Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Year 7 of Ballard

runthepost

This is not a post saying fire Ballard

So in the 7 years of Ballard we are 54-60-1 in the regular season, and 1-2 in the playoffs.

We have 0 division titles 

Still have the same issues from the last 3 seasons

Still an eh team in free agency 

Will next season be the same old same old or actually different?

• Like 3

It's definitely fair to say his seat is going to be hot this coming season.

It's looking like Jax and Hou have passed us and if Levis turns out to be legit we could be bottom dwellers in the division.

I think he'll spend more than usual because of this.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, runthepost said:

This is not a post saying fire Ballard

So in the 7 years of Ballard we are 54-60-1 in the regular season, and 1-2 in the playoffs.

We have 0 division titles 

Still have the same issues from the last 3 seasons

Still an eh team in free agency 

Will next season be the same old same old or actually different?

Thank God your first sentence in bold declared that your post was NOT to say let’s fire Ballard.   

Because every other word you wrote sure SCREAMED fire Ballard as clearly as possible.     :peek:

• Thanks 1

Irsay pretty much reset the clock on Ballard when he didn’t fire him last year.  He’s going to get two or three years with a new coach and new QB.  

This will be a big off-season though.  He’s got big free agency decisions to make with Pitttman, Moss, Grover, Moore, Blackmon, and others.  

Hes also picking in the middle of round one which isn’t the most ideal spot.  

Then he will have to look at players to add and the big huge question of can Richardson stay healthy which in fairness he has no control over.

56 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Dont worry were now going into year 8 of his 13 year plan to win the division. Were getting close.

Yeah, but don't some here say that his first season didn't start the first season? Has his first season even started yet??? 

I think even his biggest supporters will have to say his first season started with his coach he picked in Steinchen?

So that means 2023 and 13 year plan ends 2035. :cheer2:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah, but don't some here say that his first season didn't start the first season? Has his first season even started yet??? 

I think even his biggest supporters will have to say his first season started with his coach he picked in Steinchen?

So that means 2023 and 13 year plan ends 2035. :cheer2:

Time to get rid of Ballard IMO. Another choke job with the playoffs on the line. You can either say the team wasn't good enough, and that's Ballards fault after 7 years, or that the team choked, and that's on Steichen (who Ballard hired). Amazing that we were 1 game away from the playoffs, suffered a heartbreaking loss again, and people are happy with the season.

Literally every fan should be writing in to Irsay to fire Ballard. I want a Fire Ballard banner over Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those are BELOW mediocre results. Today's game is made of aggressive gms looking for quick turnarounds or all in types trying to hold that Lombardi. Of course there are teams in general that are not really trying to win due to cheap owners or inept front offices. We fall somewhere in between. Ballard has been very methodical in his slow long term approach . Safe low cost moves in FA (outside Buckner) and he has been SOLID but NOT exceptional overall in the draft. Stands pat but mostly trades down to aquire more LOWER rd picks while searching for that diamond in the rough.

I don't know how many more years that Ballard has to turn this team into SB contention but he seems to have a limited ceiling with his 80's team build formula which is okay if you're simply satisfied with having a respectable team. The division has gotten tougher and the Colts are NOT dominant on EITHER side of the ball. A change is needed at dc but Gus is Ballard’s guy so we'll see how that plays out. Hopefully AR can stay healthy because I think he can become special but if he can't one can ONLY wonder what Stroud or soon to be 2 time league MVP Lamar Jackson would have looked like being paired with Steichen while wearing the Shoe...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Season just ended, and you’re already in perfect form.   Your happy place.   Enjoy! 

Sounds like a lot of other people are in their happy place. Just happy to do as well as they did and not even caring that we missed the playoffs. These would be the same people that would tell their kid they are proud of them if they made it to the 12th grade in high school as a Senior but dropped out. You can't do anything about it, but you shouldn't be proud of that. Same thing with our scenario. Expectations change. At that final moment, it is win and we're in. Who cares about how many games we expected to win at the beginning of the year. We were 9-7 with a chance to make the playoffs. This season ended with a loss and one game away from the playoffs when we controlled our fate. That is ultimately the ending here.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sounds like a lot of other people are in their happy place. Just happy to do as well as they did and not even caring that we missed the playoffs. These would be the same people that would tell their kid they are proud of them if they made it to the 12th grade in high school as a Senior but dropped out. You can't do anything about it, but you shouldn't be proud of that. Same thing with our scenario. Expectations change. At that final moment, it is win and we're in. Who cares about how many games we expected to win at the beginning of the year. We were 9-7 with a chance to make the playoffs. This season ended with a loss and one game away from the playoffs when we controlled our fate. That is ultimately the ending here.

