Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

True or False: Week 1 Edition

Defjamz26

Deon Cain  

101 members have voted

1. 1. True or False: Deon Cain Will Be the #2 Teceiver for the Colts before the end of the season?

• True
    • False

With the draft done, there really isn’t much to discuss. So I figured I’d start a weekly (possibly daily) little topic for everyone to have some discussion about. I’ll try and avoid overdone topics about Ryan Grigson, Pagano, etc...

So this week we’ll start with something I saw on Instagram. 

I said yes. He's the 2nd most talented WR on the roster right now. If he has a productive season with Luck, I think he shows how good he is and becomes our no2. If Grant or Rogers is our no2 by the end of the season, then we really didn't improve at all at the position. Personally I'd say it's either Cain or Fountain, with a slight edge to Cain.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I said yes. He's the 2nd most talented WR on the roster right now. If he has a productive season with Luck, I think he shows how good he is and becomes our no2. If Grant or Rogers is our no2 by the end of the season, then we really didn't improve at all at the position. Personally I'd say it's either Cain or Fountain, with a slight edge to Cain.

You’re sleeping on Grant

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

You’re sleeping on Grant

I don't think he's very good, personally. He's a no3 at best on a good team. Cain and Fountain are more talented than him and have more potential. Grant will start out as the no2 receiver, but I'd be very disappointed if he ended up the no2 receiver at the end of the season, barring some large breakout from him. He's a JAG to me.

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Grant or Rogers is our no2 by the end of the season, then we really didn't improve at all at the position. 

Meh, not sure I buy this premise. If coaching improves & if Reich & Sirianni truly game-plan to utilize the strengths of the players, then the team as a whole should improve. 

I believe an o.k. or good player can become great if put into the right position...

• Like 5

It's hard for a rookie to break into a #2 spot. For the most part Cain will be just getting used to the speed and not getting baited by veteran d-backs. The law of averages says 2 -3 years for most receivers to learn the position inside out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

Meh, not sure I buy this premise. If coaching improves & if Reich & Sirianni truly game-plan to utilize the strengths of the players, then the team as a whole should improve. 

I believe an o.k. or good player can become great if put into the right position...

Oh, I believe the team will improve as a whole. Just doubting the WR position will if Grant or Rogers remains the no2 WR by the end of the season. It would be like replacing our other depth receivers with new depth receivers. On this particular team, one of Cain and Fountain should be able to become the no2 WR by season's end. Grant and Rogers aren't a very high benchmark to beat. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's hard for a rookie to break into a #2 spot. For the most part Cain will be just getting used to the speed and not getting baited by veteran d-backs. The law of averages says 2 -3 years for most receivers to learn the position inside out.

Well, on this team, the no2 is Ryan Grant right now. That's not much of a hurdle to clear. If one of these guys is good enough, they'll do it. WR's are breaking out at a quicker pace now than ever before in a heavy passing league. This isn't the 90s anymore. All the rookies will get their shots. If they're good enough, they will outperform the veterans based on talent. I think Cain and Fountain are more talented than Grant and Rogers, and they'll get the opportunities and run with it.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, on this team, the no2 is Ryan Grant right now. That's not much of a hurdle to clear. If one of these guys is good enough, they'll do it. WR's are breaking out at a quicker pace now than ever before in a heavy passing league. This isn't the 90s anymore. All the rookies will get their shots. If they're good enough, they will outperform the veterans based on talent. I think Cain and Fountain are more talented than Grant and Rogers, and they'll get the opportunities and run with it.

Not being argumentative but it being the 2000's or the 90s makes no difference to a rookie getting used to the speed of the NFL and the craftiness of a veteran covering him.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Not being argumentative but it being the 2000's or the 90s makes no difference to a rookie getting used to the speed of the NFL and the craftiness of a veteran covering him.

