Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does your mind shift with Minshew now

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Also tied a game Colts really should have won.  Missed more than one FG that should have been made and fired the kicker over it

This season we are winning the close games. In games 7 points or less we are 2-1 so far. Those type of games is what gives a team a winning record or a losing record. Usually on average, you have 8 of those. Then a team normally has 4 wins by more than 7, and 4 losses by more than 7. It is the 8 close games that a team needs to go 6-2 in. It is 17 games now but you get my point.

57 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Freeman and Lindley?

Remember that 2015 was the season we went through all those QBs.  Luck went down and Hasselback filled in admirably...until he went down.  We had "clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst, then Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley.  We beat the Titans in the finale by rotating Freeman & Lindley - each made some good plays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think a lot fans realize how good Richardson has been in the little time he has played. He had been so good.  He did not look like a rookie. 

For some reason there are a handful of people in here that don't realize how good AR has played. He is completing 59.5% of his passes which is technically 60%. He has 3 TD's passing - and only 1 INT and 1 fumble lost, and 4 Rushing TD's. He also led a monster comeback against the Rams, we did lose that game but still down 23-0 and he played flawlessly in that 2nd Half. Reminded me of Luck.

• Like 1

I feel just as confident in the team as I did when AR was in the saddle.  We are just missing that dynamic athlete, but replacing him with a more savvy passer.  We will miss that 3 pronged element to the ground game that AR provides when combined with Taylor, and Moss. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it has changed my outlook a little, but not much.

I still look forward to seeing the kids perform and how they progress on both sides of the ball.  There's still the excitement of seeing either/both RB's breaking a long one.

I still look forward to how SS calls a game.  Fourth downs aren't an automatic punt in the NFL in this era.  How does he plan to get Minshew some shots downfield to lose up the D? I fully expect a stacked box tomorrow.  Can he or Reggie fix Pierce?

Those are just a few things.  Winning matters, but there can still be improvement even in a win.  I'm looking at the bigger picture.  I can accept a loss when the other team beats us.  It's a rough week between games when we play like we did last year and we look completely inept.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

I feel just as confident in the team as I did when AR was in the saddle.  We are just missing that dynamic athlete, but replacing him with a more savvy passer.  We will miss that 3 pronged element to the ground game that AR provides when combined with Taylor, and Moss. 

Yeah, that said, it's really sad to think we may never see the full potential of this offense.

When the season began we were wondering how JT & AR would look together.  JT holds out, but Moss looks nearly as good.

Then JT signs and we wonder how great it will be just to wear down defenses by throwing two top tier running backs at them each play while sprinkling in a JT run or a shot over the top.

Now with AR maybe being toast for the remainder of the season and Moss more than likely moving to another team next year, we may never see the full potential of the 2023 offense.  Sad...

52 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Remember that 2015 was the season we went through all those QBs.  Luck went down and Hasselback filled in admirably...until he went down.  We had "clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst, then Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley.  We beat the Titans in the finale by rotating Freeman & Lindley - each made some good plays.

Oh yeah...my mind repressed that year.

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When the season started I think we all understood the number one thing was Richardson getting ready for 24. Now that it’s Minshew has your mind now shifted to wins are the number one priority. Because if we lose and don’t have Richardson we really haven’t accomplished anything.

I think I understand what you are asking. Winning is always important, but if the Colts did not win this year but Richardson showed progress and gave fans positive signs of things to come, it would be a positive year regardless of wins and losses. Now that Richardson is not playing, you are asking: what is the goal of the season. I say winning and possibly the continued develop the young players.

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I watched last season, I watched Scott Tolizen try to play QB, heck I watched Curtis freaking Painter.  I can handle watching Minshew and whatever comes with it.

You're a fan no matter what. :)

Curtis Painter is ridiculed so much by fans here. He reminds me a bit of how Vikings fans talk about Christian Ponder. At least the Colts did not use a first round pick on Painter. 

