Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two Surprising 53-Man Roster Cuts Before Week One

deedub75

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Green will be alright in the Deone Buchannon role and some other specialty stuff.  Keep it simple.

I think Aiken can play.  Should do well with Luck and give us another Red Zone threat. Very reliable hands.  Deceptive speed.  We are asking him to be the #3 receiver. Not #1 or #2.  Good size to body up on people and good hands for that role. Previously had 75 plus catch season with Flacco as the featured receiver.  Good pick up to me.

I really like that signing. Aiken could help really open things up for TY. That's a scary thought for opposing D's. I think TY is in for a big year hopefully on fewer targets. Luck's gotta spread it around and other receivers have to squeeze it. 

Our O is about to pop. The right side makes a jump. Mack or any of our RB's can give us that RB the D has to account for in the passing game. That's not asking a lot. Look out. 

54 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I don't know why people keep saying he wasn't used properly. He's a speed demon who was never a good route runner and he was never a dominate receiver at Miami. He was drafted in the first round purely because of his speed. He has had problems getting open. His big plays last season came when there was blown coverage or when a defender fell down. If he wasn't used properly it's because they haven't figured out how to use him.  Hilton, Doyle, and Moncrief have their niche.  Dorsett doesn't have one yet. Plus, he's often injured. He missed mini camp due to injury. Until he improves his route running and footwork, that excuse of the team not using him properly just doesn't fly. 

No receiver is going to look good if the QB does not go to him. Luck has yet to show he can use timing patterns or quick slants. Dorsett would be very good at quick slants and does have good hands.

So in your opinion the Colts not calling plays that would benefit Dorsett is his fault?

Ballard is going to improve this team 365 days a year and if cutting Green and Dorsett will improve the team then that is what he will do.

If he can find enough talent in the UDFA pool or other team's castoff cuts

Then these guys and other bubble players may be cut. Ballard has enough cap space to play with so who really knows what is going through his mind.

Both are better athletes then they are football players. I don't see the upside in cutting either one, unless somebody just absolutely plays their way onto the roster. I know it was more the exception than the rule, but Dorsett did make some nice plays at times last year. TJ Green, ahhhh not so much. I do think he could be a solid contributor on special teams though.

19 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Why play a guy (Green) who can't play? There are players who will be cut from other rosters better than Green. I will be very surprised if he makes the team.

With both projected starters sidelined for most of the offseason, Green is the backup at FS. He can't be cut unless he's passed up. Plus, Landon Collins had an almost equally bad first year, and he just about won DPOY in his second. I'm not saying Green has the talent level of Collins; I'm just saying give him time.

Well if the article is about surprise cuts, his picks would have to be....well....surprising, so I can see why they were picked.  If you play along, I could see that happening if we happen to sign a couple guys later on. 

17 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Green was already passed up during the mini camp. It appears the organization has seen little improvement in his play. Wait until they go to live tackling and Green will be shown the door.

Tackling is one of his best strengths, if anything he'll be at an advantage once they put pads on.

its the simple questions for dorsett and green. For dorsett have you learned to use your speed to be a better route runner instead of just running one route or just being a decoy. For green, have you learned about coverage responsibilities and not over-pursuit plays  

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard having or not having attachments has zero to do with them making the roster. If they can play and contribute to wins with their talent they will be Colts. If not, goodbye.

GMs tend to hold on to "their guys" longer.  The fact these aren't Ballard's guys makes it more likely he will give up on them sooner if he doesn't think they are producing.

Ballard is on record saying it doesn't matter what round you were drafted in, the best player gets the job. If Green is just as good as an UDFA, I would expect Ballard to keep the UDFA just to prove he isn't messing around. I would expect the sooner Ballard distances himself from the busted Grigson draft picks, the better for the organization moving forward

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

GMs tend to hold on to "their guys" longer.  The fact these aren't Ballard's guys makes it more likely he will give up on them sooner if he doesn't think they are producing.

