Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly is Not an Asset

Nickster

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Kelly is a good center, but his price and availability make him expendable.

I agree. Good, not great.

Paid top 3, and not really even top 10 performance wise.

I like him, but would like to pay him less.

Or pick up an extra early draft pick this year.

16 minutes ago, Breeze said:

We have a few positions that need addressed this off-season, either a starter or for depth.  Center is not one of them.  Why create a hole that’s not currently there?

Because sometimes you need to make tough decisions to improve a roster in more important positions. Especially if  Pinter can handle the position at a fraction of the cost. 

I think many people here don’t really think about what they read or post.  I didn’t say the dude was bad.  I said the dude is not an asset as in trade asset.  

he’s an average center sometimes better these last couple seasons, but is paid disproportionately for his value at his position at his rate of pay.

I don’t pay much attention but thought sportrac had his cap number much higher this season and next.

5 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Brady seems to be done in Tampa. Bring him here for 1 year. Sign Godwin. 

Brady is either going to play in Tampa next year or retire.  It’s not an issue of wanting out of Tampa.  They have bent over backwards to make him happy there and they pointed out on the broadcast he loves it there.  It’s a question of if he wants to keep playing football or not, not where he wants to play.

7 hours ago, tvturner said:

His PFF grades by year:

2016: 72.4

2017: 60.4

2018: 74.5

2019: 73.0

2020: 69.0

2021: 56.9

He played injured the entire year...

69 is not a pff # for a center at 10 mil+ that any team will be interested in acquiring.  Neither is 73 or 74.5 for that matter.

even disregarding this year Kelly is not an asset for a trade

Not sure I understand the point of this thread other than knocking a guy who didn’t have his best year amidst a string of injuries across the entire line throughout the season.  I mean, is using your center as a trade asset even a thing in the NFL?  Are there any examples where teams suddenly got to the next level by trading away an interior lineman?  Not sure anyone noticed but we are not a bad team.  Some lousy decisions and bad mistakes (and questionable schemes) away from competing this past weekend.  Yes, things need to be cleaned up, but throwing our center under the bus is not progress.  Other places to look, other areas to be worried about.

55 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Not sure I understand the point of this thread other than knocking a guy who didn’t have his best year amidst a string of injuries across the entire line throughout the season.  I mean, is using your center as a trade asset even a thing in the NFL?  Are there any examples where teams suddenly got to the next level by trading away an interior lineman?  Not sure anyone noticed but we are not a bad team.  Some lousy decisions and bad mistakes (and questionable schemes) away from competing this past weekend.  Yes, things need to be cleaned up, but throwing our center under the bus is not progress.  Other places to look, other areas to be worried about.

People seem to forget the Grigson years, where he laughed at the fans who were clamoring for some quality inside O linemen.  He finally drafted Kelly when he realized even the owner had enough of seeing his franchise QB being bashed from DTs running through the O line.

I don't think he has much trade value either. Hudson got traded for a 3rd round pick this past offseason. He was a couple of years older than Kelly, but had also played all but one game the previous 5 seasons. So he was more durable at the time.

But I can't imagine Kelly is going anywhere this season. Trading him would only save a few million in cap with the restructure bonus accelerating. It's next season where his cap hit jumps up and they would save more that they might entertain it. 

If the goal is to save cap and gain real draft capital that will offset the drop off in performance at that position, the guy to trade would be Q. But we all know that just isn't going to happen for many reasons. 

Outside of that, the Colts don't really have anybody else that they could/should trade at this point. They have paid all of them (which hurts their trade value) and the ones they haven't paid they shouldn't trade (JT and Pitt for example).

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't think he has much trade value either. Hudson got traded for a 3rd round pick this past offseason. He was a couple of years older than Kelly, but had also played all but one game the previous 5 seasons. So he was more durable at the time.

But I can't imagine Kelly is going anywhere this season. Trading him would only save a few million in cap with the restructure bonus accelerating. It's next season where his cap hit jumps up and they would save more that they might entertain it. 

If the goal is to save cap and gain real draft capital that will offset the drop off in performance at that position, the guy to trade would be Q. But we all know that just isn't going to happen for many reasons. 

Outside of that, the Colts don't really have anybody else that they could/should trade at this point. They have paid all of them (which hurts their trade value) and the ones they haven't paid they shouldn't trade (JT and Pitt for example).

I could see Kelly as a 'throw in' to sweeten a deal since we don't have a 1st.  

For example, if we wanted Wilson we'd probably have to give Seattle our next two #1's, Wentz, and Kelly.  Probably our #2 also.  I'd be all for it.  I know Ballard wouldn't consider that.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:10 AM, Nickster said:

He’s an OK center but many people trowing his name around as a trade asset.  I don’t understand this.  His salary is high and his play is barely average.  Why would he bring back any value?

to me the guy is a negative asset and might need incentive from the Colts for a team to take him.  He’s even cuttable,IMO.

