Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorsett a trade target?

richard pallo

Well this didn't take long.  With the first preseason games about to be played and camp injuries having already started Eric Galko of Optimum Scounting and Sporting News contributor has identified Dorsett as a possible WR on the cusp of being cut that could be a target in a trade before cutdown day.  He mentions the Jets as a team that should be calling the Colts now to check on his availability.  Other teams will soon follow.  I always thought this could be a possibility, especially with Rogers doing so well.  I just didn't think the talk would start so soon.  Thoughts?  

Dorsett's 2017 salary of ~$1.2m is fully guaranteed. That's not enough to guarantee him a roster spot, but it makes it very unlikely that he's cut, unless he's totally awful in preseason. He hasn't been bad during camp, based on reports, and I'll be looking at him closely in preseason.

So who would trade for him, and what would they give up? And why would the Colts want to get rid of him if he's actually performed well enough to attract a meaningful trade offer?

Odds are Dorsett is a Colt through 2017. If he has another disappointing season, he could be a cut candidate after the season.

10 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Anybody else feel like we could've drafted Landon Collins first and still got Dorsett in the second?

I don't believe so, I think the Texans were trying to trade ahead of the Pats to get him, but we took him before that could happen. He would of went a few picks later. Unfortunately though, we chose him, missed out on Collins, took Geathers, and now both Dorsett and Geathers are bad for different reasons when we could of got Landon Collins and some other receiver or player if we wanted.

I think trading Dorsett now,  without even giving him a chance to improve under the new WR coach,  would be a terrible mistake.      It would be buying high and selling low.

I'd hate to trade Dorsett now, only to have him improve with another team.

It wouldn't hurt the Colts at all to give him another year with the new coach.    Let's see how good he can become.      He may never be worth the 1st round pick we spent....     but he might still give the Colts 2nd, or 3rd or even 4th round value.     And that would certainly beat the 6th round pick we'd likely get back for him in some pre-season trade.

My vote is to keep him and see what we have.     Even if he's the 4th WR behind Rogers....

6 hours ago, colt18 said:

Anybody else feel like we could've drafted Landon Collins first and still got Dorsett in the second?

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't believe so, I think the Texans were trying to trade ahead of the Pats to get him, but we took him before that could happen. He would of went a few picks later. Unfortunately though, we chose him, missed out on Collins, took Geathers, and now both Dorsett and Geathers are bad for different reasons when we could of got Landon Collins and some other receiver or player if we wanted.

Jared is right, one of Grigson's bone headed moves. You don't stop your division rival from losing picks. Reports were out and I guess Colts heard that Houston was trying to trade up. So instead of taking the guy who's job would be to stop Dorsett, you draft Dorsett and let Houston keep their picks. Felt like such a childish thing to do. Like Grigson looked at the Houston GM and said "Na na na na boo boo". Wasted draft pick 

I like Geathers, but I'm taking Landon over him any day of the week, twice on Sunday 

But...... the bone headed decisions day are now over. Grigson is gone, Ballard is now running the show. Better days are coming :)

:scoregood:

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Dorsett's 2017 salary of ~$1.2m is fully guaranteed. That's not enough to guarantee him a roster spot, but it makes it very unlikely that he's cut, unless he's totally awful in preseason. He hasn't been bad during camp, based on reports, and I'll be looking at him closely in preseason.

So who would trade for him, and what would they give up? And why would the Colts want to get rid of him if he's actually performed well enough to attract a meaningful trade offer?

Odds are Dorsett is a Colt through 2017. If he has another disappointing season, he could be a cut candidate after the season.

I really don't see the Colts cutting Dorsett, thus getting nothing for him.  He should make the team as a 4th WR.  But a team desperate for a WR might be willing to trade for him now before the season starts. Desperate teams will pay more now versus a team in the off season that is trying to upgrade the position.  Especially if the team views itself as a playoff team.  If he does have a good preseason this might be the time to deal him assuming Rogers is the No. 3 and Aiken could take the 4.  I think we would have more leverage now than at the end of the season.  We could even have multiple suitors.  It could be for a player or a pick who knows.  If he takes the 3 away from Rogers the issue is over.  But if Rogers takes the 3 spot and they both have solid preseasons than I think they could get some calls.  I would rather make the deal now and get something for him when we still can. I think there will be a lot of trades before cutdown day.  Dorsett could be a hot commodity.  We shall see. 

The Jets would likely throw out a sweet deal for him. They let go of Marshall and Decker. Enunwa got injured too. I think they would realistically give up a 2 for him just because of desperation. Ballard would probably let him go for a 3rd though. The Bears and 49ers should also be interested.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Jets would likely throw out a sweet deal for him. They let go of Marshall and Decker. Enunwa got injured too. I think they would realistically give up a 2 for him just because of desperation. Ballard would probably let him go for a 3rd though. The Bears and 49ers should also be interested.

If the Jets are willing to give up their 3rd for him, Ballard needs to take that deal right now! The Jets will be one of the worst teams this year so that would give Indy a very early 3rd in return. 

If the Jets are willing to give up their 3rd for him, Ballard needs to take that deal right now! The Jets will be one of the worst teams this year so that would give Indy a very early 3rd in return. 

That 3rd would likely be around the 5th pick in that round. Plus they'll likely get a few comp picks anyways.

Very likely the rumors of the Jets tanking are true. They'll be drafting in the top 5 for sure.

A lot of you didn't like my last thread. Lets do a different one then. Quincy Enunwa was the Jets no1 receiver, he's out for the year now with a neck injury, do you guys think it would be a good idea to trade Dorsett to the Jets for a 4th or 5th rounder? They are very desperate, have 0 WR's (with Robbie Anderson as their no1 right now), and may overpay slightly to get someone with potential still in Dorsett that could be a viable deep threat if used right. Do you think this could happen and would you do it?

