Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR out with concussion

csmopar

Jags fan here.
As a Gator fan living here in Jacksonville who has seen both Richardson and Minshew live, I believe I can weigh the characteristics of each.

Richardson:
1. Raw, but insanely gifted.
2. Inconsistent, and sometimes perplexing decision making.
3. Goes often into 'hero ball' mode, sometimes to his detriment.
4. Didnt read defenses well at UF, but compensated by #3 above.
5. Puzzlingly inaccurate at times.

Minshew:
1. Average, accurate arm
2. Above avg football IQ (had a different OC every year here with the Jags)
3. The Stache
4. Veteran leader

It really comes down to whether or not the team is in win now, or win later mode. AR is clearly a project who may end up being the next RG3 if he continues to run at the first sign of pressure, or he may end up as the next Lamar Jackson if the impulsiveness and inaccuracy can be coached out of him.  I fear someone is going to end up popping him like Cisco did (and who should have been flagged/tossed) and he's going to end up as the 2023 version of 2022 Tua.   You guys are good enough to win with Minshew this year, which may end up happening anyway if yesterday's game is any indication.

Not saying anything here that hasn't been said before on this and other threads, just my 2 cents.  Thanks for reading.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Not a dumb question. Technically yes, it helps. And it's the very reason all QBs wear red jerseys now. The position is just too important to carelessly throw them out in practice and take major hits. 

He has to have no concussion symptoms to practice so we will see. But it does seem it’s likelier he will get 3 full practices in since he is a QB and not another position.

17 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Would Cam Newton even be Cam Newton?  I am guessing they are taking concussions more seriously now and making sure players aren't just ignoring them.

Cam could play that physical style like that. Richardsons body is telling him early that may not be the type of style that's fit for him. It's no knock on his toughness. He is getting shaken up with every direct collision. He needs to slide and avoid more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Cam could play that physical style like that. Richardsons body is telling him early that may not be the type of style that's fit for him. It's no knock on his toughness. He is getting shaken up with every direct collision. He needs to slide and avoid more.

Hopefully this is his welcome to the league moment and he realizes the value in protecting himself.

He was going to find out sooner or later this isn’t college where someone his size can crush defenders. They’re just too big in the NFL.

39 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm just saying it could be possible that he ignored or played through concussion symptoms back then because we didn't treat it as seriously.

I hope that they are being really precautious with him on this.  If he needs any additional time to recover, and to avoid the whole subsequent concussions are likelier issue, then I would not mind him sitting out a game or two or even more.  

even if it is a mild concussion, i hope they don't rush him back 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cbear said:

Yep. I don't know what he was thinking, but it seemed like he sort of relaxed a bit as he was about to cross the goal line. Like he expected the defender to pull up possibly. Bet he never does that again. 

You know, you’re right. It does appear that he let up just before the goal line.

A running QB is like fresh meat to a lion:rawr:

AR, if you have to run, run hard!

Learn from your running backs.

You are going to be hit, so don’t turn into a limp noodle before the play is over.

Go, Colts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am watching the McAfee Show, he and Schefter both said his concussion is mild. That is the report Schefty got. He also said he was told it was more like whiplash. My guess is he will probably be cleared to play in a few days. If not, not the end of the world. Minshew is good enough to play a game or 2 if need be. He filled in nice yesterday. 

AR's injury yesterday was more of a fluke than anything, it really doesn't say anything that he isn't going to be durable. The injury was his fault, he should have just ran through the TD run instead of slowing down - he will learn from it. It happened when the back of his head hit the turf because he was relaxed. The NFL is a different animal and players will hit you any chance they get, dirty or not.

ESPN actually let McAfee say the S word (instead of crap), they never let that happen chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Not a dumb question. Technically yes, it helps. And it's the very reason all QBs wear red jerseys now. The position is just too important to carelessly throw them out in practice and take major hits. 

Players tend to play as they practice. AR forgot he wasn't wearing a red shirt in a real NFL game. I hope AR survives his rookie mistakes and realizes that, unlike many guys his age, he is not a superhero or immortal.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am watching the McAfee Show, he and Schefter both said his concussion is mild. That is the report Schefty got. He also said he was told it was more like whiplash. My guess is he will probably be cleared to play in a few days. If not, not the end of the world. Minshew is good enough to play a game or 2 if need be. He filled in nice yesterday. 

AR's injury yesterday was more of a fluke than anything, it really doesn't say anything that he isn't going to be durable. The injury was his fault, he should have just ran through the TD run instead of slowing down - he will learn from it. It happened when the back of his head hit the turf because he was relaxed. The NFL is a different animal and players will hit you any chance they get, dirty or not.

ESPN actually let McAfee say the S word (instead of crap), they never let that happen chuckling homer simpson GIF

/s

Clearly you didn't see the movie Youngblood.  Patrick swayze's character was out of the league from the same situation.  Junior hockey so he hit his head on ice but still...

