Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This season has not been Matts fault

Indeee

Matt Ryan is just like any other person on this planet who doesn't want to admit to themselves that maybe their time has passed them by. 

This season falls clearly on whoever refused to see that Matts time had passed him by.

Julio knew it three years ago. 

Matt Ryan is one of the best QBs to have ever played the game. I respect him. 

It's okay Matt. At the end of the day, it's just one season in a HOF career that went one season too long.

-Peace

Matt doesn’t play defense, so no one can say it’s HIS fault teams are putting up 33-36 points in a quarter/half of football. Matt does play QB though, and the inability to throw guys open, scramble and consistently push the ball downfield beyond 3-6 yard passes is his fault. There’s no denying that. 

27 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Matt doesn’t play defense, so no one can say it’s HIS fault teams are putting up 33-36 points in a quarter/half of football. Matt does play QB though, and the inability to throw guys open, scramble and consistently push the ball downfield beyond 3-6 yard passes is his fault. There’s no denying that. 

Seems like he's the perfect guy to throw WR screens . I say just keep calling that play and we should get our QB April of 2023.

A lot of our horrible season absolutely falls on Ryan…I mean what like 14 fumbles and 13 interceptions? Not to mention so many horrible passes that a donkey could complete. To think otherwise is silly.

Plenty of blame to go around. But the one player on the offensive side of the ball who has sucked the worst…Ryan. 

Its not one players or one coaches fault. This whole team is bad from the GM to the coaches to the culture to the players, to how the roster is assembled. Its systemic team wide problems that lead to the epic collapses we have witnessed the last 2 games. 

Also I think him starting that fumbling fest affected the whole O. I think from Pittman to Jackson today and Taylor almost everyone has fumble that has no history in the past like Taylor or Pittman. 

Also I dont think Pittman is a true WR1. Again Matt Ryan might not be the only problem but does play the major part of Colts disaster. 

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

Matt Ryan is just like any other person on this planet who doesn't want to admit to themselves that maybe their time has passed them by. 

This season falls clearly on whoever refused to see that Matts time had passed him by.

It's okay Matt. At the end of the day, it's just one season in a HOF career that went one season too long.

-Peace

2 to 3 seasons too long

3 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

A lot of our horrible season absolutely falls on Ryan…I mean what like 14 fumbles and 13 interceptions? Not to mention so many horrible passes that a donkey could complete. To think otherwise is silly.

Plenty of blame to go around. But the one player on the offensive side of the ball who has sucked the worst…Ryan. 

That’s nuts man 14 fumbles and 13 int for a vet qb 

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

When a defense only has to cover 5-15 yards down field, doesn’t have to worry about a qb running, and lineman are rushing a stationary target, it’s pretty hard to get open! 

Doesn’t help when the Wr drop passes either when they get get open and it’s good pass once in a blue moon 

6 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

That’s nuts man 14 fumbles and 13 int for a vet qb 

When people say our defense is trash, you also have to realize- that's 18 total turnovers this dude has committed. 13 INTs and 5 Fumbles Lost. 

Average games have maybe... 9-12 drives per team. Our defense has played almost 2 extra games worth of drives just off the turnovers. Not even counting the insane amount of 3 and out or quick punt possessions we have. 

He’s the absolute drizzling %s and he owes Irsay every penny he’s been paid this season because he’s flat out been stealing from him. If he has any reservations about retiring after this season he needs to be tied to a chair and forced to watch the % he’s put on tape and made us all endure every week until he does the right thing and takes his * home. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s the absolute drizzling %s and he owes Irsay every penny he’s been paid this season because he’s flat out been stealing from him. If he has any reservations about retiring after this season he needs to be tied to a chair and forced to watch the % he’s put on tape and made us all endure every week until he does the right thing and takes his * home. :dunno:

There's two people that touch the ball on almost every play, and if the second guy sucks, then your team is in for a bad time. 

11 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

There's two people that touch the ball on almost every play, and if the second guy sucks, then your team is in for a bad time. 

It certainly didn't help that our MVP candidate from last season (JT) reverted to an injury/fumbling machine in this one.

