Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR out with concussion

csmopar

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Last week Ogletree walked off the field waving to everyone like he was fine.  He cleared concussion protocols early enough to practice later in the week.  But they still kept him inactive today.

Maybe they were comfortable with MAC, KG, and Mallory and didn't think they needed him.  Or maybe they error to the side of caution.  

He is the future, they probably won't take any chances with him.  Unless he's clearly ... clear..., they may sit him again.  Especially the way Minshew played.

Its like there is an unwritten rule, one must miss, at minimum, the next game, with any concussion whatsoever. I fully expect AR5 and Kelly to be out at Ravens

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

After having elite QBs for decades, it has been only 4 years break and the QB looks promising, is this a curse?

Jets getting Rodgers and seeing him injured in first drive is being cursed.

Richardson got one concussion, and that's being cursed?

When you get Richardson as QB, you've got to make up your mind that his shelf life is not long, unless he becomes very good as a passer. And, he's doing very much fine being a passer as well.

This concussion is part of the learning process for him, and he'll get better. But, it's far from a curse. 

Well said. Cursed are the Jets or Lions.

29 minutes ago, cbear said:

Yep. I don't know what he was thinking, but it seemed like he sort of relaxed a bit as he was about to cross the goal line. Like he expected the defender to pull up possibly. Bet he never does that again. 

Yep, noticeably slowed as he approached the goal line so probably wasn’t totally prepared for the hit. This was potentially a costly lesson as concussions seem to be additive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Has to learn to protect himself.  He does the Colts no good if he can’t finish games.  Two games two games he’s failed to finish due to injury.  That is very bad.  This also isn’t Andrew Luck where the line isn’t protecting him this is 100% on him.  

I’ll say the Colts would be wise to extend Minshew because I think as long as Richardson is the QB you are going to need a high end back up like Minshew.

Agree completely - this injury was totally on Richardson. He let up around the 5 and allowed the contact to happen. He took an unnecessary hit that did not need to happen. 

He has to (and will) learn to protect himself. 

• Like 6

I hope he is okay, gotta learn and navigate the waters of a running nfl qb

unfortunately this is the risk but thats why he is unique, I trust him to improve on this

also don’t forget, this is a 21-22 year old who excelled physically everywhere he ever played, he is finding out where he is on the food chain in the nfl but I like his chances

• Like 1

This is why I say Ballard must get JT signed to a new contract and get him on the field. Richardson won’t be running half as much as he is now and hopefully, JT will be his old self running for 10+ yards every touch. Defenses would be guessing on who is going to run it next. 

12 minutes ago, HP Colt said:

This is why I say Ballard must get JT signed to a new contract and get him on the field. Richardson won’t be running half as much as he is now and hopefully, JT will be his old self running for 10+ yards every touch. Defenses would be guessing on who is going to run it next. 

Moss ran very well today and the Colts had no problem opening holes for him.  It’s just who AR is.  He’s Cam Newton 2.0.  His running makes him special but it’s also exposes him to injuries regardless of the ground game behind him.  Like Lawerence told him last take care of himself, players hit different in the league.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Moss ran very well today and the Colts had no problem opening holes for him.  It’s just who AR is.  He’s Cam Newton 2.0.  His running makes him special but it’s also exposes him to injuries regardless of the ground game behind him.  Like Lawerence told him last take care of himself, players hit different in the league.

AR has a long, long, long way to go before being mentioned in same comparison as Cam. Cam took his team to a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Just now, JColts72 said:

AR has a long, long, long way to go before being mentioned in same comparison as Cam. Cam took his team to a Super Bowl.

:facepalm: Let me be clear, he’s the same style of player as Cam Newton.  That’s clearly what the Colts are hoping he will develop into.  That’s also pretty clear that was my point not that he’s there now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HP Colt said:

He has NEVER ran it 10+ yards every touch 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

:facepalm: Let me be clear, he’s the same style of player as Cam Newton.  That’s clearly what the Colts are hoping he will develop into.  That’s also pretty clear that was my point not that he’s there now.

Ugh cam sucked

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

After having elite QBs for decades, it has been only 4 years break and the QB looks promising, is this a curse?

Jets getting Rodgers and seeing him injured in first drive is being cursed.

Richardson got one concussion, and that's being cursed?

When you get Richardson as QB, you've got to make up your mind that his shelf life is not long, unless he becomes very good as a passer. And, he's doing very much fine being a passer as well.

This concussion is part of the learning process for him, and he'll get better. But, it's far from a curse. 

ballard needs to get jt back to take the pressure off the run game

14 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard needs to get jt back to take the pressure off the run game

Not exactly sure what you mean and I might be wrong but I think you mean get JT back so AR doesn’t feel the need to run as much?

If so that’s not going to change AR.  Running is who he is and what makes him special.  He’s going to run regardless of who the running back is.  See today, Moss was just fine on the ground and AR still ran.  He just has to learn that players hit differently at this level and these guys WILL take every shot at a QB they can and they are physically gifted enough to be able to catch up to AR and deliver a blow.  He’s not used to playing with guys like that and it shows.  He’s used to being the most gifted guy on the roster who can get away with things because of that.  

