Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly is Not an Asset

Nickster

He’s an OK center but many people trowing his name around as a trade asset.  I don’t understand this.  His salary is high and his play is barely average.  Why would he bring back any value?

to me the guy is a negative asset and might need incentive from the Colts for a team to take him.  He’s even cuttable,IMO.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nickster said:

He’s an OK center but many people trowing his name around as a trade asset.  I don’t understand this.  His salary is high and his play is barely average.  Why would he bring back any value?

to me the guy is a negative asset and might need incentive from the Colts for a team to take him.  He’s even cuttable,IMO.

Can Hunt or Pinter play as good. I know he had a lingering elbow injury might as well play the contract out. I believe are best trade assets are Hines and Moore. Rogers would be a great Nickel QB in my opinion. And we have Mack and Deon Jackson for RB 2 and 3. I love Hines and Moore but if they could help land us a good vet DE, LT, WR, QB, or FS I would pull the trigger.   

11 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Can Hunt or Pinter play as good. I know he had a lingering elbow injury might as well play the contract out. I believe are best trade assets are Hines and Moore. Rogers would be a great Nickel QB in my opinion. And we have Mack and Deon Jackson for RB 2 and 3. I love Hines and Moore but if they could help land us a good vet DE, LT, WR, QB, or FS I would pull the trigger.   

we need CB and you want to get rid of our best one.. smh 

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Hes a pro bowler.. cuttable? barely average? CUTTABLE??? not the smartest football fan I can tell.

35 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yes….  Once again it’s time for the BIGGEST Prisoner of the Moment!!     :thmup:

I can see him possibly being a cap casualty with 10m due next year.  Depends on who we can get during FA and if we need the cap relief.    We have options on the bench and he isn’t a Ballard guy. The most we may get for him is a 4th but most likely will be later rounds or straight out release. Nelson’s extension and what we do at RG and LT will be a factor as well. Not sure what the Colts will do here. 

33 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

For what it’s worth….

Hunt isn’t even on the team.  He was released a while back. 

12 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I can see him possibly being a cap casualty with 10m due next year.  Depends on who we can get during FA and if we need the cap relief.    We have options on the bench and he isn’t a Ballard guy. The most we may get for him is a 4th but most likely will be later rounds or straight out release. Nelson’s extension and what we do at RG and LT will be a factor as well. Not sure what the Colts will do here. 

His dead cap is more than his cap hit next year.   He won't be cut

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His dead cap is more than his cap hit next year.   He won't be cut

I was wondering what his dead cap hit would be before I posted. I was trying to find his original signing bonus.  I also know he restructured last year.  Didn’t see it after a quick search and gave up lol

edit- I found salary cap info.  Looks like there are not many options for salary cap relief by cutting players.  Maybe Grover or Doyle. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

A two time pro bowler and second team all-pro is not an asset. Ok if you say so.:facepalm:

21 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

What are you talking about

What I'm saying is that Kelly is not worth the money he was .... PAID. 

And if you get a contract....

And don't play up to the level expected....

You are taking the money like a crook....

He got paid by Irsay and has no intention of playing to past standards anymore...

Robbery my friend!

3 minutes ago, Introspect said:

What I'm saying that Kelly is not worth the money he was .... PAID. 

He got paid by Irsay and has no intention of playing to past standards anymore...

Robbery my friend!

Did you ever have a bad day/week at work and still accept your paycheck?  Does that make you a robbing crook?

He has no intention of playing to past standards. You know this how?  Or did you just make it up like how you called him a criminal

I don’t know about all the other stuff, but I agree that he’s not a huge trade asset.

Definitely wouldn’t get a first, and I doubt he’d get a second. Possibly a late third but only from some contending team desperate for OL help. Kelly’s good, but he’s not young and he’s dealt with a lot of nagging injuries. 

13 minutes ago, Introspect said:

What I'm saying is that Kelly is not worth the money he was .... PAID. 

Robbery my friend!

"no intention"????  "No Intention"?????

I'm conjuring up an image of Kelly sitting at home playing Grand Theft Auto, snickering to himself because the team thinks he's working out, or something.

I don't think so.

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

"no intention"????  "No Intention"?????

I'm conjuring up an image of Kelly sitting at home playing Grand Theft Auto, snickering to himself because the team thinks he's working out, or something.

I don't think so.

