Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts drafted 12 players last year, 9 this year.  I think getting 21 players in two drafts created a bit of a log jam.  It’s like having three drafts in two years.  So I think some of this was expected internally.   

The fans might be surprised, I just don’t think the Colts are. 

I hear you, my friend.  When you take a lot of shots at the wall, expect a lot of misses.  Or, at least, a log jam of players for a limited number of positions.

For what it's worth, here's the scorecard on the past three drafts.  Not saying it's good or bad.  It's just the scorecard.

10 of the 29 players not with the team (currently, pending practice squad placements)

1/15 DE Laiatu Latu - Future starter.  The future is now.

2/52 WR Adonai Mitchell - A load of talent.  Gonna challenge for a starting job very soon.

3/79 OL Matt Goncalves - Still some work to do, but shows a lot of promise.

4/117 OL Tanor Bortolini - Ditto, same as above.

5/142 WR Anthony Gould - Small and twitchy.  Punt returner, and probably more.

5/151 S/LB Jaylon Carlies - Show some talent at multiple positions.

5/164 DB Jaylin Simpson - didn't make squad

6/201 DB Micah Abraham - didn't make squad

7/234 DT Jonah Laulu - didn't make squad

1/4 QB Anthony Richardson - Starter day one.  Uber-athletic.  Needs to stay healthy.

2/44 DB JuJu Brents - Starter, but still needs to grow.  And stay healthy.

3/79 WR Josh Downs - Incredible find.  Starting slot.  Possible T.Y. 2.0.

4/106 OL Blake Freeland - Good enough to play when required.  Needs to take the next step.

4/110 DL Adetomiwa Adebawore - Subpar rookie season.  Looks better for round two.

5/138 DB Darius Rush - didn't make squad.  2 more teams.

5/158 DB Daniel Scott - IR two straight years without ever seeing the field.

5/162 TE Will Mallory - Non starter in a crowded TE room.

5/176 RB Evan Hull - Injured after 1 play in 2023.  Waived 2024.

6/211 DL Titus Leo - IR in 2023.  Waived 2024.

7/221 DB Jaylon Jones - "Starter" in 2024, but barely.

7/236 OL Jake Witt - IR in 2023.  Waived 2024.

2/53 WR Alec Pierce - Starter.

3/73 TE Jelani Woods - 2022 made team.  2023 IR.  2024 IR.

3/77 OL Bernhard Raimann - Starter.

3/96 DB Nick Cross - Starter.

5/159 DL Eric Johnson - Backup 2022 and 2023.  Waived 2024.

6/192 TE Andrew Ogletree - Backup 2022.  Off field issue 2023.  In TE room 2024.

6/216 DL Curtis Brooks - Waived 2022.  Practice Squad.  Titans and Commanders.

7/239 DB Rodney Thomas II - Starter 2023.  Lost starting job but still on team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I hear you, my friend.  When you take a lot of shots at the wall, expect a lot of misses.  Or, at least, a log jam of players for a limited number of positions.

For what it's worth, here's the scorecard on the past three drafts.  Not saying it's good or bad.  It's just the scorecard.

10 of the 29 players not with the team (currently, pending practice squad placements)

2/52 WR Adonai Mitchell - A load of talent.  Gonna challenge for a starting job very soon.

1/4 QB Anthony Richardson - Starter day one.  Uber-athletic.  Needs to stay healthy.

4/106 OL Blake Freeland - Good enough to play when required.  Needs to take the next step.

4/110 DL Adetomiwa Adebawore - Subpar rookie season.  Looks better for round two.

6/192 TE Andrew Ogletree - Backup 2022.  Off field issue 2023.  In TE room 2024.

that's really not bad for retention, but we've also seen him keep players past their expiration date. so how do we evaluate this 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

that's really not bad for retention, but we've also seen him keep players past their expiration date. so how do we evaluate this 

shouldnt we also include 21 in this batch?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts drafted 12 players last year, 9 this year.  I think getting 21 players in two drafts created a bit of a log jam.  It’s like having three drafts in two years.  So I think some of this was expected internally.   

