Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq cap hit 2024

MikeCurtis

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This came up from some really brilliant poster on another thread :)

If (When) the Colts cut Shaq in the offseason, what is his cap hit in 2024?

If I'm reading this right, his cap hit is $8M in dead cap and $12M in cap savings if he's cut prior to 6/1.

(Not that I'm for cutting him unless it's shown he's not the player he once was.  We need playmakers on D)

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If I'm reading this right, his cap hit is $8M in dead cap and $12M in cap savings if he's cut prior to 6/1.

(Not that I'm for cutting him unless it's shown he's not the player he once was.  We need playmakers on D)

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts

Thanks !!  That what I thought but I wasnt sure.

I am a huge Shaq fan, but if there isnt any improvement to his current game, we do need to move on

• Like 6

Right now, he’s seen most of the time after the play made by “other LBs” on the squad. I hear his voice cheering more than I hear his hits, if you know what I’m saying. But then you do wonder if going from Eberflus to Bradley reduced his value to the Colts D.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Right now, he’s seen most of the time after the play made by “other LBs” on the squad. I hear his voice cheering more than I hear his hits, if you know what I’m saying. But then you do wonder if going from Eberflus to Bradley reduced his value to the Colts D.

For what it’s worth….

When Ballard hired Bradley he said a large part of the appeal is that Bradley’s defense is somewhat similar to Flus.   Simple, easy to pick up, giving the players the ability to play fast from the start.   So I don’t think the switch is hurting Shaq or anyone else.  I think what’s hurting Shaq is that he is getting back into game shape much more slowly than anyone would like.   Hoping for much improvement the rest of the way.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you watch his tape, it’s not the system.  He is very timid out there and avoids contact.  He is a shell of his former self.  To me it’s simple, if there is zero improvement for the rest of the season you must let him go.  Then use the money in free agency and sign our guys that will hit the market.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Its crazy how fast he went from one of the best in the game, to almost forgetting he's on the team this year. 

He was such an exciting player to watch. Those injuries robbed him off most of his prime. Such a shame... he was on a track to be a hall of famer. :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

If you watch his tape, it’s not the system.  He is very timid out there and avoids contact.  He is a shell of his former self.  To me it’s simple, if there is zero improvement for the rest of the season you must let him go.  Then use the money in free agency and sign our guys that will hit the market.

I mentioned a week or two ago the same  thing about avoiding contact.  Nor does he have the burst and explosion that he once had to make up for his errors.  Since the cap savings is greater after 6/1 I think the Colts may give him training camp next year to show he’s fully recovered. It also gives the Colts to see what they can find in the draft before cutting him loose. 

I wonder if any of you have "tried to get back to your previous selves" following ONE surgery - much less TWO - on an area of the body that is difficult to place a recovery timeline on?

Didn't think so.

I also feel that since the fans aren't paying Shaq's contract $$$ - then we should defer to those who see him in practice every single day - and - can appropriately assess his recovery and performance!!

Best wishes to Shaq Leonard!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

He was such an exciting player to watch. Those injuries robbed him off most of his prime. Such a shame... he was on a track to be a hall of famer. :( 

The only one being robbed now is the Colts organization. He doesn’t hit anymore for fear of an injury IMO. 

I still think it's too early to call him done, but I guess it's a fair question. He does need to play better than this to justify that contract.

In Eberflus' scheme he played solely as Will I believe? It seems Bradley is switching him between Will and Mike a lot.

Others are waiting for their chance. Going into week 8 Segun Olubi is STILL our highest graded defensive player, albeit on very limited snaps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I still think it's too early to call him done, but I guess it's a fair question. He does need to play better than this to justify that contract.

We may be stuck with a tough question......  What if he looks JUST like he does today thru Nov/Dec?

Do we bring him back?

I love the guy.....  Im a fan.....

Maybe we give him another camp......

He is making mucho $$$ for a Just another guy

And.......

How much better would our defense be if we had a better player in his spot

It's a shame what happened to him and having to watch him go through the struggles of being a shell of his former future Hall of Famer self. I love the guy to death but if he doesn't look head and shoulders above where he is now in 2023 by Training Camp 2024, I think it's time to face the hard truth and cut ties with him with that contract he signed and hasn't lived up to any of it. Chris Ballard has shown the ability to find talented linebackers in the draft and I'm confident he will be able to find another gem. Maybe not on the level of healthy Darius Leonard, but someone solid enough to help fill the void who will also fit in nicely with Speed and Franklin.

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

It's a shame what happened to him and having to watch him go through the struggles of being a shell of his former future Hall of Famer self. I love the guy to death but if he doesn't look head and shoulders above where he is now in 2023 by Training Camp 2024, I think it's time to face the hard truth and cut ties with him with that contract he signed and hasn't lived up to any of it. Chris Ballard has shown the ability to find talented linebackers in the draft and I'm confident he will be able to find another gem. Maybe not on the level of healthy Darius Leonard, but someone solid enough to help fill the void who will also fit in nicely with Speed and Franklin.

If he isn't pro bowl level at the end of the year,  they will restructure or cut him

8 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I wonder if any of you have "tried to get back to your previous selves" following ONE surgery - much less TWO - on an area of the body that is difficult to place a recovery timeline on?

Didn't think so.

