Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Surprising 53-Man Roster Cuts Before Week One

deedub75

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

Anyone see this article?  It basically says that Dorsett and TJ Green won't make the 53-man roster.  Any thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-surprising-53-man-roster-225205962.html

Unless there's something factual behind it and not just an assumption, I would take it with a grain of salt. If Ballard is down on Green and Dorsett and they have something backing it up, then I'd take it seriously.

Possible....      but not likely.....

If you're doing an article and looking to write something different and eye catching for the average Colts fan,  this is it...

I don't Ballard would like either move to happen.     Or, put another way,  I think someone is going to have to surprise greatly to the upside for these two to be cut.

i think both will be on the roster

every team has receivers who dont produce much.  dorsett will stick around for now, he has too much talent for somebody else to come in and make him look expendable

ive said some bad stuff about green, but the fact is that we are short players at the safety position.  he would have to look really terrible to lose his job now

special teams could be a factor for both too

everyone knows we dont have much depth at safety and CB, and our RBs are not the special team type

green should probably be a gunner, not sure why he hast been put there yet.

With Geathers uncertainty we'll probably sign a cut veteran like we did with Mike Adams to play SS anyway.  If there are two proven vets out there maybe Green gets cut.  But he'll probably backup the yet-to-be-found starter this season.

Unless Dorsett has learning disability or something that shows up at TC, there is no reason for him not to make the 53, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No reason to cut 2 guys that are still on their rookie deals. Dorsett would actually cost more to cut than to keep on the roster, and Green might need to play some meaningful snaps if Geathers' health continues to keep him sidelined, so I just don't see it happening.

This is the correct answer.

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

No way Green doesn't make the cut.

Dorsett could be on the outside looking in if Aiken learns the offense quickly. 

IMO Dorsett may lose his spot as the 3rd receiver but he won't be cut. I am not too sure if there is a true 2nd-3rd or 4th receiver in reality because of what offensive plays are called.

Imo, the WR corp is set, I don't see anyone sneak in. It will be T.Y, Moncrief as #1 and #2 and then Aiken, Rogers and Dorsett in #3 to #5 in no particular order, then Bray as PR/KR. Dorsett is an underarchiever as a first rounder, but he's never been higher than #3 on the depth chart. And 500 yards - his last year production - is OK from a #3, #4 receiver to secure his job. Will he get a 2nd contract from the Colts? I doubt so, but this year, he stays imo.

T.J Green, hmm... If Geathers was healthy, I might said Green was in the roster bubble. But Geathers being injured, I say his spot is safe too.

58 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I think one surprise cut could be Langford due to younger depth.

One of those depth players are going to have to take a leap and overtake Langford as a starter before he ever gets cut.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Unless there's something factual behind it and not just an assumption, I would take it with a grain of salt. If Ballard is down on Green and Dorsett and they have something backing it up, then I'd take it seriously.

Exactly.  This is nothing but this dudes opinion.  It's pure speculation based on what he thinks and nothing else.   I do feel like there's a little heat under Dorsett and Greens collars though.  However there are no facts in the article to say them getting cut is a foregone conclusion.

Dorsett's salary for this year is fully guaranteed.  It would be a cap hit to cut him.  He will get at least one more year.

https://overthecap.com/player/phillip-dorsett/3877

The majority of Green's salary for this year is guaranteed and with the pro-rated bonus it would be a cap hit to cut him.  He also will be given at least one more year.

https://overthecap.com/player/tj-green/4770/

Now if neither one does anything, I expect them both to be let go at the end of the year.  But right now it doesn't make financial sense to cut them.

21 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I completely agree that these are two very possible surprise cuts. Langford is another player who could potentially be cut if performance isn't up to par.

Langford's performance will be directly tied to his health.  If he's back to 100% I'd expect him to have a a good year and start all 16 games.  No matter what happens I don't see him getting cut until next offseason at the very earliest, unless they release him with an injury settlement.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No reason to cut 2 guys that are still on their rookie deals. Dorsett would actually cost more to cut than to keep on the roster, and Green might need to play some meaningful snaps if Geathers' health continues to keep him sidelined, so I just don't see it happening.

Why play a guy (Green) who can't play? There are players who will be cut from other rosters better than Green. I will be very surprised if he makes the team.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Why play a guy (Green) who can't play? There are players who will be cut from other rosters better than Green. I will be very surprised if he makes the team.

