Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ugh!

Rally5

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he should be fired and we should bring Arians back since Arians has led the Cards to the SB lmao. Maybe we should bring in River Boat Ronny since he had a career season last season in Carolina. If you guys are going to keep Posting stuff like this after a game 1 of Pre-Season than I am going to have fun with it.

But remember, Pagano DOES have a history of not having his teams ready to play early.   It's up to him to prove this is not the way it will continue.    I hope he does.   He has the opportunity to show us he can field a disciplined team.  

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

I'm going to wait till after week 1 to give an opinion about the team. Makes no sense to do one now since 50% of the players will be cut. Players need to be evaluated/graded and these games is when you do that. 

Well that's no fun!  

I would of expected some pretty excited folks had the Colts won 24-3 yesterday.   Of course there would have been others asking them to calm down because it is only preseason.  

I don't really take much from this game.   However if a person is one who takes anything from the 1st preseason game, there is mostly bad to be taken.  

14 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

#28 was embarrassing

#28 Tevin Mitchel is basically a rookie who has played very little football in 2 years. I'm sure he's shaking some rust off.  I like one or two stops he made but certainly do agree it wasn't a good game for him.  I expect better as we move along.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Half of the projected starters -- presumably the team's best players -- didn't play. But Vontae is the one who made the play on the Simon pick, and he looked good in general. Sheard did some nice things, but he also had a blown run contain, which is annoying. Most of the young guys had some good, some bad, like Quincy. 

Basham had a good game, I thought. He was active and disruptive. 

I felt the same way about Basham after I watched last night.   He's going to be good with some time.

I liked what I saw pretty much out of most of the young players in terms of ability.  I don't trip too much over the mistakes as that's what happens in the preseason.  Gotta clean it up as you move along of course.  I didn't leave that game feeling like UGH which is the title of this thread.  Liked what I saw out of TJ Green, Basham, play or two from Ant Walker, Hooker here or there, thought Quincy held tight coverage even when beat.  Saw ability out of Grover Stewart, liked what I saw for the most part with Nate Hairston.  We did pretty well against their run game except a play here or there.  First time in a while that I've watched a Colts game and felt the pass blocking was consistent for the most part.  Especially considering some of the missing pieces.  

The sacks that I did see I felt wouldn't happen that way with a more experienced quarterback under center.  Liked what I saw out of Zach Banner.  When he gets his hands on you it truly is over and I'm not kidding.  Not sure where the OP gets his commentary on Clark.  Thought Clark did a good job as well.   Special Teams I definitely like Jo Jo Natson, but I'm not sure there's going to be a spot for him unless we keep a 6th receiver.  If we keep a 6th receiver that decision will be between him and Bug Howard I think.  Got this feeling they like Howard quite a bit though.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

But remember, Pagano DOES have a history of not having his teams ready to play early.   It's up to him to prove this is not the way it will continue.    I hope he does.   He has the opportunity to show us he can field a disciplined team.  

I guess :Cry:yes it's true and I am crying. In all seriousness I have no idea why we start slow in games but I cant deny it happens a lot.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he should be fired and we should bring Arians back since Arians has led the Cards to the SB lmao. Maybe we should bring in River Boat Ronny since he had a career season last season in Carolina. If you guys are going to keep Posting stuff like this after a game 1 of Pre-Season than I am going to have fun with it.

Pagano is know and has proven once again that his teams do not get out of the gate well. Playing from behind limits your playbook and and eats away at your defense's confidence. Preseason or not players have to get the job done from the start, which is when the are physically freshest, Giving it your best try and failing should get you benched in preseason for 1 of the next 90 men up. See you in preseason week two Mr. I Tried Hard Coach.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess :Cry:yes it's true and I am crying. In all seriousness I have no idea why we start slow in games but I cant deny it happens a lot.

Hope is not all lost.   We have many new players and I have to think Pagano is under pressure to improve the poor starts.    It didn't happen in the first preseason game which is a bummer, but not a solid true indicator of what is to come.  I guess it is a slight indicator as we started slow again. 