You're entitled to whatever opinions you like, Jared.    Enjoy the website.   :thmup:

• Thanks 1

I have no idea how or when we became this team that collapses in games, collapses at the end of seasons, fails in big moments, but that's us.  

Ballard needed this playoff appearance.  He really did.

We're basically back to starting a rookie again next year, and who knows how many games he'll be able to stay on the field.  I'm not expecting playoffs in 2024.  Maybe by year 9 or 10.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, #12. said:

I have no idea how or when we became this team that collapses in games, collapses at the end of seasons, fails in big moments, but that's us.  

Ballard needed this playoff appearance.  He really did.

We're basically back to starting a rookie again next year, and who knows how many games he'll be able to stay on the field.  I'm not expecting playoffs in 2024.  Maybe by year 9 or 10.

It's a gentle process that happens over time and it seems to flow through every element of the organisation....from the fans upwards.

You only have to look at the post game thread at how many people think this is a good/great season and are happy to slap the team on the back for the mildest of achievements. 

Give it 4 months and there will be people creaming themselves because we've picked 6 or 7 more guys with high RAS scores and long arms, we've basically got a rookie quarterback returning and we finished 9 and 8 but I don't see anything to get giddy about. We're a team that crumbles in the big moments and lacks talent in key areas. We're happy being mediocre and will make excuses in the face of any criticism. I can't help thinking that we get what we deserve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, it takes 10 years to properly win a division lol. 

I don't know how long Houston's GM has been there, but they may very well win the division today in Year 1 with their HC/QB combo.

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Time to get rid of Ballard IMO. Another choke job with the playoffs on the line. You can either say the team wasn't good enough, and that's Ballards fault after 7 years, or that the team choked, and that's on Steichen (who Ballard hired). Amazing that we were 1 game away from the playoffs, suffered a heartbreaking loss again, and people are happy with the season.

Literally every fan should be writing in to Irsay to fire Ballard. I want a Fire Ballard banner over Lucas Oil Stadium.

Aren’t you the same guy who months ago said he was “done with the team” 

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

Got any new material?

Same can be said for you. Every loss the last decade , you say the same things. I’m not saying you need to be happy with the loss or content with Ballard, by all means , shred him and vent all you want. Some of it is warranted, some is a gross overreaction. But

I’m just genuinely wondering why you continue to follow on this website when you’ve stated repeatedly that you’re done. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Same can be said for you. Every loss the last decade , you say the same things. I’m not saying you need to be happy with the loss or content with Ballard, by all means , shred him and vent all you want. Some of it is warranted, some is a gross overreaction. But

I’m just genuinely wondering why you continue to follow on this website when you’ve stated repeatedly that you’re done. 

Like I've said before, just hoping either A.) for a change in a GM or B.) Hoping for a winning season to make the playoffs and make a possible cinderella run. Of course, if I switch teams, then my friends would call me a bandwagon fan as well. So it feels like if you complain you get ridiculed, if you don't watch you're a fairweather fan, if you switch teams you're a bandwagoner. Don't understand why Ballard gets a free pass from everyone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I believe Nick Caserio has been there for 3 years. 

It appears as if he's done a heck of a job in that time frame - a year ago he got three #1s, a 3rd & two 4th round picks from Cleveland for Deshaun Watson & a 2024 6th round pick, he ran Lovie Smith after only 1 season but has apparently hit on his current HC & QB hires, and has made the postseason in their 1st season together, with the possibility of winning the division and hosting a playoff game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I’m sorry but the Colts losing a football game is nowhere close to someone’s kid dropping out of high school. 

I get the frustration bc I too think Ballard has underperformed. I’ve been complaining for years bc he chose to chase the delusional veteran QB method that hardly ever works. I think Ballard has been below average at drafting DE, WR and S and it’s really held the team back. I would also of understood and accepted him being fired LAST year. However, we have a good coach and a new rookie QB and firing Ballard would probably be detrimental to this team. They are linked and going for to ride or die together. 