Lol. We called Ponder  "CP7". I see that Painter also wore #7 and can also be called CP7.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I think I understand what you are asking. Winning is always important but if the Colts did not win this year but Richardson showed progress and gave fans a sign of good things to come, it would be a positive year. Now that Richardson is not playing, what is the goal of the season. I say winning and possibly the continued develop the young players.

You're a fan no matter what. :)

Curtis Painter is ridiculed so much by fans here. He reminds me a bit of how Vikings fans talk about Christian Ponder. At least the Colts did not use a first round pick on Painter. 

Lol. I see that both can be called CP7, as they both wore #7 and their initials are CP.

Perfect. You said it better then I did. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When the season started I think we all understood the number one thing was Richardson getting ready for 24. Now that it’s Minshew has your mind now shifted to wins are the number one priority. Because if we lose and don’t have Richardson we really haven’t accomplished anything.

The team can't help the fact that Anthony Richardson got hurt.  

He'll still be getting mental reps and learning in the team meetings about game planning and other facets of the NFL game.

It's not "game reps" - but - it is still growth potential.

I'm wishing Gardner Minshew the very best in his new role as QB1 - for however long it lasts.

I believe firmly that Shane Steichen's knowledge of Minshew's skillset will help with gameday preparation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think a lot fans realize how good Richardson has been in the little time he has played. He had been so good.  He did not look like a rookie. 

I realize that Minshew has played a big part in each game the Colts have won this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I started a thread back in the summer that asked - what if Minshew wins games for us?  Then do we ever turn to AR if we’re in the playoff hunt.

i was assuming GM would start the season.  Now we know he’s playing for a while. 

Same question applies.  What if GM got us solidly in the playoff hunt when AR is ready?

you stick with minshew!

10 minutes ago, husker61 said:

you stick with minshew!

And he leads the Colts to a SB win, goes on to win five more SBs, plays until his mid 40s, marries a super model, and becomes the NFL’s greatest player.  

Or was that already done?  Nevermind…

• Thanks 1

I mean, we all want our guys to win. This year I really wanted AR to play and get actual game experience. I still wanted to win of course, but with that one stipulation AR had to be the guy.

I still want our guys to win, but this just kinda of makes it a 'meh' year for me. I feel like the team will lose out on valuable lessons because Minshew isn't the guy. Chemistry, timing and just the overall feel of what each player can expect from the others on offense. We've seen how that can affect a team of these past 7 years..

I will still be cheering as hard as ever for our guys on sundays, but...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason there are a handful of people in here that don't realize how good AR has played. He is completing 59.5% of his passes which is technically 60%. He has 3 TD's passing - and only 1 INT and 1 fumble lost, and 4 Rushing TD's. He also led a monster comeback against the Rams, we did lose that game but still down 23-0 and he played flawlessly in that 2nd Half. Reminded me of Luck.

I've been impressed but that 59.5% is nothing to write home about.

Screenshot_20231014-173112.jpg

• Like 1

I know that AR needs reps...both to improve and adjust, but also so we can see if he IS or ISNT the answer at QB...

BUT,  the fan in me ALWAYS wants to win...so there's been a part of me that has wanted Minshew to start the entire year and let AR learn from watching, this season.  We have been bad, long enough, that if we dont have a good season soon the fan base will start to dwindle due to being let down and feeling hopeless... the last time that happened/it was this bad, we were drafting Peyton Manning away from being the LA Colts...  I do NOT want us to suck to the point of losing fans and relocating, no matter what.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I've been impressed but that 59.5% is nothing to write home about.

Screenshot_20231014-173112.jpg

Let's go to clown school.

So if Rookie AR, 4 games in, had completed 7 more passes out of his 84 attempts he would be your Super Hero. That would give him a higher completion % than Mahomes. HAHAHA! 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Let's go to clown school.

