Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 09/07

sb41champs

Not letting Jay Cutler get too comfortable in the pocket will be key. We need to force him to run around which will inevitably cause him to make mistakes.

We also need to establish some kind of run game. We cant let them sit back in coverage and play only seven in the box the whole game.

:2c:

Stopping the run! I believe that the Bears are going to try to run all day long. I know this is a tall order, but I think the Colts need to worry mainly about the run, and trust the secondary to contain the passing game. I believe that Davis can control Marshall, its up to the others to step up. And also, 3rd down pressure is key. Blitzing on 3rd down, with Freeney, Mathis, or both to pressure Cutler. If the Colts can at least slow down the run, they have a good chance at winning this game.

Run Defense and stoping 3rd down coversion. We have got to set the edges and we cant over penatrate. That's been part of our problem with Run D is sometimes we penatrate too much and that cretes holes and cutback lanes, I saw it against cincy. The key to stopping the run is not actually getting a bunch of penatration like people think, you just want a good push, linemen drawing thier double teams keeping your linebackers free to come fill the gaps. Then third down our guys need to play lockdown D. If we can keep them under 40% third down conversion I think well be ok. Now the offensive Line I think will do alright, they may struggle the first couple possesions but I think they will adjust. Remember It's gonna take TIME for them to fully come together.

1.setting the edge

2.pressure on Cutler

3.using the run to set up playaction short quick routes to make up for our O Line problems

4.running the ball enough to keep there pass rushers honest

5.I'd also like to see some screens and draw plays

6.creating a turnover

Plenty of key things to touch on. but i would have to say

1. Win the 3rd down battle. we have to stay on the field with our offense kill the clock. and get their O off the field.

2. i know we are worried about our O[line but i think we will be ok. i think we will see different things playcalling wise.

3. Win the ST battle. field position will be key i think Mcafee will effectively punt when need be. coffin corners and such.

4. We just have to execute. we have the talent we have the ability now just have to excute and want it more.

Get off the field on third down.

When the red zone battle. We have to come away with touchdowns and hold the bears to field goals.

And keep knocking Cutler off his spot and the secondary cause him to hold the ball longer than he want. And getting pressure so Cutler has to release the ball before he wants to and allow our secondary to jump a couple routes from time to time

1. Pin them deep on special teams...(directional kicking, big hits, and no mistakes)

2. Create good field position with an opportunistic and aggressive return game.

3. 1st down yardage against the Bears is critical in keeping them off balance. (TE the Cover 2 to death....and use the backs too)

4. Disguise...disguise disguise on defense....never let them know where you are coming from with the heat.

5. Make Marshall and Cutler earn their money....Davis needs to be ready to show the Bears what he has...and great help from Zibby, Beatha and the boys....TEAM defense...gang tackling....wrap em up!!!

6. If/When we get a lead...no conservatism on the defensive side....continue to attack....I never want to see a prevent defense again....not even if it is 84-0 like the Ok State Sav State game......GO :colts:

What do YOU think are the "keys to victory" over the Bears this Sunday ??

Pass protection.......we need 30-31 points to beat them...

If we can protect..they have to blitz (which they dont do much) and then we get single coverage thta Luck shoukld exploit aftre he settles down...

If we can keep them on the field for 40 passing plays...they are an old team defensively and they can wear down.

But we have to survive the first quarter in a very hostile enviroment.

If we win the toss....take the ball....we need a shot at scoring first

balanced attack to set up playaction 35 passes to 27 runs should make them respect the run,we dont have to run for a ton of yards just enough to make them creep up in the box, if we can get 4 yards on almost every carry on 27 carries that will force them to respect the run. chip and release a Tight End on Peppers every play try to wear him down by the start of the 4th quarter

I'll just break down what I feel we need to do on offense.

Our O-line is an area of weakness, especially with Reitz out. We need to neutralize their pass rush by establishing the threat of a run, and from that, protect Luck with play-actions and bootlegs. The short passing game has to be effective as well, especially if we struggle establishing the run early. The Bears won't do that much blitzing (because they won't need to) so we have to tire out Peppers by moving the pocket with lots of roll-outs. I expect us to throw in a few end arounds (and fakes) to keep them honest in run support as well. If we run a lot of screens, I expect them to be mainly to our receivers, as the Bears front 7 are pretty disciplined in containing screens to running backs.

A quick striking offense is nice, but for this game, I feel focusing on getting big plays will get us into more trouble. The Bears actually play an effective form of cover 2, which means, they'll be especially hard to beat deep. We need to do what teams have done to our defense for years and pick them off 4-5 yards at a time. Patience and discipline are the keys to victory for us.