Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Jags post game thread

GoColts8818

Very disappointed in Steichen. Up 21-17 with ball at midfield and huge momentum after fourth down stop and we call run by Jackson who stinks and run by a practice squad guy. Predictably 3rd and long. Have to punt, special teams collapse and Jax TD. Ballgame. Horrible play calling. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

That was a lot of FUN, we did a lot better than expected. 

RB is an issue, I like Jackson but we need more depth.

WRs need to start stepping up

Defense showed up big

Zaire Franklin is a menace 

EJ Speed will have a breakout year imo. 

Corners I'm not sure what to say yet, need to see more of the tape. 

• Like 2

I hope Richardson isn't hurt. That would really sour me on this season.

Richardson played about as good as we could've realistically hoped for in my opinion. He needs WRs that can get open.

OL was terrible. AR was constantly pressured and they got zero run blocking done.

Defense was waaay better than I expected for 3.5 quarters, but then collapsed in the second half of the 4th quarter.

Special teams need to up their game significantly.

Edit: Deon Jackson NEEDS TO GO.

• Like 2

It was an okay game. Run game was awful but the defense made some nice plays. Richardson was kind of what you would expect flashed some great things but didn’t look good downfield and had a mistake late that cost us big time. Hope he is fine and we move forward and find a way to fix what hurt us in this one.

They played well for 3.5 quarters. Pierce invisible today. Richardson is playing better than expected. The interception was more of a good play by the defender than a bad pass from Richardson. Biggest thing for him is to limit how often he throws high.

Not a good game by our rookie head coach.  Dumb not punting in the 1st half.  Got super conservative when they had the league.  Could be argued they should have taken three and saved time toward the end. 

Definitely need more out of the RB’s. Leonard is the 3rd best LB on the team. 

AR is going to be a fun to watch. 

• Like 5

Things I liked

Anthony Richardson played well INT hurt bad but credit to the Jags for making Richardson make tough throws.

Shane was very creative seem like he got a little stale when Colts went up but overall I didn’t hate it.

This defense shocked me, I thought the front 7 played very well against a bad Oline Kudos to GB.

What I didn’t like:

These running backs are disgusting get them off the Colts yesterday. Sign JT or get Kareem Hunt

DBs very shaky I was surprised the Jags kept trying to run the ball I would of spread the colts out and exploit every DB on this team.

Rigoberto was ehhh and so was special teams on the Agnew punt return 

Shane left points on the field and not one deep shot?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too many passes for Richardson. 37 passed is too many.

2 minutes ago, KB said:

They played well for 3.5 quarters. Pierce invisible today. Richardson is playing better than expected. The interception was more of a good play by the defender than a bad pass from Richardson. Biggest thing for him is to limit how often he throws high.

That was more on Steichen. That drive was a mess with way too much time left. 

Idk why everyone is impressed. AR was inaccurate(as expected) but all his passes were dump offs. Idk why that’s all his throws were. When he threw more then 10 yards all his balls are way to high. He had a dump off in the beginning of the game that was even super high luckily the te caught it. Decision making was good but I was expecting them to have him actually trying to throw down field more. Didn’t expect a win but that game was so winnable it hurlers even more knowing that. Does the line suck or is it just our rbs?

• Thanks 1

Losing of course really sucks. But the end result was expected unfortunately. It’s going to take some time for the rookies to figure things out. Shane made mistakes. He’s also a rookie. It was still a fun game. The stadium was rocking. We were hyped up and having fun. Despite the loss, it felt different. 

Everything’s going to be okay. 

Alright I’ll tip my hat and allow the anger posts commence. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Very disappointed in Steichen. Up 21-17 with ball at midfield and huge momentum after fourth down stop and we call run by Jackson who stinks and run by a practice squad guy. Predictably 3rd and long. Have to punt, special teams collapse and Jax TD. Ballgame. Horrible play calling. 

Yeah, the passing game was working pretty well, and then for no apparent reason they went with run plays, which were basically wasted downs. Also, I don't know why they never tried to push it downfield.

• Like 1

When Anthony calms down throwing in to zones, defences will play more man, opening up his game. No one said he’d be an all pro day one.

