Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Franklin + $3m

Pittman - $5m

I doubt that very much. Ballard typically doesn't backload contracts to that degree. I'd say Franklin at $6-7m, and Pittman at $12-15m. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If it was true colts were offering Kenny too Slot money he should be back.

Worth noting, and I hate to say this because he’s my favorite player,  but when Ballard was specifically asked about keeping Kenny Moore Ballard said you can’t keep everyone and then gave the GM speak answer of we’d like to keep him.

Just now, Superman said:

I doubt that very much. Ballard typically doesn't backload contracts to that degree. I'd say Franklin at $6-7m, and Pittman at $12-15m. 

Franklin’s contract starts AFTER next year based upon the reports I heard. So it shouldn’t affect 2024 at all 

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who says his job is on the line?  Some fan on the message board who is frustrated that Ballard hasn’t done what they wanted?  Sorry that doesn’t count.  Irsay is the only one who gets a vote on that and he’s done nothing to say Ballard’s job is on the line this season.  Further more, Irsay is involved with how the team is run, Ballard has said they have stayed in contact while Irsay has been in the hospital so he’s probably signed off on whatever Ballard’s plan is.

OK I guess you would say I’m assuming his job is on the line since he hasn’t done squat in the last eight years. How much rope does this guy have?

Just now, ArmchairQB said:

I think it’s pathetic that we let him go and didn’t even sniff bringing him back.  

I don't know about "pathetic" he wouldn't be a starter here.....so how much do you want to pay him for a position he won't take?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That is how much more than their current cap hits.

Franklin was $3.3m so he will count an additional $3m. $6.3m total 

And Pittman I have at $16.8m, $5m less than franchise tag hit.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

OK I guess you would say I’m assuming his job is on the line since he hasn’t done squat in the last eight years. How much rope does this guy have?

And you are leaving out the part where Irsay pretty much made the decision not to fire him after last season and reset the clock on Ballard with a rookie QB.  So you might not like it but there is nothing to suggest his job is on the line this season.

Just now, cbear said:

We'd still need to replace them though. Do you think we overpaid for Stewart and Franklin? 

I don't think either of them are difference makers, so replacing them to an acceptable degree should have been the approach. And it's not about whether they're overpaid, the contracts make sense given the market. The question is whether we could use their cap allocation to add players who would actually move the needle for this team and its expectations.

2 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

I think it’s pathetic that we let him go and didn’t even sniff bringing him back.  

Huh?    

The Colts reportedly lost Autry over roughly $50,000.    That’s far more than a sniff.   

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

That is how much more than their current cap hits.

Franklin was $3.3m so he will count an additional $3m.

And Pittman I have at $16.8m, $5m less than franchise tag hit.

Got it, we're on the same page then. I thought you were giving a projection for their actual cap hits.

• Like 1

I mean, yeah, I'm happy we're taking care of the important guys, but there are so many open spots that NEED addressed. Once again seems like not much is or is going to happen. I'm also aware I'm not being patient, but I am SO tired of not doing anything until day 3 with bargain bin or rotational players only.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Got it, we're on the same page then. I thought you were giving a projection for their actual cap hits.

No just trying to gauge where we are sitting cap wise until actual numbers are posted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Franklin’s contract starts AFTER next year based upon the reports I heard. So it shouldn’t affect 2024 at all 

Assuming there's a new signing bonus, it definitely affects the 2024 cap. And they very well could have adjusting his 2024 salary. 

It's reported as three new years at ~$31m. The details will be revealed at some point.

I don't think either of them are difference makers, so replacing them to an acceptable degree should have been the approach. And it's not about whether they're overpaid, the contracts make sense given the market. The question is whether we could use their cap allocation to add players who would actually move the needle for this team and its expectations.

I get what you are saying and it’s more than fair to say you could be right but I just don’t think Ballard sees it that way.  I think he sees a team that was one drive away from winning the division last year with a backup QB who played most of the season.  I think he feels they are a lot closer than some will give them credit for.  I am not saying Ballard is right and you are wrong or you are right and he is wrong.  I just think time will tell.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?    

The Colts reportedly lost Autry over roughly $50,000.    That’s far more than a sniff.   

I didn’t hear that.  If true I retract.  I’m still burnt over losing him to begin with.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?    

I continue to have the most unpopular opinion on Denico Autry. I think he was and still is very overrated by Colts fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess to a certain degree all those re-signings tell us something about what Ballard sees in this roster. To me it tells me that Ballard likes the general shape of the roster. He doesn't seem to think major shake ups are needed. I don't even know how much money we are left with? Can we even pursue any big outside FAs? 

Just now, Superman said:

I continue to have the most unpopular opinion on Denico Autry. I think he was and still is very overrated by Colts fans.

This.  The way some talk about Autry you’d think Ballard let Freeney or Mathis walk in their prime.

Just now, Superman said:

How so?  He is arguably the most consistent DE we have had in the last 5 years. 

1 minute ago, ArmchairQB said:

I didn’t hear that.  If true I retract.  I’m still burnt over losing him to begin with.  

No worries….   Also, one other point, because of Covid that winter, the NFL salary cap went down instead of going up.   Went down nearly $20 mill.   That out all teams in a bad pinch.   

You're not alone, losing Autry has been very unpopular for years.  But when you step back and take the long view,  I think most angry posters would do the same thing.   These decisions are hard and you can’t keep everyone you want.  

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I was making a joke about it being made / stole because I think most would agree Cousin’s has not been worth a $300 million career.  Still good for him.

You're worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  The Falcons just gave him 100 million guaranteed.   He has maximized his money better than any player I can remember 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I hope to be wrong but Franklin at 9-10 mill per year is no bargain. He's pretty poor in pass coverage . Pittman got about what he deserved.

Well that’s about the average for a starting LB. So I’ll take it. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Goodbye Mustache, thanks for a memorable 2023 season. I knew this was coming and it did. I wish him the best. He brought me many good moments. Life in the NFL is what it is. 

Probably would’ve came back if he properly threw that ball and made it to the playoffs lol.

• Thanks 1