Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Year 7 of Ballard

runthepost

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think Irsay has 2025 marked in the calender. Good things need to start happening at that point.

If AR doesn't pan out it'll be on Ballard anyway, but even if AR does end up being a guy we can build around Ballard actually has to have a decent roster built at that point.

We'll see. He's pulled the trigger on AR, so that is what it is at this point. Now he needs to build the roster.

Bills GM gave Diggs for Allen in Year 3, Eagles Howie gave A J Brown to Hurts in Year 3, Bears parlayed the top draft pick to give Fields D J Moore Year 3, I’m hopeful Ballard will get a good target for AR soon that will reduce concerns for a short while for playmakers at pass catching while also dipping into the draft.

Just the fact we had NO ONE to play outside WR opposite Pierce once Pittman couldn’t go shows us the cupboard is somewhat bare there

• Like 3

Just now, Solid84 said:

100%

I'm saying he's gone if,

• AR doesn't pan out.
  • There isn't a decent roster around AR at that point (2025).

This season's roster was good enough for a postseason berth, perhaps even a divisional title depending on the results of the Jaguars game later today.

• Like 1

Just now, Lancer1 said:

This season's roster was good enough for a postseason berth, perhaps even a divisional title depending on the results of the Jaguars game later today.

That's one way to look at it and I'm sure many do.

I disagree though. To me we have an average roster and I think that was on full display several times this season - Just about everytime we met Olines/Dlines that weren't pushovers for instance. Or, when we met a QB that wasn't average or a backup.

We were helped a lot by a cakewalk of a schedule and some timely injuries to opponents and rivals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DattMavis said:

We were a play from making the playoffs with Gardner Minshew. What more do people want? If AR plays, we dominate that game. Gus Bradley does need to go though.

We don’t know at this time if AR is any good. 

• Like 1

Maybe we need a new WR’s coach.  The current one has only developed Pittman.  The other guys were fairly high picks and disappear frequently.  I think we should go out and trade for one or sign a real proven one.  We seem to have a hard time developing our own.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe we need a new WR’s coach.  The current one has only developed Pittman.  The other guys were fairly high picks and disappear frequently.  I think we should go out and trade for one or sign a real proven one.  We seem to have a hard time developing our own.

You mean Reggie Wayne needs fired?

Just now, richard pallo said:

I think we just need more groceries on the WR front for mixing and matching different skills.

Another area I wanted thoughts on is secondary coaching. The corners, our safety play and overall play has been too hit and miss, whether it’s coverage or tackling, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Josh Downs says hi and since Reggie Wayne has only been here for two years and only really had two draft picks to work with I think that would be a little premature, also there is lots of evidence to show Pierce’s problem is more them not going to him when he’s open.  I’ve been very out spoken about Pierce but I have to admit the past two weeks Matt Ryan and Troy Aikman did a really good job spot lighting how the Colts weren’t using Pierce and it’s causing me to rethink my stance.  

• Like 4

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Josh Downs says hi and since Reggie Wayne has only been here for two years and only really had two draft picks to work with I think that would be a little premature, also there is lots of evidence to show Pierce’s problem is more them not going to him when he’s open.  I’ve been very out spoken about Pierce but I have to admit the past two weeks Matt Ryan and Troy Aikman did a really good job spot lighting how the Colts weren’t using Pierce and it’s causing me to rethink my stance.  

Yes Pierce has been open, but we aren’t throwing it to him. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Yes Pierce has been open, but we aren’t throwing it to him. 

That was the case last week, he was wide open twice early and Minshew went to him the second time, resulting in a touchdown.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

This is the hope I'm hanging onto for the offseason. That Ballard was less aggressive because of Reich not pushing him to get players, and that Steichen will be more aggressive to get his guys and Ballard will budge on his philosophy because of that. Generally, Ballard listened to Reich to a fault, so I'm hoping it works to our advantage with Steichen as his impact was seen with the Eagles in how Howie Roseman operated.

I agree with this as I’m left with the impression that Reich either didn’t challenge Ballard enough for skill players or they were just too aligned on how to build the team (in a bad way).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Chris Ballard, 55-59-1 

Not anything to write home about for a so called great gm. He should be grateful for Shane's UNLIKELY win total this season or those numbers would be a lot worse!!! To think Josh McDaniels could’ve been a possibility... Yikes!! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I agree with this as I’m left with the impression that Reich either didn’t challenge Ballard enough for skill players or they were just too aligned on how to build the team (in a bad way).

Yep. I am hoping Steichen pushed him to  change his way of thinking some. It doesn’t have to be drastic but a few changes here and there would do wonders.

• Like 1

I truly hope that Ballard makes some aggressive FA move(s) this offseason WHILE we have QB and LT on rookie contracts

If we aren’t in playoffs next year….. I think you HAVE to make a change at GM

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly hope that Ballard makes some aggressive FA move(s) this offseason WHILE we have QB and LT on rookie contracts

I think Ballard will get a pass due to the fact that his QB1 missed the majority of this season, and his QB2 & rookie HC led us to the cusp of a postseason berth.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I think Ballard will get a pass due to the fact that his QB1 missed the majority of this season, and his QB2 & rookie HC led us to the cusp of a postseason berth.

Absolutely said this at the beginning of the season. If we won more than 5 games his job was safe. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

He GETS a pass for this PAST year

but not after NEXT year IMHO. If we miss playoffs 

8 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Time to get rid of Ballard IMO. Another choke job with the playoffs on the line. You can either say the team wasn't good enough, and that's Ballards fault after 7 years, or that the team choked, and that's on Steichen (who Ballard hired). Amazing that we were 1 game away from the playoffs, suffered a heartbreaking loss again, and people are happy with the season.

Literally every fan should be writing in to Irsay to fire Ballard. I want a Fire Ballard banner over Lucas Oil Stadium.

To the Bolded, that's mostly fans that have low expectations from this mostly historical losing franchise AND competing for a playoff spot is great for them compared to the very low win seasons from the past. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

He GETS a pass for this PAST year

but not after NEXT year IMHO. If we miss playoffs 

We'll see, due to the fact that his QB1 will still be learning on the job, especially if Minshew moves on to another team - he does need to add another offensive weapon in the form of another WR or a reliable TE to help AR succeed. 

• Like 1

Think Flaco would have thrown a better pass. Why owe why Shane makes a play to thrown to someone who barely plays. Not the time to get foolish.

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ballard always bargain bins FA shopping. Really have to shore up secondary.

8 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Those are BELOW mediocre results. Today's game is made of aggressive gms looking for quick turnarounds or all in types trying to hold that Lombardi. Of course there are teams in general that are not really trying to win due to cheap owners or inept front offices. We fall somewhere in between. Ballard has been very methodical in his slow long term approach . Safe low cost moves in FA (outside Buckner) and he has been SOLID but NOT exceptional overall in the draft. Stands pat but mostly trades down to aquire more LOWER rd picks while searching for that diamond in the rough.

I don't know how many more years that Ballard has to turn this team into SB contention but he seems to have a limited ceiling with his 80's team build formula which is okay if you're simply satisfied with having a respectable team. The division has gotten tougher and the Colts are NOT dominant on EITHER side of the ball. A change is needed at dc but Gus is Ballard’s guy so we'll see how that plays out. Hopefully AR can stay healthy because I think he can become special but if he can't one can ONLY wonder what Stroud or soon to be 2 time league MVP Lamar Jackson would have looked like being paired with Steichen while wearing the Shoe...

Maybe a New Mandela Effect will take Ballard and the colts in a time line where they still play '80s football. .....something to hope for at least :funny:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I'd be glad to have him back, for the right price. He filled on admirably in JT's absence and could be an absolute threat if paired in the same backfield with Taylor.

I’ve soured on Ballard. I would’ve been fine seeing him the door last season. But now with a new coach and QB we’re stuck with him for better or worse. 

I don’t know if he’s learned enough from his mistakes. I guess we’ll see. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It for 3 years 18 million like his agent is suggesting.

