Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running back by Committee: Shane

csmopar

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This tells me two things. 1.) Steichen feels he doesn't need an elite RB, and Moss, Jackson, and Hull can be his new trio to replace what he had in Philly. 2.) We are in no hurry to have Taylor play as of now. That may change in 4 games if our running game struggles, but as of now, I think Steichen is comfortable with what we have, and unless Taylor changes his tune, we will ride with RB by committee for the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Steichen was successful in Philly doing this.

He believes with Richardson in his offense the inexpensive committee method is the way to go.

JT has no future here. There are better ways to spend the millions he wishes for. lol

We have until pre-draft 2024 to play the market. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

No team reliant on a bell cow has won the Super Bowl in recent years. A bell cow, in my opinion is easier to game plan for and if it’s taken away a lot of teams don’t know how to function anymore.

I like the new approach even if we lose JT at some point. 

I remember when the Titans were the big dawgs of the AFC a few years ago during the Bengals playoff run. They shut down Henry and forced Tannehill to play hero. It worked beautifully for Cincy and was a disaster for Tennessee. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Huh.  He said in Taylor’s absence it will be running back by committee.  No way one of the top running backs in the league is taking a back seat to our other guys.  No one fears the other running backs.  JT is a difference maker.  The other guys are not.  How do you not play JT more and give him the majority of the snaps?  Certainly he’s playing the majority of snaps when he returns.   Come on man.  The season is upon us.  Time to get back to reality.  If and when JT returns he will play a ton. He will make AR better. He will make the team better.  You play your best players to try to win the game.  That’s always been the case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They probably told Taylor they were going to do this and see who was the best who would get more carrie’s than the other guys but still not be the bell cow. Taylor wants to get paid, and not being the bell cow will diminish his value. 

taylor signed a deal, Then said he wanted to retire a Colt, after that he said his ankle was 100%. Now all 3 are in question. 

dishonesty is his best policy. 

7 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

We need to move on from JT. He will never be the back he was before the first injury. It is obvious he does not want tp play here and wanting a big payday based on pre injury performance is not something the Colts should contemplate

No need to get rid of him yet

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

We need to move on from JT.

I am starting to agree with this comment.

I have no idea if he will be good again or not

You would think the JT camp would have came out and commented by now (One way or another)

There will be an injury to a team, and I think JT might be dealt before deadline

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

What else can he say? I wish my bosses(Irsay & ballard) brought back the elite back that's on the roster? 

If JT joins the roster after pup, which I doubt, he'll sing a different tune and ride him and his talent. 

• Like 3

Let’s be clear here…..   Steichen is not choosing RBC over Taylor, or even over Moss.    His hand has been forced.   He doesn’t have a choice.   It’s running by committee period.   

We will all find out together what happens if/when Taylor comes off the PUP list.   What does JT do?   What does JT say?   That’ll tell us where things really are.   And how do the Colts react to all that will tell us even more.   Right now all we have is speculation based on opinion which is running strongly against Taylor.  

We will all know more in roughly 5 weeks. 

• Like 1

I honestly am starting to believe that if JT DOES come back to play for us....I think using him 50 to 60% of the run plays and subbing in the other 2 or 3 might be beneficial for JT's production and longevity since he would supposedly be coming back from injury.  Also then to be able to utilize a more Shane type of running game that has had much success without a true every down "cowbell" back

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I remember when the Titans were the big dawgs of the AFC a few years ago during the Bengals playoff run. They shut down Henry and forced Tannehill to play hero. It worked beautifully for Cincy and was a disaster for Tennessee. 

Do you think Tennessee would have even been in the playoffs without him? If they had 3 rbs instead of 1 great back would the game plan employed by Cincy been any different. So is the issue Henry or the issue Tennessee had a below avg qb? Wasn’t SF not even a playoff team until McCaffrey got there last year? I think we all know that great qb play is imperative for winning it all but if you don’t have that…what is the alternative if you want to be really good?? Play defense and have s dynamic running game? Might not win it all but it will give you a chance to win more often than not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Do you think Tennessee would have even been in the playoffs without him? If they had 3 rbs instead of 1 great back would the game plan employed by Cincy been any different. So is the issue Henry or the issue Tennessee had a below avg qb? Wasn’t SF not even a playoff team until McCaffrey got there last year? I think we all know that great qb play is imperative for winning it all but if you don’t have that…what is the alternative if you want to be really good?? Play defense and have s dynamic running game? Might not win it all but it will give you a chance to win more often than not.

The issue is they designed their entire offense around the RB. And yes Henry got them to the playoffs. No one is denying that, but the point was that having one running back as a centerpiece around the offense doesn’t lead to championships. And the 49ers have been in playoff contention for years. 

Here's what has always killed me about the Colts and their running backs.  I noticed a lot that when they were in the red zone, they'd bring in a running back and he'd run the ball up the middle 2 or 3 plays in a row and get stopped.  The element of surprise was always lacking.  You knew that whoever came in was getting the ball.  They need to be less predictable.  Even when Taylor wasn't hurt and was playing, someone would come in for Taylor and sure enough the running back who came in would get the handoff.  They have to be less predictable and more imaginative in their play calling.  Mix it up a little bit and don't be so obvious.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Uhh, The Great Garrapolo played in I recall 2 NFC Championship games in 3 seasons prior to McCaffrey. 

