Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Confidence level in Colts right now

bluephantom87

What's interesting is even though this team apparently "Sucks" and has no hope for success next year or the year after or the year after that and so on and so forth we were one missed face mask penalty and a long pass interference penalty away from beating the nfc representative in the upcoming Super Bowl with a head coach who was just in his second game at the helm. So what you all are saying is the Eagles suck too? I watched 3 qtr's of that game today and I noticed the Eagle quarterback rarely threw the ball more than 5 yards downfield and finished the game 15-25 for 121 yards. Not very good, looked like Reich's Indy offense, well it worked for them though. There was a team in the nfc this past year that had won a total of 14 games the previous 3 seasons(compared to our 37 wins over that same time frame). That team changed their coach and coordinators and WA LA playoffs this year. But even with our impending coaching changes we won't be competitive 3 years from now????? I don't understand!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i still think the colts have talent and with a good QB can be a playoff team .   my faith on them will depend on the coaching hire but if they get a good coach and get a new QB we will be okay .   need to add some online depth and get some more explosive weapons though

ballards receivers cant change direction on a dime therefore can t get separation, new qb and coach cant solve this, it is a talent problem

16 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballards receivers cant change direction on a dime therefore can t get separation, new qb and coach cant solve this, it is a talent problem

i agree they get zero separation pierce and pittman both are good at high pointing passing and being big and physical but cant get real separation .  every catch is in traffic that is not good causes a lot of picks

So, we beat one super bowl participant  this year and outplayed the other one with a coach in just his second game(who I hope we don't hire) but somehow we suck. You are never as good as you look when you are winning and never as bad as you look when you are losing. This Colt team has a lot more talent than most of you think. 

17 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

watching the elite teams in the playoffs they all have receivers who can change direction and get open, ballard drafted tall basketball types who cant change direction and rely on jump balls

48 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

What's interesting is even though this team apparently "Sucks" and has no hope for success next year or the year after or the year after that and so on and so forth we were one missed face mask penalty and a long pass interference penalty away from beating the nfc representative in the upcoming Super Bowl with a head coach who was just in his second game at the helm. So what you all are saying is the Eagles suck too? I watched 3 qtr's of that game today and I noticed the Eagle quarterback rarely threw the ball more than 5 yards downfield and finished the game 15-25 for 121 yards. Not very good, looked like Reich's Indy offense, well it worked for them though. There was a team in the nfc this past year that had won a total of 14 games the previous 3 seasons(compared to our 37 wins over that same time frame). That team changed their coach and coordinators and WA LA playoffs this year. But even with our impending coaching changes we won't be competitive 3 years from now????? I don't understand!

Weird flex on this one...

I agree that being pessimistic about this team's prospects for being competitive three years from now makes little sense (unless the owner is going to keep undermining his football people). If we get the right HC, we should be pointed in the right direction.

However, comparing the Colts to the Eagles (or the Chiefs) is pretty silly. Those teams might have struggled against the Colts, but both teams are far ahead of the Colts. That's why they both won 14 games and were #1 seeds, while the Colts barely won 4 games. We're not in the same conversation with those teams. The two biggest reasons are the coach and the QB, but beyond that both teams are significantly better at OL and DL, and both teams are significantly better at pass catcher. And that's why they're going to the SB, while the Colts haven't been close at any point recently.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

while i agree the colts have talent and can turn it around fast , who the colts beat doesnt really matter .   how many years did the manning led colts lose to the texans or jaguars who were bottom feeders ?   every year good teams lose to bad teams that doesnt mean those bad teams are good .   its the nfl and sometimes good teams get relaxed playing bad teams and get punched in the mouth . 

Yep, every year some one can beat anyone. I put on here just little bit ago you are never as good as you look when you are winning and never as bad as you look when you are losing. To think this team is years away from contending is ludicrous I used the Giants as an example, 14 wins the previous 3 seasons before this one(compared to the Colts 37 over that same time frame). I do agree with Superman though on one point, Irsay needs to quit meddling. If Saturday is hired I don't think we will have much of a chance to win 5 or six games(as much as I hate to say that).

I have to correct my previous post where I stated the Colts won 37 games from 2019-2021 we only won 27 games in that time frame. But is still 13 more than the Giants and, get this, 5 more than the Eagles. What's even more interesting if you include 2018 we have won 6 more games than the Eagles. Including this season the Eagles have won 6 more games than we have, because right now they have a plus 12 on us. They hired Siriani following the 2020 season, so I don't see how we are that far behind, get the right coach and qb we will be right back to the top, JUST LIKE THE EAGLES!!

10 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Do you realize Jalen Hurts is still recovering from a slight tear on his throwing shoulder and has been passing at a minimum for about 5 wks now? As a matter of fact he sat out 2 games down the stretch (both losses) because of that injury and has even said he is not fully healed yet. That in no way should be compared to Frank's basic offense which was ONE of the problems COMBINED with Ballard's slow team building approach (in a aggressive landscape) that is lacking at the PREMIUM positions NEEDED to CONTEND in this league. We all love the Colts but some can see our actual reality as it stands now.

Comparing the Colts to the two top seeded Chiefs or Eagles is laughable. As a matter of fact this is the Eagles 2nd SB trip in the last 5 yrs and they've done it with two totally DIFFERENT hc / qb combos. The Chiefs success in that time frame speaks for itself. Over the last SIX seasons ALONE we are under .500 overall, have not won a SINGLE division title (in a weak division), have ONE playoff win and have gone through MULTIPLE JAG type qbs since Luck stepped away eons ago. Our own gm had a presser admitting his failures based on WINS in a result driven league, spoke on our needed talent level upgrade and also acknowledged that he must change his approach to garner better results.

Pointing out our games against the Eagles and Chiefs this season in which we WON 4 games simply falls under the category of ANY GIVEN SUNDAY meaning don't take a bad team lightly!!!

My confidence level is 0 right now. That could change with the right hire as head coach and the right QB. What really scares me is Ballard in charge of this. Until he changes his philosophy of team building and showing me that he can pick the right QB I am skeptical. I think we have become the laughing stock of the nfl and the best coaches and players are not going to come here. It will take at least 5 years to straighten out this mess.

1 hour ago, boo2202 said:

After watching chris jones basically send kc to the super bowl, do you guys still want to trade defo? 

Uh, Jones > DeFo. 

Problem is we’re looking at at least a couple of years before we’re ready to contend. DeFo is a free agent in ‘25 and we already have a few expensive players to sign on top of us needing talent at some expensive positions. 

I’m not saying we absolutely need to, but a lot of positive could come out of trading DeFo now or soon, while we can get something for him. 

Hey Bluephantom I appreciate your feedback, but it doesn't change the fact that the Eagles only won 4 games in 2020. So if they can change coaches and qb and then go to the Super Bowl just 2 years later, why can't we. I mean after all they must have really sucked and been devoid of talent to only win 4 games, right?. This team is not as bad as you guys think it is.

3 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Hey Bluephantom I appreciate your feedback, but it doesn't change the fact that the Eagles only won 4 games in 2020. So if they can change coaches and qb and then go to the Super Bowl just 2 years later, why can't we. I mean after all they must have really sucked and been devoid of talent to only win 4 games, right?. This team is not as bad as you guys think it is.

Two_pound I think you’re getting me wrong. I didn't DENY the Eagles 2020 season which was Wentz's last. YES teams HAVE turned things around quickly but I'm just not sure this one can under Ballard based on his slow approach so far and Irsay's seemingly increasing erratic input on football decisions. Do I trust that they can get the hc / qb combo correct who knows but my confidence level is on the low right now.

What made that Eagles situation work was that they had already drafted Hurts and was willing to move off Wentz DESPITE giving him that huge contract. The decision to go in a different direction meant letting go of SB winning hc Doug P who wanted to continue on with Wentz. The Colts on the other hand tend to hold on for too long wasting valuable time instead of cutting bait sooner on sitiations that garner minimal results.

It couldn't be lower.

Of course if they get 3 or 4 big decisions on the trot absolutely spot on then it could all turn around.

However, why would I have faith in a brains trust who have built a roster using a method I don't believe in and got maybe 25% of big decisions to suddenly have an epiphany and change strategy and start batting 1.000 on their big calls?

Bluephantom, I do agree Mr. Irsay must stop meddling, just let Ballard do his job. As you can tell I am in Ballards camp I think he has done a great job. Now it's time to end the qb carousel and get the head coach right and we will be highly competitive for years to come.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The confidence level is directly linked to Irsay's whimsical mind and as it goes towards rational decision making, the confidence level gets higher. That is all I am going to say. :) 

This, if this team can settle into a professional organization,  I feel good that they can move forward and be competitive.  I'm not interested in whimsy lol

19 hours ago, Two_pound said:

So, we beat one super bowl participant  this year and outplayed the other one with a coach in just his second game(who I hope we don't hire) but somehow we suck. You are never as good as you look when you are winning and never as bad as you look when you are losing. This Colt team has a lot more talent than most of you think. 

This doesn't mean anything. The Bears beat the 49ers and the Chiefs this season and they suck, too.

18 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Uh, Jones > DeFo. 

Problem is we’re looking at at least a couple of years before we’re ready to contend. DeFo is a free agent in ‘25 and we already have a few expensive players to sign on top of us needing talent at some expensive positions. 

I’m not saying we absolutely need to, but a lot of positive could come out of trading DeFo now or soon, while we can get something for him. 

