Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

According to PFF, Kelly has not had one negative play

CR91

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jesus. That's insane. Sounds like he's on his way to a rookie pro browl. This guy is everything they said he would be and more. I think he's probably the reason for Henry's success at Alabama.

Henry is a Bull. I seen a little preseason action on him and he's a load.

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I said it before we drafted the kid, I said it after we drafted him, I will say it again: Kelly is something special. He is good now, but after a few years, this kid will be the best in the league.

Yeah this kid well beyond his years. He's smart, tough and level headed barring the unthinkable as in injury this kid is going to dominate. 

Most everyone is praising the pick now but before the draft most all who said picking a center in the first round should cost Grigson his job. It would be the dumbest move since the Richardson deal. That deal was thought to be a good move when it was made by most including me.

Well I was wrong about the Richardson deal but how many of you will admit you were wrong about the Kelly pick?

I was okay with the pick after it was all said and done because I knew we got a darn good football player.  At the end of the day that's what counts the most.  Prior to the draft I didn't think a center should be taken as BPA in the first round, but conventional wisdom can be broken depending on the situation.  No big deal!

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Most everyone is praising the pick now but before the draft most all who said picking a center in the first round should cost Grigson his job. It would be the dumbest move since the Richardson deal. That deal was thought to be a good move when it was made by most including me.

Well I was wrong about the Richardson deal but how many of you will admit you were wrong about the Kelly pick?

I mocked Kelly to the Colts.  The only player that I would have taken instead of Kelly (outside of the obvious top 8 or so players) was the OLB/DE from Georgia whom the Bears took a few picks before us (forget his name)

Anybody know how that kid is doing this preseason?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I mocked Kelly to the Colts.  The only player that I would have taken instead of Kelly (outside of the obvious top 8 or so players) was the OLB/DE from Georgia whom the Bears took a few picks before us (forget his name)

There was very few of us that wanted a center in the 1st. round. I was called pretty much stupid and had no knowledge of football for even suggesting a center in the 1st round. The center spot should never be taken till rounds 3 or 4.

Luck and the running backs were getting pounded mostly from right up the middle. The penetration not only put Luck in jeopardy it pretty much stopped the running game before it got started.

If Kelly can be to Luck what Saturday was to Manning he was worth a 1st round pick IMO.

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was called pretty much stupid and had no knowledge of football for even suggesting a center in the 1st round.

It might be, however, that being stupid and having no knowledge of football is orthogonal (having nothing to do with) with wanting a center in round 1 of the draft. Who knows?

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There was very few of us that wanted a center in the 1st. round. I was called pretty much stupid and had no knowledge of football for even suggesting a center in the 1st round. The center spot should never be taken till rounds 3 or 4.

Luck and the running backs were getting pounded mostly from right up the middle. The penetration not only put Luck in jeopardy it pretty much stopped the running game before it got started.

If Kelly can be to Luck what Saturday was to Manning he was worth a 1st round pick IMO.

I didn't want a C in the first round.  I wanted a stud OLB.  Positional value is important, IMO.  Having said that, with the TRich and Werner busts, I thought this draft was very important to get a sure thing.  Get a player that was a consensus 10 year starter, considering the Colts had holes everywhere except WR.  OLBs can be risky, even if they project well.

The idea of getting a sure thing, and the fact that C was probably as much of a need as pass rusher, I thought Kelly was the best pick, despite my lack of enthusiasm for a C in the first round.

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Leonard Floyd is his name. He's been doing well (from what I heard), despite tweaking his hamstring a few days ago. Pretty sure Chicago is trying to ease him into their defence right now.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I shotgunned a beer and did 3 shots when we took Kelly, it's who I wanted 2 months before the draft, so I couldn't have been happier. I do remember lot of people wanted to go edge rusher (Noah Spence), and try for Nick Martin in the 2nd or 3rd. Welp, Texans took Nick Martin, and he's out for the year now.

you seem to be wrong a lot............................................:peek: kidding

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't hear that.  NFL network said it was the right pick.  

In fact before the pick came in they said. . . something like "Colts are on the clock. . . Ryan Kelly guys?"  And the other two guys both said "Ryan Kelly".

