Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorsett a trade target?

richard pallo

21 hours ago, colt18 said:

Anybody else feel like we could've drafted Landon Collins first and still got Dorsett in the second?

No, could have have Tyler Lockett, though.

I personally didn't/don't want Landon Collins, even though he was a consensus pick. He bounced back to be an All Pro, but he still can't cover. 

I have no idea why a struggling Jets team would give a third for him.  It's not like the Jets would do much this year with or without him IMO.  I'd like to see Dorsett become the player we want him to be but since it seems like he may be fourth on the DC, if the Jets did offer a 3rd it would be more than worth it.  Still a lot of time pending though.  

Given their desperation I'd expect at least a 3rd. But I'd trade him in a heartbeat. We've got depth with Aiken and Rodgers.

If the Jets are going to give up a 2nd or a high 3rd for Dorsett, I'd do that deal right now. And I'm not one of these who thinks Dorsett can't play. 

I hope they call. If not now then maybe during the 2018 offseason. By then his value would probably be more in the 3-4 range than the 2-3. I still think it's worth it. It's not like he's going to see a 2nd contract with us anyways.

I have no idea why a struggling Jets team would give a third for him.  It's not like the Jets would do much this year with or without him IMO.  I'd like to see Dorsett become the player we want him to be but since it seems like he may be fourth on the DC, if the Jets did offer a 3rd it would be more than worth it.  Still a lot of time pending though.  

Don't forget that the Vikings gave a 1st round pick for a mediocre Sam Bradford. Granted you could argue that they were ready to make a push, but circumstances aside we all know Bradford wasn't worth a first. That was just the rate at the time because the Vikings were desperate.

Dorsett is a guy who another team probably feels has upside and can break out. Spending a 3rd for him wouldn't be unrealistic. Especially if they feel like they've got a chance with whoever their starting QB is.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Don't forget that the Vikings gave a 1st round pick for a mediocre Sam Bradford. Granted you could argue that they were ready to make a push, but circumstances aside we all know Bradford wasn't worth a first. That was just the rate at the time because the Vikings were desperate.

Dorsett is a guy who another team probably feels has upside and can break out. Spending a 3rd for him wouldn't be unrealistic. Especially if they feel like they've got a chance with whoever their starting QB is.

Any starting QB is worth a first round draft pick in the NFL if it's a guy the organization likes. Like you said the Vikings were desperate after Bridgewater went down. And they have one of the best defenses in the league. Unfortunitely small fast unproven receivers are a dime a dozen in the league.Most you can get as a UDFA. I honestly don't think we could get a late 6th round pick for Dorsett today. We are much better off to keep him. If he doesn't produce much this season he will be cut next year. 

The Jets giving up a 2nd or 3rd for Dorsett would be completely absurd. Dorsett hasn't shown that he can even be a reliable No. 2 receiver at this juncture in his career. I think you may offer a 5th rounder tops for him if you believe he needs a change of scenery to succeed, but no more than that. Even then that is wishful thinking on the Colts side.

12 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Does anyone think we could swing Dorsett for Reggie Ragland?  Apparently, he's fully healthy, but he is now a bad fit for Buffalo's 4-3 defense.

Interesting as they are both 1st rounders.  I doubt the Bills would do it though, mainly because they probably see more value in Ragland than just Dorsett IMO.  If we added a pick maybe?

19 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Interesting as they are both 1st rounders.  I doubt the Bills would do it though, mainly because they probably see more value in Ragland than just Dorsett IMO.  If we added a pick maybe?

I don't know.  If he is isn't a fit it's worth a conversation IMO.  It appears they are in a wheeling and dealing mode.   No Watkins and a hurt Matthews.  Why not?

I don't know.  If he is isn't a fit it's worth a conversation IMO.  It appears they are in a wheeling and dealing mode.   No Watkins and a hurt Matthews.  Why not?

The fact that Watkins and Matthews got traded but not Dorsett tells me that he really isn't as good/or will be as good as some here proclaim. With all his "potential " he should be worth at least a 3 or 4.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It is definitely something to have a convo about.  That is if Ballard even sees him as a fit himself.  He might love what he has and hopes the coaches and do the rest.  This is just me talking but you never know I guess.