/s

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

/s

Clearly you didn't see the movie Youngblood.  Patrick swayze's character was out of the league from the same situation.  Junior hockey so he hit his head on ice but still...

/s

Never said it was good that he hit his head on the turf, obviously it isn't good at all but it wasn't near the impact that Tua's was. You hit your head wrong, it can knock you out. After his play happened, AR jumped up and was walking fine and even played another series. Lets hope it doesn't happen again but in this case from what I have been hearing and reading, his injury yesterday isn't that bad.

Who knows though, maybe the guy will come out in a neck brace and miss 4 weeks  lmao .

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So the report says his “ concussion is mild”, huh? 
Was that from the same Doctor that gave the “Ok”  to allow Tua to keep playing after his first incident.

:thinking:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mighty Blue said:

So the report says his “ concussion is mild”, huh? 
Was that from the same Doctor that gave the “Ok”  to allow Tua to keep playing after his first incident.

:thinking:

I have no idea. Just going by what I have been hearing and I watched Tua's (first injury) and AR's play when they got injured. Tua's looked way worse, then again maybe I need glasses, I am getting old.

Just thought I would comment on what I heard and give my 2 cents. If some in here think his injury is bad, then that is their opinion, and they can worry about it all week. If some think AR won't be durable because of this, that is their opinion as well. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never said it was good that he hit his head on the turf, obviously it isn't good at all but it wasn't near the impact that Tua's was. You hit your head wrong, it can knock you out. After his play happened, AR jumped up and was walking fine and even played another series. Lets hope it doesn't happen again but in this case from what I have been hearing and reading, his injury yesterday isn't that bad.

Who knows though, maybe the guy will come out in a neck brace and miss 4 weeks  lmao .

I was just kidding.  I don’t think a cheesy 90s hockey movie is a reliable resource.  Lol

24 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I was just kidding.  I don’t think a cheesy 90s hockey movie is a reliable resource.  Lol

I knew you were playing around because the movie is cheesy. I think I have seen it but it has been like 30 years ago. Rob Lowe is in it if I remember right haha . Many people may not know this but Lowe is a diehard Colts fan. Has been since the Peyton days.

3 hours ago, newjagscity said:

Jags fan here.
As a Gator fan living here in Jacksonville who has seen both Richardson and Minshew live, I believe I can weigh the characteristics of each.

Richardson:
1. Raw, but insanely gifted.
2. Inconsistent, and sometimes perplexing decision making.
3. Goes often into 'hero ball' mode, sometimes to his detriment.
4. Didnt read defenses well at UF, but compensated by #3 above.
5. Puzzlingly inaccurate at times.

Minshew:
1. Average, accurate arm
2. Above avg football IQ (had a different OC every year here with the Jags)
3. The Stache
4. Veteran leader

It really comes down to whether or not the team is in win now, or win later mode. AR is clearly a project who may end up being the next RG3 if he continues to run at the first sign of pressure, or he may end up as the next Lamar Jackson if the impulsiveness and inaccuracy can be coached out of him.  I fear someone is going to end up popping him like Cisco did (and who should have been flagged/tossed) and he's going to end up as the 2023 version of 2022 Tua.   You guys are good enough to win with Minshew this year, which may end up happening anyway if yesterday's game is any indication.

Not saying anything here that hasn't been said before on this and other threads, just my 2 cents.  Thanks for reading.

I wish we had pegged Minshew as our full time starter for this year... Either drafted best NON QB at #4 or traded for picks next year, in a much better QB class.   I think, personally, that our offense looks better with Minshew as QB.  Maybe not as "exciting", much more consistent! 

I also agree that I feel AR will have a very short career...hopefully I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I hate to say this but if Richardson doesn’t learn how to protect himself from injury the Colts may have to make the tough decision to draft a top QB next year if they’re in position. 

The bad thing is...and reason i didnt want to draft AR... what makes him "HIM" and "special" are the same traits that are getting him hurt... if you change his game too much, he becomes a very below average pocket passer...and if you dont, he is injured and has a short career

What the colts need to do is show film how Luck and the Great Bert Jones played......reckless and taking NFL Defensemen hits unnecessary. And then point out how their careers were much shorter than it should have been. 

Tough QB's  are not tougher than defensive players. 

He needs to play smart and the entire organization relies on him playing for 15 years. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I understand everyone’s concern about his concussion, rightfully so. However I think there may be a bit of an overreaction about his durability and longevity.

First game, he didn’t protect himself and paid for it. Second game learned his lesson as he was making calculated risks and was ok until he underestimated how fast the defender was coming.  

Josh Allan yesterday unnecessarily leaped towards the end zone into two defenders to try and get a touchdown. THAT to me is reckless. It’s honestly his forte and he does that that stuff often. Cam would go out seeking contact trying to run over people. I don’t see that yet from him. Honest mistake.

Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out before categorizing his trajectory as why running QB’s don’t last. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have no idea. Just going by what I have been hearing and I watched Tua's (first injury) and AR's play when they got injured. Tua's looked way worse, then again maybe I need glasses, I am getting old.