I believe Irsay has mismanaged this season.  He makes Frank play the kid QB, which actually was a good call just to let him get snaps so our backup would have real experience to build on and we would find out what his strengths and weaknesses are in those real snaps.  But then he fires Frank and hires Saturday who is coming in fresh and wants to work with the old QB we know isn't going to make the difference.  And the end result is we don't get to benefit from this losing by looking at the young depth QB in what would be valuable snaps. 

Nope let's give the snaps to Ryan.  It's a shame and makes me think there is little chance of a good hire coming this offseason.  This is simply not a smart organization and when that starts from the top there's really no escape.  I fear Irsay is going to struggle badly in whatever remaining years he has left.

1 hour ago, Dark_Indy said:

When people say our defense is trash, you also have to realize- that's 18 total turnovers this dude has committed. 13 INTs and 5 Fumbles Lost. 

Average games have maybe... 9-12 drives per team. Our defense has played almost 2 extra games worth of drives just off the turnovers. Not even counting the insane amount of 3 and out or quick punt possessions we have. 

Yea and the short fields from the untimely turn overs and he takes some of the longest sacks I ever seen like 7-10 yard sacks instead of 3-4 yards like other QBs . The offense is so bad because he can’t throw the deep ball u less it’s a 2 step drop. So defense know play tight to wrs and blitz and don’t worry about the deep ball at all

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

It certainly didn't help that our MVP candidate from last season (JT) reverted to an injury/fumbling machine in this one.

Injuries happen. 

However, to say he's a fumbling machine is a bit off. He had 3 fumbles this year, and 3 last year. Same as. 

Matt Ryan is the fumbling machine. 

7 hours ago, Indeee said:

-Peace

So what do we do? 

57 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

Injuries happen. 

However, to say he's a fumbling machine is a bit off. He had 3 fumbles this year, and 3 last year. Same as. 

Omg, yes. 

1 hour ago, Dark_Indy said:

Injuries happen. 

I guess JT's fumbles are more memorable because they always came at crucial times, like on the goal line or when we were poised to gain or extend a lead.

It's also odd that the "injuries happen" explanation doesn't seem to apply to Matt Ryan, who has been sacked and/or hit more than most other QBs.

27 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I guess JT's fumbles are more memorable because they always came at crucial times, like on the goal line or when we were poised to gain or extend a lead.

It's also odd that the "injuries happen" explanation doesn't seem to apply to Matt Ryan, who has been sacked and/or hit more than most other QBs.

Is that supposed to be a "gotcha"?

He had two games I remember where he didn't fumble or throw an interception this year. 

Two games where he sat out and Ehlinger played because he was injured. Every other game? He's trotted out there and just crapped the bucket. I dont understand how you equate sacks to injury. Can a player get hurt on a sack? Yep. Do they? Rarely. 

JTs fumbles might be more memorable because they happen so infrequently compared to Matt Ryan, or you might just be a Matt Ryan apologist

28-3 and 33-0 leads with teams that have Matt Ryan as their QB just never wins.

Yes the defence was utterly terrible last night in the last 2 quarters, but come on... if this is not on matt ryan, well nothing ever will be.

All he had to do was running down the clock and create one or two first downs, but even that he couldn't manage to do.

Matt Ryan will go down in history as the guy who had 2 huge leads and still managed to lose the game.

Once Matty ICE... well he's more like melted ice and one of the worst QB's the colts have ever had under center.

But if we ever sucked for luck, we now def suck for a QB in the coming draft.

inside run for 2 yards

5 yard in route to pittman

wr screen for loss of 2 yards

punt

49 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

28-3 and 33-0 leads with teams that have Matt Ryan as their QB just never wins.

Yes the defence was utterly terrible last night in the last 2 quarters, but come on... if this is not on matt ryan, well nothing ever will be.

All he had to do was running down the clock and create one or two first downs, but even that he couldn't manage to do.

Matt Ryan will go down in history as the guy who had 2 huge leads and still managed to lose the game.

Once Matty ICE... well he's more like melted ice and one of the worst QB's the colts have ever had under center.

