Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Okay but… what in Jones wasn’t interested in Indy? This isn’t madden where you can just throw money at an FA and they’ll sign with the highest bidder. There’s other factors often overlooked. We just aren’t privy to all information and thus, people just assume we ignored this player or that one

Why are you being so combative ? 

Good question!

2 minutes ago, Ernest Brunelli said:

The big 3 linemen should be in CBs office restructuring contracts with Blackman and Moore waiting outside The rest of the NFL is always doing it. We can get a great pickup if we restructure contracts

I believe I saw that Buckner, Nelson, Kelly, & Smith can all restructure/extend to save us $15-$20 million. I expect one or two will get done in the next week 

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Let’s see what happens with Rigoberto, Moore and Blackmon. 2 out of 3 of those probably leave us.

Who is the Brock Purdy of this year’s QB draft?  I’m willing to wait till the 7th round to fill our back up QB need!

Moore is the one I am actually worried about.  I think his signing or going elsewhere could be holding up any future additions to our secondary.  It’s like waiting for one domino to fall to trigger the others.  If he signs elsewhere it could cause a change in FA direction due to his leaving.  If he stays then you proceed with plan A.  I can’t believe Rigo won’t be back.  Blackmon is 50/50 for me.  

10 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

There are honestly some good FA’s out there.

My top realistic targets:

Grab one of each the next couple of days (including our own (Blackmon, Kenny)

Safety:

CGJ

• Julian Blackmon

• Justin Simmons

Edge:
• Josh Uche

• Chase Young

CB:

• Kendall Fuller

• Kenny Moore

• trade for veteran (Sneed, etc)

WR (if we target another one):

• Curtis Samuel

• Marquise Brown (would be the perfect fit for ARICH)

• Tyler Boyd

Chauncey Gardner Johnson - he must a good luck charm or something, when he was with the Eagles for 1 year, they made the SB; and when he was with the Lions, they made the NFCCG; and maybe we sign him and win the division this year. :) 

• Like 1

Something I quite don't understand . Looking at these signings , it appears the "average " contract has gone up more than the 13% increase in this year's  salary cap. Once again , Ballard looks to be shut out on the top free agents . Can't say as I blame him. 

11 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Or like a guy in the draft this year as a backup. We’ll see. 

Shocked we didn’t shell out 4 million per for Moss

We offered him $4.8 and he turned it down. The reason couldn't be more obvious. Taylor will totally dominate the snaps. Shocking!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

Grigson’s “Dream Team” free agency frenzy was all I needed to see back in the day. It didn’t work out too well. Guess I spent too much time in the Polian era and I’m okay with our approach. 

Meat and Potatoes comes to mind as a waste when I was excited for nothing.  Lamar Landry big money and not a difference maker.

21 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

There are honestly some good FA’s out there.

My top realistic targets:

Grab one of each the next couple of days (including our own (Blackmon, Kenny)

Safety:

• CGJ

• Julian Blackmon

• Justin Simmons

Edge:
• Josh Uche

• Chase Young

CB:

• Kendall Fuller

• Kenny Moore

• trade for veteran (Sneed, etc)

WR (if we target another one):

• Curtis Samuel

• Marquise Brown (would be the perfect fit for ARICH)

• Tyler Boyd

No to the free agent wrs the draft is perfect for that. I thought Simmons signed with steelers

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We offered him $4.8 and he turned it down. The reason couldn't be more obvious. Taylor will totally dominate the snaps. Shocking!

Do you have a link or tweet to this? I never saw this.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

AR is the key to the kingdom of winning the division title. It is ALL IN on AR, for Ballard this year. He feels that we were close enough to the division title that some upgrades weren't needed? Not sure what the thinking was.

I don't think that's a conclusion that should be reached after 1 day of free agency where we re-signed 2 crucial FAs and extended another one. If we get to OTAs and still haven't made meaningful moves to upgrade the roster, I'll concede that that was Ballard's view. I think it's way too soon for that yet though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Breaking news. Top 5 RB in league gets more snaps than backup RB. 

15 hours ago, Superman said:

PFF has a stat that I really like, pass rush productivity (PRP). Basically measures the rate of pressures per pass rush, and it's weighted toward sacks (including half sack). Out of all edge rushers who rushed at least 50% of pass snaps, Burns was 39th with a PRP of 6.8. He had 9 sacks in 379 pass rushes. (Ebukam had 10 in 450 rushes, PRP 6.7; Dayo had 12 in 365 rushes, PRP 5.9; Paye had 8 in 410, PRP 4.6.) 

I haven't seen that stat until now.

Interestingly Bryce Huff was 2nd (among DEs with at least 100 Pass rush snaps) and he's just been signed for $17m year.

CB has brainwashed all his fans into believing that if he won’t pay for a player then that player is overpriced. Elite players cost what they cost. Sometimes you have to pay the market price even if it stings to get the player you want or fill a large need. 54-60-1 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

Sanchez sucks, need to move on. 

