Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading of current players by Grigson?

BProland85

With Grigson being much more aggressive to improve this team than Polian was, does anyone see him possibly trading any of our current players who can be expendable for draft picks? For example, I feel we could trade either Angerer or Conner at ILB and still be fine there. Who are some of your suggestions? Any good values for us?

I'm sure teams would be knocking down the door to trade for Angerer and Conner.........
1 season ago, eagles fans were crying about how they didnt have a MLB and how Angerer would have made so much sense if they had taken him lol

it can actually happen, but fans are crazy if we are getting anything higher than a 4th...and even then i dont think we will/should

The vast majority of our players have little value.    The vast majority of all NFL players (not just the Colts) have little trade value.

There just aren't many trades made in the NFL.   Teams don't like trading picks for some other teams cast offs.   And that's how they're viewed.   Teams are trying to trade players they don't want anymore.     Teams would rather hold out that the team can't trade them and eventually release them.    Then, the team would sign them as a Free Agent.

Most good players, like Angerer, might be worth a 5 or 6 to some team....   maybe.

But trades are incredibly rare.    It's an oddity of the NFL.

The vast majority of our players have little value. The vast majority of all NFL players (not just the Colts) have little trade value.

There just aren't many trades made in the NFL. Teams don't like trading picks for some other teams cast offs. And that's how they're viewed. Teams are trying to trade players they don't want anymore. Teams would rather hold out that the team can't trade them and eventually release them. Then, the team would sign them as a Free Agent.

Most good players, like Angerer, might be worth a 5 or 6 to some team.... maybe.

But trades are incredibly rare. It's an oddity of the NFL.

Trading big name players is pretty rare. But the colts made a few trades last year. The Davis trade was a pretty big one

I could see it possibly happening with Grigson's more aggressive style, but as another poster said, trades are an oddity anymore.

Other than the Davis trade or Talib trade, I don't remember another one that had a big impact on a team last year. But there always is one or two big trades that trade the fortunes of teams.

Trading big name players is pretty rare. But the colts made a few trades last year. The Davis trade was a pretty big one

All true....    but you can likely count on two hands the total number of trades made in the NFL last year.    And if I'm off, I'm likely not off by much.    It's just very rare.

All true....    but you can likely count on two hands the total number of trades made in the NFL last year.    And if I'm off, I'm likely not off by much.    It's just very rare.

There are plenty of trades but they are about 90% involving players that will probably be cut and have some waiver wire value. So instead of cutting the player , often they will find a team willing to give a conditional 6th or 7th rounder if the player reaches the specified conditions. The swap of Thomas for one of the Eagle players  Fokou or Lloyd was rare but the other part of the trade was common. That was the 7th conditional 7th rounder that we ended up getting back. As far as this thread goes , you are right , Grigson will not buid a better roster by trading players on the roster. But trades do happen , it's just that they are normally involving low value guys or once in a while a good player (Talib) in the last year of his contract

I don't think we have anyone that we would be willing to part with that would generate enough value to make us want to make a trade. 

The only way I could see us MAYBE making a trade is if we signed someone like Ed Reed and we shopped Bethea but that is highly unlikely.  I think IF we signed Reed we would either just move Reed or Bethea to the other safety spot. 

There are plenty of trades but they are about 90% involving players that will probably be cut and have some waiver wire value. So instead of cutting the player , often they will find a team willing to give a conditional 6th or 7th rounder if the player reaches the specified conditions. The swap of Thomas for one of the Eagle players  Fokou or Lloyd was rare but the other part of the trade was common. That was the 7th conditional 7th rounder that we ended up getting back. As far as this thread goes , you are right , Grigson will not buid a better roster by trading players on the roster. But trades do happen , it's just that they are normally involving low value guys or once in a while a good player (Talib) in the last year of his contract

For what it's worth (and it may not be much)  I was curious,  so I just went to NFL.com....   went to transactions...   clicked on every month and searched for the word 'trade'....

Came up 31 times.    Most are, as you describe. small trades.   And, again, no surprise,  Indy led by far with the most trades.   I didn't count them but we came up all the time. 

One big note....    for reasons that I did not understand,  these trades did not include trades made at the NFL Draft....  I'm sure there were likely one to two dozen.    Not an insignificant amount for 3-days.

But for the other 362 days,   there were 31 trades.     And there are 32 teams.

Again....   just for what it's worth.....

I totally disagree with trading Conner or Angerer. 1st of all.....without good line play you need many good ILB's in a 3-4 and we have them, its the only defensive position that is set. Conner was hurt this year at times, so was Freeman and Angerer was never 100% because his foot needed season ending surgery and he put it off to help where he could. Those that say trade Angerer would be crying for the next 8-10 years as he would turn in beast mode performance year after year. Don't fix it, if it aint broken, giving away a position of strength just to get draft pick/picks does nothing for the team, because now we will be using those pick/picks to replace the guys we just traded.

This team does not have a "wealth" of talent at any position to trade anything of signifigance away. First you have to have too much talent somewhere to afford to trade.....the Colts are on the opposite end of that spectrum. Angerer Freeman will be a dominant pair of ILB's for years to come (Conner will be a great fill in for those two for injury or when they need a blow) if we can find our own siragusa,ngata to space eat in front of them...the injuries should decrease and we will see some Ray Lewis in his prime type performance out of both men.

Let the dogs hunt!

Yes this.

We still have to maintain depth, because injuries still happen.

I wouldn't mind seeing Satele traded for a nice steak dinner or a couple of new Gatorade jugs.

I read all of the posts to say Satele.  I just posted same opinion in the Colts.com Coach Gilbert Thread.  I do not think I would trade him for Angus alone, but get a pick for him?  :spit:   See if he can play guard?  Shipley was better in technique and disguise at the line of scrimmage....without question! :thmup:  

Conner is the best run LB we have...there are teams who want him.  Bad thing about it is...I like him too so he stays!!!  Wait until the true 3/4 settles in and we see him unleashed on a QB.....the kid can hit.  I 'personally' do not feel he has reached his ceiling...my opinion only!!   :)

There is virtually no value to trading guys like Angerer & Conner. They have way more value to the Colts than to anyone else. A 6th rounder, maybe, is all that either would command. And that is a huge maybe. So why would they give a starting caliber player under their cheap rookie contract for a 6th round pick?

For what it's worth (and it may not be much)  I was curious,  so I just went to NFL.com....   went to transactions...   clicked on every month and searched for the word 'trade'....

Came up 31 times.    Most are, as you describe. small trades.   And, again, no surprise,  Indy led by far with the most trades.   I didn't count them but we came up all the time. 

One big note....    for reasons that I did not understand,  these trades did not include trades made at the NFL Draft....  I'm sure there were likely one to two dozen.    Not an insignificant amount for 3-days.

But for the other 362 days,   there were 31 trades.     And there are 32 teams.

Again....   just for what it's worth.....

If you go to a draft site , for instance google 2012 draft , a lot of the sites list the trades that took place in that draft. Not too many involve players , pretty much all involve just picks in that draft and future picks. I think most all the player trades are right before the last two player cuts. Then a few near the trade deadline where a contender might pick up a player in a Talib type deal. 32 sounds about right .

We should trade Luck for a bag full of high picks....

Oops, sorry, that was some people's thinking last year. Time flies....

And if either the Dolphins or Eagles were willing to trade us a handful or more of 1st and 2nd round draft picks along with either Tannehill or Foles, then I'd still take it into serious consideration. ;)