It does make a difference when a QB used to throw for 3,000 passing yards a season and now they can throw up to 5,000 yards a season. That's a lot more opportunities in the pass game for the rookies, and a main reason why they are breaking out quicker than ever. Some don't make it still, but they get a lot more chances, and if they have the talent, they will show it every game with extra targets and hopefully receptions when they haul the ball in. They may take just as long to adapt to the NFL, but their impact will be bigger because of the larger emphasis on the passing game if that makes sense. If Cain or Fountain show they can handle the workload, they will get plenty of opportunities, especially if Luck throws for around 5,000 yards and is healthy. I would expect either Cain or Fountain to get 800+ yards receiving their rookie year.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh, I believe the team will improve as a whole. Just doubting the WR position will if Grant or Rogers remains the no2 WR by the end of the season. It would be like replacing our other depth receivers with new depth receivers. On this particular team, one of Cain and Fountain should be able to become the no2 WR by season's end. Grant and Rogers aren't a very high benchmark to beat. 

Lol... Ok.

I'm just not big on labels or too overly concerned with who is the #2 WR etc. & after hearing the defensive strategy & seeing the draft, I don't think it's of major concern for the coaching staff either...

I also won't be terribly surprised if the wr with the 2nd most yards somehow isn't the same wr with the 2nd most snaps, especially according to how effective Ebron & Doyle are in the new offense...

Anyways, I hope all the Colts WRs do well and can contribute. Just not a fan of the premise, I think that it is limiting.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, but he'll probably hit the rookie wall though

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol... Ok.

I'm just not big on labels or too overly concerned with who is the #2 WR etc. & after hearing the defensive strategy & seeing the draft, I don't think it's of major concern for the coaching staff either...

I also won't be terribly surprised if the wr with the 2nd most yards somehow isn't the same wr with the 2nd most snaps, especially according to how effective Ebron & Doyle are in the new offense...

Anyways, I hope all the Colts WRs do well and can contribute. Just not a fan of the premise, I think that it is limiting.

If Hilton got 1,000 yards and Grant, Rogers, Cain, and Fountain got 500 yards each as well, then spread the rest among the TE's and RB's, I'd be fine. I just don't believe Grant and Rogers are anything special. I think they'll last another year or two until we draft a solid no2 or replace them via FA. That's my position on this.

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, but he'll probably hit the rookie wall though

Maybe, but he just has to be the no2 receiver on this team. That's not a tall order. 800 yds will probably be enough with 5-6 tds. If he's as good of a steal as a lot of the board thinks, he'll accomplish that, especially in the new age NFL passing league we are in.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe, but he just has to be the no2 receiver on this team. That's not a tall order. 800 yds will probably be enough with 5-6 tds. If he's as good of a steal as a lot of the board thinks, he'll accomplish that, especially in the new age NFL passing league we are in.

One thing to keep in mind is the Colts are going to run the ball more than in the past. Don't get your hopes up for Luck to be setting the NFL on fire like he used to. Plus we will see more TE sets with the TEs we have so that will also take catches away from the WRs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

One thing to keep in mind is the Colts are going to run the ball more than in the past. Don't get your hopes up for Luck to be setting the NFL on fire like he used to. Plus we will see more TE sets with the TEs we have so that will also take catches away from the WRs.

That's true. Personally, I'm really excited about the possibilities of Mack, Hines, and Wilkins, and what they can do as a trio. We'll finally have a great run attack with lots of speed that Gore couldn't provide. Just excited about next year as a whole. Amazing what one draft class can do for a fan's psyche.

• Like 2

When I think of Cain I think of Hilton his rookie year. The only other established WR on The roster was Reggie so he was easily able to break out although Avery had a hell of a year as well. Cain has everything you could want. I think he can do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think he's very good, personally. He's a no3 at best on a good team. Cain and Fountain are more talented than him and have more potential. Grant will start out as the no2 receiver, but I'd be very disappointed if he ended up the no2 receiver at the end of the season, barring some large breakout from him. He's a JAG to me.

He was like the 3rd or 4th option at best in WSH last year (behind Crowder, Reed, Doctson and probably Pryor to start), and he still put up 45 catches for 573 yards. He also had a 70 % catch percentage (in comparison, TY is like a career 55).