We have no history of what Ballard's tendencies are. The players he has already cut needed to be let go. He preaches he don't care what round you were drafted in and competition would determine the playing time.

It may be your opinion that Ballard more than likely would hold his players longer but the reality is we don't know that yet. I think you been around the Polians too long! :D

On 7/7/2017 at 9:30 PM, crazycolt1 said:

No receiver is going to look good if the QB does not go to him. Luck has yet to show he can use timing patterns or quick slants. Dorsett would be very good at quick slants and does have good hands.

So in your opinion the Colts not calling plays that would benefit Dorsett is his fault?

He was used properly as a decoy, in which he excelled.  

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

We have no history of what Ballard's tendencies are. The players he has already cut needed to be let go. He preaches he don't care what round you were drafted in and competition would determine the playing time.

It may be your opinion that Ballard more than likely would hold his players longer but the reality is we don't know that yet. I think you been around the Polians too long! :D

That has nothing to do with the Polians it's how GMs in ALL sports operate.  If they draft a guy high they saw potential in them and more likely to give that guy time to show what they thought they saw when they drafted him.  When in a new GM comes in he doesn't have any connection to that player so they have no problem letting the guy go if they aren't showing potential because they have no ties to that player.  This isn't some outlandish theory I am throwing out there it's pretty much accepted across the board as how GMs operate. 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That has nothing to do with the Polians it's how GMs in ALL sports operate.  If they draft a guy high they saw potential in them and more likely to give that guy time to show what they thought they saw when they drafted him.  When in a new GM comes in he doesn't have any connection to that player so they have no problem letting the guy go if they aren't showing potential because they have no ties to that player.  This isn't some outlandish theory I am throwing out there it's pretty much accepted across the board as how GMs operate. 

Well I am sorry you have no sense of humor. I didn't have a clue you knew Ballard well enough to know what he does.

21 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Tackling is one of his best strengths, if anything he'll be at an advantage once they put pads on.

21 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

He missed a lot of tackles at Clemson. Sorry to disagree, but I don't see tackling as a strength.

Yeah, I think Green graded out well/decent against the run in College, at least better than if coverage. While I know he didn't impress much last season, I do remember the notion of him being a heavy/hard hitter was out there floating around for some reason or another, so maybe that can shed some light on the difference in outlook over Green & his tackling acumen...

Either way, hopefully Green & Dorsett can put it together and be at least serviceable this next season...

On 7/7/2017 at 5:13 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm still not seeing the hype around Aiken, I just think people want so desperately for him to beat out Dorsett that they're losing sight of the fact that he got buried on the depth chart in Baltimore behind guys like Wallace and Perriman. That being the case, I really don't know how he's going to fare in the Colts offense. If he comes in with a chip on his shoulder about getting overlooked with the Ravens, then maybe we've got something, but the way I view it right now he's just another guy.

It sounds like you're suggesting that I want Dorsett to fail, which is not the case. I'm just excited to have a bigger receiver that can use his body against defenders to catch the ball. We need another possession receiver like Reggie. 

Maybe Aiken is that guy, maybe he's not. Maybe Dorsett makes a huge step forward, maybe he doesn't. 

Nobody knows. 

Neither will be cut! Dorsett is a speed guy who is asked to do slants and short routes which are not his strength thus the signing of akiens! A bigger stronger guy! Dorsetts strength is longer routes using his speed and hands or broken plays using the such!  Unfortunately his skill set is the same as TY's .  I think Dorsett has a chance to be a good player that being said the colts have had a hard time figuring out how to use TY and Dorsett at the same time!  I would use them in Bunch sets and that both run with their speed good luck trying to cover both of them but with the addition of Akins his playing time may go down he will  have to earn it!  He won't cut bu could he could get traded though.  Green will not get Cut either!  Way too much raw talent he does like to hit he's not afraid  of contact has a lot of speed and a lot of length .  All In all Incoachable  traits. green's problem was he is very raw when drafted, and he was thrown to the fire to early with injuries! He needs to  relax and put his nose in the playbook know his responsabities & just play not think! Would not surprise me when all said and done he is starting! Also if it doesn't work out at safety I think he could have the ability to play corner? Both stay though!