My feeling is that it is OK to feel Ugh! about that game as the Colts didn't look good.   But the sky is not falling.   This is not a true example of what the team will be this year. 

I remember seeing a stat one time that showed that the worse teams did in preseason (record wise), the better they did in the regular season.

1 minute ago, WERC82 said:

Pagano is know and has proven once again that his teams do not get out of the gate well. Playing from behind limits your playbook and and eats away at your defense's confidence. Preseason or not players have to get the job done from the start, which is when the are physically freshest, Giving it your best try and failing should get you benched in preseason for 1 of the next 90 men up. See you in preseason week two Mr. I Tried Hard Coach.  

This season is going to be interesting. Opening day is huge IMO, yeah it's only 1 game but that will show us a lot. If Luck is healthy? Can we win an opener? How we come out to start the game even?

Who really thought we were going to play well offensively?  I didn't have that expectation with both the starting guards out and multiple backups playing.   I think it's kind of silly to say "Oh that Pagano did it again". My personal opinion.  I just watched certain people that I wanted to see individually.  I kind of new it would be rough.

My expectations for the offense were very low and the D all most as low. Almost no one looked sharp yesterday. Penalties galore and the inability to convert a 3rd down does not speak well of preparation when you know who you are putting on the field whether they be a rookie, new guy or vet.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Who really thought we were going to play well offensively?  I didn't have that expectation with both the starting guards out and multiple backups playing.   I think it's kind of silly to say "Oh that Pagano did it again". My personal opinion.  I just watched certain people that I wanted to see individually.  I kind of new it would be rough.

We hoped though.

Remember Detroit was not at full strength either.   The Colts were playing many back ups as were the Lions. 

I will argue that it is OK to feel "Ugh" about this game.  24-10 is a bummer of a score.      This is only game 1, so if we see improvements trend, than we can be excited.       I still think the defensive line and LB's will be much improved this year.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

We hoped though.

Remember Detroit was not at full strength either.   The Colts were playing many back ups as were the Lions. 

I will argue that it is OK to feel "Ugh" about this game.  24-10 is a bummer of a score.      This is only game 1, so if we see improvements trend, than we can be excited.       I still think the defensive line and LB's will be much improved this year.  

At least we picked Stafford off :thmup:

18 hours ago, AlanNC said:

Really saw nothing to get excited about.  Yes 1st perseason game but the team just looks like a Chuck coached team.

So what did you expect? Chuck was coaching bubbles players, first year to the Colts players and rookies.

So did the Patriots look like a Belichick coached team yesterday?

13 hours ago, Superman said:

That was the rookie, Quincy Wilson. He had good coverage, but he panicked when he knew the ball was coming, and he couldn't turn around and find it. Golladay looked like a player, but Wilson had a good shot at defending the pass. Hopefully he settles down and trusts his coverage. 

Don't know if anyone already clarified this, but the second TD was against Tevin Mitchell, who just looked lost.  If he weren't in pads and a helmet, I would've never confused him with an NFL football player based solely on that performance.

I really think the problem has been is how we approach the pre season games. We show vanilla coverage and a very vanilla offense. It was brutal watch the offensive line as the deeper subs got in, just terrible

What I am excited about is a single cutdown, every team is going to cut 37 players at once and some gems should be available. That day could bring down the site. 1184 players being cut and then the frenzy begins

This isn't the Dungy/Manning/Polian Colts that turn it on once September hits anymore. 

The Pagano era Colts are unfortunately a team that sees their preseason struggles continue into the regular season. 

Yesterday we saw a lot of things that were problems in November and December still lingering. 

It gets tiring seeing the same persistent issues, no matter what part of the season it is.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll defend the poster. I never expect much in preseason game 1, and knew it was all new kids.  But, much as I love Chuck, I've watched a couple years now of general confusion. Too many flags, too many blown assignments, even for camp fodder. Maybe it's not Chuck, it's the assistants, but it's like the players know there's no penalty for not knowing what to do.  A Belichek or Parcells coached team just wouldn't allow it. And I'll be surprised if a Ballard run team tolerates it for very long....