The fans might be surprised, I just don’t think the Colts are. 

Exactly. Not like we're cutting high picks either. Not sure what all the hand wringing is about really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I actually think Baker was decent in preseason, and while I'm not a big fan of his, I'm not totally surprised he's still here. For now... I also think he's a boundary corner, and Abraham is probably a nickel, so not a direct competitor. There's also special teams to consider.

But I'm always curious about the late round draft picks. We waived the last three picks, out of eight total. There's a good chance they get through waivers.

When Gus likes a player he really likes a player, no matter how trash they have actually been in the league. We saw him start Brandon freaking Facyson over Isaiah Rodgers for almost a full season. I think he likes Baker in a similar manner. Except he's even worse than Facyson.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Let's all remember this day. Phoggythoughts is not a source of good info. 

Apologies from me for posting that one. Should not have posted someone without a track record of actually having sourced information.

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

When Gus likes a player he really likes a player, no matter how trash they have actually been in the league. We saw him start Brandon freaking Facyson over Isaiah Rodgers for almost a full season. I think he likes Baker in a similar manner. Except he's even worse than Facyson.

For his system I just think he likes his corners tall on the outside like we have it now and like  Faycson was. Rogers is small and Kenny Moore was the starting nickel. It felt to me like he didn't quite know what to do with Rogers since he couldn't use him at Nickel.

• Like 1

Man I hope Evan Hull clears waivers. I don't like just having Goodson and Sermon behind Taylor. I think Hull should've gotten one of those spots. If not then hopefully we can get Scott 

• Like 1

Interesting cuts.

Honestly I dont like a few of these moves.

Bean is much better than Sam. And I get Sams value, but I think there is a better chance of retaining him on the practice squad than Bean. I just dont see an NFL QB when I watch Ehlinger.

I dont like cutting Abraham, at all. He just seems to be a solid backup and eventual replacement for Kenny.

I dont like cutting Hull either. He has a chance to be a good well rounded RB. But of the 3, this one I can live with because I thought Goodson looked really good too and he has more burst.

Why so many OL? 

Do we need 10 DL?

I wouldve probably cut Bryan, Tucker and Ehlinger and kept Hull, Abraham and Bean. 

Other than that, I am fine with everything else.

• Like 2

https://www.colts.com/news/initial-53-man-roster-cuts-release-waived-position-roster-moves

Defensive backs on the 2023 roster: 

Cornerbacks: Darrell Baker Jr., JuJu Brents, Tony Brown, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Kenny Moore II

Safeties: Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Trevor Denbow, Rodney Thomas II

Defensive backs on the 2024 roster:

Cornerbacks: Darrell Baker Jr., JuJu Brents, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Kenny Moore II

Safeties: Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Trevor Denbow, Rodney Thomas II

#progress #IfItAintBroke :dunno:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I remember Ballard saying something a few years back about when the cuts are tough you know you have talent and depth....No real tough choices this year, yeah maybe "like to have kept this guy over that, thats normal" but no Oh geez didnt see that coming someone will snatch that dude up type cuts...... I would have to say right now I am not bullish on this team, but Ill hold on to a small amount of optimism....seems like Ballard is saying all we needed to be a SB team last year was AR.......hope he was right, but I dont see it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

I remember Ballard saying something a few years back about when the cuts are tough you know you have talent and depth....No real tough choices this year, yeah maybe "like to have kept this guy over that, thats normal" but no Oh geez didnt see that coming someone will snatch that dude up type cuts...... I would have to say right now I am not bullish on this team, but Ill hold on to a small amount of optimism....seems like Ballard is saying all we needed to be a SB team last year was AR.......hope he was right, but I dont see it.

"Hope is a dangerous thing."  -- Red, Shawshank Prison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

https://www.colts.com/news/initial-53-man-roster-cuts-release-waived-position-roster-moves

Cornerbacks: Darrell Baker Jr., JuJu Brents, Tony Brown, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Kenny Moore II

Cornerbacks: Darrell Baker Jr., JuJu Brents, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Kenny Moore II

It's interesting. From Ballard's stated offseason personnel needs, they got more explosive but didn't add any fuel to the CB position so far. Hopefully, we'll see a signing in the next day or two.

