Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

Off topic but Tom Brady is kind of dull as an announcer.

I still think its interesting to hear from him and his comments hold weight for sure but there isnt much excitement in him for a color commentary guy.

Putting this here because im watching this after the colts game, so therefore its post game lol

I was fully invested, giving it my all, cheering on AR to step up his game, make some progress, and embrace the journey. However, watching him remove himself from the game for the second time in his brief career, it raises doubts about his resilience. I can't recall any starting QB pulling a move like this, leaving in the middle of a key play. I'm starting to give up on the belief that he can lead the team.

Just now, Knuckles79 said:

I was fully invested, giving it my all, cheering on AR to step up his game, make some progress, and embrace the journey. However, watching him remove himself from the game for the second time in his brief career, it raises doubts about his resilience. I can't recall any starting QB pulling a move like this, leaving in the middle of a key play. I'm starting to give up on the belief that he can lead the team.

and on a 3rd and goal, no less

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When we use AR legs it’s helps Taylor and opens up the WR. Steichen is such a joke.

your golden child can't use his legs because he is made of glass. Don't you get that?  He can't use his brain to stay healthy either. Ask yourself, Why did he only play in 13 games?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, King Colt said:

First AR looked awful in every aspect.'

Their first third down conversion came at 9:55 in the fourth quarter.

Kelly was called three times for motion.

They really blew this game especially AR's INT at the end of the first half resulting in a Texans TD.

Now their next few games will all be bad news. But the 1-6 Browns beat the Ravens so anything is possible!!

Not Kelly… Q

46 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m starting to lose faith in Shane.  He was grossly out coached again.  

Agreed.  I think Shane has been regressing in terms of coaching. That last series before the half was inexcusable. Utterly ridiculous.

GOOD

Josh Downs:  he is the ONLY receiver that showed up today.  Absolute dog.  

JT:  Criminal he only has 20 carries but he crossed the 100yd mark.  

Defensive Line:  they were getting after it!  Only 2 sacks but saw a good amount of hurries, pressures, and hits.  

MEH

Matt Gay:  no misses on the day, but didn’t hit any long field goals.  Sorry, can’t say one of the highest paid kickers in the league has a good game because he didn’t miss.  And one of them he barely made it.

Defense:  was a solid game.  Much better against the run, Texans averaged 4.1yds on the ground.  Solid against the pass, not great, not bad, just solid.  We made Stroud work today.  Meh, because there were some missed tackles, lax and missed coverages, but overall solid game.

BAD

Shane Steichen:  FRANK REICH 2.0!  That first half playcalling was absolutely the worst I’ve seen from him since he’s been here.  Seemed like every drive we faced a third and long.  Like I get it, AR isn’t the best at making the short to medium throws, but MAKE HIM DO IT!  That’s the ENTIRE point of this season.  Is to develop him, improve on his weaknesses.  How can he improve on something if he doesn’t do it?!  He improved in the second half but then on a couple drives he went right back to * playcalling.  Like the play where AR got hurt, why call a pass on a 2nd and long to goal line situation?  Yeah, Shane needs to figure it out because I am no longer a supporter of him.  And as I said before, anytime AR throws more than 25 times, something is WRONG!  He threw the ball 32 times today smh.

AR:  he made MULTIPLE bad decisions today.  I can live with missing targets, but the bad decisions and turnovers I can not.  The end of the half INT, not getting out of bounds on the last drive.  I know that Shane is not putting AR in the best situations but AR has to also make the right decisions.  I know AR is going to get crapped on but I’d still start him because I think the bigger problem is Shane’s playcalling vs ARs limitations.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends:  anyone not named downs should be running routes all day all night for this entire week.  They did AR ZERO favors today.  MPJ, $22.5mill/yr, WR1, 1 catch, 6 targets, 16 yds lol.  It seemed like every throw the cornerback was BLANKETED on our receivers and tight ends.  Speaking of tight ends, ONE catch from the ENTIRE group.  Yeah, can we trade for Njoku or Andrews if they’re available…PLEASE.  I could give a CRAP about blocking tight ends if we’re only going to hand the ball off 20 times.