Shane says he throws to set up the run, well if the pass games not efficient defence will crowd the box, making it hard to run. It’s a victorious cycle

overall thought as a team thought we looked ok under a new staff.

oh and Deforrest is just so fun to have on the team.

Go Colts

Well I was going to post mostly positive things until that last few plays.

Shane has A LOT to learn about game management.  You spent big money on kicker this off-season and passed on field goals three times (twice on the last drive) and lost by 10.  They also went for it when then defense was playing really well and you could have put the Jags back inside their own 10 with a punt.  I also thought the play calling got WAY too conservative when they got the 21-17 lead and they wore out the defense.  

Hopefully Richardson is okay but he has to learn to get down.  Being able to run is nice but this is the NFL those hits are going to add up really fast.  

As for Richardson did everything you could have asked for in the 1st half for a rookie.  The second half was pretty rough but it wasn’t all on him.  He has to work on accuracy.

The line played well in pass protection as whole.  They gave sacks but that’s going to happen with Richardson because the vast majority of those came on him scrambling and just going out of bounds.

The run game is nonexistent.  I don’t know if it’s the line blocking or just not the talent they need at running back.  Hopefully Taylor comes back week five because frankly the Colts need him.

I’ll put the Colts three linebackers up against any set or linebackers in the league that isn’t an end pretty much playing linebacker.

the front did a really job getting after the Jags and controlled the 1st three quarters until they ran out of gas because the offense started trying to run out the clock the whole fourth quarter.

Secondary was up and down and that’s going to happen.  I will say Kenny Moore needs some love as he pretty much shut down Ridley in the second half after he was on historic pace in the 1st half.

The Colts badly need a game changer at WR.  Downs is going to be a nice slot WR but he’s a rookie and is going to disappear a times.  Pittman is good position WR and the Colts would be wise to keep him.  Pierce is supposed to be the guy to stretch defenses and I am sorry he’s trash.

Frankly the best thing for the Colts this year will probably be what we saw today, a fun competitive team for three quarters falling  apart in the fourth quarter leading to getting Marvin Harrison Jr.  This offense needs a WR like him badly.  The Colts looked like what they are, a young team learning to win.  

• Like 1

Ballard had weeks to bring in a veteran RB who could run from here to there without fumbling and get you three yards. Jackson was in over his head and with the injured rookie you’re suddenly giving a big carry to a PRACTICE SQUAD player in the 4th quarter of a game you can win. GM malpractice. Ballard just drifts along, never a sense of urgency. I guess that’s why his motto is delayed gratification. 

• Like 1

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard had weeks to bring in a veteran RB who could run from here to there without fumbling and get you three yards. Jackson was in over his head and with the injured rookie you’re suddenly giving a big carry to a PRACTICE SQUAD player in the 4th quarter of a game you can win. GM malpractice. Ballard just drifts along, never a sense of urgency. I guess that’s why his motto is delayed gratification. 

That’s moss and he broke his arm. He is better then what we had today. He should be back next week.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If the defense plays like today I like our chances against Texans. Rookie QB against rookie QB.

our wr core stinks i feel bad for AR .   we are throwing a raw rookie into a game with a bad line no run game and average wrs .   pittman is solid but every route he cant separate .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Yeah, the passing game was working pretty well, and then for no apparent reason they went with run plays, which were basically wasted downs. Also, I don't know why they never tried to push it downfield.

Exactly. If you’re going to run that second-half offense, heck put Minschew in. You can’t live with 7 to 10 yard pass plays all game. I don’t know what happened to the QB designed runs. Expected more creativity from Steichen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Just my random thoughts...

The CB Baker is going to take days off of our lives.. Lol

Pierce I can't stand at this point.

AR has to get down when he takes off. Don't be a hero every play or you won't last long.

Even if he slid, Cisco was going for his head. But, yes, I hope he learns to slide on every run attempt when necessary and not try to fight for extra yards. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

A lot of that was beyond Ballard’s control.  Their starter is “hurt”/holding in for a contract. Then they had two injuries.  They were essentially down to their third and fifth string running back.  Any team would be in trouble there.

• Like 2