With Luck and the OL back, it should be fine, but right now it just appears to be drifting, as I heard it on the radio. Hope I'm wrong, but that's how it sounded....

17 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Lions backup QB's made our D  and our backup QB's look bad in comparison.  We were sloppy,at times demonstrating poor technique too often, and showed some lack of fundamentals.  And a bad play that looked like was on a certain player, may have actually been on another.  Example - I believe I heard Jim Sorgi credit the illegal downfield penalty on the QB, not the actual lineman.  He says its a timing thing, and lineman go upfield after a certain count.  He mentioned that the QB has to have delivered the ball before that time frame is up, and he didn't do it on that play.  Thus the flag. 

There is plenty of time before the season... time to evaluate guys, time to coach up guys and fix some things.  My gut feeling is Luck does make it back right around game 1.  But we still have to prepare like he wont. As a side, i'm not used to the Colts winning in pre-season, so the score doesn't affect me at all.  The closer we get to the season beginning, the more I'll be concerned about fundamentals and standard of play.

The score doesn't bother me, nor the win/loss outcome. It's just how technically unsound the team looked, IMO. Fundamentals and standard of play were far below expectations.

As for the screen play, it was a delayed screen. Redmond was a step or two ahead of the other two linemen who went upfield. I don't think that was on the QB taking too long, I think Redmond was at fault. That was one of the more intricate screens we'll see, and it's interesting we pulled it out in a preseason game with third stringers when we struggle enough with simple screens. It just kind of fits the pattern... 

I think the entire Offense took this game off. (Now there maybe the fear of injuries but that is also telling on part of our coaches)  Considering they jointly had two days of practice, Maybe the coaches were not concern with the entertainment factor of this game, so they let the 3rd string players play most of the game. 

It does not help in selling tickets...it was ugly for a Colt fan.

Ballard and Irsay should regroup the entire coaching staff and Pagano, and lay the expectation going forward.  

10 hours ago, Myles said:

Hope is not all lost.   We have many new players and I have to think Pagano is under pressure to improve the poor starts.    It didn't happen in the first preseason game which is a bummer, but not a solid true indicator of what is to come.  I guess it is a slight indicator as we started slow again. 

The problem is: When your philosophy is "keep chopping wood" with the same dull axe nothing is going to change. Psychologist A. Maslow once stated, "When your only tool is a hammer, everything gets treated like a nail." IOW, keep pressuring that bull to give milk.

Take this for what it is folks.  This game is not an indictment of Chucks slow starts (Vontae and the D got a fast turnover anyway!) or coaching per se.  Remember, there are 47 guys currently on the squad where these pre-season games are their Super Bowl  moments. They will take chances here they would not in season if on the roster. The reason, exposure.  In order to be noticed and get the coaches attention and maybe make the roster, P.S. (scout team) or catch on with another team after cuts, they have to make plays.  IE: Golloday did that for the Lions.  But many other guys took chances and got coaches attention, but, for the wrong reasons.  I do not believe for one minute these young guys were taught to take risks and put themselves in a position to fail. Coaches are showing hot to perform using fundamentals, them getting them out there and see what makeup they have, skills they possess, and situational judgement and control. It's likely there are 35-40 or so players are already going to be on the roster.  That means 13-20 or so people from the other 50-55 will make the roster, all the other move on in some fashion. but they will all try to do anything not to be one of those that have to move on.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what did you expect? Chuck was coaching bubbles players, first year to the Colts players and rookies.

So did the Patriots look like a Belichick coached team yesterday?

What I wanted to see where  some improvements, anything, tackling, foundamentel football what's this teem been doing during practice?

52 minutes ago, Moe said:

What I wanted to see where  some improvements, anything, tackling, foundamentel football what's this teem been doing during practice?

To expect a team that has 60% new players to play as an established unit at this time is unrealistic.

Interesting findings in 3 different articles on ranking backup QB's  Sports Illustrated rated Tolzien 29th, and ESPN had Tolzien a bonafide #32 - dead last!!

Washington Post has him at #24.  More than a few of these are QB's that backup starters that aren't that good either!!  And are better than our backup...  interesting.

Tolzien compared to other teams backups-

SI on left,  ESPN rank in Parenthises ( )

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots   (1)
2. Matt Moore, Dolphins        (6)
3. Trevor Siemian/Paxton Lynch, Broncos   (10)
4. Colt McCoy, Redskins    (13)
5. Deshaun Watson, Texans    (14)
6. AJ McCarron, Bengals   (2)
7. T.J. Yates/Cardale Jones/Nathan Peterman, Bills  (22)
8. Mitchell Trubisky/Mike Glennon, Bears  (7)
9. Chad Henne, Jaguars     (23)
10. Geno Smith, Giants     (20)
11. Drew Stanton, Cardinals    (9)
12. Kevin Hogan/Brock Osweiler/DeShone Kizer, Browns    (11)
13. Chase Daniel, Saints    (3)
14. Derek Anderson, Panthers   (4)
15. Nick Foles, Eagles      (5)
16. Ryan Mallett, Ravens    (29)
17. Case Keenum, Vikings    (19)
18. Matt Barkley/CJ Beathard, 49ers   (18)
19. Bryce Petty/Christian Hackenberg, Jets    (27)
20. Landry Jones/Josh Dobbs, Steelers   (16)
21. Trevone Boykin, Seahawks    (28)
22. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs    (12)
23. Matt Cassel, Titans        (26)
24. Kellen Clemens, Chargers    (21)
25. Connor Cook/EJ Manuel, Raiders   (15)
26. Matt Schaub, Falcons        (17)
27. Brett Hundley, Packers       (8)
28. Kellen Moore, Cowboys       (25)
**29. Scott Tolzien, Colts      ** (32) **
30. Sean Mannion, Rams    :-(    (31)
31. Jake Rudock/Brad Kaaya, Lions **  (24)
32. Ryan Fitz, Griffin, Buccaneers      (30)

In another article, Tolzien is 24th (Wash. Post)

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

The problem is: When your philosophy is "keep chopping wood" with the same dull axe nothing is going to change. Psychologist A. Maslow once stated, "When your only tool is a hammer, everything gets treated like a nail." IOW, keep pressuring that bull to give milk.

:scratch:  What?

On August 13, 2017 at 4:59 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I guess Belichick needs firing. The Patriots lost to the Jags too! haha

This reply was pretty funny & pinpoint accurate CC1. Well played. 

DC Matt Patricia gave up some huge plays in that game including 1 touchdown. The dynasty is fading. I kid; I kid. 

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Interesting findings in 3 different articles on ranking backup QB's  Sports Illustrated rated Tolzien 29th, and ESPN had Tolzien a bonafide #32 - dead last!!

Washington Post has him at #24.  More than a few of these are QB's that backup starters that aren't that good either!!  And are better than our backup...  interesting.

Tolzien compared to other teams backups-

SI on left,  ESPN rank in Parenthises ( )

