Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Watching a few talking heads this afternoon….

There are a few teams that a player like JT MIGHT put that team into the Super Bowl

Miami, Dallas, Buffalo, Chargers, Baltimore

These fan bases have waited a long time to reach the big game

JT is at or near his peak…Today

The Colts are NOT near their peak, we probably will not be there next year either…..

The “math” averages say that a RB loses that edge year 5-6.

JT may be sooner as he had a ton of carry’s  in college

I am coming around to the fact that the Colts may be OK  2-3 years from now if we use the pick or picks wisely from a JT trade

ballard has a bad history with draft picks, his win loss record says it all

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Start with PUP, and make it clear that if he's not ready to go in four weeks, we're considering IR. And that would come with an injury split, so his $4.3m goes down to something like $1m.

How does that work? Do you mean injury settlement and getting him cut? Because that's very likely one of his better options - yes, he will lose 3M in pay but he will be able to go wherever he wants and get paid by that team. Hell, he very likely will get more than those 3M for this year alone. 

I don't think this is good outcome at all. 

2 minutes ago, bsteves said:

Seeing how little compensation some of you would accept for Taylor blows my mind...

I think I saw a 2nd and a rookie 3rd round RB, a 3rd and a good player, a 2nd and a late rounder?!?!? Lol what is wrong with you people?

RBs arent as valuable its that simple

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Eagles are who he could help the fastest. He'd come in there already knowing the playbook and the protections. He could be an impact right away.

I wouldn't trade him to the Eagles just for the fact Howie Roseman is notorious for fleecing people in trades haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bsteves said:

Seeing how little compensation some of you would accept for Taylor blows my mind...

I think I saw a 2nd and a rookie 3rd round RB, a 3rd and a good player, a 2nd and a late rounder?!?!? Lol what is wrong with you people?

most likely we’re looking to trade that pick to move up and grab an impact player.  This team will most likely pick top 10.  If we can switch spots in the first and give up the second we traded for, we could possibly move up and get a Marvin Harrison Jr for AR.  Whatever high pick we get from the trade will most likely be shopped.  At least that’s how I’m seeing it.

Would you trade a first-round pick for Jonathan Taylor? And how much do you think a contract extension would factor into a potential deal?

(Former NFL GM Randy) Mueller: There’s no way I’d trade a first-round pick. No way, regardless of an extension. And an extension is 100 percent reflective of the compensation you’ll get. No one’s giving the Colts anything on a one-year deal. Maybe you could get a third- or fourth-round pick on a one-year rental, but you could get a lot more than that if he’s willing to sign a long-term deal. But we don’t even know what this guy wants money-wise. Obviously, it was never on the Colts’ radar to pay him a lot of money anyway, at least not now.

From: https://theathletic.com/4801660/2023/08/24/jonathan-taylor-trade-colts-mueller?source=user-shared-article

• Like 2

How much do you think Taylor’s absence could affect the development of Anthony Richardson?

Former GM replies:

Mueller: I would say for me, they’re totally independent. JT’s future does not reflect on Anthony Richardson. It’s no longer a league where you need a back to run between the tackles and get 25 carries a game. Anthony Richardson has to stand on his own. They picked him fourth in the first round, so he can either play or he can’t. JT’s not gonna make the difference in Anthony Richardson’s career, in my opinion. … I’m not saying that in a disrespectful manner to JT. I’m just saying that Anthony Richardson has to sink or swim on his own. Jonathan Taylor would be great to have, but Shane Steichen is a good coach. They’ll find a way to scheme around it. On a scale of one to 10, my concern level is about a six.

From: https://theathletic.com/4801660/2023/08/24/jonathan-taylor-trade-colts-mueller?source=user-shared-article

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bsteves said:

Well, a 3rd should be high enough to draft his replacement. 👋 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

How does that work? Do you mean injury settlement and getting him cut? Because that's very likely one of his better options - yes, he will lose 3M in pay but he will be able to go wherever he wants and get paid by that team. Hell, he very likely will get more than those 3M for this year alone. 

I don't think this is good outcome at all. 

Did some digging.

NFL players who are on IR (injured reserve) will get paid, but how much money they ultimately receive is highly dependent on the details of their individual contracts.

