Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Confidence level in Colts right now

bluephantom87

It's championship Sunday in the NFL and down to four teams. As I sit here it got me to thinking about the Colts. Are we YEARS away from participating in a AFCCG? How CONFIDENT are you in the team's future moving forward? Do you feel strongly that we're headed in the right direction and will nail the hc / qb or simply continue on a cloudy type of path that steers us further away from contention? My fingers are crossed for success but with all the drama going on and the new perception nationally of an unstable franchise with no direction has me at about 60/40 that it'll be more down days before this ship can turnaround any time soon. Thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until the HC, staff and QB are chosen I am neither. There is not enough info for me to have any sort of opinion on the direction of this team. I do trust Irsay and Ballard to make a decision they feel is best for the organization but I don’t know what they feel is best.  So again I’m just taking a wait and see approach bc who knows lol

I’m going to be straight with you. I’m usually a very positive person and often defend a lot of stuff concerning the team. I’m not really confident. I do not expect us to be competitive at all next season. Too many moving parts, lots of changes and everyone figuring out what to do and how to do it. In 2-3 years maybe. But we have to get the right HC paired with the right QB paired with the right coaching staff paired with the right combination for the offensive line… that’s a lot… 

I can answer this better after any trades, signings, and draft day.   I do not feel confident that simply finding the proper rookie Qb is going to change anything.  

I think the fundamental error that has been made is an over estimation of how close the team was to being a Sb team.  The FO went with the vet QB not a bridge QB to build the roster, but as the guy who could take this team deep into the playoffs.  The Rivers season was a mirage, and even that season I questioned whether 11-5 really reflected the quality of the team.  Exceptional QBing and great coaching got us there, IMO.

If Ballard does something bold, then I'll have confidence that he's assessed the roster correctly....trade a player....cut a player...trade down for more capital...trade up for the right QB.   If he's just going to add a rookie QB and his usual mundane other moves, my confidence level is not very high.

Irsay and Ballard are digging deep through the interview process to challenge their biases.

No doubt they want to get better at team building. Then they can sit down with their most trusted advisors to make sense of it all, then go out and find the best HC "prospect" in their eyes to lead the charge.

Ballard needs to adapt his defense thoughts i believe. He favors simplistic. This interview process Should open his eyes somewhat. We can hope.  

I feel good that they will find a solid HC.
  Are we going to get one of these top 3 QB's, and is he individually going to be talented enough in 3 years to do His Part to make us a top 5-6 SB contending team? The known unknown. Good Luck!

As others have stated in this thread, I too will have a better answer once we hire the new HC, go through the draft and free agency.  

If Jeff Saturday is somehow given the HC job, that would probably cement my opinion of being low.  

In general, current my confidence level is not very high in the short term future as I remain doubtful that Ballard will drastically change his core convictions with regards to roster building, aggressiveness in FA, general reluctance to get into bidding wars for trading up, etc. Hopefully, my skepticism is proven wrong.  

I feel your angst brother it’s all dependent on how much Irsay gives up control on personnel. We need to find a Head coach that is firm and knows how to address players that underachieve or just lazy. One that knows how to correct the o line issues and guide our new qb 

13 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I feel your angst brother it’s all dependent on how much Irsay gives up control on personnel. We need to find a Head coach that is firm and knows how to address players that underachieve or just lazy. One that knows how to correct the o line issues and guide our new qb 

So then Saturday would be a very good choice.

Overall I like the coaching search so far. It feels like it's done professionally and with utmost care and responsibility. But that's not something I really doubted in Ballard. I think he runs a very tight ship organizationally and operationally. 

But at the end of the day, my confidence level will be heavily impacted by the end of this process and then by the QB selection/draft process, as well as any noticeable change of philosophy from Ballard. He said he's considering some changes. I want to see it before I believe it. Lets see. If Irsay has decided that Ballard is staying I want him to give him the time and opportunity to fix his mess. I don't want to hear in October next season that Ballard is on the hot spot because the new QB is not ready to win yet. When Irsay made the decision to not fire Ballard, this decision IMO has to come with at least 2 year commitment to let things play out. And if Irsay is not willing to do that, he should have fired Ballard this off-season. Keeping a GM on a hot seat and letting him hire your new HC and draft a new QB in top 3 is the stupidest thing you can do. If he's on the hot seat... fire him. If not - let him do his job and give him time to reorganize this team and fix his mistakes. 