OL:  our OL got WHOOPED today.  

I missed the entire game short of a few highlights. Richardson…idk man. I know he’s inexperienced, but at this point nearly any person could come in and just chuck the ball to receivers and hope they can get open. 

It’s getting difficult to deal with this % consistently and nothing changing. 

2 minutes ago, AKB said:

Flacco deserves to be the starter. 

that's just simple. 

people think you have to only play to develop .....  jordan love looks horrible his first couple starts then they sat him a couple of years and he looks good now .    let him sit in the QB meetings watch tape and practice his throws nonstop until he is ready .  once he can get to a semi decent QB let him play

• Thanks 1

Just now, AKB said:

Flacco deserves to be the starter. 

that's just simple. 

Here's the dilemma: Flacco is the better QB now, but he's not the long term answer at the QB position. We don't know if AR is either, but he's SUPPOSED to be, so you gotta let him play.

From Ballard to Steichen, they're all invested in making AR into a franchise QB. They have a tough task ahead of them.

Oh, and as his coach, you can't let him run because he's going to get injured. And you can't call short passes because of his inaccuracy. So whatever you do, you're going to look really bad as a coach. 

Just now, Flash7 said:

Here's the dilemma: Flacco is the better QB now, but he's not the long term answer at the QB position. We don't know if AR is either, but he's SUPPOSED to be, so you gotta let him play.

From Ballard to Steichen, they're all invested in making AR into a franchise QB. They have a tough task ahead of them.

Oh, and as his coach, you can't let him run because he's going to get injured. And you can't call short passes because of his inaccuracy. So whatever you do, you're going to look really bad as a coach. 

As a colts fan, I'd love for him to be our answer. But he isn't now, and the chances he will be are probably somewhere around his average completion percentage, and that's being generous. 

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

As a colts fan, I'd love for him to be our answer. But he isn't now, and the chances he will be are probably somewhere around his average completion percentage, and that's being generous. 

I fully agree with you. In fact, my saying about AR is that he's far ore Josh Rosen than he is Josh Allen. He's most likely a top pick that's going to bust.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

people think you have to only play to develop

Lots of young QBs have sat until they were ready over the years.  This has been done so many times it feels redundant to even list them

But the colts draft one of the biggest first round projects ever and act like he has to start right away and keep on playing when hes putting up some of the worst accuracy numbers ever and turning it over

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AKB said:

yeah, probably. and if he hadn't waited so long to address QB maybe he wouldn't have felt like his hand was forced on a guy with 10 starts or whatever it was. 

Yes, the QB situation with Richardson is 100% on Ballard.  He had every opportunity to go multiple different directions since Luck retired and either got sold a lemon (Matt Ryan), misevaluated what a guy was brought here to do (Carson Wentz and Phillip Rivers) or flat overrated someone on his own roster (Jacoby Brissett). 

Its starting to look like maybe one of top reasons he went with a project like AR is it gives him a built-in excuse for fans, media, etc to "look past" things like wins and losses, thus giving him more unwarranted job security.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen should have been in AR ear. Take a knee. It was a dumb decision when you have ball back to start second.

Good grief. Maybe Steichen should have checked in and played QB for AR too. It was a horrible decision to throw that ball and he stared the WR down — it’s OK to blame AR. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was 23 seconds left. No one was going to do anything.  

There were 39 seconds left in the game when the colts ran the 3rd down play from their own 12 yard line. If they take a knee , Houston calls TO with at least 34 seconds left. Say the punt takes 8 seconds and nets 45 yards. Houston , who has a kicker that is accurate from over 50 would have 2 time outs and around 26 seconds . Ball would be around the Houston 45. Plenty of time to get into FG range for the hottest kicker in football. 

Just now, Flash7 said:

I fully agree with you. In fact, my saying about AR is that he's far ore Josh Rosen than he is Josh Allen. He's most likely a top pick that's going to bust.

what's scary is that he basically did have a red-shirt year, and he doesn't seem to be improved football IQ wise. 

