• 3.7k views
  6. montori hughes

• 12 replies
    • 1.2k views
  7. Too Conservative?

• 25 replies
    • 2.2k views
  • 2024 Season Tickets

• I don't know if they handed him the job, but yeah, the OL depth in 2022 was severely lacking. I have always viewed Pinter as a center only, so starting him at guard wasn't my favorite decision. He started the first three games, then got benched. Ryan Kelly got hurt in Week 5 vs the Broncos, so Pinter finished that game, but didn't play more than five offensive snaps the rest of the season. So however they reached the decision to make him the opening day starter, at least they moved off that idea pretty quickly.   I think there have been far more egregious and more consequential decisions, by the way. Scott Tolzien in 2017 immediately comes to mind.
    • And there is no issue having (2) big Guard contracts if your (2) Tackles are on rookie deals.     I'm not sure why so many doubters of the possibility, never seem to correlate it with common NFL practices, of tackles moving inside later in their career, to extend it.     Everyone just wants to be right about something, instead of looking objectively at it.     If Sparano thinks: Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Smith, Freeland/ or Goncalves    Is better than: Raimann, Nelson, Kelly, Fries, Smith     They will do it.   Also got Bortolini in there trying to battle for a spot.
    • The idea that Smith could be a guard didn't originate with the fans at all. Smith was a guard in college, and Ballard viewed him as a guard prospect when they drafted him. The Colts had an opening at RT in 2018, and early in the season, they put Smith into the lineup at RT, and kept him there.    That was a long time ago, and Smith has proven himself as a really good RT. His athleticism and technical ability have mostly compensated for his lack of length on the outside. But it's common for NFL tackles to move inside as they get older and their athleticism drops a notch.   I personally think guard play is just as important as tackle play, and RG is the weakest spot on the OL right now, so I have no problem with the idea of moving Smith inside, even if he's still performing well at RT. If -- IF -- it would improve the overall line play, it should be considered. The question is whether Smith would be an improvement at RG (I think he would), and whether we have a RT candidate who can take Smith's place without a significant drop off (I don't think we do, not yet).    Acting like Colts fans just came up with this idea is revisionist. The Colts viewed Smith as a guard when they drafted him, and it's common for OTs to move inside. I'm not obsessed with the idea, but it's also not entirely wild-eyed.
    • Partly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Variable winds with humidity.  
  • Topics