Not arguing with you. I hope you're right but....

Some players are motivated to be great...

Others take the money and run.....

I just believe a guy like Leonard has the desire to be GREAT... Kelly not so much.

Just my opinion. Just my opinion. We will see how things pan out in the next 2 years...

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….

Hunt isn’t even on the team.  He was released a while back. 

If I may quote from an American masterpiece of cinema, “Forget it, he’s rolling…”

(In response to: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

He’s not cuttable this year for salary cap reasons.  After 2022 it would save the Colts a lot of money if Pinter has the team’s confidence. Kelly is still well thought of around the league.  The tough thing about dealing him is his contract.  There are also a few good centers on the FA market and in the draft. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That’s what I’m talking about.  He is not a trade asset.  He was bad this year and barely average last year.

no one is going to give us anything for his level of play at. his cap number.

if he was on a rookie contract.  He could brings some thing but not at 10 mill cap number.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People don't understand how important O.Lineman are, that is what ended Andrew's career because we had butt for Lineman when he played.

You can have good oline man but that doesn’t mean they all have to be high priced vets. Having a couple on rookie contracts can help when it comes to signing higher level skill positions.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He’s not cuttable this year for salary cap reasons.  After 2022 it would save the Colts a lot of money if Pinter has the team’s confidence. Kelly is still well thought of around the league.  The tough thing about dealing him is his contract.  There are also a few good centers on the FA market and in the draft. 

That was my point. There is no trade value at his rate of pay. We 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

The guy is a recent pro bowl center. 

46 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That was my point. There is no trade value at his rate of pay. We 

You have to keep in mind the Colts eat the signing bonus in a trade so the cap hit is a bit less for the team getting him in a trade. It also means the team receiving him would have no dead money. 

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People don't understand how important O.Lineman are, that is what ended Andrew's career because we had butt for Lineman when he played.

We had one of the best olines in the league when he quit.  The line sucked previously but Luck also held the ball way too long.  There’s an argument to be made that long developing plays are partly to blame. There’s an argument to be made snowboarding was the cause of his shoulder issues depending on who you believe. 

The original point is whether or not a team can pay four offensive lineman at the top of the pay scale and still have enough weapons on offense and defense.  Usually teams pay their OT’s top money and maybe their center.  The Colts paid Glenn, Diem, and Saturday while drafting guards and paying them low contracts. That allowed them to pay their stars. 

I think anyone advocating moving on from Kelly this year or next are under the assumption the Colts are going to make Nelson the highest paid guard in the NFL and Pinter can do the job as well or without a noticeable difference. Of course what we don’t know is if Pinter can get them into the right line calls. 

The Colts can hope to draft a LT to offset the costs or to me move on from Kelly sooner rather than later so they can sign a LT and weight some contracts in the 2023-2024 seasons when the cap is going to jump a lot from the new tv deals and be without Kelly’s big contract. 

Free agency can’t get here soon enough so we know Ballard’s strategy. It’s going to be tough to both find a LT and a WR that makes an immediate impact in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

If I may quote from an American masterpiece of cinema, “Forget it, he’s rolling…”

(In response to: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)

I know, I know!   I’m trying to be helpful.  It’s an uphill climb.  Such a struggle!    

4 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would be surprised if anyone would take Hines contract as he is not great between the tackles,and I don’t think he would be a #1 back anywhere. Too many cheaper options through the draft and off the street. I like Hines as well on this team - if we actually use him.

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Colts only save 3 million by trading  him. The rest is his roster bonus.

This year.  Look how much they save in 2023-2024.  I don’t care if it’s a wash this year. NFL contracts aren’t like MLB. The Colts and a player can choose which years have the biggest cap hits.  For example, let’s say they wanted to sign Armstead.  They could give him a nice signing bonus upfront to amortize over the length of the deal but have a small base pay in 2022. They could give him a much larger base pay in 2023 and 2024 and lets say guarantee his base pay in 2023 when the salary cap jumps and they are without Kelly if they so chose. That’s why I don’t buy the Colts don’t have enough cap room. 

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I would be surprised if anyone would take Hines contract as he is not great between the tackles,and I don’t think he would be a #1 back anywhere. Too many cheaper options through the draft and off the street. I like Hines as well on this team - if we actually use him.

Yeah Wentz nd FR didn't use him enough..

Archived