When asked about the Colts needs for this team entering 2024, the GM pointed to being more explosive offensively, and limiting such plays defensively. And Ballard thinks the Colts will have some opportunities to add players helping in those areas in free agency and/or the draft. Outside of this phrase, the only other real “need” talk from Thursday was Ballard saying he wanted to “add fuel” to the cornerback position, and acknowledged the free safety position (where Rodney Thomas II and Nick Cross played) needs more consistency. On the explosive front, more playing time from Anthony Richardson should help in that area, too.

https://1075thefan.com/199854/chris-ballard-year-end-press-conference-recap/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stitches said:

This sums everything up in a nutshell. For everyone saying that we'll pick up some players today on waivers, we have the 15th pick on every player. We probably aren't getting any of the top CBs or Ss that hit waivers that are young. At best, we may get a veteran one-year stopgap. I'd be shocked if Kennan Issac or Miles Battle even makes it to 15. 

I'd personally like to get Johnathan Abram. He could start immediately and is only 27.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Perhaps your a little thick?

Rookies WR Mitchell and Gould

Pinter back healthy and playing well and Rookie Bartolini  no more  C French

Rookie Gonclaves G Rucker look promising  could be starting next season

Oh yes Latu

ANYONE should know of the jump expected from year one and two

Brents, Jones, Baker they are not the same because of experience 

And you have a new starting S in Cross. 

At DT Adewhatever looks good and added Davis.

The 2nd year in Steichen's system, and more experienced defense.

It's a new year, a different team with more talent and experience. And yes better Quarterbacking to be expected.

Agreed on all points except the last point.  Better Quarterbacking to be expected?  I am not so certain of that.  I am expecting more explosive Quarterbacking to be sure- and we saw what that could look like in AR's limited game action last year- but I seriously have my doubts that Anthony will look anything close to as efficient as Minshew was.  I also think that if we finished 9-8 this year and were one play away from a playoff spot-that our whole fanbase would look at that as a successful season so long as AR played in all (or almost all) of the games.  9-8 for Minshew wasn't good enough and we let him walk (to another team to become their starter btw, albeit if AR wasn't around I am guessing Minshew would have been retained) and yet 9-8 for the 24' Colts I think would be more than acceptable and something we could build from.  Crazy how perspective changes when you consider the future in what you are doing. 
I just think that Anthony needs to hit the layups this year and do it often.  Something Wentz couldn't do and also the only thing Minshew could do.  A healthy balance between who he can be and who he needs to be today, to be productive and grow and most importantly stay on the field. He really needs to work on calming down his footwork and solidify his platform. If working with Tom House hasn't improved it by now I would be a bit worried but the kid is dynamic and can't be caged too much. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKB said:

That's a good question.  The primary example for me is Adam Vinatieri.  We continued to keep "the best kicker in NFL history" long beyond his due by date.  We kept him until his lack of performance was actually hurting the team.  Should have sat him down and said, "It's time.  We don't want to cut you.  We want you to retire.  But if you don't, we're gonna have to."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crunked said:

Think he felt we needed more WR firepower and we got that, also needed JT healthy all season with his all burst and we may or may not get that (Moss played well in spurts, teams didnt game plan to stop him and think our Elite O Line made his numbers look better, we shall see how he performs as the current starter in Cinn).   Think he is gambling on our young DB's growing up and not blowing assignments (Blown assignments lead to more big plays then actual lack of talent).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

This sums everything up in a nutshell. For everyone saying that we'll pick up some players today on waivers, we have the 15th pick on every player. We probably aren't getting any of the top CBs or Ss that hit waivers that are young. At best, we may get a veteran one-year stopgap. I'd be shocked if Kennan Issac or Miles Battle even makes it to 15. 

I'd personally like to get Johnathan Abram. He could start immediately and is only 27.

Jonathan Abram is NOT good. All our safeties are better than him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AKB said:

shouldnt we also include 21 in this batch?

Sure, if you want to keep going.  Obviously, the further we go back, the more players drop off the list.

1/21 DL Kwity Paye - Starter from day one.  Good but not great.

2/54 DL Dayo Odeyingbo - Injured when drafted.  First year on injury list.  Primary rotational backup.

4/127 TE Kylen Granson - Periodic starter in a crowded TE room.

5/165 DB Shawn Davis - Waived in 2021 and sent to practice squad.  Green bay practice squad and injured.

6/218 QB Sam Ehlinger - Career 3rd stringer.

7/229 WR Mike Strachan - Intriguing prospect.  Often injured, and released.

7/248 OL Will Fries - Took time to develop.  Current starter.

2/34 WR Michael Pittman - Starter WR1 (Camaro style WR, not Porche)

2/41 RB Johnathan Taylor - Starter.  Led NFL in rushing in 2021.

3/85 DB Julian Blackmon - Starter.

4/122 QB Jacob Eason - Strong arm but ineffective.  Released.

5/149 OL Danny Pinter - Took time to develop.  Primary backup.

6/193 DL Robert Windsor - Waived to practice squad.  IR 2021.  Retired 2022.

6/211 DB Isaiah Rodgers - Became starter.  Bet on games.  Released.

6/212 WR Dezmon Patmon - Backup.  Out of football 2022.

6/213 LB Jordan Glasgow - Backup.  out of football 2021.

34 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Sure, if you want to keep going.  Obviously, the further we go back, the more players drop off the list.

1/21 DL Kwity Paye - Starter from day one.  Good but not great.

2/54 DL Dayo Odeyingbo - Injured when drafted.  First year on injury list.  Primary rotational backup.

4/127 TE Kylen Granson - Periodic starter in a crowded TE room.

5/165 DB Shawn Davis - Waived in 2021 and sent to practice squad.  Green bay practice squad and injured.

6/218 QB Sam Ehlinger - Career 3rd stringer.

7/229 WR Mike Strachan - Intriguing prospect.  Often injured, and released.

7/248 OL Will Fries - Took time to develop.  Current starter.

2/34 WR Michael Pittman - Starter WR1 (Camaro style WR, not Porche)

2/41 RB Johnathan Taylor - Starter.  Led NFL in rushing in 2021.

3/85 DB Julian Blackmon - Starter.

4/122 QB Jacob Eason - Strong arm but ineffective.  Released.

5/149 OL Danny Pinter - Took time to develop.  Primary backup.

6/193 DL Robert Windsor - Waived to practice squad.  IR 2021.  Retired 2022.

6/211 DB Isaiah Rodgers - Became starter.  Bet on games.  Released.

6/212 WR Dezmon Patmon - Backup.  Out of football 2022.

6/213 LB Jordan Glasgow - Backup.  out of football 2021.

6 starters out of one draft is pretty good IMHO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Apologies from me for posting that one. Should not have posted someone without a track record of actually having sourced information.

It’s all good at least you aren’t still defending it to the death after it was proven false because you can’t be wrong like some have.  This time of year we are looking for any info we can get and when we are excited we share it.  Nothing wrong with that as long as everyone remembers not all twitter accounts are created equally.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Crunked said:

I don’t know if he saying that because he did keep six of the nine rookies they drafted including the top six picks.  Late round draft picks getting released is the norm on deep teams.  Also, unless you just find a hidden gem, which is very rare in the late rounds, those aren’t the guys who are going to push you over the top to a Super Bowl team.  That’s guy likes Latu and Mitchell who he not only kept but will probably both be starters.  

I do think he’s saying they were a legit franchise QB away from being a playoff team and maybe division champions and since they were in position to do that last year with a backup until the last game of the season that’s legit view point.  Once you get to the playoffs learning to win those types of games is a very different beast.  Right now I think he’s saying last year’s team is good enough to get the Colts to the dance with a legit franchise QB which I think is a fair opinion to have.

