Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's an idea; Why not trade our 1st. pick for

Melvin Ingram?   Really, It appears the Chargers are going to have a hard time signing him as I have read where he is the one with a real strong chance to hit FA.  The Chargers get our 1st. and we get our opportunity to sign him before FA.  Worse case we franchise him but we most likely sign him.  He is a proven stud ER.  We don't have to worry about a 1st. pick not panning out like so many have in the past.  He's about as close to a sure thing there is.  We have a high pick so I have to think it would be appealing to the Chargers.  I suppose we could sign him in FA but that's not a guarantee.  The trade guarantees he is with us.  Is this a crazy idea or does it have some merit?  What do you guys think? 

Wow, I don't think Grigson would have come up with something insane like that. Give a first round pick to a team who isn't able to sign the guy and will enter into a FA bidding war. The positive you see here is the ability to say he is on your team now and pay him franchise fees for 1-2 seasons while trying to pay him big bucks? You don't give another team your 1st round pick for an unsigned player, you do that for players under team control already for at least a year or two and he better be special to give up a first. See Trent Richards for an example of why not to give up a first round pick. 

This draft is a great pass rusher class. We let Ballard do his homework and pick us a stud and we pay rookie money. 

If it was a poor class for pass rushers it might be a different story (although still a stretch)  but it's a lot to lose for what you would gain. 

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Melvin Ingram?   Really, It appears the Chargers are going to have a hard time signing him as I have read where he is the one with a real strong chance to hit FA.  The Chargers get our 1st. and we get our opportunity to sign him before FA.  Worse case we franchise him but we most likely sign him.  He is a proven stud ER.  We don't have to worry about a 1st. pick not panning out like so many have in the past.  He's about as close to a sure thing there is.  We have a high pick so I have to think it would be appealing to the Chargers.  I suppose we could sign him in FA but that's not a guarantee.  The trade guarantees he is with us.  Is this a crazy idea or does it have some merit?  What do you guys think? 

Why would you trade for a guy who is a free agent?

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Like I said above there is no guarantee you sign him in FA with all the competition you are facing with other teams. Trading guarantees the acquisition. 

Yah but if he wouldnt want to be here as a free agent, chances are he wont be here long. Worst case scenario we trade a 1st for him, tag him for a year and then he leaves (or worse yet he holds out). Best case scenario we have a good pass rusher for 4 yrs who costs 5x as much as the good pass rusher we could have drafted. 

Yes the draft pick is an unknown but they are not any less risky then ingram. Who's to say ingram will be successful in our defense with our supporting cast of players around him. Free agency is risky too, but costs your team WAY more.  

If they are going to have a hard time signing him, instead of trading a 1st to get him AND giving him a big contract to stay long term, why not just give him a big contract once he hits the market and keep our top 15 pick, and use it to get a bookend for him?

Just a thought. 

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yah but if he wouldnt want to be here as a free agent, chances are he wont be here long. Worst case scenario we trade a 1st for him, tag him for a year and then he leaves (or worse yet he holds out). Best case scenario we have a good pass rusher for 4 yrs who costs 5x as much as the good pass rusher we could have drafted. 

Yes the draft pick is an unknown but they are not any less risky then ingram. Who's to say ingram will be successful in our defense with our supporting cast of players around him. Free agency is risky too, but costs your team WAY more.  

You are right it wouldn't make sense if he didn't want to be here.   If SD is interested you see what his demands are and see if it's feasible.  You could probably work it out a contract before a trade is done.  Many people were ready to trade a high pick for Moe W. for example.  The only difference he is under contract.  In this case he is a FA but if you can get a deal done then it's pretty much the same thing.  Many people want us to get him in FA so the cost is the same.  The only extra is the pick and all picks are risky.  Dorsett, Werner, just to name a few on our team alone.  You don't know if any pass rusher we draft works out.  Look what happened to Clowney.  Finally after how many years you finally get something out of the guy and he was the overall no.1. Ingram has proven himself just like Moe.  Obviously not a popular idea though. That's okay.  Just throwing out another possibility. 

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Like I said above there is no guarantee you sign him in FA with all the competition you are facing with other teams. Trading guarantees the acquisition. 

You should let this go.  Resist any other temptation to add to this thread.