I am questioning and have been doing so since last season whether Phillip Dorsett is better than Chester Rogers. I think Rogers does a number of things better than Dorsett and he's got more size. Rogers knows how to get open and has pretty reliable hands. I'd feel pretty comfortable with Chester and Kamar Aiken on the inside. You don't always feel O comfortable that Phil can beat that tight one on one coverage.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I am questioning and have been doing so since last season whether Phillip Dorsett is better than Chester Rogers. I think Rogers does a number of things better than Dorsett including special teams and he's got more size. Rogers knows how to get open and has pretty reliable hands. I'd feel pretty comfortable with Chester and Kamar Aiken on the inside. I don't always feel secure that Phil can beat that tight one on one coverage. I do like Dorsetts overall speed though. Hands aren't that bad either. Just dont think he's very elusive in the open field. I've seen Chester on more than one occasion turn a small gain into a big one.

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

It sounds like you're suggesting that I want Dorsett to fail, which is not the case. I'm just excited to have a bigger receiver that can use his body against defenders to catch the ball. We need another possession receiver like Reggie. 

Maybe Aiken is that guy, maybe he's not. Maybe Dorsett makes a huge step forward, maybe he doesn't. 

Nobody knows. 

It's my belief that about 95% of Colts fans want Dorsett to fail, along with TJ Green. If you're not part of that group, my apologies.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's my belief that about 95% of Colts fans want Dorsett to fail, along with TJ Green. If you're not part of that group, my apologies.

Hey I want everyone to succeed, but there's only so many spots.....and I don't get paid to make those decisions.

I'd be happy if Dorsett would learn how to run clean routes (instead of rounding them off) and if TJ Green would give out concussions to someone other than a team mate. 

On 7/7/2017 at 3:03 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Dorsett's salary for this year is fully guaranteed.  It would be a cap hit to cut him.  He will get at least one more year.

https://overthecap.com/player/phillip-dorsett/3877

The majority of Green's salary for this year is guaranteed and with the pro-rated bonus it would be a cap hit to cut him.  He also will be given at least one more year.

https://overthecap.com/player/tj-green/4770/

Now if neither one does anything, I expect them both to be let go at the end of the year.  But right now it doesn't make financial sense to cut them.

The only way I can see either of these two leaving the team this season would be from a trade or if one of them Outright quit trying to be taught. I don't see that in either one but a trade for a lower draft pick maybe, especially with Dorsett. Saying that, I think both scenarios are very slim to occur and the two will be Colts in 2017

On 7/7/2017 at 6:47 PM, WarGhost21 said:

I'm just going to come out and say it: I quit reading the article when I saw just how bad the grammar was. As a sports writer, and even a writer in general, you would think they could at least pass 9th Grade English!

Now Warghost, you're going to hurt the feelings of some little millennial who has become a writer because their mom has told them how great a writer they are. Lol If he has seen the critiscm over his writing yet, he is likely to be sitting in the basement feverishly playing Xbox and rocking back and forth in a trance saying " I am a very good writer" over and over  lmao!  

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No one wants him to fail but 95% probably agree that there were better options when Dorsett was drafted. 

5 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

who knows what our draft pick hooker will be,we will keep green unless we pick up a cut vet

I like him & I think he'll be a really good player. Can you imagine this forum if Grigson had used the 15th overall pick to draft a player that missed every mini-camp & OTA practice in his rookie year though? Ooooh boy... it would be apocalyptic.

