Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne?

Dustin

Wayne or Harrison?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which receiver would you rather have on your team?

Reggie Wayne: 1072 catches / 13,063 yards / 78 TDs; 2nd most catches in postseason history

Marvin Harrison: 1102 catches / 14,580 yards / 128 TDs; NFL record for catches in a Season

Harrison's Best Season: 144 rec / 1722 yards / 11 TDs

Wayne's Best Season: 104 rec / 1510 yards / 10 TDs.

Harrison was great, but I feel like Reggie is better for the reasons that he has had better success with QBs that aren't named Peyton Manning and the fact that he has fantastic post-season numbers.

Inspired by the Harrison or Moss thread.

That's a difficult question to answer, guess ill go with Harrison because he was more explosive. He could stretch the field more with his speed and had somewhat better hands. Marvin's routes and little tricks were just ridiculous, maybe the best I've ever seen.

That's a difficult question to answer, guess ill go with Harrison because he was more explosive. He could stretch the field more with his speed and had somewhat better hands. Marvin's routes and little tricks were just ridiculous, maybe the best I've ever seen.

This says it all. Reggie is really good, but Marvin was unreal in his prime. DBs never knew what to expect from him. He had the route running ability to run the entire tree, but had the speed to stretch the field as well. I also think he has better hands than Reg. In his prime, Marvin couldn't be covered

Thought Luck said it best today on Cowherd...

The Colts aren't Luck's team, they are Reggie Wayne's team...

He is the vetern leader, something that Harrison never really was. Harrison was quiet & kept to himself & rarely let any personality show... Not that thos ethings are really neccesary, as Marvin is one of my alltime favorite recievers, but Reggie's leadership & character are second to none...

reggie all the way...

i can't vote for one over the other. As JoKeR stated,"Marvin's routes and little tricks were just ridiculous, maybe the best I've ever seen." Reggie has much better character, though. Reggie is willing to train rookies coming in to the league. Marvin wanted his numbers...

Harrison was a better receiver, but Wayne is really close. Wayne has good character, Harrison not too much! both played for the Colts, so I would vote "TIE" if that was an option.

Thought Luck said it best today on Cowherd...

The Colts aren't Luck's team, they are Reggie Wayne's team...

He is the vetern leader, something that Harrison never really was. Harrison was quiet & kept to himself & rarely let any personality show... Not that thos ethings are really neccesary, as Marvin is one of my alltime favorite recievers, but Reggie's leadership & character are second to none...

reggie all the way...

Nice response Buck.....out of likes.....

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day(proof) :)

I'll have to go with Marv. His route running was unparalleled, he was a sure handed catch, and he was able to stretch the field.

Marvin would shake defenders with half a stutter step then burn them deep. Reggie never did that, or we never had him do that. That is why we had Garcon. Reggie couldn't replace Marvin fully.

Marvin is the more athletically gifted of the two, and his production speaks for itself.

I love Wayne and Harrison equally, and having them together for those years was the reason we made the playoffs regularly.

Harrison gets the edge for me because he was smaller and faster. Marvin was a precise route runner and had the speed to get open. And who do you think Reggie learned how to be productive? From Marvin.

There is no wrong answer here both are # 1 in our hearts as Colts . This season was the season that Reggie Wayne stepped up to the plate & bought into what Chuck Pagano was selling & had his best season as a Colt with a rookie QB he picked up his game a notch I felt & payed dearly at times it seemed he put it all on the field & lead by example on a young offense that needed his leadership he excelled .

GÖ ÇΦLT§ ☺☺ ¥

Great question, Dustin.....

Early in his career...Marvin...

age 30 and over...Reggie..

(can I do that?)

I'm curious to why many people say this.

Marvin didn't start to decline until his knee injury which in relation to Reggie's career won't happen until this upcoming season.

So why has Reggie been better over 30 when Marvin has outperformed him at the respective age?

392 receptions Wayne since turning 30

437 for Harrison since turning 30

Harrison was turning 36 when he retired 

If Wayne stays healthy he likely moves past Harrison in regards to what they did after 30 next season 

also 5,780 yards for Harrison after 30

4,934 yards for Wayne after 30 so far, chances are pretty high he breaks that next year as well if he stays healthy

Harrison has outperformed him but you also have to account for the fact that we were playing musical QB as well O Line in 2011

392 receptions Wayne since turning 30

437 for Harrison since turning 30

Harrison was turning 36 when he retired 

If Wayne stays healthy he likely moves past Harrison in regards to what they did after 30 next season 

also 5,780 yards for Harrison after 30

4,934 yards for Wayne after 30 so far, chances are pretty high he breaks that next year as well if he stays healthy

Harrison has outperformed him but you also have to account for the fact that we were playing musical QB as well O Line in 2011

You state since 30, but the stats are since 31?

My screen name says who I enjoyed watching more than any other receiver and I believe that Marvin would have officially retired a Colt if not for the injury, which he got blocking down field. That said, I think when all is said and done, Reggie will have more catches and yards than Marvin.

I can not think of a tandem of receivers I would rather have and that includes Rice/Taylor.

harrison was only healthy until he was 34, so using his last two years of after 30 stats is not a true measure in making a comparison.

harrison played two years without manning. i would equate manning's first year to luck's, so the only playing with manning argument isn't a true measure ether.

rules have been changed to help the passing game, so just comparing stats isn't a true comparison of players ether.

harrison was a truly dominant player. if it wasn't for jerry rice playing the same time, he would have been the best in the nfl. wayne, although a top receiver,  has never been that kind of receiver in the nfl.

Pretty close. 

But I'll go with Reg. 

I think Marvin had the speed. Reggie has the leadership/size. 

Hands/Routes/Timing etc is so close its a wash. 

The TD and Speed debate are interesting. 

Marvin had 47TDs of 9yds or less....Reggie 28. 

Marvin had 39TDs of 30+yds.....Reggie has 22. 

Marvin had 87% of his TDs from Peyton. Reggie was 85%. 

Marvins Years without Wayne (98-02(reggie was non factor 01/02))...76g..528rec..7098yds...59TDs...All Games with Peyton...

Reggie Years without Marvin (07-12 (Marvin was non-factor07/08))...96g..578rec...7589....41TDs....4 Peyton years, 1 Luck, 1 Poo.

So without Reggie, Marvin Avgd about 6.9/93yds/.7TDs a game....All Peyton Years. 

Without Marvin, Reggie Avgd about 6rec/79yds/.4TDs....

Both have had 8 seasons over 1k Yards. 

I think Marvins one MONSTER year really has skewed his impact. You cant take away a players monster year, but it should be weighted as such. 

I'm curious to why many people say this.

Marvin didn't start to decline until his knee injury which in relation to Reggie's career won't happen until this upcoming season.

So why has Reggie been better over 30 when Marvin has outperformed him at the respective age?

Stryker..why do I say that?

Marvin's best year was age 30...over 1,700....and he had 1,000 yard seasons after that but nothing approaching the 1,700.

Reggie never had that 1,600, 1,700-yard year (Marvin has had a couple) but he's had four VERY strong seasons 4 of his BEST in the last four..AFTER age 30...

I thought Reggie's 960 yards (75 catches) receiving with 4 different QBs we got off the shelf in 2011..was better than any of Marvin's over-30 1,000 yard seasons and Reggie's 1345 in 2012 with a rookie QB is, I think the most yards ANY WR has ever CAUGHT from a rookie.QB..

and Marvin was a nonfactor at age 35 and beyond..due to his knee..

That's why i'd take Reggie over-30...and Marvin till age 30...

But like Paco says: we're debating cake and pie here...