Just thought I would comment on what I heard and give my 2 cents. If some in here think his injury is bad, then that is their opinion, and they can worry about it all week. If some think AR won't be durable because of this, that is their opinion as well. Only time will tell.

I thought it was similar to the Tua concussion.  Falling backwards and back of the head hitting the turf hard.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think I found the play at 2:39 left to go in the 2nd quarter, friendly fire when Fries head collides with Kelly. It looks minor, but that is the only play I see it could be. 

Yeah Steichen said today it happened at the end of the half. Crazy because you don’t hear of lineman getting concussions  often.

If you watch AR’s first touchdown run, he lets up at the goal line that time too. I think it’s an unfortunate reflection of sports these days, where guys anticipate going into celebration mode because end zone dances etc have become such a thing. ESPN will show guys dancing in the end zone but not the play that got them there. I would guess AR won’t make this mistake again. I was up off my couch on his runs and can’t wait for him to get back on the field. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I knew you were playing around because the movie is cheesy. I think I have seen it but it has been like 30 years ago. Rob Lowe is in it if I remember right haha . Many people may not know this but Lowe is a diehard Colts fan. Has been since the Peyton days.

Its cheesy but I still love it.  Yes, Rob Lowe is the star.   

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m old too, LOL! You were fine to post what you did.

Sometimes, what we hear from those reporters is premature information.

I would like to ask AR, “ Dude how do you feel right now? Do you have a headache? Who do you play for? Do you have double vision? Do you remember promising giving Mighty Blue 1 million dollars?

Are you seeing ghosts?” :facepalm:

Anyway, thank goodness we have an experienced back-up QB.

Get better soon, AR.

Good job, Mr. Minshew:cheer2:

• Like 2

That didn't take long did it.  This is a grown man's league with a lot of players who envy what QBs make.  Most of those guys on defense for example.  So running needs to be judicious if you want a long career as a QB.  If you're gonna run, running to buy time to throw is best, but always being careful to avoid hits is key.  This is why I say winning from the pocket is paramount for a long career.

One thing I detest, as well, is when coaches use a QB's mobility early on to move the chains.  This can shorten their life span considerably.  Which is why I also say that sitting the QB until they're ready is the best way to go.  These guys are too valuable to risk if they have to compensate for a lack of reading and decision making by tapping into that run threat.  As great as this kid is running the ball we are doing him a disservice trotting him out there when he's still putting the most crucial part of his game together still.

It's funny seeing the hypocrisy from some of the posters. There were many that complained because AR didn't play against the Bears in pre season. "He needs game action".."makes 0 sense not to play him".."he needs the reps"....blah blah blah. Now, some of these same posters say he shouldn't play against the Ravens even if he passes concussion protocol and is cleared to play.:facepalm:

The assumption on Richardson’s career seems to be that 1.  He’s at his ceiling and will not continue to grow beyond his 13 games in college, and 2. He won’t learn how to protect his body and continue to take unnecessary hits against his coaches wishes.  I mean, come on, we give every other player the benefit of the doubt that he’ll improve, until he doesn’t.  AR was supposedly drafted as a project who would take time to develop, and that’s all we heard throughout the summer.  But in just 5 quarters at the highest level of football, he’s already surpassed expectations, and some here seem to be nervously looking for any negative they can find.  Wondering if the people who don’t want to see him succeed are living in your heads.  Imagine if the risk the Colts took in the draft actually pays off.  Trust me, opposing fan bases are getting nervous.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Breeze said:

The assumption on Richardson’s career seems to be that 1.  He’s at his ceiling and will not continue to grow beyond his 13 games in college, and 2. He won’t learn how to protect his body and continue to take unnecessary hits against his coaches wishes.  I mean, come on, we give every other player the benefit of the doubt that he’ll improve, until he doesn’t.  AR was supposedly drafted as a project who would take time to develop, and that’s all we heard throughout the summer.  But in just 5 quarters at the highest level of football, he’s already surpassed expectations, and some here seem to be nervously looking for any negative they can find.  Wondering if the people who don’t want to see him succeed are living in your heads.  Imagine if the risk the Colts took in the draft actually pays off.  Trust me, opposing fan bases are getting nervous.

Well said, Breeze!

6 hours ago, Mighty Blue said:

I’m old too, LOL! You were fine to post what you did.

Sometimes, what we hear from those reporters is premature information.

I would like to ask AR, “ Dude how do you feel right now? Do you have a headache? Who do you play for? Do you have double vision? Do you remember promising giving Mighty Blue 1 million dollars?

Are you seeing ghosts?” :facepalm:

Anyway, thank goodness we have an experienced back-up QB.

Get better soon, AR.

Good job, Mr. Minshew:cheer2:

I was being sarcastic about the old and glasses part lol. We will just see how the week plays out. Hey if you get him to pay you a million dollars, you may be on to something :funny: