Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what draft pick could we get out of Mathis?

throwing BBZ

Considering he has a cap hit of $10,750,000 and that teams that really need pass rush help draft before we do such as the Jags, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Chiefs and can just draft younger cheaper pass rushers who will in all probability put up similar numbers that Mathis has or maybe even better then I doubt we get much of anything for him, maybe our 5th back which is probably pushing it, I'd consider it

You know Andrew Luck had a great year last year and it's only a matter of time before his value starts going down I think we should start shopping him while we are at it!  If we can get a third for Mathis I bet we can get a top five overall pick for Luck! 

/Sarcasm off

If the Colts were going to part ways with Mathis it would have been last year when he was free agent.  They are already looking at giving up one of the two (maybe three depending on how you feel about Davis) players on defense that other teams honestly fear in Freeney (and even if he doesn't have great stats watch how teams play him) why would they give up one of the others in Mathis? The Colts proved last year they are a playoff level team and if you are one of those teams you don't trade away your Pro-Bowl level players for draft picks. 

Mathis played decent in this D for the 12 games he suited up. 33 tackles and 8 sacks. He definitely can still run, but I would say he is average at best Against the run. JMO.

Again, I would rather put the money on someone younger, as his body has a lot of wear and I have a hard time seeing his production being anything special going forward.

And again, a 3rd rd pick in this draft should deliver a good starter going forward. Yes I have doubts we could get a 3rd.

As next season is just another of several long steps this roster will take to get a bunch of New starters on it, I don`t see an "Older" Mathis making much of a difference over the Next Man Up during the remainder of his Well Paid contract.

I would have to go with Freeman as our best defender, and Vontae number two. Mathis, Redding, and Bethea were all decent, and just a Bunch of real Mediocrity after that.

Simpley because he is older, has trade value?, and makes quite a bit of money.

Definitely would want Spencer or Kruger to play his position for his Salary over the next 3 years.

Boy, that's a guy I'd give a 3rd round pick for!  He's old, makes a bunch of money, and replaceable at his salary by someone younger!

I thought about this earlier, and theres no way i would trade Mathis. unlike Freeney, Mathis' body is perfect for the position. he can move east to west quickly. He had a GREAT year in seeing that it was his first ever played in a 3-4. Mathis is a Ware/Barwin kinda guy EASILY. Hes going to be a playmaker next year too. PLUS=hes a Colt through and through. Look, the only reason we get rid of BIG players is because we cant afford them or they would have a better carreer in someone elses system ie, Manning and Freeney, but Irsay is a Fans Owner and if he can keep a fan favorite without sacrificing the rest of the team or a winning record, hes going to do it. Mathis isnt going anywhere. i know your as worried as I am about maximizing our potential in a Taylor-fitted Draft, but i really have faith in Grigson. SUPERBOWL 2014!!!!!!!!!!!

For the right deal, I'd trade almost anyone on the team.  If some GM on another team was crazy enough to part ways with a high draft pick for Mathis, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  With that being said, Mathis isn't going anywhere.  Teams are shedding salaries to get under the cap and there are much younger and cheaper players than Mathis out there. 

Mathis played decent in this D for the 12 games he suited up. 33 tackles and 8 sacks. He definitely can still run, but I would say he is average at best Against the run. JMO.

Again, I would rather put the money on someone younger, as his body has a lot of wear and I have a hard time seeing his production being anything special going forward.

And again, a 3rd rd pick in this draft should deliver a good starter going forward. Yes I have doubts we could get a 3rd.

As next season is just another of several long steps this roster will take to get a bunch of New starters on it, I don`t see an "Older" Mathis making much of a difference over the Next Man Up during the remainder of his Well Paid contract.

I would have to go with Freeman as our best defender, and Vontae number two. Mathis, Redding, and Bethea were all decent, and just a Bunch of real Mediocrity after that.

Im sorry, all i heard was "blah blah blah"

I don't imagine we'd get more than a #4 for Mathis,  and likely not even that high.

Remember Asante Samuel got traded to the Falcons a year or two ago and all he brought was a #7.

Expensive veteran players typically do not have the trade value that fans think they will.

All that said, I think we keep Mathis for more than just what he brings to the field, it's also his leadership on and off the field.   You need some veterans to show the younger players how things are done,  on AND off the field.

Freeney is likely gone.   But if you also suddenly trade Mathis, then the remaining players start to question all the talk we've heard for a year about 'family' and 'pulling together' and 'playing for one another' and 'having your teammates back'....

Suddenly, we look like a business that's just out to cut the expensive guy to get a younger cheaper guy and players start wondering when they're going to be cut/traded.    In other words, it becomes non-productive.

I vote for keeping Mathis, and I'm someone who thinks we gave him a contract that's a bit too rich for his age and longevity.

Well actually you could spend the money you saved on him to help pay for a Younger more expensive player who could Easily out produce him in this defense. And yes they overspent on his contract.

We know all about Irsay and keeping Team/fan Spirit. He was a .... for paying Freeney $14M & Mathis $9M per. The reason we could only afford MEAT FA`s last offseason. Except for Redding!

Considering he has a cap hit of $10,750,000 and that teams that really need pass rush help draft before we do such as the Jags, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Chiefs and can just draft younger cheaper pass rushers who will in all probability put up similar numbers that Mathis has or maybe even better then I doubt we get much of anything for him, maybe our 5th back which is probably pushing it, I'd consider it

Given what you just wrote, doesn't every other team in the NFL have the same info?

In the NFL, star players have very little trade value. 

I really don't get your logic here. 

So we trade him and let's be optimistic here, get a 3rd for him and lose his wage from the cap (would there be a guaranteed bonus penalty?). So that leaves us going into FA/Draft needing to find 3-4 OLBs, with the emphasis according to being on pass rushing (inst' this Robert's strength?!). What are we going to find then, in FA, Spencer aside most FAs are going to be older players unwanted by other teams for reasons of affordability/drop in production/system mismatch. Exactly the sort of reasons you were leveling as the motive for trading Mathis. 

From the draft point of view, yes I do believe we need to draft a 3-4 OLB (assuming we don't land Spencer), but if we do draft one we need to them to be more than just a situation pass rusher.So given our lack of picks and glaring needs elsewhere do you think we can draft not one but TWO of these players and still fill the holes that need filling? Even if by a minor miracle you find the diamonds in the rough, I wouldn't feel comfortable having too Rookies start at OLB, nor at losing the presence of Matthis on D. 

In short this idea would more than likely leave us in a far weaker position so I'll pass thanks and keep 98. 

Simpley because he is older, has trade value?, and makes quite a bit of money.

Definitely would want Spencer or Kruger to play his position for his Salary over the next 3 years.

And a 3rd rd. pick should be a good starter in a year or two as Robert is going downhill.

How do you figure he's going downhill?  He had a solid season and made the transition to the 3-4.  I think you're throwing nonsense, not BBS.

Boy, that's a guy I'd give a 3rd round pick for! He's old, makes a bunch of money, and replaceable at his salary by someone younger!

So flip the equation for a sec. I agree I wouldn't trade for him if I were GM of another team, but if you GM the Colts, and had a buyer willing to give a 3rd for old, expensive, replaceable Robert (your words, not mine), do you take it?

Where possible, I'd usually rather err on getting rid of a player a year too early, when they still have value, and try to get something in return before they exit stage left. A year too late and you pay too much, with no shot at getting any compensation.

Would I trade Mathis? Unless the ideal opportunity arises, no. But I'd absolutely consider offers.