We have no idea what kind of progress he's made over the course of the offseason, or who's going to be available on the waiver wire come September. Passing judgment an any player after watching only their rookie season is shortsighted.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Exactly.  This is nothing but this dudes opinion.  It's pure speculation based on what he thinks and nothing else.   I do feel like there's a little heat under Dorsett and Greens collars though.  However there are no facts in the article to say them getting cut is a foregone conclusion.

He literally picked the 2 players Colts fans dislike the most and wrote an article about them getting cut because he knew Colts fans would eat it up.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

No way Green doesn't make the cut.

Dorsett could be on the outside looking in if Aiken learns the offense quickly. 

I'm still not seeing the hype around Aiken, I just think people want so desperately for him to beat out Dorsett that they're losing sight of the fact that he got buried on the depth chart in Baltimore behind guys like Wallace and Perriman. That being the case, I really don't know how he's going to fare in the Colts offense. If he comes in with a chip on his shoulder about getting overlooked with the Ravens, then maybe we've got something, but the way I view it right now he's just another guy.

32 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm still not seeing the hype around Aiken, I just think people want so desperately for him to beat out Dorsett that they're losing sight of the fact that he got buried on the depth chart in Baltimore behind guys like Wallace and Perriman. That being the case, I really don't know how he's going to fare in the Colts offense. If he comes in with a chip on his shoulder about getting overlooked with the Ravens, then maybe we've got something, but the way I view it right now he's just another guy.

I agree. Dorsett gets a lot of disrespect because he hasn't lived up to what some expected of him.

IMO Dorsett hasn't been utilized to show his talent.

There are so many who hated him being drafted where he was it's turned to hatred aimed at him. Dorsett didn't draft himself. Dorsett is not in charge of calling plays that utilizes his ability.

I admit I don't know too much about Aiken but if he couldn't break into a starting role at Baltimore with their receivers I don't know if he is going to fair any better here.

I think Green will be alright in the Deone Buchannon role and some other specialty stuff.  Keep it simple.

I think Aiken can play.  Should do well with Luck and give us another Red Zone threat. Very reliable hands.  Deceptive speed.  We are asking him to be the #3 receiver. Not #1 or #2.  Good size to body up on people and good hands for that role. Previously had 75 plus catch season with Flacco as the featured receiver.  Good pick up to me.

I don't know when Ballard talked about the WR''s. It was pretty apparent that Dorset was an afterthought. He wasn't on the field much for OTA's bc he was banged up again. He doesn't help ST's. It wouldn't be shocking if we went TY Donte Chester Aiken somebody else Smith Howard etc If we are leaning that way I hope we try to feature him some in the  preseason. We might get a late pick for the guy.  

Green is the guy I have a hard time seeing. Hooker will be back but Geathers is an unknown. We have Butler and Fairley both of whom the staff and Ballard have praised this off season. Then the recent addition of Powell.

If all 3 of those guys outplay Green that's still just 4 guys at S. I'd think we still carry him. If Geathers is cleared and is back ready to go. That changes everything. 

Langford is not going anywhere. I would watch Banner as a surprise cut. The weight and no position flexibility. I think he'd make it to the PS.  Morrison is another one I could see. None of those guys are that shocking. 

Ballard has beat the competition drum since he got here. He's 100% correct. The  lockerroom knows if you don't back it up. I have no doubt he plans to. 

The more surprising thing would be if there were not a couple of surprises when we cut down or after everyone has. KC may be looking at cutting Gaines or Acker maybe both at CB. 

I think it's extremely unlikely that either gets cut before the start of the season but worth pointing out Ballard has no attachment to them because he didn't draft them which does mean it's possible he could cut them if he doesn't like what he sees. 

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it's extremely unlikely that either gets cut before the start of the season but worth pointing out Ballard has no attachment to them because he didn't draft them which does mean it's possible he could cut them if he doesn't like what he sees. 

Ballard having or not having attachments has zero to do with them making the roster. If they can play and contribute to wins with their talent they will be Colts. If not, goodbye.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard having or not having attachments has zero to do with them making the roster. If they can play and contribute to wins with their talent they will be Colts. If not, goodbye.

That's why Dorsett could get cut.  If someone emerges and outplays him then I don't see why Ballard would keep him. That being said, I hope he has a breakout year. 

