Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Wowza….  It’s a cold hearted business.  We’re in the market for a new backup QB.  

Unless they think it’s Sam as that’s what they have been grooming him for and this is the last year of his rookie contract so it’s put up or shut up time with him.

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Minshew gets a 2 year $25 million contract. I *think* that'll get us a 5TH ROUNDER.

That might be a 4th, but only if we don't cancel it out.

Which tbh, hopefully we do. Can't fathom waiting until after the draft it add some guys.

• Like 2

Hey @NewColtsFan, remember the discussion we had regarding where Minshew could possibly go?

I went back and looked at it and we agreed that the Raiders were the most likely possibility.  I wonder if Gardner's agent read our comments, lol!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Yoshinator said:

I hope we draft Joe Milton now. He's a poor man's copy of AR. Can run the same playbook with both of them.

They will go for a vet, and it won't be Sam Ehlinger, most likely Tyrod Taylor or Joshua Dobbs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wish Gardner Minshew well.

Now, we can go after Tyrod Taylor to have a similar offense run by AR and him

Taylor is who I'm hoping for as well.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I get what you are saying and it’s more than fair to say you could be right but I just don’t think Ballard sees it that way.  I think he sees a team that was one drive away from winning the division last year with a backup QB who played most of the season.  I think he feels they are a lot closer than some will give them credit for.  I am not saying Ballard is right and you are wrong or you are right and he is wrong.  I just think time will tell.

Clearly. 

I agree that we were close to winning the division last year, with a backup QB. All good, I'm as optimistic about that as anyone else.

But no one from our division was going to challenge for the conference last year. We played a weak schedule, I don't know how many bad/backup level QBs, I don't know how many interim/hot seat HCs, etc. Being close to winning this division isn't as impressive as it sounds on the surface.

And the things that, IMO, keep us from being able to compete with the top of the conference -- pass rush, pass coverage, pass production, limiting big plays, producing big plays, etc. -- aren't helped by doubling down on guys who can't cover, can't pass rush, and don't produce big plays.

Time will tell. I'm not calling for Ballard to be fired, not complaining because we didn't sign the top tier guys at the start of free agency. Just saying I'm underwhelmed by these decisions. Nothing against the guys we're keeping, they're the epitome of 'horseshoe guys,' I get the appeal. I just don't think it moves the needle for our team, and its ceiling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Probably would’ve came back if he properly threw that ball and made it to the playoffs lol.

Taylor should have just ran the ball on 4th and 1 haha . I think Shane is great but my call would have been Taylor all day. Having said that, Minshew was good for us, it is all about AR now that is for sure.

Just now, Superman said:

Clearly. 

I agree that we were close to winning the division last year, with a backup QB. All good, I'm as optimistic about that as anyone else.

But no one from our division was going to challenge for the conference last year. We played a weak schedule, I don't know how many bad/backup level QBs, I don't know how many interim/hot seat HCs, etc. Being close to winning this division isn't as impressive as it sounds on the surface.

And the things that, IMO, keep us from being able to compete with the top of the conference -- pass rush, pass coverage, pass production, limiting big plays, producing big plays, etc. -- aren't helped by doubling down on guys who can't cover, can't pass rush, and don't produce big plays.

Time will tell. I'm not calling for Ballard to be fired, not complaining because we didn't sign the top tier guys at the start of free agency. Just saying I'm underwhelmed by these decisions. Nothing against the guys we're keeping, they're the epitome of 'horseshoe guys,' I get the appeal. I just don't think it moves the needle for our team, and its ceiling.

I know you aren’t and I am not saying you are.  You have a perfectly valid opinion and you might very well be proven right.

Good for Minshew. I included him in my mock at $5m, didn't think he'd get anywhere close to that kind of offer on the market. Hopefully he plays well for the Raiders.

Need a new vet backup now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think either of them are difference makers, so replacing them to an acceptable degree should have been the approach. And it's not about whether they're overpaid, the contracts make sense given the market. The question is whether we could use their cap allocation to add players who would actually move the needle for this team and its expectations.

Grover is a solid run defender and is a big reason why Zaire makes so many tackles. Grover is a 2 down player unless we have a 2nd and long then is a b one down. If the opponent drops back to pass he hurts our pass rush. 

Ballard has so many needs he won't draft an upgrade at DT. It's a DT mess.

And what garbage backups he went with in Johnson and Bryan.

Ballard is a generation behind.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think either of them are difference makers, so replacing them to an acceptable degree should have been the approach. And it's not about whether they're overpaid, the contracts make sense given the market. The question is whether we could use their cap allocation to add players who would actually move the needle for this team and its expectations.

Grover is a solid run defender and is a big reason why Zaire makes so many tackles. Grover is a 2 down player unless we have a 2nd and long then is a b one down. If the opponent drops back to pass he hurts our pass rush. 

Ballard has so many needs he won't draft an upgrade at DT. It's a DT mess.

And what garbage backups he went with in Johnson and Bryan.

Ballard is a generation behind.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Hey @NewColtsFan, remember the discussion we had regarding where Minshew could possibly go?

I went back and looked at it and we agreed that the Raiders were the most likely possibility.  I wonder if Gardner's agent read our comments, lol!

Makes sense because they have a young QB. Don’t really have a starter.

Good luck to Minshew. He was a great backup turned emergency starter for us. He was the consummate professional, never complained when AR was selected as the starter, Was there to support our young QB and when we needed him to play he played well enough to keep us in the playoff picture until the end. You cannot really ask for much more from a backup. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just 2 posts above, I thought of the same name.

He's the perfect QB2 for us. Has familiarity with Shane, is a high level backup, and is a high quality locker room guy.

I'm also biased since he's from my area. Fun fact: He was supposed to be the starting QB at my HS alma mater with my little brother before his family moved into the district of a powerhouse team so he could play there instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

2/25 for Minshew!   Good for him.   He earned that off what he did last year.  

Curious about our backup QB situation…. I like Sam, but not that much.  Hoping for a veteran of some type.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What. Didn’t someone on here mention that.

I don't see this happening. He will be more expensive than I think the Colts would be willing to pay ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stitches said:

You cannot really ask for much more from a backup. 

Well maybe just a little bit more.

His presence last year was appreciated though.

Good luck in Vegas.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What. Didn’t someone on here mention that.

I thought about it earlier today as something that would be out of left field.

Problem is the $25m 5th year option.

Essentially it's just a rental, but could bring in potential comp pick following season.?

Maybe trade by the deadline?

Could be worth the gamble.

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

That’s a lot for him honestly but good depth 

I think he's more than just depth. He's been a rotational piece for us whenever he's been healthy... and he's been good in that role. 

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

These decisions are incredibly 'meh' to me.

They may be "Meh", but important resignings.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That's a great spot for him, most likely Raiders will be looking at a rookie in the draft Minshew gets to be the bridge starter this year.

Colts would have a cap hit of  6 million for Fields. Guys in Chicago love him in the locker room so not sure I would chance anything on a divided locker room.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't see this happening. He will be more expensive than I think the Colts would be willing to pay ... 

6 million 

Colts would have a cap hit of  6 million for Fields. Guys in Chicago love him in the locker room so not sure I would chance anything on a divided locker room.

Guys who are loved in locker rooms generally are not the same guys who cause divisions....

It's not like some are just gonna say, hey I like AR.... but I like Fields a little bit more....

Actually only $3.2m.

Think people were talking about draft compensation wise on being too expensive?

6 million 

That would be a good number.

Bears are only going to get like a 6th for him. There is no market.

Better yet.