Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Jags post game thread

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There are still a time to attempt a few downfield. That is how you loosen up the defense and have more running room.

The Jags OL gave Lawrence more time to scan the field than the Colts OL gave AR if you saw the game in an overall sense. Hard to take those shots, the Jags have stockpiled some good defensive talent on that DL of theirs 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s the same thing as last year. Offense hits a road block and they run out of gas. They made Lawrence look average. 

If they play like that next week stroud will be in trouble.

U can use that excuse sometimes, but this has gone back 7 years now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Jags OL gave Lawrence more time to scan the field than the Colts OL gave AR if you saw the game in an overall sense. Hard to take those shots, the Jags have stockpiled some good defensive talent on that DL of theirs 

They stock piled by picking in the top 10 for the last few years, lol

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think if this was a experienced team who have played together awhile you go for it. Not with a rookie QB who is still learning in his first game.

Some of it was just bad decisions by Shane.

Like not kicking on one of the two fourth downs at the end of the game.  Like Vilma said at least if you do that you still have a chance, no it’s not a great chance but even if you get the TD you were still going to need the same onside kick.  

Id also argue not kicking after you got the turnover from Brown was a bad call.  Take the points and reward the defense and keep momentum going.  You saw Pederson, who is also as aggressive as they come take a short field goal at one point and it was a factor at the end.  

There was also a point when the defense was playing with their hair on fire the Colts could have punted and pinned the Jags deep and they went for it and didn’t get it.  

He has to make better decisions.  I know it’s in vogue to go for it in the NFL right now and I am fine with being aggressive at times but Shane was reckless with it today.  Why spend all the money they did on a kicker when you aren’t going to use him?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think if this was an experienced team who have played together awhile you go for it. Not with a rookie QB who is still learning in his first game.

I don’t disagree but part of me thinks this will be used as a learning experience. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

Any RB should fit.  Finding one who can excel is what you are looking for.  JT is that guy.  You drafted him to be that guy.  He excelled.  Time to pay him.

He’s coming off of a surgery, in a new scheme, with a new coach who isn’t know to use feature backs, committed to playing out his contract then backed out of it. 

He’s not trustworthy or even reliably healthy at this point that we’ve seen.

We aren’t winning the superbowl. We should/will pay him what the market bears, nothing more.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s pretty clear all along the Colts plan to get Taylor back at some point.  That’s what Ballard has bet on.  You can agree or disagree if that’s a smart bet but it was his bet.  However, Ballard and the Colts didn’t tell Taylor to hold in.  That’s all Taylor’s doing.  So at that point if you aren’t going to extend him or trade him and you plan to get him back because you know at some point he’s going to have to play to get what he wants then it’s beyond your control and you have wait it out.  

From there Moss, who is there back up, got hurt and they were hoping to have him back today, which is why they kept just three backs and only downgraded him yesterday.  So again beyond Ballard’s control.  

How many teams do you think are going to lose their top two backs and NOT feel it?  I am not saying Jackson is good.  I am saying he’s the third string running back who frankly played like a third string running back.

They did try to yank him for Hull but then he got hurt which frankly put them in an emergency situation which is how Funk got out there.

You are caring on like this was the expected plan.  It wasn’t.  The plan this off-season (until they got to camp when finding a new starting running back is unrealistic) was Taylor or at worst Moss and probably way more Hull.  All of which became unavailable today for different reasons.  

Colts you see the Colts bring in a guy like Hunt or Drake this week?  I certainly wouldn’t be shocked but I also don’t think a guy like that is going to make a huge difference.  The bigger issue is Moss and Hall are hurt and the Taylor situation which are realistically out of Ballard’s control.  

Moss got hurt over a month ago. JT situation has been a lingering issue. Hull is a fifth round rookie. Plenty of time and reason to upgrade. A huge difference? I don’t know, it seemed it may have been huge the way Jackson played today. The injuries are out of CB’s control, yes, but improving the team in every way possible is not out of his control. 

55 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard had weeks to bring in a veteran RB who could run from here to there without fumbling and get you three yards. Jackson was in over his head and with the injured rookie you’re suddenly giving a big carry to a PRACTICE SQUAD player in the 4th quarter of a game you can win. GM malpractice. Ballard just drifts along, never a sense of urgency. I guess that’s why his motto is delayed gratification. 

If u sign a veteran player and he played the first game, that contract is guaranteed all year. I think they will sign Hunt

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some of it was just bad decisions by Shane.