My confidence level with this team is currently a 1/10. Right now, we have a meddling owner, no HC, a chance that our HC will be the worst in the NFL on arrival, if we get a qualified HC he still has to be good and bring in a solid coaching staff, we don't know who our next QB will be or if we can even get our guy at 4, we may have to trade up to 3 or 1 to get a QB that we prefer and sacrifice future draft capital, we need new O-Lineman, all the 2nd contracts we paid out aren't working out. Also, the AFC has tons of elite QBs and we don't.

Did I mention we are the joke of the NFL right now?

A lot of things have to happen for 1.) me to watch next year 2.) me to watch past the draft and 3.) even watch past the coaching hire. Ballard is the best thing about this team, and he's a GM with a losing record with no divisional wins and 1 playoff win in 6 years. I would have more confidence in myself right now than this team until further notice.

No amount of talking will do any good. It has to be actions, and the right actions. HC Hire, FA, Draft, winning games, making the playoffs. At least one year to get it started, and sustain it.

I haven't been lower on this team since 2011, and even then, that got us Andrew Luck. What we have now is just embarrassing as a fan and as someone who associates themselves with this team to other football fans in public. Time to figure this mess out!

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My confidence level with this team is currently a 1/10. Right now, we have a meddling owner, no HC, a chance that our HC will be the worst in the NFL on arrival, if we get a qualified HC he still has to be good and bring in a solid coaching staff, we don't know who our next QB will be or if we can even get our guy at 4, we may have to trade up to 3 or 1 to get a QB that we prefer and sacrifice future draft capital, we need new O-Lineman, all the 2nd contracts we paid out aren't working out. Also, the AFC has tons of elite QBs and we don't.

Did I mention we are the joke of the NFL right now?

A lot of things have to happen for 1.) me to watch next year 2.) me to watch past the draft and 3.) even watch past the coaching hire. Ballard is the best thing about this team, and he's a GM with a losing record with no divisional wins and 1 playoff win in 6 years. I would have more confidence in myself right now than this team until further notice.

No amount of talking will do any good. It has to be actions, and the right actions. HC Hire, FA, Draft, winning games, making the playoffs. At least one year to get it started, and sustain it.

I haven't been lower on this team since 2011, and even then, that got us Andrew Luck. What we have now is just embarrassing as a fan and as someone who associates themselves with this team to other football fans in public. Time to figure this mess out!

What if we hire Kafka and draft Stroud? I will make my call after the draft.

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

Overall I like the coaching search so far. It feels like it's done professionally and with utmost care and responsibility. But that's not something I really doubted in Ballard. I think he runs a very tight ship organizationally and operationally. 

But at the end of the day, my confidence level will be heavily impacted by the end of this process and then by the QB selection/draft process, as well as any noticeable change of philosophy from Ballard. He said he's considering some changes. I want to see it before I believe it. Lets see. If Irsay has decided that Ballard is staying I want him to give him the time and opportunity to fix his mess. I don't want to hear in October next season that Ballard is on the hot spot because the new QB is not ready to win yet. When Irsay made the decision to not fire Ballard, this decision IMO has to come with at least 2 year commitment to let things play out. And if Irsay is not willing to do that, he should have fired Ballard this off-season. Keeping a GM on a hot seat and letting him hire your new HC and draft a new QB in top 3 is the stupidest thing you can do. If he's on the hot seat... fire him. If not - let him do his job and give him time to reorganize this team and fix his mistakes. 

Post of the day!

I think some of you may be missing the point.   Confidence level at this point also includes hiring the right coach and drafting the right QB.  So this is part of where you should judge your confidence. 

It may not change your opinion, but that's how I am reading the OP's question.    Maybe I'm wrong   I dont know.

My confidence is high.   Ballard hired Reich (who I wanted at the time) after he was stood up at the alter.  And ddn't have much of a back up planin place IMO.  He doing his due diligence to make sure he gets the right person. That helps my confidence level.

I do not understand anyone wanting this process to be rushed.   Same with making the trade (if they do) so quickly.  Especially since they haven't had time to evaluate these players and see whats going on at the combine.     Yea I guess you could make the trade to #1 and prepare to not like any of the QB's and just take BPA or trade back again.   

But I am a pretty patient person. apparently thats a virtue of some % like that.

So yea my confidence level is leaning toward high 

So many of you guys are so irritated and pessimistic with the current Colts. I don't get it. We had Manning and company, which included a great left tackle, 2 great receivers, two very good tight ends, very good linebackers, 2 of the best outside pass rushers of this generation, solid defensive backs(I mention these things because according to some on here those are the "PREMIUM" positions) and we went to 3 count them 3 afccg in FOURTEEN years(13 if you don't count 2011 when we lost so we could draft Luck). We've had a musical chairs at qb for the past 6 years and still have around a .500 record. This year we played musical chairs with coaches and that got us into position to draft a qb(hopefully Stroud). Get the qb right and the coach right( I want either Morris or Evero). We will win the division next year as long as Mr. Irsay stays out of the way.

I think it’s too early to tell. New HC, new OC, new playbook, possibly new DC. There’s A LOT going on this off season. 

I think we’re couple off years away from contending for the division title. AFCCG seems a looong way away right now. And that’s IF we hit on a QB this off season. 

Ballard himself said they probably overestimated how far along the team was and I’ve been feeling that way for some years now. 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I think some of you may be missing the point.   Confidence level at this point also includes hiring the right coach and drafting the right QB.  So this is part of where you should judge your confidence. 

It may not change your opinion, but that's how I am reading the OP's question.    Maybe I'm wrong   I dont know.

My confidence is high.   Ballard hired Reich (who I wanted at the time) after he was stood up at the alter.  And ddn't have much of a back up planin place IMO.  He doing his due diligence to make sure he gets the right person. That helps my confidence level.

I do not understand anyone wanting this process to be rushed.   Same with making the trade (if they do) so quickly.  Especially since they haven't had time to evaluate these players and see whats going on at the combine.     Yea I guess you could make the trade to #1 and prepare to not like any of the QB's and just take BPA or trade back again.   

But I am a pretty patient person. apparently thats a virtue of some % like that.

So yea my confidence level is leaning toward high 

Thanks ChuggaBeer because the confidence level NOW was INCLUDING the ability to hire the right hc as well as draft the right qb. I KNOW we don't have either at this moment but based on recent decisions do you believe the brain trust will nail the process and turn this thing around? I know there's no guarantee with either addition but you can put yourself in a position to find that gem because most successful HC's started as some type of coordinator or position coach that showed something special.

I personally would like to see a hc with a little edge that'll hold players accountable both ON and off the field. Whoever that may be his DEVELOPMENT of the young qb will be crucial which is why I'm leaning more toward a young offensive hc from a top offensive staff. Ballard must also do his part and surround him with more EXPLOSIVE weapons to make the transition easier.

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I’m cautiously excited for this off-season and the future in general

I’m excited for this off-season too. Just doesn’t mean I think we’re going to the AFCCG or even winning the division in the next couple of years. (Not saying you do btw). 

I'll enjoy the offseason and root for the Colts to win each week just like i do every year. If they lose then ill root for a win the following week. I have no control over who wins or loses the game so its no stress on me.  I do get kinda bummed on a loss but theres always next week. 

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

Thanks ChuggaBeer because the confidence level NOW was INCLUDING the ability to hire the right hc as well as draft the right qb. I KNOW we don't have either at this moment but based on recent decisions do you believe the brain trust will nail the process and turn this thing around? I know there's no guarantee with either addition but you can put yourself in a position to find that gem because most successful HC's started as some type of coordinator or position coach that showed something special.