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You are right it wouldn't make sense if he didn't want to be here.   If SD is interested you see what his demands are and see if it's feasible.  You could probably work it out a contract before a trade is done.  Many people were ready to trade a high pick for Moe W. for example.  The only difference he is under contract.  In this case he is a FA but if you can get a deal done then it's pretty much the same thing.  Many people want us to get him in FA so the cost is the same.  The only extra is the pick and all picks are risky.  Dorsett, Werner, just to name a few on our team alone.  You don't know if any pass rusher we draft works out.  Look what happened to Clowney.  Finally after how many years you finally get something out of the guy and he was the overall no.1. Ingram has proven himself just like Moe.  Obviously not a popular idea though. That's okay.  Just throwing out another possibility. 

I see I was too late.

What you are proposing in mind-numbingly wrong and has less than a zero % chance of happening.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Nuts

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Yes picks are risky, but again, so are free agents. Lots of players do well on one team and then disappear when they get their big contract somewhere else. Players like Cherilus, Landry and even Toler were all seen as top players going into their free agency, None of them panned out either. Even last offseason you had players like Osweiler, Gipson, Ivory and Fleener all fail to live up to expectations despite being top pickups with top dollar price tags. The draft might be a bit riskier for busts vs free agency, but it doesnt cost nearly as much as can be supplemented by using the cap you saved to help the team. a draft bust is much easier to overcome vs a free agent bust (example - way harder to fix the QB situation in Houston vs the Broncos).

I would rather keep the draft pick AND make a play for someone in free agency. The more shots you have, the better your chance at finding a stud. 

Here's why you don't trade for him like you suggest ....

You can't!

My understanding is no trades can occur now until the new league year begins.  When the new league year begins, he's a free agent.  Ergo, the trade you are advocating needed to happen before the 2016 trading deadline.  The suggestion is now moot. 

Debate closed.  :-| 

9 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

You can't!

My understanding is no trades can occur now until the new league year begins.  When the new league year begins, he's a free agent.  Ergo, the trade you are advocating needed to happen before the 2016 trading deadline.  The suggestion is now moot. 

Very good point!! 

• MTC locked and unlocked this topic
49 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

You can't!

Im really surprised it took that long for someone to point this out. I blame it on the overwhelming absurdity of the original proposition.

:)

How does this have this many replies????? I mean. Do I have to state the obvious? HE''S A FREE AGENT BRO!!!! Why not just sign him to a 5/56???? But I'd trade our 1st for a young stud like Danielle Hunter who we should have drafted btw. I'm down with that. Or Anthony Barr. Barr could be a 15 sack a year EDGE rusher if he wasn't playing OLB in Minnesota's 43. He's not getting much chance to show what he can do rushing the passer. But he's proven to be an all around player with that said. But I think his value would be more as a 34 OLB.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I get that you are just throwing around ideas and that this is what helps make your point BUT, it isn't even possible. You see, we are still in season 2016 as far as the NFL is concerned and the trade deadline has long passed us by. When the new league year starts(March 9th) Ingram WILL be a FA and unable to be acquired through trade. Edit: Chargers could sign him before March 9th but, you get my point.

Posting is fun and I am excited for the offseason(its my favorite time of the year with so much speculation)but, I hope we can all learn from this and think it through before posting.

Better luck next time.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Booooooooo that makes no sense at all...get a young edge rusher for a much lower price who will be a cornerstone for our defense for a decade to come, and then try to get Melvin Ingram in free agency, which is still a very legitimate possibility!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

If they are going to have a hard time signing him, instead of trading a 1st to get him AND giving him a big contract to stay long term, why not just give him a big contract once he hits the market and keep our top 15 pick, and use it to get a bookend for him?

Just a thought. 

How dare you bring logic into this thread. 

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Darn it irsay, you should have hired this guy instead of Ballard!

haha

On a sid note, rookie contracts are relatively cheap, his would not be. So you lose ground in the salary cap.

aside from his production, thats why the Trent desl for a first wasnt so bad. Cleveland ate the bonus so he came relatively cheap. Too bad it didnt work out, but still, at least financially, was digestable.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No it doesn't.   He still has to sign a contract with you.   You can't trade for a guy that isn't under contract