7 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

who knows what our draft pick hooker will be,we will keep green unless we pick up a cut vet

I don't think there is a chance of Green going anywhere unless Geathers is back. We only have Butler Farley Higjtower Powell and Graham on the roster. If we keep 5 without Geathers then Butler and 3 others from that group would have to beat him out. I think Graham has a shot at the PS. 

I would keep an eye on the CB's being cut. The word is KC may cut Gaines and Acker. Gaines a 2014 3rd round pick hasn't been able to win his job back since a knee injury. He's only 26.  

I see Dorsett being traded more than anything. He's worth at least a 3rd or 4th round pick. But he's expendable with Aiken here.

Green is a legitimate candidate to be cut. The ceiling everyone talks about him having is an imaginary one. He's just a STs player IMO. But he's not worth keeping just for that

On 7/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, krunk said:

I am questioning and have been doing so since last season whether Phillip Dorsett is better than Chester Rogers. I think Rogers does a number of things better than Dorsett and he's got more size. Rogers knows how to get open and has pretty reliable hands. I'd feel pretty comfortable with Chester and Kamar Aiken on the inside. You don't always feel O comfortable that Phil can beat that tight one on one coverage.

The answer is no.  He has made some good catches sure, but if it isn't a wide open field then that is where the play ends.  He isn't going to make people miss or run through tackles.  And a physical db shuts him down pretty quick.

37 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

The answer is no.  He has made some good catches sure, but if it isn't a wide open field then that is where the play ends.  He isn't going to make people miss or run through tackles.  And a physical db shuts him down pretty quick.

I don't agree.   I've seen Chester break more long runs after the catch than Phil. Phil is better at the deep ball maybe, but not at taking a short gain and breaking it into a long one.  Phil hasnt done that yet at all.

My bad if you were saying Phil isn't better than Chester.  I'm leaning towards agreeing with that.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:09 PM, deedub75 said:

No one wants him to fail but 95% probably agree that there were better options when Dorsett was drafted. 

I'd bet my next paycheck that that statement is not true. :)

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I don't agree.   I've seen Chester break more long runs after the catch than Phil. Phil is better at the deep ball maybe, but not at taking a short gain and breaking it into a long one.  Phil hasnt done that yet at all.

My bad if you were saying Phil isn't better than Chester.  I'm leaning towards agreeing with that.

No I wasn't clear enough.  So to me your question was is PD better than Rogers and that is why I said the answer is no.

I like Dorsett, but he is JAG in my opinion and not a playmaker so to speak.  I love TY, but even he has trouble getting open at times, so I think we need the presence of more physical receivers to help TY out and Dorsett isn't that person.  I think Rogers can be (and is for the most part).

All of my comments above are basically agreeing with what you are saying.

Again, sorry I should have been more clear in what i was trying to say.

Seeing how well Rodgers has played, and by all accounts continuing to impress, and the addition of Aiken I think I wouldn't be afraid to include Dorsett in a trade for a player like Quinn or another accomplished defensive starter that might be available due to salary cap issues or 53 man roster decisions on his current team.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Seeing how well Rodgers has played, and by all accounts continuing to impress, and the addition of Aiken I think I wouldn't be afraid to include Dorsett in a trade for a player like Quinn or another accomplished defensive starter that might be available due to salary cap issues or 53 man roster decisions on his current team.  

Agree.

Man do I miss the Marvin - Wayne duo.  Those days were some fun times to be a Colts fan.

Perhaps Aiken is just what we need?  Again, can't wait to get the answer to that.

On 7/7/2017 at 1:37 PM, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Dorsett may lose his spot as the 3rd receiver but he won't be cut. I am not too sure if there is a true 2nd-3rd or 4th receiver in reality because of what offensive plays are called.

Dorsett maybe the 5th receiver if rogers and aiken out shine him

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i think it will be no particular order, and they will be used situationally based on their skill sets

That's what I am hoping for. That could very well happen if Luck just gets the time to go through some progressions.

It is time for Luck to start throwing a few slants and timing patterns and quit force feeding Hilton.