I personally would like to see a hc with a little edge that'll hold players accountable both ON and off the field. Whoever that may be his DEVELOPMENT of the young qb will be crucial which is why I'm leaning more toward a young offensive hc from a top offensive staff. Ballard must also do his part and surround him with more EXPLOSIVE weapons to make the transition easier.

I think this is going to be a very exciting offseason.  I am as excited about it as I was when Luck was drafted and that regime took over.

We will have a new HC a new system on both offense and defense. A new QB and there is a possibility that we can have the very player that they want in the draft with a trade up.

I love the Colts, Have been a fan since the Mayflower backed into the loading dock.  

I have huge confidence in Jim Irsay.   Always have.   Ballard has built the team for the coach. Even drafting for Pagano's D knowing he was probably going a different direction the next yr. He will make the right moves.  Yes he will miss once in a while like all GM's do.

I don't let being a fan determine my mood as a person.  Unfortunately, I don't think many on here can say the same thing 

I can tell you this.  I am 100% confident in my fandom of the Colts.  Doesn't mean I always agree  with what they do, but I know that nothing I think will make a difference and I won't lose sleep over a decision they make. 

I am by nature a happy, level headed person and it may because I do wear the blue shades.   Bud Light Blue, PBR Blue, Keystone Blue and of course Colts Blue.

Life is short   Have a beer sit on a beach and enjoy being a Colts fan

Cheers

I'm on tilt, and I think practically everyone else is also. There is a monumental decision still pending. How that decision is made will decide everything in my mind, and until it's made, there's just too much angst about the direction of the team.

If the Colts hire Jeff Saturday as HC, my confidence level will bottom out. If they hire someone with significant experience, who starts putting together a strong staff, my confidence level will soar. And here's why: Jim Irsay's decisions over the last year have been unusual. If we hire Saturday, it will indicate that the team is listless, leadership is not on the same page, and Irsay has become the impetuous, meddling owner that he's been accuse of being for many years. 

Now if they hire someone else -- despite Irsay's obvious excitement for seeing Jeff Saturday as a HC -- it indicates that Irsay's unusual actions over the last year have been an aberration, a measure of last resort because he felt the team was going in the wrong direction (and I think we were going in the wrong direction, tbh). So, at the least, it will feel like a return to normal of Irsay not aggressively intervening. There's still the question of how good the new coaching staff will be. But at least it won't seem like Irsay is a loose cannon, and the football ops people can do their thing.

No matter who gets hired, I don't think the team will win a lot of games in 2023. I think we need to restructure our roster and reallocate our cap resources, and that makes me think we'll move on from some good veteran players. We might be starting a rookie QB, with a new coaching staff. We're still looking at a 4-6 win team, I think. But we'll have some cap flexibility, and hopefully, a promising young QB going into Year 2 with some confidence. 

So we "feel better" with that experienced coach yet who here would be a good judge what a "strong staff" is. Keeping experienced Gus? The well respected Strausser?  Haha!

We will be hiring people that just got let go, bumping people up a level from their last job, and hoping they can all grow into their jobs with their coordinators.

There will be absolutely NO Reason to believe we are going to be a top 4 contender to get to the AFC Championsip 3 years from now NO MATTER what happens to our roster by opening day 2023.

And there is no reason to believe Saturday can't put it together as well as anyone.  What i trust the most is he would be a tough taskmaster, and would get our blocking and execution fixed. TE's and RB's included.

IMO an OC must be the hire. But i would take Jeff over any DC.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

So we "feel better" with that experienced coach yet who here would be a good judge what a "strong staff" is. Keeping experienced Gus? The well respected Strausser?  Haha!

We will be hiring people that just got let go, bumping people up a level from their last job, and hoping they can all grow into their jobs with their coordinators.

It's not hard to understand, really. Are we hiring a first time OC, or are we hiring someone who has had success doing the job already? Same with a DC. 

And even at spots where we might be hiring someone who is new at the job, have they had success in previous positions? Or are they completely unknown? I'd rather see a promotion for a defensive position coach who has been working in the NFL for a few years than someone who has no NFL coaching experience. The same logic applies at HC.

Archived