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

A lot of you didn't like my last thread. Lets do a different one then. Quincy Enunwa was the Jets no1 receiver, he's out for the year now with a neck injury, do you guys think it would be a good idea to trade Dorsett to the Jets for a 4th or 5th rounder? They are very desperate, have 0 WR's (with Robbie Anderson as their no1 right now), and may overpay slightly to get someone with potential still in Dorsett that could be a viable deep threat if used right. Do you think this could happen and would you do it?

no

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think trading Dorsett now,  without even giving him a chance to improve under the new WR coach,  would be a terrible mistake.      It would be buying high and selling low.

I'd hate to trade Dorsett now, only to have him improve with another team.

It wouldn't hurt the Colts at all to give him another year with the new coach.    Let's see how good he can become.      He may never be worth the 1st round pick we spent....     but he might still give the Colts 2nd, or 3rd or even 4th round value.     And that would certainly beat the 6th round pick we'd likely get back for him in some pre-season trade.

My vote is to keep him and see what we have.     Even if he's the 4th WR behind Rogers....

Absolutely agree. I think this would be a horrible time to trade him. We probably won't get much for him if we decided to trade him and he still has some upside that hopefully the new coaching will unlock.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A guy wjo has played only two seasons and missed most of his games due to a broken ankle suddenly has durability issues?

Seriously?

Dorsett missed time in high school with knee and hamstring problems. He also missed time at Miami with a partial MCL tear in the same knee. And we know he hasnt been 100% healthy yet with the ankle and hamstring issues in the NFL.

I do agree that nothing has been serious but yeah he has had durability issues for sure. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think this has been the one area we all would like to see Ballard work some magic and see if he can be great in regards to trades and getting the better of them. Jon Robinson, new GM of the Titans has shown he is capable of doing this. Now I would love to see Ballard add this to his arsenal as a GM.

If Ballard could unload players that aren't contributing here and manage to get good draft picks or depth players in return, that would go a long way to further adding to the talent and depth of this team. 

I like the idea that they have Dorsett and Rogers listed as co # 3's on the 1st depth chart.  Makes for an interesting battle and keeps Dorsett appearing to be in the running for that spot. Which he probably is.  But it also keeps his trade value higher than if he was listed as the 4.  He is not a Ballard pick just as Allen was not a Ballard pick.  So I think there is a chance for a trade here, assuming they are happy with Rogers.  Just a thought but maybe straight up for Kendricks of the Eagles?  

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like the idea that they have Dorsett and Rogers listed as co # 3's on the 1st depth chart.  Makes for an interesting battle and keeps Dorsett appearing to be in the running for that spot. Which he probably is.  But it also keeps his trade value higher than if he was listed as the 4.  He is not a Ballard pick just as Allen was not a Ballard pick.  So I think there is a chance for a trade here, assuming they are happy with Rogers.  Just a thought but maybe straight up for Kendricks of the Eagles?  

Rogers,. Hilton and Moncrief are not Ballard picks either.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Jets aren't desperate.    They're not giving up a 2 for someone who won't make much difference in their season which is going to be a bottom-5 type season.     Dorsett doesn't move the needle that much.

We'd be lucky to get a 4...  and more likely have to settle for a 5 or a 6....

I think the only way we'd get a 4 is to do what we did with Allen....    send Dorsett and a 6 to get a 4....   but I seriously doubt any team would do that.....      If we move him,   then I hope I'm wrong....

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Jets aren't desperate.    They're not giving up a 2 for someone who won't make much difference in their season which is going to be a bottom-5 type season.     Dorsett doesn't move the needle that much.

We'd be lucky to get a 4...  and more likely have to settle for a 5 or a 6....

I think the only way we'd get a 4 is to do what we did with Allen....    send Dorsett and a 6 to get a 4....   but I seriously doubt any team would do that.....      If we move him,   then I hope I'm wrong....

I think we need to hope he flashes in preseason games which increases his value. Then after hopefully a few good performances, the Jets will be interested in trading a 3rd or 4th for him. 

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Given their desperation I'd expect at least a 3rd. But I'd trade him in a heartbeat. We've got depth with Aiken and Rodgers.

If the Jets are going to give up a 2nd or a high 3rd for Dorsett, I'd do that deal right now. And I'm not one of these who thinks Dorsett can't play. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the Jets are going to give up a 2nd or a high 3rd for Dorsett, I'd do that deal right now. And I'm not one of these who thinks Dorsett can't play. 

Yeah, there's no way the Colts could turn that down. It'd be nice to get someone we could plug in and play right away, but a high draft pick would be 100% worth it.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think this has been the one area we all would like to see Ballard work some magic and see if he can be great in regards to trades and getting the better of them. Jon Robinson, new GM of the Titans has shown he is capable of doing this. Now I would love to see Ballard add this to his arsenal as a GM.

If Ballard could unload players that aren't contributing here and manage to get good draft picks or depth players in return, that would go a long way to further adding to the talent and depth of this team. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but I was pretty happy with how the Dwayne Allen trade worked out. He parlayed a mediocre TE & a 6th round pick into a 4th rounder, that was pretty impressive. Not sure how I feel about the selection (Zach Banner), but time will tell I guess.

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well....    I would too....    but I think the chances of the Jets offerng a 2 or a 3 for Dorsett are Slim and None with Slim riding out of town......

Just saying.....      :peek:

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    I would too....    but I think the chances of the Jets offerng a 2 or a 3 for Dorsett are Slim and None with Slim riding out of town......

Just saying.....      :peek:

Right. It's not gonna happen.