9 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

That's why Dorsett could get cut.  If someone emerges and outplays him then I don't see why Ballard would keep him. That being said, I hope he has a breakout year. 

If someone outplays him all that means is he will go to the 4th position.

Dorsett has yet to be utilized the way he should have been. There is a couple of reasons. One was Luck hasn't had the time to look or go through any progressions.

Another is Luck force feeds Hilton and when he is not found it is dump off time to Doyle. Moncrief gets the end zone looks so that leaves very little for Dorsett.

Dorsett still has 2 years left on his rookie contract and was a first round pick. The Colts are not going to cut him without knowing what he can do IMO. The talent level is there so it is up to the OC to call plays that involve Dorsett. It is not unusual for a receiver to take three years to adjust to the NFL. For that to happen he must be utilized.

I'm like you, I hope he has a breakout season. That is a tall order for him being 3rd on the depth chart.

I think the team needs to decide where to play Green and give him a chance to compete at that position.  If it's safety so be it.  But I have read reports where they are thinking corner as well.  He is a great athlete so I hope they can figure it out.  I think he needs to find a position and concentrate on it.  Gaethers injury could change everything and help decide where he plays.  Either or I find it hard to believe he would be a surprise cut.   Dorsett, on the other hand , is a different story.  He really needs to solidify his starting role in camp and preseason.  I have a good feeling about our new WR coach and his ability to improve players performances.  So I am keeping my fingers crossed.   But if he does not separate himself from Rogers or Aiken then a new scenario could develop.  Not an outright cut but a trade at the cutdown date.  Teams would have gone through training camp and preseason and some teams will suffer injuries at the WR position or are not happy with their depth.  This is where I see Dorsett as a trade option more than a cut.  If a trade were to develop it could be a player for a   player where we get another player in a position of need.  Maybe a player a team has been trying to trade or a players contract they can no longer afford.  Cut down day would be the perfect time to try and make a deal.  Of course he could always be traded for a pick as well.  I am hoping this is his big year and he is with us for a long time.  But if he can't separate from the pack then I think a trade would make more sense. An outright cut makes no sense to me. 

Both will make it... Green needs to step up if Geathers and/or Hooker miss time. It's his second year and he has elite physical traits. 

I don't see Dorsett being beat out by T. Smith (although I like him) or Bug Howard. He has disappointed, but isn't as bad as many here think. 

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If someone outplays him all that means is he will go to the 4th position.

Dorsett has yet to be utilized the way he should have been. There is a couple of reasons. One was Luck hasn't had the time to look or go through any progressions.

Another is Luck force feeds Hilton and when he is not found it is dump off time to Doyle. Moncrief gets the end zone looks so that leaves very little for Dorsett.

Dorsett still has 2 years left on his rookie contract and was a first round pick. The Colts are not going to cut him without knowing what he can do IMO. The talent level is there so it is up to the OC to call plays that involve Dorsett. It is not unusual for a receiver to take three years to adjust to the NFL. For that to happen he must be utilized.

I'm like you, I hope he has a breakout season. That is a tall order for him being 3rd on the depth chart.

I don't know why people keep saying he wasn't used properly. He's a speed demon who was never a good route runner and he was never a dominate receiver at Miami. He was drafted in the first round purely because of his speed. He has had problems getting open. His big plays last season came when there was blown coverage or when a defender fell down. If he wasn't used properly it's because they haven't figured out how to use him.  Hilton, Doyle, and Moncrief have their niche.  Dorsett doesn't have one yet. Plus, he's often injured. He missed mini camp due to injury. Until he improves his route running and footwork, that excuse of the team not using him properly just doesn't fly. 

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We have no idea what kind of progress he's made over the course of the offseason, or who's going to be available on the waiver wire come September. Passing judgment an any player after watching only their rookie season is shortsighted.

Green was already passed up during the mini camp. It appears the organization has seen little improvement in his play. Wait until they go to live tackling and Green will be shown the door.

19 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I don't see Dorsett being beat out by T. Smith (although I like him) or Bug Howard. He has disappointed, but isn't as bad as many here think. 

this

he would have to lose his job to a no name at this point, and he is too good for that

guys off the street cant say they have made 60 yard TDs in the nfl and averaged almost 20 yards per catch