IMO, the Colts losing is more comparable to someone’s freshman son starting on the varsity team bc of an injury. You think he is going to be burned all year but plays surprisingly well but and despite giving up the big play that loses the last game, he makes all conference honorable mention. Still a good season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Lancer1 said:

It appears as if he's done a heck of a job in that time frame - a year ago he got three #1s, a 3rd & two 4th round picks from Cleveland for Deshaun Watson & a 2024 6th round pick, he ran Lovie Smith after only 1 season but has apparently hit on his current HC & QB hires, and has made the postseason in their 1st season together, with the possibility of winning the division and hosting a playoff game.

Yep. At worst, he's equal to Ballard already in less than half the time. At best, he's superior to him and may make a run in the playoffs with a rookie QB. Makes Ballard look terrible in comparison.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m sorry but the Colts losing a football game is nowhere close to someone’s kid dropping out of high school. 

I get the frustration bc I too think Ballard has underperformed. I’ve been complaining for years bc he chose to chase the delusional veteran QB method that hardly ever works. I think Ballard has been below average at drafting DE, WR and S and it’s really held the team back. I would also of understood and accepted him being fired LAST year. However, we have a good coach and a new rookie QB and firing Ballard would probably be detrimental to this team. They are linked and going for to ride or die together. 

IMO, the Colts losing is more comparable to someone’s freshman son starting on the varsity team bc of an injury. You think he is going to be burned all year but plays surprisingly well but and despite giving up the big play that loses the last game, he makes all conference honorable mention. Still a good season. 

I use the senior high school dropout comparison because that kid worked hard to get to his senior year. All they have to do is finish the last grade and they graduate. 12 years of hard work is a success and you get your diploma. Then you can focus on work, college, or whatever you choose. Instead, that kid drops out and takes two steps backward. That's the Colts. We had the playoffs in reach and put up a stinker. Took two steps back. Now we have to run it back with Richardson next year and hope it's not a rookie-type year where we have low expectations.

4 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Like I've said before, just hoping either A.) for a change in a GM or B.) Hoping for a winning season to make the playoffs and make a possible cinderella run. Of course, if I switch teams, then my friends would call me a bandwagon fan as well. So it feels like if you complain you get ridiculed, if you don't watch you're a fairweather fan, if you switch teams you're a bandwagoner. Don't understand why Ballard gets a free pass from everyone. 

Who said Ballard is getting a pass. Even his most diehard supporters say he needs to improve. 

But the bottom line is this, a professional running back has a ball thrown to him by a profession QB and has it hit him in his hands while being wide open. That’s not on Ballard. That’s on Goodson. Period.

let’s not forget that Pittman did his typical disappearance and Pierce and Granson had huge wide open drops throughout the game as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Who said Ballard is getting a pass. Even his most diehard supporters say he needs to improve. 

But the bottom line is this, a professional running back has a ball thrown to him by a profession QB and has it hit him in his hands while being wide open. That’s not on Ballard. That’s on Goodson. Period.

let’s not forget that Pittman did his typical disappearance and Pierce and Granson had huge wide open drops throughout the game as well. 

I agree with the Goodson call. That's on Steichen. However, the receiving core is really bad. That's on Ballard. Even Pittman has off days. Look at Nico Collins. He was the only threat today and he dominated. Just another example of another team getting a no1 that turns out better than ours. Now we may not keep Pittman. He's a FA. We probably do, but you never know. Pierce is a bust at this point. Granson is useless with Minshew at QB, same with Pierce. We may be Downs to Pierce, Downs and junk at WR and have another desperate need at the position if we don't re-sign Pittman. Seems like this team always has a ton of needs every offseason. That's what happens when you pretty much only build through the draft. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I think it's on Shane for not having his best offensive players on the field for that critical play, even as decoys. 

As for Pittman, I would imagine that Houston's DC schemed to make sure that our only legitimate receiving threat was accounted for on pivitol plays.

Shane gets too cute at times and why have lousy QB try make a play. Reminds me of Carroll bone head call on not using Lynch at Superbowl goal line. If play doesn't work with JT run then would accept it. No guarantees Colts would score anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I agree with the Goodson call. That's on Steichen. However, the receiving core is really bad. That's on Ballard. Even Pittman has off days. Look at Nico Collins. He was the only threat today and he dominated. Just another example of another team getting a no1 that turns out better than ours. Now we may not keep Pittman. He's a FA. We probably do, but you never know. Pierce is a bust at this point. Granson is useless with Minshew at QB, same with Pierce. We may be Downs to Pierce, Downs and junk at WR and have another desperate need at the position if we don't re-sign Pittman. Seems like this team always has a ton of needs every offseason. That's what happens when you pretty much only build through the draft. 