Even 18 is too much. That’s too much money at the RB position. Would rather draft a RB 

Interesting research, in the 52 years of Irsay ownership the Colts have won a grand total of 14 division titles. Eight with Peyton Manning, 3 with Bert Jones, 2 with Luck, and 1 with Jack Trudeau in 1987. Even I didn't realize it was that bad, and Ballard is supposed to be some kind of miracle worker without a true "franchise" qb these past 7 years??? If there's one thing I know about professional sports in this country it's how hard it is to change history. Let's see what Ballard can do with Richardson, because I think he is the real deal. P.S. we still won't win a superbowel though, If Manning could only get 1 no else EVER will, sorry folks just the way it is. There are still 4 franchises that have never played in a superbowel,so we are better than those 4 .

9 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Time to get rid of Ballard IMO. Another choke job with the playoffs on the line. You can either say the team wasn't good enough, and that's Ballards fault after 7 years, or that the team choked, and that's on Steichen (who Ballard hired). Amazing that we were 1 game away from the playoffs, suffered a heartbreaking loss again, and people are happy with the season.

Literally every fan should be writing in to Irsay to fire Ballard. I want a Fire Ballard banner over Lucas Oil Stadium.

Not mad we needed to lose. We need more impact play makers on offense 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

It's a gentle process that happens over time and it seems to flow through every element of the organisation....from the fans upwards.

You only have to look at the post game thread at how many people think this is a good/great season and are happy to slap the team on the back for the mildest of achievements. 

Give it 4 months and there will be people creaming themselves because we've picked 6 or 7 more guys with high RAS scores and long arms, we've basically got a rookie quarterback returning and we finished 9 and 8 but I don't see anything to get giddy about. We're a team that crumbles in the big moments and lacks talent in key areas. We're happy being mediocre and will make excuses in the face of any criticism. I can't help thinking that we get what we deserve.

the ballard lovers seem to be happy to lose and have below average talent,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I’ve soured on Ballard. I would’ve been fine seeing him the door last season. But now with a new coach and QB we’re stuck with him for better or worse. 

I don’t know if he’s learned enough from his mistakes. I guess we’ll see. 

our gm has been learning on the job for 7 years, seems like he didnt do his homework or skipped class, lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

We don’t know at this time if AR is any good. 

Did you watch him when he was healthy? AR is good. We just don’t know if he can stay healthy, or will be good after surgery.

Just now, DattMavis said:

Did you watch him when he was healthy? AR is good. We just don’t know if he can stay healthy, or will be good after surgery.

Man he literally played in 4 games and only finished 2 of them, at the very beginning of the season when there is no NFL film on the kid. Sorry but Blueblood is right, we have absolutely no idea if AR is good or not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

the ballard lovers seem to be happy to lose and have below average talent,

Nonsense.  No one is happy to lose.  But some people don’t get in their feelings whenever things don’t go right.  Explain how we were on the cusp of a playoff berth and potential division title with Gardner Minshew if the roster is below average?  

Everything has to be put in context.  We have to get the QB situation right along with every other team in the league.  Nick Caserio was looked at as an unmitigated disaster before he drafted CJ Stroud and was on the hot seat in Houston.  That single pick elevated everything else he did.  Picking the consensus quarterback at number 2 overall doesn’t take a genius.  

Philip Rivers taking us to the playoffs in 2020 and then Wentz almost doing it in 2021 is what made the organization think we were close.  Last year the bottom fell out and it was addressed this past offseason.  Ballard is most definitely going to live or die with the AR pick.  It’s the first high pick QB he has drafted.   It is wise to hold judgement. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Zack’s productivity this year has put him in the conversation for a David Montgomery-type contract

Montgomery got $18m over 3 years. $4.5m signing bonus and $11m guaranteed.

2023 production:

10 games (7 started) -- 169 carries -- 741 yards -- 7 TDs -- 19 receptions -- 145 yards -- 1 TD

14 games (8 started) -- 183 carries -- 794 yards -- 5 TDs -- 27 receptions -- 192 yards -- 2 TDs

One is JT, the other is Moss.