Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Jags post game thread

GoColts8818

In my view AR passes the eye test so far. Its tough to judge a rookie QB when the team can't run (outside of AR himself), so the Jags were able to sit back in coverage a bit. Just looking for steady progression this year, don't think we have what it takes at the offensive skill positions to have a great record, just need to focus on AR's development and hope that leads to some fun, competitive games. I see some trying to compare Manning's rookie season to AR, but I think people are forgetting PM had Marshall freekin Faulk as his safety valve at RB, whereas Deon Jackson has no business' being on an NFL field. The front office has to find someone who is capable enough at RB to at least make the defense respect the run just to free things up a bit for AR, they owe the kid that much.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven’t yet seen the Colts game, but I was at the Falcon’s game and saw, yet again, Reich’s folly of opting to go for it on 4th down after a good early drive, instead of taking the easy 3 points. 

This idiocy was my biggest complaint during the Reich years and it is sad to hear that Steichen (& so many coaches nowadays) all too often make this same error. 

Early in a game, after a decent drive, you HAVE to take the 3 points so you have something to show for it!  To not do so kills the early momentum, uplifts the other team, & ALL TOO OFTEN, the 3 points end up being the difference in the game. Take the damn FG!

Good morning was not able to watch the game but was listening to it on the radio. 1 what was going on with all the personal fouls against Jacksonville if correct a couple of colts players were lost to injuries after the Fouls. 2 I like Taylor as much as everyone else and yes it would of been nice to see him on the field, but he chose this and lets remember he is under contract for this yr and if he would of not disputed his contract and just played yesterday his negotiations for a new contract could of went in the right direction. 3 my observation was like everyone else the o-line cannot block how is it in just 3 yrs they go from best to worst line in the NFL. Proud of the defensive play the play calling was suspect in occasions could of had a chance to win this one. On to next week 

I was impressed with Richardson and the over all performance by everyone. The biggest problems with the game I thought were: 1 Steichen gambling too much(we passed up 2 field goals that would probably been made easily(at least you would hope so since our kicker now was given the highest paid free agent contract for a kicker in nfl history, so let's use him!) 2; the long punt return late, everyone seemed to run down on the same side of the field, leaving the other side of the field wide open. It looked like that punt return took the air out of everyone and we didn't put up much resistance on that touchdown drive. Just a reminder, you have to play 60 minutes in all 3 phases of the game in the nfl. Good game though much better than last years opener against the Texans when we slopped our way to a tie. Richardson is going to continue to struggle with accuracy for a while but he showed yesterday he is the real deal, glad we have him. One other rather meaningless point, did anyone notice how wwwwwiiiidddddeeee open Downs was on the 4th down play at the end? He was running across the back of the end zone with no-one near him, Minshew could have lobbed the ball to him, but you can't see everyone when your running around trying to buy some time.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah that is why, people that use the check down argument don't have a leg to stand on is to why AR threw for 65%. Most QB's are throwing short now days, they let their WR's/RB's do most of the work. Tom Brady was the king of checkdown and he won 7 SB's. Edelman for 7, Edelman for 8, Welker for 7, etc.. Gronk for 10 lol. 

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thank you Nathan for these telling charts, and thank you so much Chloe for this data that actually makes things clear.

Seeing AR's chart week after week would be fun/interesting.

I didn't notice AR using his eyes to move/freeze the safeties. He probably did, but he is very bright and will be good at it. Something has to give with reliable production from Pierce. I know his hard work will give us Something. lol

17 hours ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Did anyone else feel like we really picked up the first down on 3rd down? Terrible spot and if we didn’t rush it I think we would of challenged.

Just watched it, and yeah I think it was worth a challenge. But I think the protocol on 4th and inches is a quick QB sneak, which should be a high percentage play. We just didn't convert.

IMO, we should have taken our time in that spot. I wouldn't have minded a FG attempt, which is rare for me on 4th an inches. But coming off of a turnover, having a chance to take the lead, I think at least going through some options would have been a smart move.

Later in the year, if we have some better footing as a team, yeah, go fast and QB sneak. 

The next possession was worse, IMO. Fourth and 4, from the 43, the defense has stopped the Jags quickly on three out of four possessions, including two in a row. We just failed on 4th and inches. I think we should have punted there.

Just seems like Steichen tried to coach like he has a team that already has some momentum and knows what they're doing. 

Listening to the after game presser by both Shane and AR I'm hyped that I think we are secure at both QB and Head coach. Both rookies, but also both will improve. I think our CBs will be ok, but not great. Kenny had to stick with Ridley the whole 2nd half. It helped but took him away from nickel alot. I thought signing JT over Pitt was the way to go. I was wrong. Need to sign them both along with Grove. Pierce needs to show up. Hopefully Pitt doesn't cost us over 15 mil/ year. Think we should be able to get Grove and Kenny for around 9 mil/ year with more years on the contract.

Start Freeland and move Smith inside. I'm going to pound this drum all year. 

5 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I think the best case scenario this year is for Richardson to stay healthy and get better and better and for us to get the #1 pick, trade that to a hopefully qb needy team around the 3rd pick or so for a kings ransom, and get Marvin Harrison jr and a bunch of other good picks. 

Have you seen the other teams around the league? There’s a good chance we finish 2nd in our division alone. I never like that way of thinking it’s loser mentality.

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Listening to the after game presser by both Shane and AR I'm hyped that I think we are secure at both QB and Head coach. Both rookies, but also both will improve. I think our CBs will be ok, but not great. Kenny had to stick with Ridley the whole 2nd half. It helped but took him away from nickel alot. I thought signing JT over Pitt was the way to go. I was wrong. Need to sign them both along with Grove. Pierce needs to show up. Hopefully Pitt doesn't cost us over 15 mil/ year. Think we should be able to get Grove and Kenny for around 9 mil/ year with more years on the contract.

Start Freeland and move Smith inside. I'm going to pound this drum all year. 

Kenny Moore says that did NOT happen.

Archived