Blackman and Moore I’d like to see back but for the right price.

Moss, same but lesser impact

I'll agree, in that Rigoberto Sanchez had a pretty poor PFF score last year, and we ought to bring someone to camp to compete.  But I also would rather have someone beat him for the spot than simply sign someone else, untried, without competing for the job.

57 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yup. Moss wanted to start. Wasn’t happening here. I’m glad for him. 

• Like 1

Very very happy that we kept Pitt, Grove, and Lewis and extended Zaire. I would really love to have Kenny and Blackmon back too, but even more importantly, we need to resign Rigo. Punters of his quality are not easy to come by.

I’m ok with Minshew and Moss leaving. Both were great Colts and great teammates, but they deserve better opportunities than they’ll get here.

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

That, and the opportunity to start?

I would have to think Moss was told by the Bengals that Mixon was being let go and the starting job was his to lose. Cincy has a promising young back in Chase Brown, entering his second year out of Illinois, but for now, Moss will be the clear starter in the Jungle.

Getting to play for a top-3 QB in the league and being on an immediate Super Bowl contender also likely pushed him towards Cincy over other offers.

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

CB has brainwashed all his fans into believing that if he won’t pay for a player then that player is overpriced. Elite players cost what they cost. Sometimes you have to pay the market price even if it stings to get the player you want or fill a large need. 54-60-1 

There are few Elite players at FA time.

We have Taylor, Q, Kelly, Pittman, Smith paid near the top at their position and Grover also gobbling a chunk. 

At this time we will do well to finish .500 next season.

And we are not anywhere near 1 more Elite FA signing away from being a AFC Championhship contender. Our secondary is near the bottom, our LB's can't cover, and we don't pressure the QB enough.

We have 2 reliable receivers and not much at TE. 

So until will are down to 1-2 needs to fill that makes us a SB contender, Big payouts will Never make sense.

That said, I would gladly have paid Christian Wilkins that money because he could have positively changed our dynamics at all levels defensively. lol

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

There are few Elite players at FA time.

We have Taylor, Q, Kelly, Pittman, Smith paid near the top at their position and Grover also gobbling a chunk. 

At this time we will do well to finish .500 next season.

And we are not anywhere near 1 more Elite FA signing away from being a AFC Championhship contender. Our secondary is near the bottom, our LB's can't cover, and we don't pressure the QB enough.

We have 2 reliable receivers and not much at TE. 

So until will are down to 1-2 needs to fill that makes us a SB contender, Big payouts will Never make sense.

That said, I would gladly have paid Christian Wilkins that money because he could have positively changed our dynamics at all levels defensively. lol

In all fairness, we set a franchise record for sacks last year. I think this is the best Colts defensive line since the days of Freeney and Mathis. The problem is that we hardly ever blitz, and that’s on the scheme and the coach, not Ballard or the players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I would have to think Moss was told by the Bengals that Mixon was being let go and the starting job was his to lose. Cincy has a promising young back in Chase Brown, entering his second year out of Illinois, but for now, Moss will be the clear starter in the Jungle.

Bengals will need to hope that Moss has the ability to get crucial yards in a must win scenario like Mixon did to put away the Bills last year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Bengals will need to hope that Moss has the ability to get crucial yards in a must win scenario like Mixon did to put away the Bills last year. 

Well since you and I are fans of both teams, my thought is that Moss can do it, but can the Bengals’ OL? I think that’s the real reason that Mixon peaked and leveled out the last couple of years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

In all fairness, we set a franchise record for sacks last year. I think this is the best Colts defensive line since the days of Freeney and Mathis. The problem is that we hardly ever blitz, and that’s on the scheme and the coach, not Ballard or the players.

That is the true problem. This is a make or break year for Gus Bradley, IMO. If the D can't reach its ceiling, despite several additions over years via the draft, it can't be all on Ballard. We were bottom 8 in the league in points per game, number of 3rd downs forced (not converted, we don't even get Os to 3rd down enough) and time for D on the field. If that is not glaring enough, I don't know what is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Well since you and I are fans of both teams, my thought is that Moss can do it, but can the Bengals’ OL? I think that’s the real reason that Mixon peaked and leveled out the last couple of years.

Agreed. They need to get their act together this year to have any chance of success. 

• Like 1

I don't think it made sense to spend that kind of money on a backup running back when Hull, Goodson and Sermon can handle it, or you just find someone in camp. I'd rather find another receiver or corner with that money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Liking those two has nothing to do with my opinion. Just don’t believe it was a good decision to let him go unless he didn’t want to be here. 

That may be the case.   It’s possible — even conceivable he asked Ballard not to match.  Moss will be RB1 in Cincy.  That’s certainly better than being RB2 for Indy.  Just saying.  And again, I like Moss too.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Blackmon is gone. Just unfollowed the colts on his social medias 

I don't know why that made me laugh. Reminds me of a 14 year old boy and girl ending things... Lol

• Like 2