Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger arm strength.

Stephen

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

So before he was drafted there were alot of people questioning his arm strength, but he had a video of himself throwing 77 yards. So my question is how strong do scouts want someones arm to be.

i think its more about velocity than length he can throw .   in college he threw more of lob passes teams are looking for that zip on his throws .     he can go deep but it needs to get to the wr faster not hang in the air as long .    sam has worked on it all off season he looks buff this year .

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i think its more about velocity than length he can throw

exactly.  it's more about putting enough velocity to get the ball to the WR before the CB can get in front of it.  that's critical especially against zone defenses

46 minutes ago, Stephen said:

So before he was drafted there were alot of people questioning his arm strength, but he had a video of himself throwing 77 yards. So my question is how strong do scouts want someones arm to be.

The Colts don’t throw many deep balls or throws outside the numbers. Don’t think arm strength in this offense is an issue. 

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

The Colts don’t throw many deep balls or throws outside the numbers. Don’t think arm strength in this offense is an issue. 

Not entirely true. Carson threw deep plenty. Just comes down to what your QB can do.

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Yea but not thriwing downfield enough causes defenses to sit on the short routes

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Regardless, the oline doesn't allow us to throw deep unless Sam can use his feet to buy time.

There are times where the line has held up long enough for a deep pass but matt ryan had gotten hit so much that even when he had time he would throw it to other team sometimes. A couple plats in denver game comes to mind

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There are times where the line has held up long enough for a deep pass but matt ryan had gotten hit so much that even when he had time he would throw it to other team sometimes. A couple plats in denver game comes to mind

He looked shell shocked out there and it was sad.

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I will say it is funny how since he became the starter everyone is talking about how he worked with Tom House in the off-season 

We talked about that since preseason when the improvement of Sam was evident. I wasnt a Sam fan last year I was rooting for Eason, but this year in preseason he looked like a completely different guy. Im impressed with his improvement.

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Few and far in between. Even three step drops, Matt was getting blasted.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

No question. Everyone kept saying the oline was gonna get Matt seriously hurt.

Honestly you would think Ballard would know to take the oline seriously from Luck retiring. We shiuld not have let both guards walk without adding a proven replacement

40 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We talked about that since preseason when the improvement of Sam was evident. I wasnt a Sam fan last year I was rooting for Eason, but this year in preseason he looked like a completely different guy. Im impressed with his improvement.

I was in the exact same boat. I viewed Sam as to gimmicky for my taste and really wanted us to continue developing Eason. Silenced me in the preseason and if he balls out I’ve got some crow too eat.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

I was in the exact same boat. I viewed Sam as to gimmicky for my taste and really wanted us to continue developing Eason. Silenced me in the preseason and if he balls out I’ve got some crow too eat.

The main issue is some scouts compared him to Tebow who wasnt really the best passer, but I think Sam is better than tebow

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

It can’t be any worse than Ryan’s this year

It’s not going to be his arm strength, it will be how fast he can process.  Defenses are going to blitz Sam until he proves otherwise.  They did the same to Matt Ryan.  Yes the OL is struggling but too many defenders had straight paths untouched. That is mostly on the QB for not recognizing and shifting protection while identifying hot routes. Sam seems to have a deep understanding of the offense for a 2nd year player. I hope it translates so the defense will back off. Then we will get to see how his arm strength is. 

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It’s not going to be his arm strength, it will be how fast he can process.  Defenses are going to blitz Sam until he proves otherwise.  They did the same to Matt Ryan.  Yes the OL is struggling but too many defenders had straight paths untouched. That is mostly on the QB for not recognizing and shifting protection while identifying hot routes. Sam seems to have a deep understanding of the offense for a 2nd year player. I hope it translates so the defense will back off. Then we will get to see how his arm strength is. 

The beauty of having Sam is if they do send a blitz off the left side for example they can shift the protection so Sam will be able to rollout to his right and away from the defender, we couldn't do that with Ryan and hopefully it will take pressure off the OL from having to protect a statue.

14 hours ago, Stephen said:

I’m watching all the throw in the 22 preseason and I don’t really see the driving velocity it has so good touch but still seem to take a while to get there, similarly to Matt’s ball. He does have a lot more movement and physical strength than Matt doesn’t go down at the gust of wind and fumble like Matt. I am a little concerned about his tendency to only throw to the left side of field I didn’t count every single pass but I can say if he threw 20 passes 16 of them was on left side of field. He might do better since he is a rpo type qb which Matt isn’t and he probably knows the play book better than Matt since this is his second year in it. Looking forward to some exciting football with the expected growing pains 

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

Strong enough to make ALL the throws.   If you can’t make all the throws defenses will figure it out pretty quickly.    And that will only make Sam’s job more difficult.  

Also must put into perspective Sam isn’t “new” to the offense like Ryan is somewhat. I’m just more intrigued to see what he can do win or lose at this point we saw what we had with Ryan lol..kill Sam Too and that’s someone’s job I think or if we can’t still get this offense to score more than 10 pts on a regular 

Traditionally, it takes a lot of arm talent to throw the deep out.  Its a timing pattern where the Qb has to know when the WR makes his cut, and he has to drive the ball on a line to get it there before the DB recovers from the WR cutting to the boundary.