But if we ever sucked for luck, we now def suck for a QB in the coming draft.

this is our one plus side. at least we are getting closer to a young QB. 

5 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I believe Irsay has mismanaged this season.  He makes Frank play the kid QB, which actually was a good call just to let him get snaps so our backup would have real experience to build on and we would find out what his strengths and weaknesses are in those real snaps.  But then he fires Frank and hires Saturday who is coming in fresh and wants to work with the old QB we know isn't going to make the difference.  And the end result is we don't get to benefit from this losing by looking at the young depth QB in what would be valuable snaps. 

Nope let's give the snaps to Ryan.  It's a shame and makes me think there is little chance of a good hire coming this offseason.  This is simply not a smart organization and when that starts from the top there's really no escape.  I fear Irsay is going to struggle badly in whatever remaining years he has left.

Unfortunately, the bottom line....

The colts offense shows competitiveness in the first half, before going on a series of 3 and outs punting the ball all the 2nd half. 

I don’t understand why no one wants to blame an offense that put up 3 points in the 2nd half, never responded to the other team putting up 7…. 7 points? 3 and out. 7 points? 3 and out. Let’s keep blaming the defense when the offense didn’t respond at all to every score the Vikings made. 

the defense gave us 7 and the special teams gave us 7. They gave the offense nearly half of their lead for them. 

And we are blaming defense? 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

inside run for 2 yards

5 yard in route to pittman

wr screen for loss of 2 yards

punt

this is our one plus side. at least we are getting closer to a young QB. 

Not if they win 2 games, will draft lower.

Just now, JColts72 said:

Not if they win 2 more games, will draft lower.

Matt Ryan is basically Carson Wentz with much more turnovers and less scrambling ability. This is the difference between us getting destroyed week-to-week and being a borderline playoff team. Honestly, even when we are ahead 33-0 at the end of the first half, we still only have 1 offensive TD. That's with great field position. The defense is still doing the work.

Matt Ryan needs to go at the end of the year. We can only pray he retires to open up some cap room for next year. If I were Irsay, I'd tell him if you don't retire, you will ride the bench for all of next year and there's no chance of playing. Draft a QB in the first two rounds and start developing him immediately. Even if you draft Hendon Hooker and he can't start right away, start Nick Foles and not Matt Ryan until he recovers from his injury.

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Matt Ryan is basically Carson Wentz with much more turnovers and less scrambling ability. This is the difference between us getting destroyed week-to-week and being a borderline playoff team. Honestly, even when we are ahead 33-0 at the end of the first half, we still only have 1 offensive TD. That's with great field position. The defense is still doing the work.

Matt Ryan needs to go at the end of the year. We can only pray he retires to open up some cap room for next year. If I were Irsay, I'd tell him if you don't retire, you will ride the bench for all of next year and there's no chance of playing. Draft a QB in the first two rounds and start developing him immediately. Even if you draft Hendon Hooker and he can't start right away, start Nick Foles and not Matt Ryan until he recovers from his injury.

starting to think Hendon is the guy to get. I would be okay with him sitting and learning.  

The million dollar question is how our GM did not see Ryan was washed several years ago. when a regular fan like me could see this. He never could move and now has a noodle arm that can't complete a pass over 10 yards. Please Irsay Ballard must go and do not let him pick our future QB. He has had plenty of chances.

8 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

It's a shame and makes me think there is little chance of a good hire coming this offseason.  This is simply not a smart organization and when that starts from the top there's really no escape.  I fear Irsay is going to struggle badly in whatever remaining years he has left.

This is unfortunately a very valid concern…

12 hours ago, husker61 said:

When a defense only has to cover 5-15 yards down field, doesn’t have to worry about a qb running, and lineman are rushing a stationary target, it’s pretty hard to get open! 

Agreed.  And it affects everything.  Defense can afford to rush more, running lanes close, tighter coverage on receivers as it’s only necessary for a short time, short stints on offense leading to an exhausted defense which shows itself in the 4th quarter, etc..  I’m probably in the minority, but I do think the team is well put together, but horribly impacted by poor QB play and decision making.  Above average QB and our record easily flips.

Archived