With that said it’s two games in, he’s just being exposed to what he needs to learn.  Now the question is does he learn?  Some guys do.  Some don’t.  Some just keep using their physical gifts until their bodies give out (Luck and Newton for example).  Hopefully, after Luck, Irsay and Ballard makes it a priority to his coaches to make Richardson learn these lessons and he does a better job protecting himself.  

I will say him not finishing the first two games of his career should be sending red flags to the Colts and Richardson that something has to change in terms of him protecting himself (again this isn’t like Luck where the line just let him get killed this is him exposing himself to shots he doesn’t need to take).  Hopefully it does.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, azcolt said:

When he scored the second TD he definitely slowed down as he realized he’d score. That left him open to get flattened. Hopefully he doesn’t repeat Luck’s first few years when he also didn’t avoid hits.

Spot on. He kind of jogged in instead of attacking the line. At the time it looked a bit arrogant/cocky to me. Something the coaches will help him with I hope.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

This is not a curse.  Mr. Luck thought he could butt heads with defenders as well. 

you have a choice when picking your signal caller. A decent athlete that gets rid of the ball and makes quick decisions or

a gifted athlete that runs around and gets hit. The first guy will play every week for 10-12 years. The latter will never play a full season and will last about 3-6 years. The good news is, the franchise will draft in the top 10 every year regardless.

My * god why am I having to explain to multiple allegedly functional adults that curses aren’t actually real?

Do you people still believe in Santa, too?

Maybe if I had established a history of sarcasm and pithy comments during my 15 year membership here… 

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean he was a league MVP and did get the Panthers to a Super Bowl.  He did something right.

He had one good year. After that, he pretty much disappeared. Which has been my fear with run first QBs like Lamar, Hurts, Newton, now AR. The shelf life isn’t much better than RBs to be honest. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He had one good year. After that, he pretty much disappeared. Which has been my fear with run first QBs like Lamar, Hurts, Newton, now AR. The shelf life isn’t much better than RBs to be honest. 

Agree 100%      While I hope AR has a great career for us, I seriously doubt that it will be a long one.  He's been hurt in his first two games as a pro...and already has his first concussion.  It does not take many of those before a player is forced to call it a career.  The scrambling QB is more prone to getting injured than the RBs, in my opinion... RBs know to find their hole and brace to be hit at all times... a scrambling QB is running around looking for someone to throw to, half the time, and take a ton of unnecessary hits.  Very rare for any of them to play a full season, which requires the QB spot to eat up even more of the cap, as you have to have a good back up.

Speaking of "back up"... have any of you taken the time to look at Minshew's career stats?  45 TD to 15 INT and spent most of his starting time with a bad Jags team... I honestly think that he would make an above average starter on a good team.  As soon as he came in yesterday, Pierce got a catch etc... he may not scramble and look exciting, but he already knows where to put the ball, before he gets it...which also makes the o-line look better, because they're not having to hold their blocks while he runs around waiting on someone to get open  (he also has a higher AVG than AR, as AR mostly just dinks and dunks unless he is running with it).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I missed the game yesterday. How bad was the concussion? Did he lose consciousness? 

It did not look any worse than Ogletree's the previous week, no one noticed.  No effect on the field, and AR came back the next series, but didn't return the series after that.  Nothing like Tua, not even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Speaking of "back up"... have any of you taken the time to look at Minshew's career stats?  45 TD to 15 INT and spent most of his starting time with a bad Jags team... I honestly think that he would make an above average starter on a good team.  As soon as he came in yesterday, Pierce got a catch etc... he may not scramble and look exciting, but he already knows where to put the ball, before he gets it...which also makes the o-line look better, because they're not having to hold their blocks while he runs around waiting on someone to get open  (he also has a higher AVG than AR, as AR mostly just dinks and dunks unless he is running with it).

Yes.. but this just makes me sad :(

I don't get everyone complaining about the hit. "The defender should have pulled up" garbage. As defenders if you have a chance to hit the QB you take it.

They water down the league every year with new protect the players rules. It's making the game less entertaining. Pretty soon they will have the QBs bubble wrapped. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think he had more than one good year but yes I’d agree running QBs like this have a short shelf life.

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I missed the game yesterday. How bad was the concussion? Did he lose consciousness? 

No, he even played a couple of more series after he probably got it and then self reported it and was walking fine.  It wasn’t close to the Tau ones if that’s what you are thinking of.  According to Irsay he was mentally clear after the game and pretty much his normal self.  Irsay didn’t say it but implied it was a mild one.  We’ll see what happens with the protocol this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It did not look any worse than Ogletree's the previous week, no one noticed.  No effect on the field, and AR came back the next series, but didn't return the series after that.  Nothing like Tua, not even close.

You could see Olgetree’s concussion right away by the way he fell after the hit. It was clear as day. 

AR got up after and you couldn’t tell a difference. 

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is a really dumb question. But because a QB wears  a red jersey in practice and can’t be hit does that make it likelier he will be able to practice on Wed.

Not a dumb question. Technically yes, it helps. And it's the very reason all QBs wear red jerseys now. The position is just too important to carelessly throw them out in practice and take major hits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esmort said:

I don't get everyone complaining about the hit. "The defender should have pulled up" garbage. As defenders if you have a chance to hit the QB you take it.

They water down the league every year with new protect the players rules. It's making the game less entertaining. Pretty soon they will have the QBs bubble wrapped. 

I think NFL can be entertaining while still trying to prevent injury as much as possible.