Before the draft I had said that I am hearing he's a ten year starter and Pro Bowler within three years.  I thus said that given the Colt's need at center, if those accolades are true, you absolutely take him and you don't worry about the naysayers that said taking a C at the Colts pick was too high to do so.  I say you take a 10 year starting pro bowl player, no matter where you are selecting.  Hope he lives up to the accolades and early reports. :)

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I didn't hear that.  NFL network said it was the right pick.  

In fact before the pick came in they said. . . something like "Colts are on the clock. . . Ryan Kelly guys?"  And the other two guys both said "Ryan Kelly".

I really wasn't referring to the media. It was right here in this forum that so many said no way a center is worth a 1st round pick. I understood why so many wanted a pass rusher but my opinion was a center was more important than a pass rusher at the time. Some even wanted to trade for an ex first rounder center rather than using the rookie wage cap to the teams advantage.

Oh well. we all cant be right 100% of the time. So far it looks as if Kelly might have been the right pick, only time will tell. If Luck has a great year Kelly is just one of the pieces that was needed. The coaching changes might turn out to be just as big a move than picking Kelly?

I really wasn't referring to the media. It was right here in this forum that so many said no way a center is worth a 1st round pick. I understood why so many wanted a pass rusher but my opinion was a center was more important than a pass rusher at the time. Some even wanted to trade for an ex first rounder center rather than using the rookie wage cap to the teams advantage.

Oh well. we all cant be right 100% of the time. So far it looks as if Kelly might have been the right pick, only time will tell. If Luck has a great year Kelly is just one of the pieces that was needed. The coaching changes might turn out to be just as big a move than picking Kelly?

I think I would have preferred a pass rusher but in all honesty I wasn't terribly disappointed in the pick.  I mean after all the years of paying very little attention to the OL, I was glad to see that we finally spent a premium pick on protecting Luck.  

My view was we could still get Nick Martin in the 2nd round.  I don't know how he's doing however.

But I can see people preferring to get pass rush in the first.  But I don't think one could be terribly disappointed by OL in the first.  

And I think if you find a good enough prospect, C is worth it in the first as are guards.  It's not a premium position that is pushed up beyond what it's talent delivers.  So it's not like QB or Offensive tackle, which tends to get pushed up in the draft.  But to me it's not a low importance position like RB or for an even bigger example punter or kicker.  It's a medium priority position and a good enough prospect in the first round is worth it if it's a position of need.  

2 hours ago, YourNextGM said:

It funny how the 1st thing you notice in gms now is there really isnt a push in the middle.  Its like a real oline now.  Hope the kid stays healthy. 

That pocket was looking awfully sweet -- not like the last few years. Luck had lots of room to step up into it, and more time to throw. Having a solid guy at center makes the whole line work better by not having to double as much to help out a weak center. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may want to take a look at this forum draft contest (before the draft) to see who predicted Kelly:

There were plenty of us that figured Kelly would be one of the players chosen for round 1. I can only go based on what I see here, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You and me both. I just got back from Argentina a day before the draft and was advocating taking him. I was very very happy and defending the pick on this forum. How well he's doing just makes me happier 

8 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

You and me both. I just got back from Argentina a day before the draft and was advocating taking him. I was very very happy and defending the pick on this forum. How well he's doing just makes me happier 

8 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Was the bit about Argentina a factor in you wanting us to take Kelly?

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

You may want to take a look at this forum draft contest (before the draft) to see who predicted Kelly:

There were plenty of us that figured Kelly would be one of the players chosen for round 1. I can only go based on what I see here, unfortunately.

Good job in finding that. Even though Kelly was mentioned there were few who predicted a #1 spot. I appreciate you finding this but predicting and wanting was two different things at the time.

I did get slammed pretty hard by some for saying a center was our #1 need. But it's all good. We all have different opinions.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Only two players I really liked more than him at that spot -- Nkemdiche and Spence, and both of them have off field concerns. I probably liked Shaq Lawson, too, but he's probably damaged goods.

My top 2 guys going into the Draft that I wanted was Kelly and Floyd. Glad we drafted Kelly eventhough we do need more Pass Rushers. Protecting Andrew this season is more important actually anyway after the way he was injured last season. + Floyd went 9th to Chicago so he wasn't even there when we picked.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I loved this pick when it happened in the draft & I still do. But, you're right though CC1, if I am quick to question Ryan Grigson's decision making in other draft cycles, I must praise him for his Kelly choice that exceeded my expectations as well. Fair is fair.