Players with fully guaranteed contracts will receive the full compensation they were promised in their contract. In the NFL, only powerful players with lots of leverage generally receive fully guaranteed contracts. 

For players without fully guaranteed contracts, they will still receive some money while on IR, but it’s generally only a fraction of their regular salary. After all, they weren’t available to perform their duty as a player.

That’s also assuming the player suffered an injury while performing football activities, like playing or practicing. If a player seriously hurts themselves doing something else, like snowboarding in the offseason, then there’s no guarantee from the team that the contract will be honored at all.

Young players with split contracts may also earn money while on IR, but their compensation levels are often tied to whether or not they are on the active 53-man roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So let's say Taylor is thinking Indy won't hang on to him because if they do.....He well not play until week 8, then play the last half the year, rack up his accrued season played, and head to FA or TAG war....

If that is the direction this heads, vs. Trade....  what is Ballard/Irsay's move?  Is there one?  Do you just play him the second half?  Is there a path to telling him, "no thanks, here's your 4.3 mil, we aren't really worried about year accrual?" 

6 hours ago, bsteves said:

No one will give a big haul for a rb on an expiring contract.  Id take a second and wouldnt even be mad.

You just cant get much for one years worth of a rb

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Creekside said:

Does this not prove that Taylor is now 100% healthy?

Of course not. Taylor wanted a big guaranteed laced contract from us, and has used maximum pressure including fan and peer, to get it. All without taking his physical, that he was asked to come in for. 

The rubber Now hits the road whether he can pass another team's physical.

Perhaps you are new to this. Trades do fall through because of failed physicals.

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Today is the day we were playing against bears and found out Luck was retiring. We better not see Taylor on the sideline and get breaking news Taylor has been traded.

Fans were blindsided by the Luck news. At this point with JT, I think many folks have washed their hands off him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally would not give up JT up unless I get at least 1ST round pick. If it's Miami, a 2nd and Hunt who is a good O.Lineman. We better get something that is good. Otherwise I would not trade him.

Well, we're not getting a 1st round pick.  Not for a 1 year rental who is holding out for an above-market extension -- especially given his uncertain health situation.

But I also think there's a non-zero chance he doesn't play this year if we don't trade him.  If that's the case, then we may as well get what we can for him.  And I'm thinking that a decent IOL would be as helpful as anything for us.  Our O-Line depth is scary bad right now...and the last thing anybody wants to see is our new rookie QB running for his life all year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, we're not getting a 1st round pick.  Not for a 1 year rental who is holding out for an above-market extension -- especially given his uncertain health situation.

But I also think there's a non-zero chance he doesn't play this year if we don't trade him.  If that's the case, then we may as well get what we can for him.  And I'm thinking that a decent IOL would be as helpful as anything for us.  Our O-Line depth is scary bad right now...and the last thing anybody wants to see is our new rookie QB running for his life all year.

Who's 2023's Ryan Grigson? 

37 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Of course not. Taylor wanted a big guaranteed laced contract from us, and has used maximum pressure including fan and peer, to get it. All without taking his physical, that he was asked to come in for. 

The rubber Now hits the road whether he can pass another team's physical.

Perhaps you are new to this. Trades do fall through because of failed physicals.

But does Taylor not know whether or not he will pass a physical?....Does he not know if he is healthy, and good to go? 

I know this conversation has moved on to compensation for a trade, but I’m still incredulous as to how it got to this point.

We went from Ballard calling JT a top 5 weapon in the league, to not even offering an extension to show he’s valued.

JT wanted to “retire a Colt”, to wanting out of the franchise by any means. Even by playing up an “injured” ankle and sulking around practice.

We are missing a puzzle piece that will hopefully come out when this guy is traded. I’m over it at this point. Trade to the highest bidder and focus on developing ARich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Today is the day we were playing against bears and found out Luck was retiring. We better not see Taylor on the sideline and get breaking news Taylor has been traded.

I think it would be great actually.  Would rather he stays but if we are going to trade him breaking the news during the game would be alright with me.  The game is on Prime video so the tv audience will be larger than normal.  I will be able to watch it.  So I’m happy.

• Like 1