Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ugh!

Rally5

That's the same performance (team) we saw last year, Clark is not the answer at RT as many want to believe, yes we'll be better with Kelly back.  Banner is an absolute giant and he's smart, man it would be nice if he can play.  We still don't tackle well...We're in big trouble without Andrew, that's a 2-3 win team we saw today.

There's some talent on D which flashed today but all-in-all I'm not sure we learned all that much, #6 has potential I suppose.

Pagano's over under is set at 8 games.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

That's the same performance (team) we saw last year, Clark is not the answer at RT as many want to believe, yes we'll be better with Kelly back.  Banner is an absolute giant and he's smart, man it would be nice if he can play.  We still don't tackle well...We're in big trouble without Andrew, that's a 2-3 win team we saw today.

There's some talent on D which flashed today but all-in-all I'm not sure we learned all that much, #6 has potential I suppose.

Actually, I was pretty impressed by the defense that I saw compared to last year.  The defense played more physical and showed aggressiveness.  I see potential there.  Sure...they gave up 24 points but a lot of the reason for that was our impotent offense who couldn't avoid going 3 & out repeatedly while hemmed up at their own goal line.  That put alot of pressure on our defense as the Lions had excellent field position all game.  Given the circumstances the defense held up as well as could be expected.

The backup quarterbacks are all still lousy.  The offense can do nothing if Luck isn't behind center.  Offensive line is still a penalty flag magnet.  So yeah...that much hasn't changed.

Thank you coach chuck!  It really is the same crap as the last few years. You can just tell. It's coaching. It's flat out coaching! 

But it I want to thank coach chuck. Now I can be productive this year at home. I can get a lot of stuff done around the house and yard. Projects I have been meaning to do and will now have the time to do......thanks. And my wife really wants to thank you!

yeah it's the first pressing game.....but once again, that dumb lions coach was more prepared and out coached our coach.  Thanks again 

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Yes but the horrible tackling has nothing to do with turning over the roster

Again... It's week one of the preseason. If we're going to base our season off of this game then we're no better than 

3-13.

I'm not saying we don't need to improve, I just don't see the need for the negative outlook... 

I guess that's just how some people roll 

29 minutes ago, cpd190 said:

Thank you coach chuck!  It really is the same crap as the last few years. You can just tell. It's coaching. It's flat out coaching! 

But it I want to thank coach chuck. Now I can be productive this year at home. I can get a lot of stuff done around the house and yard. Projects I have been meaning to do and will now have the time to do......thanks. And my wife really wants to thank you!

yeah it's the first pressing game.....but once again, that dumb lions coach was more prepared and out coached our coach.  Thanks again 

Good riddance. If your going to judge Pagano with one pre season game then your loss is no big deal.

24 minutes ago, cpd190 said:

"But it I want to thank coach chuck"

Huh?

"yeah it's the first pressing game....."

What?

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

In the end, it was just a preseason game.  They mean NOTHING!  'Member how we'd lose them all badly in the Manning years?

I think it means way more now. These players are fighting for a roster spot. The Manning years were a more veteran club players and coaches. I was very disappointed with the penalties, poor tackling, linebackers not covering the flat, and O-line play. These guys really need to pick it up.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Oh come on.  Do we really believe the Jets are better than the Titans based on one game.  Or the 49ers are better than KC?

You can only look at individual performances.

I guess Belichick needs firing. The Patriots lost to the Jags too! haha

50 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

2-3 wins no at worst 5-6 but awful first half tolzien is not the answer at backup QB either.

10 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

It's week 1 of preseason. #1QB, #1SS, #1DT, #1 & #2 ILBs and #1C out. Huge roster turnover. There were positives to take from this. A lot of talent flashes on D.

Not a great showing but there are positives to take. 

I agree. I think the coaches seen what they were looking for anyway.

31 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I think it means way more now. These players are fighting for a roster spot. The Manning years were a more veteran club players and coaches. I was very disappointed with the penalties, poor tackling, linebackers not covering the flat, and O-line play. These guys really need to pick it up.

The Colts looked exactly as I expected. Young and inexperienced.

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The lions out practiced us. To think they weren't going to out play is Sunday is ludicrous. This year I'm really going into things with no expectations. In all honesty, if pagano can't handle being HC then Ballard will give him his walking papers I have no doubt. 

What does this game have to do with Pagan's coaching?   I will take a guess,,   nothing.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Over reaction anyone? 

I'd be glad to, thanks.

Yes, this is only a pre-season game.  And, yes there were a number of players out of the lineup. But two glaring things - lack of blocking and lack of tackling, especially from the OLB positions - were as bad as they were last season.  

I'll admit I was discouraged by the performance today.  If these two very basic and fundamental areas of the game don't improve, quickly, it will be another long season of not being able to hold leads and watching a bad backup quarterback play half the games. 

6 minutes ago, GhostofJohnnyU said:

I'd be glad to, thanks.

Yes, this is only a pre-season game.  And, yes there were a number of players out of the lineup. But two glaring things - lack of blocking and lack of tackling, especially from the OLB positions - were as bad as they were last season.  

I'll admit I was discouraged by the performance today.  If these two very basic and fundamental areas of the game don't improve, quickly, it will be another long season of not being able to hold leads and watching a bad backup quarterback play half the games. 

Why would things be any different? These are new players to a new system. Add the rookies and it shouldn't come as no surprise.

Missed the first few minutes, including the Simon INT. Then, some struggle from the "first" team offense, and some OK, some good moments from the "first" team defense. The 1st team OL didn't look too good, but that's expected with Kelly and Haeg out, and Mewhort missing some practice snaps. You can do so much with a guy at center, who's name I haven't even heard of until a few days ago. ;)

Our rookies looked like rookies. Quincy Wilson has it, but he's too eager yet, he wants to make big plays instead of just making plays. He needs to calm down. Hooker looked OK. He's still gearing up, he needs more reps, he'll be more than fine imo. Other than that, tonight's sample was too small to judge the top of the roster.

Regarding the bottom half - and the backup QBs, Walker didn't seem ready for NFL for me. He was plain awful. Morris didn't have much time, but he looked better than Walker, much better. No dropped jaw though. Basham looked promising, I liked how he moved around. The rookie right tackle - can't recall his name, the big dude - needs time, he's not ready yet. He needs a year at least to even be considered. 

All in all, they had their first gametime experience, which is much needed. Now they can go back, analyze films and correct things. There are a lot to correct as usual :)

ps.: For those, who are eager to jump to conclusions based on this game: calm down guys. Jameis Winston looked terrible in his rookie year in his first preseason game. Not just bad or rusty, but hopelessly terrible. On the other hand, Brock Osweiler looked brilliant in first pre-game in Houston. You get the point....

7 minutes ago, GhostofJohnnyU said:

And good football players shouldn't have problems with basic blocking and tackling at this level.

Basic blocking and tackling are not a priority in college these days and it carries over into the NFL. That has been a problem for a long time now.