So if Rookie AR, 4 games in, had completed 7 more passes out of his 84 attempts he would be your Super Hero. That would give him a higher completion % than Mahomes. HAHAHA! 

No. It's true that it's a small sample size and not that meaningful but the post I responded to cited Richardson's 59.5% completion percentage as evidence of how well he's played. That just isn't a good percentage anymore. Sure, it will hopefully improve and it's early in the season. But the league leaders are over 70% and 59,5% is 32nd best. It may not mean much but it still can't be used as evidence of how well he's played. That's all I'm saying. 

no team historically has really ever accomplished much with a rookie qb at the helm. this season has always been a showcase type of year. 

so far, im thrilled with what ive seen from the rookies, and 2nd year players. the only person i can really come out and say i've been disappointed with is alec pierce. 

shaq leonard seems a step slower than he used to be, and is still playing timid. 

but other than that, this is an exciting team to watch that plays with energy.. Our secondary has been getting cooked, and probably will until the last quarter of the season. 

i expect us to be in a lot of exciting games, but ultimately falter against the better teams like the chiefs, eagles, bills, cowboys, dolphins

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

No. It's true that it's a small sample size and not that meaningful but the post I responded to cited Richardson's 59.5% completion percentage as evidence of how well he's played. That just isn't a good percentage anymore. Sure, it will hopefully improve and it's early in the season. But the league leaders are over 70% and 59,5% is 32nd best. It may not mean much but it still can't be used as evidence of how well he's played. That's all I'm saying. 

My point was, most in here didn't think he would be completing 60% of his passes. Based on what he did in college. He has far exceeded many peoples  expectations in here so far. He is just a rookie so comparing his % to veterans is not fair. Being a rookie, Nobody in here thought he would be completing 70% of his passes. As well as Stroud has played, he is just at 61.3%. 59.5 and 61.3% isn't much of a difference.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 9:21 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But each Colts win needed Minshew to help.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

As evidence of how completion percentages are rising look at this list of the NFL's All-Time Top 8 QBs in career completion percentage. All recent guys and seven are current players. 

Screenshot_20231014-223405.jpg

Soooo...how important is this stat? There's only one Super Bowl winner in this group.

On 10/13/2023 at 5:53 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Win..I don't care who the QB is.

minshew is great at high percentage passes , he can take us down the field 5 yards at a time. we dont have a deep threat receiver anyway, we have to face it ar with a throwing shoulder injury may never play again, minshew is good enough to win it all

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

ar has had a lot of dropped passes, minshew throws a softer easy catch pass but both qbs are good enough to win, we can win our division with minshew

I want the Colts to figure out if Minshew can be a Franchise QB.  I want them to figure out really soon.  If Minshew isn't it then we need to hopefully draft top 5 next year and get an insurance policy for AR.  I don't think AR can make a comeback from this shoulder injury if he needs surgery.  

5 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

I want the Colts to figure out if Minshew can be a Franchise QB.  I want them to figure out really soon.  If Minshew isn't it then we need to hopefully draft top 5 next year and get an insurance policy for AR.  I don't think AR can make a comeback from this shoulder injury if he needs surgery.  

I’m confused.  There’s already tape out there to suggest he is a backup. 

Well Shewie and team are having a hard time today scoring.  What exactly is the problem?  Where are the big tight ends that can go out and catch?  Pierce is not doing that great.  Coach needs to change the game plan.  We better get goin in the 2nd half!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@Restinpeacesweetchloe @2006Coltsbestever

Just like we felt, if we go down 2 TDs or more, Minshew will have a hard time bringing us back throwing 40 plus times, that’s where we will miss some dynamic play making of AR. Hopefully we do a 180 on offense in the second half 

Oh I don't like what I am seeing in the 1st half but if we do lose, we are still 3-3 with a favorable schedule coming up. The turnovers have killed us. Mustache is usually good at ball control; he is human and isn't Mr ball control today.