Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

Not frequently the dirty route JT and his agent took and then the organization draws a line in the sand only to cave...it is a bad move for future negotiations. 

It was only a crazy situation of you believed the team wasn't wanting to pay him from the start.  This was nowhere NEAR the storyline it was built up to be.  It was always about timing and trust.  Not lack of wanting to sign a new deal.   That doesn't generate clicks at the same rate though....

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Bad contract in my opinion, he isn’t worth 10+ million 

Cool story.

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

Not frequently the dirty route JT and his agent took and then the organization draws a line in the sand only to cave...it is a bad move for future negotiations. 

No it isn't.   But if it makes you feel better.   Sure

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

It was only a crazy situation of you believed the team wasn't wanting to pay him from the start.  This was nowhere NEAR the storyline it was built up to be.  It was always about timing and trust.  Not lack of wanting to sign a new deal.   That doesn't generate clicks at the same rate though....

Cool story.

Not much of a story

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No it isn't.   But if it makes you feel better.   Sure

If you don't think other agents and players are taking note of how this played out and adjusting expectations and tatics accordingly you are naive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Every player isn't an all pro talent.   

They don't have to be an all pro talent to use this as a template. JT was an all pro that hasn't been playing to that level recently, had injury concerns, and played a an easily filled position. A player at a premium position will only have to be good (not all pro) to apply a similar strategy.

• Like 1

Just now, esmort said:

They don't have to be an all pro talent to use this as a template. JT was an all pro that hasn't been playing to that level recently, had injury concerns, and played a an easily filled position. A player at a premium position will only have to be good (not all pro) to apply a similar strategy.

I didn't know you were in so many NFL negotiations.   My apologies 

I'm a little surprised that they did this so soon. But it's what Ballard and Irsay said they wanted to do all along, which is keep JT. I just was thinking they'd let him at least play a game first...

Not thrilled about the potential precedent it sets. But it does shut down all the stuff about the Colts being unfair, lying, trying to get him to play injured, relationship is damaged beyond repair, etc. 

The value of the contract is about what I would have expected. I think my prediction was three years, $40m. Looking forward to seeing the details.

And now he's activated, and is likely to play tomorrow. Even if he doesn't, there's no concern about him manipulating the situation any further. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

I could say the same. Also...contracts, leverage, and precedent aren't exclusive to the NFL.

Im on record saying I wouldn’t mind if JT walked if he asked for too much.  Did I like how handled this, no.  But negotiations in this age with social media is a very ugly thing.  Look at the Lamar situation, same result, it’s nothing new.  JT isn’t the first to make his negotiations ugly and he won’t be the last.  

Only thing I don’t like about the negotiations is the fog around JTs injury, but with how this played out I’m thinking the injury was legit.  

But honestly, what did you think we were going to do?  He’s our best player on offense.  Excluding AR, he’s our ONLY dynamic player.  AR is on his rookie deal, when your QB is on his rookie contract, this is when you spend the money because later you can’t.  Personally, I knew the deal was going to get done, I just didn’t want us to overpay.  Highest I would’ve gone was $13/year and he signed for $14/yr.  Other than that, I’m a happy colts fan.