Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign another safety: Rodney McLeod

Bravo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good depth. Probably won't be get Tyron Mathieu with this pick and the other safety that was just signed, but I'm okay with that.

I do think we should still get a starting CB though at some point this off-season.

Blue stable called this before the off-season started as a Ballard guy and likeliest target

probably entertained Mathieu and as it became clear we’d have too much competition and the price would be getting beyond our comfort we pivoted. Good signing though. 

https://www.thebluestable.com/colts/five-secondary-players-the-colts-could-look-to-add-in-free-agency/

Aside from last season, he's graded out really well in coverage in past years from PFF.

2021 - 58.4

2020 - 77.3

2019 - 70.6

2018 - 78.2

2017 - 77.4

Since 2014, he's never been below a 70, with the exception of last year. I'm assuming the recovery from the injury didn't help. If he's back to form, he gives us someone with solid coverage ability at the safety position and a strong veteran presence in the safety room.

From what I was reading on an Eagles beat writer's piece, McLeod was looking old and beat the first chunk of the season, then they cut back his snaps from 100% to 75%, and he looked like his old self again. Sounds like he needs to be in a solid safety rotation to be able to play at a high level still, but I think that works with the guys we have.

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Ohhhh you're right. I could have swore that happened last season.

He missed the 1st 3 games of the 2021 season due to his injury in 2020. He ended up having a solid year working his way back from injury. He ended the season with an int in each of the last 2 games.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And for what it’s worth:

McLoud is listed at 5’10 and 195.   Clearly this front office is not worried about a safety being under-sized. 

And for the record:  Mathieu is 5’8” and 190.

They don’t want the opposing quarterbacks to be able to see them. That way the coverage will be disguised.

This is a good veteran depth/starter signing.......has A LOT of starting experience at 123 games to add to the mix with Blackmon, Willis and the other new safety Watts (who likely was brought in for his Special Teams ability more than his Safety play).

Does not stop the FO from drafting a Safety in a few weeks!

This puts the roster at 61 players......29 away from the 90 man roster that is authorized. Draft is in exactly 20 days so I would imagine we are in for a heavy dose of UDFA's after our 'current' 7 draft picks have been selected.

I have a suspicion that Ballard will be trading back at 42 to pick up a couple more picks though as he always does.

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

This is a good veteran depth/starter signing.......has A LOT of starting experience at 123 games to add to the mix with Blackmon, Willis and the other new safety Watts (who likely was brought in for his Special Teams ability more than his Safety play).

Does not stop the FO from drafting a Safety in a few weeks!

Agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the last sentence. I think we go elsewhere now in the draft. Maybe pick up a UDFA or two at S.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

This puts the roster at 61 players......29 away from the 90 man roster that is authorized. Draft is in exactly 20 days so I would imagine we are in for a heavy dose of UDFA's after our 'current' 7 draft picks have been selected.

I have a suspicion that Ballard will be trading back at 42 to pick up a couple more picks though as he always does.

Yeah, or 73, or my fave would be trading down from 42, and then do it again at 122.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, or 73, or my fave would be trading down from 42, and then do it again at 122.

I'm sure he will as he is usually pretty set at his targets and where to get them. Those targets and where to get them don't usually match any of the draftnik ratings either so that is always funny seeing peoples head explode on here and the talking heads on TV. 

He will likely pull off two trades on draft day to get his guys!

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Maybe this makes draft day trade bait out of Willis. 
   Yoohoo Chicago... Philly
    Coverage isn't his strength.

?????

Scroll thru this thread.   There’s a post showing McLoud has graded 70 or higher most every year of his career in coverage.   I think he’s insurance on Blackmon who is coming off the Achilles injury.   I think Willis is safe. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

?????

Scroll thru this thread.   There’s a post showing McLoud has graded 70 or higher most every year of his career in coverage.   I think he’s insurance on Blackmon who is coming off the Achilles injury.   I think Willis is safe. 

Thanks, but i read a number of pieces on McCloud before i chose to comment.

So i don't. Willis would bleed in coverage like a stuck pig if asked to play up in cover three. Are we at an impass or shall you lecture on? 

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks, but i read a number of pieces on McCloud before i chose to comment.

So i don't. Willis would bleed in coverage like a stuck pig if asked to play up in cover three. Are we at an impass or shall you lecture on? 

Lecture?

Mclouds strength is coverage, his grades say so.   His size says more free safety than strong.   Blackmon is coming off a major injury and Willis is healthy.  So pretty much everything points to insurance for Blackmon. 

You're entitled to any opinion you want.  I don’t care if you agree with me.   But all the known facts say you’re wrong.  That the opposite is true.

There’s my lecture for the day….   :hat:

We typically keep 4 Safety's and 6 Corner's, now with Bradley that may change a bit but we are at 5  Safetys currently with Will Redmon likely the odd man out and the other 4 making up the unit if those numbers stay the same.

We have 8 Corners but only 3 guaranteed spots in Moore,Rodgers and Facyson. Tell is a wild card, one of Wilcox or Chesley likely sticks so sitting on 4-5 with 1-2 spots left to fill.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing we aren't interested in a S in the draft. With Watts and Mcleod, it looks like the S depth is fixed. That's a positive.

Right after I put out my mock draft with us taking a safety in the 3rd round lol.

1 hour ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

A veteran that fits a need, whether he is a starter or not, is needed presently...I don't understand the complaints?

Haven't you heard?

68% of the posters are closet GMs. They know EVERYTHING!

Archived