I expect Grant to do well. He’s a good player, and certainly not s jag. Plus I expect him to play with a chip on his shoulder after he was kinda screwed over by Baltimore.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think you are setting your expectations a little high and also not giving Grant enough credit. 

I know it seems that rookie WRs make an impact sooner then they used to, but it is still the exception and not the rule. In 2017 only 2 Rookies were able to put up those type numbers ... TY Hilton barely put up those numbers his rookie season; Deandre Hopkins didn't, Jarvis Landry fell just short, Antonio Brown didn't, etc ... Those are high expectations for any rookie WR; especially a 6th rounder.

Not saying it can't or won't happen, just that I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1

I hate to be this guy but what is the role of a Teciever? and if hes the #2 who is the number # and how many do we need to carry on the roster? :worms:

That being said  It is possibly he could be. Will be better informed once camp gets here and see who all is actually on the 53.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's true. Personally, I'm really excited about the possibilities of Mack, Hines, and Wilkins, and what they can do as a trio. We'll finally have a great run attack with lots of speed that Gore couldn't provide. Just excited about next year as a whole. Amazing what one draft class can do for a fan's psyche.

I know Gore isnt as fast as what he once was but I'll fix this for you .

"We'll finally have a decent run blocking oline for the rbs to show their speed and they will be utilized more."

Watching him at Clemson he looked like somebody that builds up his speed instead of  shooting out of a cannon. I think he's gooing to have a tough time seperating on out,dig and curl routes because of it. I like his physicality against jamming DBs on RPOs and he's going to produce on slants there. Cain is going to need some help from the coaches to buy him space and time to accelerate. I think we are going to use him on Play action to give him that extra second to run a route and also give him some receiver screens to give him space and time to pick up speed. That dependebilty on the playcalling is going to restrict him to 3rd or 4th receiver imo

I will put it like this - if I had to bet on Cain or the field(anybody else on the roster) I would have to take the field, but I if I had to bet on a single player to be our WR2 by the end of the season I would probably choose Cain. 

Fountain is much more likely to become the WR2 than Cain. He was heavily scouted by Ballard (and Reich as well)...and he was the first WR they took. 

Cain struck me as more of a “why not?” pick because the value was there. I think they see big upside, but will give him time to develop. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The guy no one is mentioning is Steve Ishmael.  He may be drawing a lot of attention this pre season and camp.

I can't believe he went undrafted.. This dude can catch a football.

Totally agree.  He's the perfect example of a very talented player on just an average college team.  He could really flourish with a real QB like Luck throwing to him. 

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Hilton got 1,000 yards and Grant, Rogers, Cain, and Fountain got 500 yards each as well, then spread the rest among the TE's and RB's, I'd be fine. I just don't believe Grant and Rogers are anything special. I think they'll last another year or two until we draft a solid no2 or replace them via FA. That's my position on this.

I agree with this and your other comments in this thread. I liked Cain in the 3rd round and think he has the edge to not only be OUR #2 BUT more importantly be a compliment to Hilton and a solid #2 WR by nfl standards.

• Like 1

Although  Cain has had his issues at Clemson, was one of the reasons he fell that far, at 6'2 205 he runs a 4.43 and had a down year as a junior. but, also he had his best years when Watson was at QB. So according to Cain he has a chip on his shoulder with something to prove (as has Luck, no pun intended) so maybe we will see a good investment in the pick. 

I said no to the poll, but only because he is a rookie and I think the route trees that will be installed will be a bit much for him. I loved the draft pick but really believe he'll need a year or so to fill the 2 spot. If he is the number 2 then we have found a diamond in the rough.

The more I look into Cain the less I like him, He has small hands 8 3/4" so I think his drop problem will continue at best I think he becomes receiver number 3/4. I really like what I have heard about Fountain's work ethic and his physical attributes, I don't think he will make a big difference this year, but with a year of coaching and focusing on his route running I think he could make a big jump next year.