Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Sanchez sucks, need to move on. 

Blackman and Moore I’d like to see back but for the right price.

Moss, same but lesser impact

I wouldn’t say sucks.  He doesn’t have the strongest leg of any punter in the NFL but it’s still pretty good.  He’s also one of the best punters at pinning the other team inside the 20.  Could you upgrade there?  Sure.  Is it worth the assets (draft pick or money) to do so?  I am not sure.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What measure stick you basing that off of? Not saying you’re wrong, I’m curious

He's better than Franklin in all the things that matter most in modern day NFL- he's better in coverage, he's better blitzer, he's better moving sideline to sideline... 

Also, don't know if you rate PFF, but he's been one of the highest rated LBs in the league the last 3 years:

• Like 3

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Two million and change average?   The reports are Lewis received roughly 2/12 with about 7m guaranteed.   That’s what I’ve been reading here.  

I'm going to guess it looks like this:

2024 - $2.3m base, $2.7m SB,  - cap hit - $5m

2025 - $4.3m.base, $2.7m SB - cap hit - $7m

Think it was $7.7m guaranteed 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

He's better than Franklin in all the things that matter most in modern day NFL- he's better in coverage, he's better blitzer, he's better moving sideline to sideline... 

Also, don't know if you rate PFF, but he's been one of the highest rated LBs in the league the last 3 years:

Franklin also wasn’t a free agent.  He was extended a year early.  So he was going to be back regardless.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes. Luvu is better player than Franklin. A lot better. I'd rather us give him that contract than what we gave to Franklin. 

man i just looked @ luvu he is nothing special & even if yu think he equal or marginally better he’s not worth disrupting the locker room by giving zaire the money he earned for a outsider 😂. y’all are funny & dnt get the full scope of team building 

9 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

so now that i understand what yu mean that’s litterally not smart … franklin is pivotal to the colts program … listen to how he carries himself and the ppl around him, he’s integral to how yu build a team … another guy might be better en your opinion but they aren’t home grown and may not hold the attitude or have the chemistry that zaire has earned since he’s been en INDY.  

a late round pick that worked his way to what he is is invaluable to the team 

I guess we will have to agree do disagree. We have fundamentally different views about what wins on a football field. Not in the locker room... on the football field. Also you are acting like what Franklin is providing is irreplaceable and nobody else can provide those nebulous chemistry and attitude positives to the team. For all you know Luvu is even better than him at that as ... undrafted free agent who's been able to make himself into one of the best players at his position in the league. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Franklin also wasn’t a free agent.  He was extended a year early.  So he was going to be back regardless.  

Yeah, we could have kept him and gotten Luvu and improved the roster. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I kind of wish we were able to figure out Pittman, Grover and Lewis before today so we could focus more on other players. Oh well. 

I don't think it's an issue of focus. They weren't unable to talk to other players because they were too busy with their own guys. They focused on their own guys because they didn't have any intention of playing in the Day 1 free agency market.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's an issue of focus. They weren't unable to talk to other players because they were too busy with their own guys. They focused on their own guys because they didn't have any intention of playing in the Day 1 free agency market.

They probably have one or two targets they are going after. I am sure Ballard is doing both.

Which honestly is pretty standard for Chris. Wait for the market to settle and then wheel and deal. Been his strategy for years, so I wasn’t shocked. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess we will have to agree do disagree. We have fundamentally different views about what wins on a football field. Not in the locker room... on the football field. Also you are acting like what Franklin is providing is irreplaceable and nobody else can provide those nebulous chemistry and attitude positives to the team. For all you know Luvu is even better than him at that as ... undrafted free agent who's been able to make himself into one of the best players at his position in the league. 

Agreed.

Also, I think Colts fans overrate the quality of the locker room. I'm not saying it's not good, or that we don't have a solid makeup. But in 2021, this team failed to finish at the end of the season, and the owner got on social media to call out a lack of belief on the team. In 2022, the team cratered, multiple players asked to be traded, and when an opposing player hurt one of our QBs and then did snow angels right next to him, no one on the team did anything to show that they had his back. And in 2023, we had multiple players suspended, and one was even arrested while we were in the middle of a playoff push.

I don't know if the locker room is as sanctified and valuable as people like to think it is. And I don't think a good locker room wins games on Sundays. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They probably have one or two targets they are going after. I am sure Ballard is doing both.

Yeah. Working a trade for a random tackle and Fields and his $21 million 5th option. 🙄

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Which honestly is pretty standard for Chris. Wait for the market to settle and then wheel and deal. Been his strategy for years, so I wasn’t shocked. 

Absolutely. I never expected Ballard to radically change his approach, and I didn't necessarily want him to. I don't know why people don't get it.