I also feel that since the fans aren't paying Shaq's contract $$$ - then we should defer to those who see him in practice every single day - and - can appropriately assess his recovery and performance!!

Sorry. I love the guy too, but he’s been injured for quite some time now and is no longer special. As so many have already said, he’s tentative on the field and has lost a couple of steps. The Colts need his salary next year to pay the guys who are producing. He’ll still get a great payday next year after he’s cut, but gone he will be. 

15 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

We may be stuck with a tough question......  What if he looks JUST like he does today thru Nov/Dec?

Do we bring him back?

I love the guy.....  Im a fan.....

Maybe we give him another camp......

He is making mucho $$$ for a Just another guy

And.......

How much better would our defense be if we had a better player in his spot

If he doesn't improve over the rest of the season I'd definitely be thinking long and hard about trading him or whatever. I don't think Ballard is going to do that though.

Before the season started, I posted in here that he would start playing good around week 8 or 9, so I am on the cusp of that right now. The last 2 weeks he is looking better to me and faster. He had 5 tackles at Jacks, 3 last week vs the Browns + almost an intercepted a pass. 

Why anyone would expect him to play like he did in 2021 until he had many games under his belt, wasn't realistic. A few in here posted that he would never play another game, that alone has aged badly. Give it 2 or 3 more games and we will see where we are at.

• Like 3

I'd like to see his explosiveness/quickness come back, but I don't think his body will allow it.  He's made a few plays here and there but....most of the time he looks confused or lost.  I often wonder if it's his different responsibilities in the Cover 3 Gus Bradley scheme....opposed to the Eberflus Cover 2?  Either way, the quick twitch reaction isn't there physically.

Realistically, no team will trade anything of value for him.  They all see what we see.  I look for him to be a cap casualty after the season ends, unless restructuring (and I really have no idea on this) would benefit the team cap-wise and keep him happy.

8 minutes ago, Pat Curtis said:

I'd like to see his explosiveness/quickness come back, but I don't think his body will allow it.  He's made a few plays here and there but....most of the time he looks confused or lost.  I often wonder if it's his different responsibilities in the Cover 3 Gus Bradley scheme....opposed to the Eberflus Cover 2?  Either way, the quick twitch reaction isn't there physically.

Realistically, no team will trade anything of value for him.  They all see what we see.  I look for him to be a cap casualty after the season ends, unless restructuring (and I really have no idea on this) would benefit the team cap-wise and keep him happy.

He may never be the player he was in 2021 but he can still get back to the good level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I don't see him looking anything close to his old self until 2024 at the earliest (if he returns at all)

Gus sees him everyday in practice and knows his progress every day more than any of us fans do.  It’s still early to make a definite determination.  

On 10/28/2023 at 10:54 AM, sb41champs said:

Didn't think so.

He's got a few games left to prove what he's got, but if he continues with this level of production then it's gonna be hard to justify keeping him on the team for how big his cap hit is currently. I will say he's been more involved the last two weeks, which is nice to see.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:54 AM, sb41champs said:

Didn't think so.

You just provided more support for why he should be cut if he shows no improvement this year. What do you mean fans aren't paying his contract? Indirectly we are.  Through ticket sales, TV deals, merch sales.  Without fans pumping in the money, the owners and the players wouldn't make a dime ....So you're incredibly incorrect that the fans don't have a say when they're literally the fuel that keeps the fire burning.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He may never be the player he was in 2021 but he can still get back to the good level.

I agree he should get the entire season to show if he can at least be good again.  The problem is that Shaq was overpaid to begin with.  So even if he gets back to good but not great, he will still be way overpaid .  Some people don't want to hear that, but I digress.  A LB should not be your highest paid defensive player.  Not in today's NFL.  LBs are not nearly as valuable as they were in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.  

Been saying it for a loooong time, but Leonard is the highest paid cheerleader in the NFL. 

His play is ridiculously slow, and he's a liability. Opposing players just runs past him constantly. 

The majority of his tackles are him running into/shoulder blocking the pile after someone has already made contact.  

When Franklin and Speed are out there, the LB play is waaaaay better.

At least Ballard is good at picking LB's and he can get replaced next year. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 11:05 AM, TheEdgeis1 said:

^^^^^^THIS, this right here!^^^^^

• Like 1

I don't get the Colts games but I looked up his stats just now and in 7 games he has played he has zero sacks and thirteen tackles. The games I did receive I don't recall his name mentioned once. All this and I have not heard one mention of him in the talk shows. What is going on? Anyone?

Just now, King Colt said:

I don't get the Colts games but I looked up his stats just now and in 7 games he has played he has zero sacks and thirteen tackles. The games I did receive I don't recall his name mentioned once. All this and I have not heard one mention of him in the talk shows. What is going on? Anyone?

He's in unfamiliar territory, and playing in a scheme that doesn't really fit his strengths.

He is just shying away from contact, I can see that. A weird thought went through my head that he may retire at the end of this season. He is mentally and physically not there, IMO. It is almost like he is there after the fact, after the play is done, in that capacity. If the player runs into him, he will get him down or drag him down but rarely do you see him being aggressive or initiating it.

I don't see the progressive improvement of a guy who is supposed to be improving with every game, I just don't. Not making impactful plays in passing lanes, or in running lanes. The numbers don't lie.

• Like 1