And of course the defensive game plan would have been totally different. Tennessee would have been able to attack in more ways with more versatile athletes. Plus they would have had $10+ more million a year to build their team.

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Huh.  He said in Taylor’s absence it will be running back by committee.  No way one of the top running backs in the league is taking a back seat to our other guys.  No one fears the other running backs.  JT is a difference maker.  The other guys are not.  How do you not play JT more and give him the majority of the snaps?  Certainly he’s playing the majority of snaps when he returns.   Come on man.  The season is upon us.  Time to get back to reality.  If and when JT returns he will play a ton. He will make AR better. He will make the team better.  You play your best players to try to win the game.  That’s always been the case.

They Fear the QB therefore the committee is good 👍 enough for Steichen's offense. Steichen 12th man 101.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I really don't get that some people really, truly think that 4 average RB's IS BETTER than 1 ELITE RB & 3 average backs......except that that's what the colts currently have without JT. haha

And the situation is pretty much the same for all these teams that emphasize an Elite Running QB.  (Or a team like KC that has an elite offensive system with passes and screens that serve as the running game, and an elite play caller combined with an elite QB.) They are all built using a committee of RB versus focusing on one elite back. I think it's done that way for a reason. You ever notice they've never made significant efforts to get out of RBBC in Baltimore or Buffalo? And when they've needed to upgrade they just go out and draft a young buck who can give them a few good years on the cheap.  1st thing Steichen did here was draft a young back despite the fact we have JT and we already had Moss and Deon Jackson.  The regular use of an Elite Running QB in the ground game combined with what the other backs add makes up for the work the 1 Elite Back usually contributes.

Now with that being said, since JT is already on the Roster we should definitely want to make use of what he brings to the table bc it is undeniable. Especially while he is affordable. I think teams are trying to avoid paying more than 2 skill position players long term big money on offense. WR and QB is usually the preference over RB. And in places like New England they've preferred to do that with their QB and an Elite tight end in previous years. When their WR or RB asked them for big money they respond with "Here Is The Door Buddy!" I do think the league at some point will have to come up with a better short term compensation model that works to keep an elite runner in the fold . The challenge is these offensive systems that don't need an Elite RB to be productive.

18 hours ago, RollerColt said:

True. Passing the ball has mostly won playoff games by also helping the run, but not the other way. Yes, timely key runs from the QB have also helped lately but the QB and offense still needs to be pass first (more heavily for QB) for longevity of success.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:02 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Uhh, The Great Garrapolo played in I recall 2 NFC Championship games in 3 seasons prior to McCaffrey. 

And of course the defensive game plan would have been totally different. Tennessee would have been able to attack in more ways with more versatile athletes. Plus they would have had $10+ more million a year to build their team.

Henry carried that team to the playoffs. The point being it is highly suspect the team would have even been a playoff team without him…even with the money spent elsewhere. If you are a running team the game plan will be to stop the run. Not sure it really matters if it’s a commitee or 1 guy. I just highly doubt Tennessee would have been better off without Henry on those teams.

You also ignore the fact that SF was a losing team and had a losing record before McCaffrey got there. What they did the previous season doesn’t matter. Fact was they became a Super Bowl contender with McCaffrey last year…that team needed him.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:40 AM, RollerColt said:

The issue is they designed their entire offense around the RB. And yes Henry got them to the playoffs. No one is denying that, but the point was that having one running back as a centerpiece around the offense doesn’t lead to championships. And the 49ers have been in playoff contention for years. 

My point is if you don’t have a qb…then yes you need elite defense and a great rb if you want to have a shot at the SB. Avg qb play and elite rb with great defense won a SB for the Seahawks and took them 1 more rushing attempt from back to back.  Don’t get me wrong it is much much more difficult to build a team around an elite back with avg qb play but if you don’t have the qb what other options do you have?

On 9/5/2023 at 2:54 PM, richard pallo said:

Agree. If Taylor returns, I would expect the workload to be similar to when the Colts used Hines and Taylor in combination. Hines was the change-of-pace back.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, tomloge1 said:

Here's what has always killed me about the Colts and their running backs.  I noticed a lot that when they were in the red zone, they'd bring in a running back and he'd run the ball up the middle 2 or 3 plays in a row and get stopped.  The element of surprise was always lacking.  You knew that whoever came in was getting the ball.  They need to be less predictable.  Even when Taylor wasn't hurt and was playing, someone would come in for Taylor and sure enough the running back who came in would get the handoff.  They have to be less predictable and more imaginative in their play calling.  Mix it up a little bit and don't be so obvious.  

Did you miss the bit where that coaching staff got fired and an entirely new offense brought in?

On 9/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

This tells me two things. 1.) Steichen feels he doesn't need an elite RB, and Moss, Jackson, and Hull can be his new trio to replace what he had in Philly. 2.) We are in no hurry to have Taylor play as of now. That may change in 4 games if our running game struggles, but as of now, I think Steichen is comfortable with what we have, and unless Taylor changes his tune, we will ride with RB by committee for the season.

with the below average receivers ballard has assembled we are going to need a running game to have a chance to score. unless this overpaid o-line can open some big holes, ballards  group of rbs will not be a force to move the ball.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:32 AM, Jackie Daytona said:

Did you miss the bit where that coaching staff got fired and an entirely new offense brought in?

No I did not miss that.  The Colts have historically been very predictable with their running game in the red zone, even in their good years.  This has been going on a long time with this franchise.