• Like 1

yes we can agree to disagree, Franklin is ours all he knws is INDY … yu reward your own now, could he have been nxt to him maybe but he’s not worth conversation of the debate of potentially not paying zaire. that’s a horrible message to send …

panthers or jets haven’t improved, panthers were fortunate enough to receive the 1st overall pick that they can’t even use lol so idk how successful of a team was built w luvu bring soo extraordinary lol

Absolutely. I never expected Ballard to radically change his approach, and I didn't necessarily want him to. I don't know why people don't get it.

Yeah. That’s why my post wasn’t an overreaction “angry style” post. More just wishful thinking. 

I’m very much paying attention to free agency with other teams though as it will have an impact and implications of the draft. Teams I thought might be in the works for a QB now might be looking at other positions. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Fields for sure won’t get that 5th unless weird thing he stays with bears.

If we could trade for Fields with a 3rd or 4th, we should probably look into it.

He would be solid backup and we could look to move him in season if a team has a QB injury.

This would likely put us in the positive of compensation while flipping him.

Also, if he just stayed all year, we would probably be look at a 3rd or 4th comp pick for him when he left as well.

IDK? Kinda on the fence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah. That’s why my post wasn’t an overreaction “angry style” post. More just wishful thinking. 

I’m very much paying attention to free agency with other teams though as it will have an impact and implications of the draft. Teams I thought might be in the works for a QB now might be looking at other positions. 

I'm waiting to see the meltdown when Sneed goes to the Seahawks, or better yet, stays with the Chiefs.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

If we could trade for Fields with a 3rd or 4th, we should probably look into it.

He would be solid backup and we could look to move him in season if a team has a QB injury.

This would likely put us in the positive of compensation while flipping him.

Also, if he just stayed all year, we would probably be look at a 3rd or 4th comp pick for him when he left as well.

IDK? Kinda on the fence.

I just worried about a divided locker room if things get tough.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed.

Also, I think Colts fans overrate the quality of the locker room. I'm not saying it's not good, or that we don't have a solid makeup. But in 2021, this team failed to finish at the end of the season, and the owner got on social media to call out a lack of belief on the team. In 2022, the team cratered, multiple players asked to be traded, and when an opposing player hurt one of our QBs and then did snow angels right next to him, no one on the team did anything to show that they had his back. And in 2023, we had multiple players suspended, and one was even arrested while we were in the middle of a playoff push.

I don't know if the locker room is as sanctified and valuable as people like to think it is. And I don't think a good locker room wins games on Sundays. 

Yeah, people glorify a supposedly strong locker room of a team that has fallen short again and again and again, and the evidence from the last few years has actually been to the contrary - that this team is severely lacking in positive leadership to the point where the new HC decided at some point that it will have to be him who sets and enforces the standard because the supposed leaders of this team were not doing their job. At the end of the day - even if we have good makeup and attitude, if you are not good enough on the field it doesn't really matter how good of a locker room you have. 

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

I'm waiting to see the meltdown when Sneed goes to the Seahawks, or better yet, stays with the Chiefs.

Honestly the Chiefs should seriously keep him if they truly want to get that elusive three-peat. Sneed completely shut down Hill in the post season. He basically takes away half the field each game. 

5 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

WOW, LMAO! Brian Burns to NYG, 2 picks and a 5 year $150 mil deal. Giants are burying themselves IMO.

A 2nd and 5th?

Asinine.

They turned down (2) 1st and additional pick last year.

• Like 3

Just now, stitches said:

This is another one we should have been in on if that's the price... 

I think it's the $30m AAV that needed to be attached to it, that was the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think it's the $30m AAV that needed to be attached to it, that was the issue.

This is the price of doing business. Some OK guards are getting 20M a year... we paid Pittman 23 a year... Franklin 10 a year... the salary cap is booming and the new salaries are exploding. If you want a game changer you will have to pay one way or another. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is the price of doing business. Some OK guards are getting 20M a year... we paid Pittman 23 a year... Franklin 10 a year... the salary cap is booming and the new salaries are exploding. If you want a game changer you will have to pay one way or another. 

I don't think I see Burns as a game changer.

Just now, Superman said:

I don't think I see Burns as a game changer.

Now this would be a better reason to not give him 30M a year... I'm not 100% sure he's a game changer either... or is he a Ngakoue type? 

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two million and change average?   The reports are Lewis received roughly 2/12 with about 7m guaranteed.   That’s what I’ve been reading here.  

I saw 2 years, 5.8 total. Did I missread?

Now this would be a better reason to not give him 30M a year... I'm not 100% sure he's a game changer either... or is he a Ngakoue type? 

Now Burns and Daniel Jones are appx 26% of their entire salary cap, straight up, not sure how they structured it. 

• Like 1

No possible way we end up trading for Fields. That is literally the worst thing we could do. 1st fields is not good, 2nd that would most likely make AR feel some type of way if we ended up trading for him. Those picks would be a waste.