• Like 2

Just now, SR711 said:

Yes, the QB situation with Richardson is 100% on Ballard.  He had every opportunity to go multiple different directions since Luck retired and either got sold a lemon (Matt Ryan), misevaluated what a guy was brought here to do (Carson Wentz and Phillip Rivers) or flat overrated someone on his own roster (Jacoby Brissett). 

Its starting to look like maybe one of top reasons he went with a project like AR is it gives him a built-in excuse for fans, media, etc to "look past" things like wins and losses, thus giving him more unwarranted job security.  

i've said the same thing. i also think that's why he waits a year past a coach's expiry because it gives him someone to fire.

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

what's scary is that he basically did have a red-shirt year, and he doesn't seem to be improved football IQ wise. 

Yup. He was drafted for his size, speed, and strong arm. All physical traits, but the problem is that he's also fragile, so you can't unleash his physical traits to their fullest. What you're left with is an extremely gifted athlete, but a horrible QB.

Just now, Indeee said:

There really isn't any reason to jump all over AR's performance today or his progression so far. This is the first game in the this 5 game terrible stretch. Save some for the remaining 4... :lol:

now we get to watch AR go 1-17 against the vikings defense on prime time .   Super embarrassing

6 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

Yeah, I don't get the fans harping on this singular play that he sat out. It was 3rd and 20 something and the play call was a planned handoff so Steichen must have taught differently about this 'key play'. I think people who want Flacco to start over him are just latching onto a nothingburger here. There's plenty of of valid reason that one would want Flacco to start, but AR being a quitter isn't one.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

There were 39 seconds left in the game when the colts ran the 3rd down play from their own 12 yard line. If they take a knee , Houston calls TO with at least 34 seconds left. Say the punt takes 8 seconds and nets 45 yards. Houston , who has a kicker that is accurate from over 50 would have 2 time outs and around 26 seconds . Ball would be around the Houston 45. Plenty of time to get into FG range for the hottest kicker in football. 

Basic coaching. You don’t throw the ball with at your pen five yard line with little time left. Especially when you get the ball back in second.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Yup. He was drafted for his size, speed, and strong arm. All physical traits, but the problem is that he's also fragile, so you can't unleash his physical traits to their fullest. What you're left with is an extremely gifted athlete, but a horrible QB.

I say run him. fully exploit his physical gifts, and if he breaks down so be it. 

• Like 1

Just now, colts89 said:

Yeah, I don't get the fans harping on this singular play that he sat out. It was 3rd and 20 something and the play call was a planned handoff so Steichen must have taught differently about this 'key play'. I think people who want Flacco to start over him are just latching onto a nothingburger here. There's plenty of of valid reason that one would want Flacco to start, but AR being a quitter isn't one.

If the next play was a simple hand-off, then AR could have done that.

I think AR taking himself out of the game left Steichen little choice in what plays he could call with a cold back-up QB coming into the game because the starting QB was winded.

Just now, AKB said:

I say run him. fully exploit his physical gifts, and if he breaks down so be it. 

This is one thing I agree with. When we let him be himself the WR got more open and the run game by the other backs improved.

Just now, Flash7 said:

If the next play was a simple hand-off, then AR could have done that.

I think AR taking himself out of the game left Steichen little choice in what plays he could call with a cold back-up QB coming into the game because the starting QB was winded.

They weren’t throwing it anyway 

33 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Without even reading any of these comments I’ll be taking a break from the forum. Everybody needs to take a deep breath and calm down. I honestly can’t believe some of the stuff I read on here anymore. 

some of us cannot believe the dumpster fire that management has produced and put on the field.

Plenty of blame to go around here including 2 bad penalties  by Pittman that turned 2 possiblle TD's into FGs. Another by Joesph that cost us 12 yards of field position on that last drive. Really an inexcusable block in the back . Horrible play calling and we need a better MLB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AKB said:

I can see your point, but I honestly think the message coming from the top is that they need to protect AR and limit him running. 

I also think if they decide to make him into a true dual threat QB, it'll last for just one game.

I'll leave this here.  https://www.aol.com/florida-qb-anthony-richardson-injured-213958383.html

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you not understand you don’t take a QB and try to make him a different player. Steichen is making him something he isn’t.

Yeah, he’s trying to make him an NFL QB.

• Like 1