Also, teams might have little to no value in Dorsett.  This is why I mentioned also including a pick.  Bills have made some moves but they got a WR to replace the one they lost.  If anything they still need a CB.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The fact that Watkins and Matthews got traded but not Dorsett tells me that he really isn't as good/or will be as good as some here proclaim. With all his "potential " he should be worth at least a 3 or 4.

This article makes it sound like the Bills weren't actually the aggressors in either trade.  The Rams wanted Watkins, and the Eagles wanted Darby.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828580/article/bills-trade-sammy-watkins-to-rams-acquire-matthews

I think, if we approached them with an offer, we could probably make this happen.  Matthews isn't really a deep threat, and their two and three are probably Zay Jones and Anquan Boldin.  That's three solid possession receivers with zero deep speed.

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Does anyone think we could swing Dorsett for Reggie Ragland?  Apparently, he's fully healthy, but he is now a bad fit for Buffalo's 4-3 defense.

I think that may be where we get the most value for trading Dorsett, by trading for another player who isn't exactly fitting their scheme. So I wouldn't be opposed to doing something like this, if we are confident in our depth at WR. 

After reading articles from the Bills perspective, why would we trade a guy who was a 2nd round pick for our first round pick kid who seems to be withering on the teams depth chart. One of the articles I read suggested he may not even make the team if the trend continues like it is as he is on the 3rd string team right now and not seemingly a fit. This suggests we could even throw a 6th rd pick as trade offer with it being a conditional 5th perhaps if not a 7th with conditional 6th. The question becomes, do we need another thumper guy at the inside spot vs a guy who is able to cover more so than to stop the run? I don't think I would trade Dorsett for this guy if its possible the dude gets cut and we still have plans for Dorsett this season. Only the team knows what they feel is in Dorsett's future here and how he has handled himself during the offseason and in training camp. Has he improved his self from last season to this season on tape enough for Ballard to feel comfortable keeping him on the roster. If he doesn't, then maybe you look for a trade of players with him. Is Ragland the guy we can fit on the team and if so, which LB'er does he replace on the roster of 53? I honestly don't know the answer to the question here, what do the pros who live these position battle spots on here say?

This article makes it sound like the Bills weren't actually the aggressors in either trade.  The Rams wanted Watkins, and the Eagles wanted Darby.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828580/article/bills-trade-sammy-watkins-to-rams-acquire-matthews

I think, if we approached them with an offer, we could probably make this happen.  Matthews isn't really a deep threat, and their two and three are probably Zay Jones and Anquan Boldin.  That's three solid possession receivers with zero deep speed.

I'd send them Dorsett for Ragland and a 4th if that's the case. They probably want to dump Ragland anyways. If not then just give us a 3rd. They've got 2 firsts next year so they've got plenty of capital.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Ragland was a 2nd rounder. He went around 40th overall. I would like to see us get a late round pick for Parry or whoever the odd man out is on the DL. Every little bit helps. 

On 8/9/2017 at 9:38 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I hope they call. If not now then maybe during the 2018 offseason. By then his value would probably be more in the 3-4 range than the 2-3. I still think it's worth it. It's not like he's going to see a 2nd contract with us anyways.

Jets won't call. Dorsett isn't a superstar by any means and Jets are in rebuild mode. They're not going to spend valuable draft picks on someone who isn't proven.

Ok.... he has 2 seasons under his belt.   

Games Played: 26

Targets: 99

Catches: 51

Yards: 753

Fumbles: 1

TDs: 3

If the Colts were to trade for a 3rd year player who caught 50% of passes thrown to him, averaged 375 yards and 1.5 TDs a year, what would you be willing to give up?  I am pretty sure we would be upset if we gave up anything higher than a 7th round pick.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Ok.... he has 2 seasons under his belt.   