• Like 1

The more u look into the Woods situation, the more it seems like he won’t be here next year. You get two people to put on IR designated to return, and while it makes complete since why they’d want Ebukam back possibly, it says a lot that they put a special teams LB in McGrone in the other spot as opposed to Woods.

• Like 2

FYI, everyone, NFL teams have until noon today to make waiver claims.  Last year we made three - Land, Sills, and Ryan Hayes.  We had an official announcement from Colts.com at 2:22 on Wednesday last year.  I can only imagine that it was out on the rumor mill before that.  So, we’ll find out who, if anyone, we pick up at about 2pm or so…

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Man I hope Evan Hull clears waivers. I don't like just having Goodson and Sermon behind Taylor. I think Hull should've gotten one of those spots. If not then hopefully we can get Scott 

The biggest surprise to me this year. Figured Hull was a lock.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Goodson over Hull I'm not surprised by. Goodson outplayed Hull in preseason imo. He seemed WAY more explosive.

Ehlinger over Bean I don't really understand. Sam is what he is at this point, theres no real upside with him given his arm strength. Personally, I feel like it be better to keep Bean, as you can still run alot of the college style plays with QB designed runs, RPOs and option plays, without him having to throw the ball down the field all that much, but still sustain drives.

I definitely expect us to make ATLEAST 1 CB claim and 1 Safety claim, but I don't quite understand keeping 10 OL and 10 DL, while only keeping 5 CB off the bat. Whos to say the DBs we want to claim, even make it to us, and the guys we waived, get claimed. What then? We really roll into the season with 5 CBs? Not likely of course, but seems unnecessarily reckless.

Maybe keeping this many OL is good for trading material?  Not sure.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Letting Bean and Hull go was a mistake imo. I hope they both make it to our practice squad. I wouldnt be surprised if a team snags bean. 

I think they are banking on getting at least one of or both Hull and Scott. 

Among the defensive players and kicker that will be available (according to this Twitter/X post) are:

CB Desmond King

CB Caleb Farley

CB Bobby McCain

CB Darnay Holmes

CB CJ Henderson

CB Keenan Isaac

CB Tre Flowers

CB Rock Ya-Sin

CB Daequan Hardy

S Lewis Cine

S Adrian Amos

S Kareem Jackson

S Tracy Walker

S Johnathan Abram

S Terrell Edmunds

K Anders Carlson

K Chad Ryland

K Austin Seibert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Among the defensive players and kicker that will be available (according to this Twitter/X post) are:

CB Desmond King

CB Caleb Farley

CB Bobby McCain

CB Darnay Holmes

CB CJ Henderson

CB Keenan Isaac

CB Tre Flowers

CB Rock Ya-Sin

CB Daequan Hardy

S Lewis Cine

S Adrian Amos

S Kareem Jackson

S Tracy Walker

S Johnathan Abram

S Terrell Edmunds

K Anders Carlson

K Chad Ryland

K Austin Seibert

Back in the day several of those guys, including Rock, could start.  Not sure about today. (Health wise)

Regarding our secondary, it is almost seems like that Ballard has been hearing the outside noise and is trying to prove a point. Meaning, watch the guys I drafted will be good. I hope he is right.

Regarding Sam making the team, I knew that would happen. I called that a week ago. It really isn't because he is good, he has just been here for a few years, knows the system, and is a great locker-room guy. Ballard loves him as our 3rd stringer.

14 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I don't know if it's bad, but it's not good.

Far too early to tell, but 2024 at least looks better than the previous two years. 

But out of the 19 players drafted between 2022 and 2023 (removing AR since he could make or break it all), that does not seem like an impressive list.

And Ballard builds his roster through the draft. So that should be at least a little concerning regarding the future of this team and having sustained success. Some/many of these players are supposed to make up the core of the team over the next 5+ years.

And much of the current core of this team is nearing 30, many of whom came into the league in 2018 (or earlier), so this needs to happen sooner than later.