coming to be good. Went from paper champs to not even making playoffs. Is be highly * to be a Philly fan.

Tell that to Philly! Wth happened to them? I thought their secondary was coming to be good. Went from paper champs to not even making playoffs. Is be highly * to be a Philly fan.

I don't watch Philly games on principle, but I don't believe DRC was ever thought to be that good anyway. I will say I'd still take Asomugha, contract and all.

Well they had drc, asomugha and forget the third guy. think they wound up trading him. So 2 #1's and a solid 2 at least. I do agree we need a good solid #2 but I think just by improving our front 4 helps out the secondary big time

Asante Samuels: Traded to the Atlanta Falcons

I don't watch Philly games on principle, but I don't believe DRC was ever thought to be that good anyway. I will say I'd still take Asomugha, contract and all.

According to PFF, Asomugha rated 103 out of 113 qualifying CBs in pass coverage (-7.3), just to compare, Cassius Vaughn rated 86 out of 113 in pass coverage (-3.6), and DRC was 42/113 pass coverage (+2.9).

I think both guys would be more comfortable in our man coverage defense, but I certainly wouldn't pay full price for Asomugha.

That was it! From the pats right? Did they sign him as a free agent or traded? That was back when BB started getting ride of or letting his top D guys go

Started in NE, then went to Philly. Then once they got Nnamdi & DRC, felt the Secondary was too crowded especially after drafting Brandon Boykin shipped Asante to Atlanta