Games Played: 26

Targets: 99

Catches: 51

Yards: 753

Fumbles: 1

TDs: 3

If the Colts were to trade for a 3rd year player who caught 50% of passes thrown to him, averaged 375 yards and 1.5 TDs a year, what would you be willing to give up?  I am pretty sure we would be upset if we gave up anything higher than a 7th round pick.

Depends....give the rest of the story....runs a sub 4.3 40....very very underutilized on the team as a wr3 and saw limited targets...only dropped 3 passes in two years, is only 24 and avg 16 yds per catch last year maybe you would think a little harder about it. Not saying he should be starting or he hasn't lived up to the hype but the kid needs more time on the field to prove himself....hopefully he will get the chance this year.

3 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

Dorsett better have a good season for his sake or he'll be gone. Honestly, I think Natson could be more valuable than him. Just have to wait and see

He might have to have a good pre-season or he might be gone.  He might not even get a season.  That's why I think he has zero trade value right now.  Honestly if the Colts could get a team to give them anything of value for him based on what's he's done so far it would be a major fleece job.  

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He might have to have a good pre-season or he might be gone.  He might not even get a season.  That's why I think he has zero trade value right now.  Honestly if the Colts could get a team to give them anything of value for him based on what's he's done so far it would be a major fleece job.  

Yeah a team would have to be really desperate to trade for him. He was such a bad pick. But I hope he can contribute for the Colts

NFL.com article on potential trade proposals has Dorsett as a good fit with Shanahan in San Francisco.  Makes sense but all about what value we would get back (they do have 5 picks in first 3 rounds next year).  I don't see a team paying that level of price but they are probably the only candidate.

Extract below:

Colts WR Phillip Dorsett to the 49ers

In Atlanta, Kyle Shanahan flipped the switch on offense by surrounding All-Pro wideout Julio Jones with imported talent in the form of Mohamed Sanu and deep threat Taylor Gabriel. Landing Dorsett would give the new 49ers coach a viable downfield option to pair with Pierre Garcon. Dorsett has struggled to break out, but Shanahan thrives at putting young players in position to succeed. The move would leave the Colts a little light at receiver, but new general manager Chris Ballard could net a nice pick in return while moving on with Kamar Aiken alongside T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief.

This just in: Colts trade Dorsett, for a bag of cheeto's team officials refused to disclose whether the cheeto's were snack sized or part of the family pack the team was originally seeking......the staff is confident that they can have the cheeto's up to speed by the start of the regular season.

Dorsett will be on the 2017 roster because of the injury bug. Neither TY, Chester or Moncrief are 16 games kind of players. I do agree that this is a make or break year for Dorsett. The player that has a chance to stand out is Kamar Aiken. He is solid and has the staying power over 16 games. We just wish we had a Marvin Harrison who is a HOF because he was great and durable.

15 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Dorsett will be on the 2017 roster because of the injury bug. Neither TY, Chester or Moncrief are 16 games kind of players. I do agree that this is a make or break year for Dorsett. The player that has a chance to stand out is Kamar Aiken. He is solid and has the staying power over 16 games. We just wish we had a Marvin Harrison who is a HOF because he was great and durable.

TY has played in 78 of 80 games.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:35 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think trading Dorsett now,  without even giving him a chance to improve under the new WR coach,  would be a terrible mistake.      It would be buying high and selling low.

I'd hate to trade Dorsett now, only to have him improve with another team.

It wouldn't hurt the Colts at all to give him another year with the new coach.    Let's see how good he can become.      He may never be worth the 1st round pick we spent....     but he might still give the Colts 2nd, or 3rd or even 4th round value.     And that would certainly beat the 6th round pick we'd likely get back for him in some pre-season trade.

My vote is to keep him and see what we have.     Even if he's the 4th WR behind Rogers....

Agreed. I was about to say, am I the only one who still thinks he has time to prove himself? It's not like he hasn't shown up on the scoreboard. Maybe hasn't met expectations, but still deserves time to grow, imo. 

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol so many people just "KNOW" what the colts are going to do. And treat others like lowlives for suggesting.. 

Lowlives? Just because someone don't agree with your comments or opinions does not mean they are treating you like anything. That is in your own mind.