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots   (1)
2. Matt Moore, Dolphins        (6)
3. Trevor Siemian/Paxton Lynch, Broncos   (10)
4. Colt McCoy, Redskins    (13)
5. Deshaun Watson, Texans    (14)
6. AJ McCarron, Bengals   (2)
7. T.J. Yates/Cardale Jones/Nathan Peterman, Bills  (22)
8. Mitchell Trubisky/Mike Glennon, Bears  (7)
9. Chad Henne, Jaguars     (23)
10. Geno Smith, Giants     (20)
11. Drew Stanton, Cardinals    (9)
12. Kevin Hogan/Brock Osweiler/DeShone Kizer, Browns    (11)
13. Chase Daniel, Saints    (3)
14. Derek Anderson, Panthers   (4)
15. Nick Foles, Eagles      (5)
16. Ryan Mallett, Ravens    (29)
17. Case Keenum, Vikings    (19)
18. Matt Barkley/CJ Beathard, 49ers   (18)
19. Bryce Petty/Christian Hackenberg, Jets    (27)
20. Landry Jones/Josh Dobbs, Steelers   (16)
21. Trevone Boykin, Seahawks    (28)
22. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs    (12)
23. Matt Cassel, Titans        (26)
24. Kellen Clemens, Chargers    (21)
25. Connor Cook/EJ Manuel, Raiders   (15)
26. Matt Schaub, Falcons        (17)
27. Brett Hundley, Packers       (8)
28. Kellen Moore, Cowboys       (25)
**29. Scott Tolzien, Colts      ** (32) **
30. Sean Mannion, Rams    :-(    (31)
31. Jake Rudock/Brad Kaaya, Lions **  (24)
32. Ryan Fitz, Griffin, Buccaneers      (30)

In another article, Tolzien is 24th (Wash. Post)

Based on the first weeks performance because Watson is #5 and Geno Smith is #10. Geno Smith!!

On August 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM, ReMeDy said:

Forget that!... Jacksonville beat New England! Jacksonville's going to win the Superbowl!

Jim Carrey in "Dumb & Dumber" 'So you're tell me there's a chance." :lol: You're alright RMDY. 

On August 13, 2017 at 5:44 PM, sreeb2deeni said:

Tolzien answered any questions about his ability to start in the NFL. I doubt he survives as the #2.

INDY loves QBs from UW-Madison due to their Midwestern work ethic. Can they win a regular season game if necessary? Not unless our opposing starting lineup contracts the flu an hour before kickoff. Just saying. 

21 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Watch Dorsett get cut, and another team take him and make him into a star.

I could see that happening CBFL. He doesn't click here, goes to the Giants & Eli goes on a post season run. My luck is like that LOL! 

21 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Our D is going to be better, and if Luck is ok, we can surely win 10 games, based on last years form. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.......

'Imagine' that John. I mean BHC. 

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I don't know. A hammer can also remove nails & other debris depending on which end you are using CL. 

I think I get your point of view that you think Pagano is using players wrong, but I fail to see how your comparison between milk & Bull DNA applies in this case. Pagano isn't stupid. His playoff percentage may not be to your liking, but he's not a fool. 

15 hours ago, Myles said:

Well that's no fun!  

I would of expected some pretty excited folks had the Colts won 24-3 yesterday.

You do make a valid point Myles. Fans would have been ecstatic & over the moon had INDY won even a meaningless preseason game the other day.

Funny how team losses sour people's moods when most of the players being evaluated right won't be playing for us in Sept. anyway. 

I'm just glad football is back & LBs are allowed to actually allowed to tackle RBs, TEs, & WRs now. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

You do make a valid point Myles. Fans would have been ecstatic & over the moon had INDY won even a meaningless preseason game the other day.

Funny how team losses sour people's moods when most of the players being evaluated right won't be playing for us in Sept. anyway. 

I'm just glad football is back & LBs are allowed to actually allowed to tackle RBs, TEs, & WRs now. 

I personally wish they would shorten the Pre-Season, you need at least 2 games to evaluate and make proper cuts but 4 is too many. All Pre-Season is, is an accident waiting to happen to a key player. I am glad Luck wont play at all.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally wish they would shorten the Pre-Season, you need at least 2 games to evaluate and make proper cuts but 4 is too many. All Pre-Season is, is an accident waiting to happen to a key player. I am glad Luck wont play at all.

I get what you're saying CBE, but I always remember Jeff Saturday saying basically if you're on the bubble [on the verge of either being retained or cut] you need those games all 4 to make the best impression & prove your worth to a coaching staff. 

Jeff by his own admission was on that bubble himself once before he became the legendary Center INDY knows & reveres man.