Wr has been a problem since Ballard has been here. No consistent 1; no body to pick up slack at 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I disagree to a point. Even Reggie Wayne took 3 years to break out. And he had Peyton throwing to him. If Pierce keeps dropping passes though by this time next year, boot him. 

but I look for some explosive weapons in the off season. We have a solid core, which is also on Ballard, we just need explosive weapons to go with  AR. 

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I think it's on Shane for not having his best offensive players on the field for that critical play, even as decoys. 

As for Pittman, I would imagine that Houston's DC schemed to make sure that our only legitimate receiving threat was accounted for on pivitol plays.

I get that argument and agree.  But in the end, regardless of players, someone was expected to do their job and they didn’t. Game over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I disagree to a point. Even Reggie Wayne took 3 years to break out. And he had Peyton throwing to him. If Pierce keeps dropping passes though by this time next year, boot him. 

but I look for some explosive weapons in the off season. We have a solid core, which is also in Ballard, we just need explosive weapons to go with  AR. 

Receivers break out quicker than 20 years ago though. It's a passing league now. We can't keep using the Reggie Wayne excuse. We have to adapt to the modern league that a lot of receivers of are breaking out in their first year. It's not the good old days anymore where Manning was an anomaly where his yardage totals were special. Today, it's a passing league, and receivers break out their rookie year. Most starting QBs pass for 4,000 yards if they play all year in this day and age now.

15 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I use the senior high school dropout comparison because that kid worked hard to get to his senior year. All they have to do is finish the last grade and they graduate. 12 years of hard work is a success and you get your diploma. Then you can focus on work, college, or whatever you choose. Instead, that kid drops out and takes two steps backward. That's the Colts. We had the playoffs in reach and put up a stinker. Took two steps back. Now we have to run it back with Richardson next year and hope it's not a rookie-type year where we have low expectations.

I appreciate you trying to explain but I still don’t think it’s that serious. I guess it’s just how you want to look at things. I called us missing the playoffs back when we lost the Bengals game. I knew the remaining schedule would be too tough to stack enough wins bc this team was not good enough. I overall enjoyed this season and was entertained. I don’t think the Colts regressed this year but instead took two steps forward. Still, changes need made but I don’t think firing Ballard should be one of them. Ballard and Steichen need to sit down and make some serious decisions about the coaching staff and roster. It’s time the team goes after game changers for this roster and surrounds AR with a better team to go for it all. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Season just ended, and you’re already in perfect form.   Your happy place.   Enjoy! 

The conversation turned to Ballard so I contributed pertinent information— his record. If me posting a GM’s record causes you to protect yourself and feelings with such pointed sarcasm, you might consider some time away from following Indy and CB. Or ignore my posts.  In any case, all the best!

7 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I appreciate you trying to explain but I still don’t think it’s that serious. I guess it’s just how you want to look at things. I called us missing the playoffs back when we lost the Bengals game. I knew the remaining schedule would be too tough to stack enough wins bc this team was not good enough. I overall enjoyed this season and was entertained. I don’t think the Colts regressed this year but instead took two steps forward. Still, changes need made but I don’t think firing Ballard should be one of them. Ballard and Steichen need to sit down and make some serious decisions about the coaching staff and roster. It’s time the team goes after game changers for this roster and surrounds AR with a better team to go for it all. 

Something tells me Shane will push for things that will have Ballard being far more aggressive than we have seen in the past. Infact, we’ve already seen Ballard do things that are atypical for him this season. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree, and moving on from Gus should be one the considerations, especially if an experienced & aggressive DC can be acquired to replace him - we gave up far too many soul crushing 3rd & 4th and longs this year, and failed to get consistent pressure on any of the QBs we faced.

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Something tells me Shane will push for things that will have Ballard being far more aggressive than we have seen in the past. Infact, we’ve already seen Ballard do things that are atypical for him this season. 

I agree! I think now that we finally have our offensive mixed coach paired with a QB on a rookie contract we will see a different approach.