Agreed... And this is true for multiple of our best players... I'd say the same for JT, Pittman, Kelly, Leonard, maybe even... ..... ........:hide:

23 hours ago, boo2202 said:

After watching chris jones basically send kc to the super bowl, do you guys still want to trade defo? 

Yes if we can get a good return.  

1.  iMO Jones is way way better than Buck.  Our fans want him to be Jones good but he’s just not and frankly never has been.  He’s good but not Jones good.

2.  Another big reason is it’s likely at least  going to be a couple years until Colts have a chance to be competitive again.  And by that time then you’d be having to pay him big money and he’d be aging by then.  I think we should shop Gilmore and Buckner and see what the interest is.  

22 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Uh, Jones > DeFo. 

Funny posted basically the same thing before reading.  
Jones is to me way better and I definitely think we should shop Buck and Gilmore who to me are both unlikely to be as good as they are when we are ready to compete again.

21 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Well if we get a stud QB in the draft, draft a top 10 type WR, then sign one of the top 5 receivers to go with it, have the oline go from one of the worst to one of the best then sure.  Haven’t even mentioned the D.  

but the main thing here remains they drafted a great QB with the 54th pick.

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well if we get a stud QB in the draft, draft a top 10 type WR, then sign one of the top 5 receivers to go with it, have the oline go from one of the worst to one of the best then sure.  Haven’t even mentioned the D.  

Don't throw the terms great loosely man!!! Hurts is a very good QB but he has a season or two of consistency to show that he can be great when the bullseye gets bigger and schedules get tougher year after year facing division winners. Not to mention when he gets paid and the Eagles will be forced to make some hard decisions.

On 1/29/2023 at 7:09 PM, coming on strong said:

i agree they get zero separation pierce and pittman both are good at high pointing passing and being big and physical but cant get real separation .  every catch is in traffic that is not good causes a lot of picks

Not saying we have the best receivers but they could be effective with some improved route trees designed to open up space.  It is possible to scheme guys open.

And look at Travis Kelsey.  Arguably the best TE in the league gets open many times by just taking a couple of steps into an open space and stops.  I'm not saying it would always be that easy for WRs but many teams are also effective with WR screens.  We have been pathetic at screens.

27 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Not saying we have the best receivers but they could be effective with some improved route trees designed to open up space.  It is possible to scheme guys open.

And look at Travis Kelsey.  Arguably the best TE in the league gets open many times by just taking a couple of steps into an open space and stops.  I'm not saying it would always be that easy for WRs but many teams are also effective with WR screens.  We have been pathetic at screens.

59 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Don't throw the terms great loosely man!!! Hurts is a very good QB but he has a season or two of consistency to show that he can be great when the bullseye gets bigger and schedules get tougher year after year facing division winners. Not to mention when he gets paid and the Eagles will be forced to make some hard decisions.

He looks great so far to me.  I mean semantics whatever.  Dudes been fantastic.

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

Hurts isn't a great passer, he is a great athlete though.   

17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yep we have a flakey borderline out of touch owner making inexplicable, impulsive decisions that no one can figure out.

Hes killing this clubs chances.

Killing this teams chances for what? The Colts were a dumpster fire offensively since the final 2 games of last season. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Killing this teams chances for what? The Colts were a dumpster fire offensively since the final 2 games of last season. 

His intervention has been going on for while.  Now understand crazy this is my speculation.   But read the article Chad posted. Mots pretty much right along with what I thought might be going on. 

you are into speculation now apparently so you should understand it’s what I feel.

15 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

So does this clear up that Irsay did in fact bench Ryan? 

Seems to donut?  But technically I guess we will never know lol.

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

His intervention has been going on for while.  Now understand crazy this is my speculation.   But read the article Chad posted. Mots pretty much right along with what I thought might be going on. 

you are into speculation now apparently so you should understand it’s what I feel.

Seems to donut?  But technically I guess we will never know lol.

Ehh yea. The other odd thing Irsay said that doesn’t quite make sense to me, is that he reluctantly extended Reich.

Why was he reluctant? If he was reluctant, why did he extend him? I don’t remember for sure, but don’t think Frank’s contract was up? Was it just to tie him and Ballard together, in terms of contract duration?

Just seems like an odd thing to say at the time, even if it was 100% true.

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ehh yea. The other odd thing Irsay said that doesn’t quite make sense to me, is that he reluctantly extended Reich.

Why was he reluctant? If he was reluctant, why did he extend him? I don’t remember for sure, but don’t think Frank’s contract was up? Was it just to tie him and Ballard together, in terms of contract duration?

Just seems like an odd thing to say at the time, even if it was 100% true.

I think . . .total speculation now.  Irsay wants to be liked and has a habit of doubling down.  He did the same thing for Grigs and Pagano.  He extended to big money and years then fired one then the other.

i think he’s too much of a fan to be a very good owner.  

Archived