Someone would give us a 6th for him maybe lol

10 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

Anyone that is a starter of a NFL team is a asset. Give the guy a break he had a bad year like any other human. He will be back in top notch form. :facepalm:

He's not a trade asset.  If you play average type of ball at a position that isn't one of the more highly valued position, and are allocating a proportion of the cap  disproportionate to the influence on winning, then you are not an asset to me.  You are a negative asset in that Pinter might be able to give us what Kelly gives us, and as long as he's a competent NFL player, the team would be better off allocating the money elsewhere other than a center whose best grade ever was 74. 

That's not to say he is a bad center.  He's not bad.  He's just ah ight.  

10 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

Anyone that is a starter of a NFL team is a asset. Give the guy a break he had a bad year like any other human. He will be back in top notch form. :facepalm:

Bad years when has he ever ranked as a top C in the league name the year . He is ok not elite and for his price tag I would rather a cheaper player like Pinter or something 

On 1/24/2022 at 7:25 AM, Breeze said:

Many posters were saying that we should trade Kelly in other threads, and I saw several ideas of him getting 2nd and 3rd picks.

I wanted to discuss that.  That's the point. So basically the point was exactly what my OP said. 

Ryan Kelly was absolutely phsically (Covid and Elbow) and emotionally ( Miscarriage) drained this past season. The offseason maybe good for him to get his body and head right.  The guy that needs to kick it up a notch is Brad Smith. He got paid and just underperformed in his pass protection. There is no hiding when you fail in pass protection. 

Let's also not forget that Ryan Kelly is the third Colts center to have 3 consecutive pro bowls.

I think an argument can be made that his 2019, 2020, 2021 pro bowls were offset by a year, and were reflective more of his 2018, 2019, 2020 performances than of how he did in the years he got them.

I agree that he's had a difficult year this year, with his injury, covid infection, and family issues.  The man needs some time away.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:22 AM, Introspect said:

Not arguing with you. I hope you're right but....

Some players are motivated to be great...

Others take the money and run.....

I just believe a guy like Leonard has the desire to be GREAT... Kelly not so much.

Just my opinion. Just my opinion. We will see how things pan out in the next 2 years...

Glad it is just your opinion.  Regardless of how things pan out in the next 2 years we will have no idea whether he was motivated to be great or not.  

And still pretty funny that you are judging his commitment.  

On 1/27/2022 at 1:18 PM, AustexColt said:

Ryan Kelly was absolutely phsically (Covid and Elbow) and emotionally ( Miscarriage) drained this past season. The offseason maybe good for him to get his body and head right.  The guy that needs to kick it up a notch is Brad Smith. He got paid and just underperformed in his pass protection. There is no hiding when you fail in pass protection. 

Kelly gave up 2nd most pressures of all centers

On 1/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, John Hammonds said:

Let's also not forget that Ryan Kelly is the third Colts center to have 3 consecutive pro bowls.

I think an argument can be made that his 2019, 2020, 2021 pro bowls were offset by a year, and were reflective more of his 2018, 2019, 2020 performances than of how he did in the years he got them.

I agree that he's had a difficult year this year, with his injury, covid infection, and family issues.  The man needs some time away.

Kelly gave up the second most pressures in nfl for all centers … hard knocks and other devastating circumstances lead to probowl this year. (Even doe probowl is popularity contest)

On 1/25/2022 at 10:30 AM, jbaron04 said:

Bad years when has he ever ranked as a top C in the league name the year . He is ok not elite and for his price tag I would rather a cheaper player like Pinter or something 

I never said he was Elite. But if there isn't a better option you roll with what you have. You say he is OK, so that is what we have if there is no better option. I think there is a few positions on the o-line and defense that are paid more than what they should make.

If there is no better option, keep Kelly and Pinter. Teams always need depth.

20 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I never said he was Elite. But if there isn't a better option you roll with what you have. You say he is OK, so that is what we have if there is no better option. I think there is a few positions on the o-line and defense that are paid more than what they should make.

If there is no better option, keep Kelly and Pinter. Teams always need depth.

You right about depth but , I’m sure we can find depth way cheaper and use some of that money else where 

3 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

You right about depth but , I’m sure we can find depth way cheaper and use some of that money else where 

I don't disagree. Maybe Kelly will re-do contract to help team out. But it is hard to find valuable players that aren't constantly battling injuries each year.

13 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

I don't disagree. Maybe Kelly will re-do contract to help team out. But it is hard to find valuable players that aren't constantly battling injuries each year.

For what kelly gave us we could find a cheaper option I’m saying not a guy making top dollar for the position, and not even talking about the league we all know where he would rank if we did that, on his own team getting out played by backup. If kelly took a major pay cut I’m fine with it but at his cost I’m not happy with return it’s a what have you done lately for me league not I feel sorry for you and etc….

Archived