IMO, these throws are not as prevalent in the NFL as they used to be, partly because the QBs don't have the arm talent  and the pattern/throw itself is susceptible to mistakes and interceptions.  I don't recall any of the Colts Qbs throwing many of these passes under Reich, so I don't know that Sams lake of arm strength to drive the ball on a line in these situations is all that detrimental.

He has enough strength to loop the ball down the field and over the trailing defender's shoulder...yes...much more than 30 air yards down field.

According to Frank, Sam has gotten better at the deeper throws into tighter coverages.....hitting the receiver before the S closes....and that requires driving the ball well and also throwing the ball on time and not late (a big part of it).

We'll see if that's true...and how much Frank trusts him by the plays he calls.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

MO, these throws are not as prevalent in the NFL as they used to be, partly because the QBs don't have the arm talent  and the pattern/throw itself is susceptible to mistakes and interceptions. 

I miss those throws... That was the type of stuff that got Eli Manning his $$$. 

The toughest throws will be the comeback to the sidelines across the field or even sometimes on the same side of the field where the CB is playing tight, IMO. Until he gets a good comfort level, throws down the seams may be avoided because there will be safety or LB help there typically. Best to hit pass catchers going towards the sidelines on either 3rd of the field if he throws farther. Otherwise best to throw short and quick RPO slants.

I expect to see quick hitting RPO slant throws, handoffs or QB runs based on the edge defender crashing in, whether it is LB or DE.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I expect to see quick hitting RPO slant throws, handoffs or QB runs based on the edge defender crashing in, whether it is LB or DE.

I do too, but I really hope Frank lets him throw it down field a small handful of times over the course of the game.

PI would be nice, but just loosening up the D would be very beneficial to the rest of the play calling.

3 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I’m watching all the throw in the 22 preseason and I don’t really see the driving velocity it has so good touch but still seem to take a while to get there, similarly to Matt’s ball. He does have a lot more movement and physical strength than Matt doesn’t go down at the gust of wind and fumble like Matt. I am a little concerned about his tendency to only throw to the left side of field I didn’t count every single pass but I can say if he threw 20 passes 16 of them was on left side of field. He might do better since he is a rpo type qb which Matt isn’t and he probably knows the play book better than Matt since this is his second year in it. Looking forward to some exciting football with the expected growing pains 

Yep. He clearly still has a weaker arm. Perhaps it's better than last season, but there's little velocity on those throws. 

I noticed the left side tendency, but what I really noticed is that he bails on the pocket almost every time. That's probably going to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. Bailing on the pocket early can you get you in a lot of trouble.

He was very productive in college and had arm strength questions up to and after the draft. He did, however, go to Tom House's QB School to improve his arm strength over the off-season. So perhaps a tweak in his delivery and arm strength specific exercises will have improved his spin rate. He will be no John Elway by any means, but even Peyton had arm strength "questions" coming out. I compare him more to a Drew Brees though in stature and arm strength but better running ability.

"Texas Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger is leaving the school with a 30-16 overall record, including 11,436 passing yards and 94 touchdowns. The dual-threat signal-caller also added on 1,903 rushing yards and 33 touchdowns in his four-year career."

In comparison, Drew left Purdue with a 24-13 record, 11,792 passing yards and 90 touchdowns with only 900 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns.

Pretty eerily similar production for little dudes playing for a power 5 school.....

Will it translate onto Sunday for Sam, we shall see come this weekend and the rest of the year!

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not entirely true. Carson threw deep plenty. Just comes down to what your QB can do.

Thats not entirely true either as the receiver has to get open  or seem to be open enough that the QB takes the chance to throw it to them. 

Ryan has shown he can still throw deep ENOUGH. Yes some can throw deeper and some not as far. 

For instance in the Jags game the reason they went for the lateral play versus the hail mary wasn't based all on arm strength of their QB.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

He was very productive in college and had arm strength questions up to and after the draft. He did, however, go to Tom House's QB School to improve his arm strength over the off-season. So perhaps a tweak in his delivery and arm strength specific exercises will have improved his spin rate. He will be no John Elway by any means, but even Peyton had arm strength "questions" coming out. I compare him more to a Drew Brees though in stature and arm strength but better running ability.

"Texas Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger is leaving the school with a 30-16 overall record, including 11,436 passing yards and 94 touchdowns. The dual-threat signal-caller also added on 1,903 rushing yards and 33 touchdowns in his four-year career."

In comparison, Drew left Purdue with a 24-13 record, 11,792 passing yards and 90 touchdowns with only 900 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns.

Pretty eerily similar production for little dudes playing for a power 5 school.....

Will it translate onto Sunday for Sam, we shall see come this weekend and the rest of the year!

I just listened to the 1% better podcast and they were saying that.   There were throws he wasn't making when first drafted but has worked diligently with House and made tremendous improvement so that he made throws this preseason that he would never had attempted before.  

I guess we will find out on sunday.

I think scouts look for quarterbacks who can make "all the throws" across the football field.

You don't draft a QB who "specializes" in the deep ball - as you aren't always going to have the wideouts that can prosper doing that continually.

A quarterback prospect has to have decent arm strength - good field vision - the ability to deliver to wideouts in the entire "route tree" - and - the "touch" to deliver it in the right place at the right time.

Archived