Like not kicking on one of the two fourth downs at the end of the game.  Like Vilma said at least if you do that you still have a chance, no it’s not a great chance but even if you get the TD you were still going to need the same onside kick.  

Id also argue not kicking after you got the turnover from Brown was a bad call.  Take the points and reward the defense and keep momentum going.  You saw Pederson, who is also as aggressive as they come take a short field goal at one point and it was a factor at the end.  

There was also a point when the defense was playing with their hair on fire the Colts could have punted and pinned the Jags deep and they went for it and didn’t get it.  

He has to make better decisions.  I know it’s in vogue to go for it in the NFL right now and I am fine with being aggressive at times but Shane was reckless with it today.  Why spend all the money they did on a kicker when you aren’t going to use him?

Two bad decisions took 3 pts from us and gave jags 7. Should of kicked a FG on one and punted deep on the other.

• Like 2

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

We can only hope.  It’s not just Richardson who needs to learn it’s Shane too.

What i mean is that I think we will be much more effective with those plays and situations having been stopped now. It showed us what works and doesn’t work. I think we will see a different approach next time, might still go for it, but I think we’ll see more pass plays and designed runs by AR or even a WR sweep 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully the defense plays like this next week. They have Lawrence all he can handle. Should be able to do the same if not more with stroud. Hopefully we will be 1-1.

I’m kind of hoping we lose. I don’t wanna tank by any means. I wanna see good football and improvement but I really want Marv 2.0

The colts could have the old steel curtain D or the '85 Bears Defense AND they would play well but then  give it up in key moments when the team needs for them to get a stop. And that's not good since the defense is strongest unit. 

Steinchen:s first game as HC was not impressive.

I think colts would have won with JT and the colts let the jags off the hook. 

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

Moss got hurt over a month ago. JT situation has been a lingering issue. Hull is a fifth round rookie. Plenty of time and reason to upgrade. A huge difference? I don’t know, it seemed it may have been huge the way Jackson played today. The injuries are out of CB’s control, yes, but improving the team in every way possible is not out of his control. 

And they expected Moss back today.  It wasn’t until yesterday that they knew he wouldn’t be.  

They didn’t know Taylor was going to be holding in until camp started.  At that point Ballard did exactly what you wanted he went and got a proven vet in Drake.  He wasn’t good enough to make the final roster and the vast majority of Colts fans agreed.  

Do I think Ballard is going to look at the running back situation after today?  Yeah I do.  Partially because if Hull is going to miss anytime they will be forced to be.  The other reason is like you said Ballard needs too (and frankly he does) always look to improve the roster.  However, let’s remember he’s looking for temporary solutions.  They might very well have Moss back next week.  They could have Taylor back a few weeks after that.  So he’s going to make a major move.  Let’s also remember the guys that are out there out there right now are out there for a reason, the odds of finding a major upgrade right now isn’t high.  

25 minutes ago, AKB said:

we need Taylor, or a quality RB. That was one of the more obvious takeaways from this game. 

Pierce - non existent 

Pittman - should get more snaps running, or on gadjet plays, he is not seperating

Downs - rookie, probably still our best route runner 

Baker is not good - if we are going to watch someone struggle, i'd rather it be one of our rookie CBs. 

our linebackers are good to very good. 

our line is still good without Yannick, but depth might be questionable 

Outside run blocking has been decent, inside blocking is either not doing that good, or the backs are just missing the holes. looked like both interiorly. 

Safety is average. 

talent is lacking on the offense  and at corner really bad .   it  feels kind of like the same problems nonstop with ballard build teams .   last year the line was bad wrs couldnt separate much and ballard said lets try again .      the main problem is guys who ballard paid are playing below their contract value .    moore nelson, kelly smith   leonard under play their contracts .   buckner , grover earn every penny .  then mix in all the capital spend at corner and edge rush that havent turned into above average players its a bad mix .  

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

He’s coming off of a surgery, in a new scheme, with a new coach who isn’t know to use feature backs, committed to playing out his contract then backed out of it. 

He’s not trustworthy or even reliably healthy at this point that we’ve seen.

We aren’t winning the superbowl. We should/will pay him what the market bears, nothing more.

The market has spoken.  He agreed to a contract with the Dolphins.  They just couldn’t pull off the trade.  Pay him that number and we’re in great shape.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Before the last 3 series of the 4th, they gave up just 17… and forced a bunch of turnovers, some wrongfully overturned that led to points too

Yeah people complaining about the defense didn’t watch the game or don’t understand football.  The played a great game and wore down because the offense couldn’t stay on the field at all in the second half.  Not that hard to understand.