Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did COVID have an impact on team's energy/performance yesterday?

bertjones7

Not trying to make excuses for yesterday's performance, but not only the loss but the manner in which it happened is almost inexplicable.

Keep wondering how much COVID impacted the colts. Media only talks about if a player is eligible to play, but guys like Tyler Lockett said it really messed him up. He lost weight and lost his energy and stamina.

Believe 4 of the 5 OL previously had it along with Darius Leonard, Wentz and others. They all played way below standards the last 2 weeks with ZERO energy.

Pats just beat Jax 50-10.  Jax looked awful since they upset Bills.

Even if Wentz played poorly, Reich called a bad game etc...  The Colts were absolutely lifeless on both sides of the ball in a must win game.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont know, we will never know, but did having the most players on IR or dressing the most players ever in one regular season effect the Titans. Nope their coaches had them prepared every week.

They actually got lucky their injuries came mostly after that tough stretch of games and they had built a cushion. 

I caught COVID on December 23rd. Initially I had a fever, body aches, chills and a cough. Those initial symptoms left after two days but the cough and fatigue still remain.

It's now January 10th. I usually try to work out daily or find a way to be active. I had no energy to do so until this morning. I finally had enough energy to get a workout in this morning.

I can't imagine having to play a sport like football that requires such exertion. It can be a legitimate reason for the lack of energy we saw yesterday.

Edit: BTW - I am vaccinated, just as a point of reference.

13 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

Not trying to make excuses for yesterday's performance, but not only the loss but the manner in which it happened is almost inexplicable.

Keep wondering how much COVID impacted the colts. Media only talks about if a player is eligible to play, but guys like Tyler Lockett said it really messed him up. He lost weight and lost his energy and stamina.

Believe 4 of the 5 OL previously had it along with Darius Leonard, Wentz and others. They all played way below standards the last 2 weeks with ZERO energy.

Even if Wentz played poorly, Reich called a bad game etc...  The Colts were absolutely lifeless on both sides of the ball in a must win game.

I actually was wondering the same thing. They were listless to say the least.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

I caught COVID on December 23rd. Initially I had a fever, body aches, chills and a cough. Those initial symptoms left after two days but the cough and fatigue still remain.

It's now January 10th. I usually try to work out daily or find a way to be active. I had no energy to do so until this morning. I finally had enough energy to get a workout in this morning.

I can't imagine having to play a sport like football that requires such exertion. It can be a legitimate reason for the lack of energy we saw yesterday.

I wondered about this too.

I have friends still experiencing the lack of energy and extreme tiredness months after being sick.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

You know us Colts fan don't accept anything but death as an excuse for a tough day at the office.. Lol

Haha. 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

You know us Colts fan don't accept anything but death as an excuse for a tough day at the office.. Lol

Haha. I agree. 

Believe me - I’m still so * and angry. I just can’t explain the lack of emotion/energy. They were completely lifeless. 

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

It can take a month to get your energy level back. I am not a regular workout warrior by any means but I was walking a few miles a few weeks after Covid trying to inch myself up.

No matter vaccinated or unvaccinated, if it gets you well enough to give you a fever and put you down for a week or two, you are going to take about a month to return to full activity like before, assuming it did not do a number on your lungs. Since I met my deductible :), I even did a treadmill stress test a month after Covid in September, got a clean bill of health with my heart and lungs, can't complain. 

However, it does not compare even to 5% of what these guys do.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It can take a month to get your energy level back. I am not a regular workout warrior by any means but I was walking a few miles a few weeks after Covid trying to inch myself up.

No matter vaccinated or unvaccinated, if it gets you well enough to give you a fever and put you down for a week or two, you are going to take about a month to return to full activity like before, assuming it did not do a number on your lungs. Since I met my deductible :), I even did a treadmill stress test a month after Covid in September, got a clean bill of health with my heart and lungs, can't complain. 

I’m military and used to running miles, right now, 3 weeks after my bad Covid battle, I’m barely able to go 100 yards without getting winded.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I’m military and used to running miles, right now, 3 weeks after my bad Covid battle, I’m barely able to go 100 yards without getting winded.

That is why I made the distinction that I walked miles and not running miles. :) 

The stress test on a treadmill was only 10 minutes for this programmer who sits on his butt 7-8 hours a day. I was only interested in the vital measurements. Some people live to work out, I just work out to live. :default_20smile:

31 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

Agreed 100%. It’s not what some people want to acknowledge for political reasons but the fact that some of our key players were unvaccinated probably affected their play after contracting COVID. 

That to me is inexcusable. It’s a clear competitive advantage to diminish the impact of COVID and not all our guys buy into that thinking.

Wentz, Nelson, Kelley, and Leonard are all leaders on this team. They all should carry this blame. Fisher, who isn’t a leader, was also not vaccinated. So 3 out of the starting 5 offensive linemen possible had lingering effects into the most important game Id the year.

I put the blame squarely on them first and foremost and on Reich and Ballard for not doing enough to avoid this obvious risk/scenario.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I mean Wentz just looks unwell here.

B6FF3B1E-D53E-43EB-9ABD-EBE1422E4FCA.jpeg

Most people look unwell while wearing a mask.  IMO

And before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I'm against masks --- I can assure you I wear mine whenever out in public, but seriously..... who looks healthy in a mask?

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why I made the distinction that I walked miles and not running miles. :) 

The stress test on a treadmill was only 10 minutes for this programmer who sits on his butt 7-8 hours a day. I was only interested in the vital measurements. Some people live to work out, I just work out to live. :default_20smile:

Yeah 

23 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

Agreed 100%. It’s not what some people want to acknowledge for political reasons but the fact that some of our key players were unvaccinated probably affected their play after contracting COVID. 

That to me is inexcusable. It’s a clear competitive advantage to diminish the impact of COVID and not all our guys buy into that thinking.

Wentz, Nelson, Kelley, and Leonard are all leaders on this team. They all should carry this blame. Fisher, who isn’t a leader, was also not vaccinated. So 3 out of the starting 5 offensive linemen possible had lingering effects into the most important game Id the year.

I put the blame squarely on them first and foremost and on Reich and Ballard for not doing enough to avoid this obvious risk/scenario.

Who knows what the deal is.  But the OL got whipped two weeks in a row.

3 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Most people look unwell while wearing a mask.  IMO

And before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I'm against masks --- I can assure you I wear mine whenever out in public, but seriously..... who looks healthy in a mask?

He just looks pale. More evident in this one. Lol. I would just go watch his pressers and you will see it. I had this thought after the raiders game. His energy has seemed low too.

F0CC2080-5356-4EAB-98B8-4348FDA6F8A1.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Edit: BTW - I am vaccinated, just as a point of reference.

You were vaccinated and it took that long to get over it. Wow! Makes me wonder how good these vaccines are. 

BTW I am also vaccinated.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

However, it does not compare even to 5% of what these guys do.

My youngest is about the size of Matt Proyer.  Maybe slightly larger than Pryor.  He had a slight case of Covid, off ten days, and returned to work as a mechanic.  First day back they had him doing big truck tire-work, and he said it whopped him.  Said there’s no way he could’ve played football after only a five day period….

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I’m sure it did, especially for guys who were unvaxxed as their symptoms had a higher chance of being worse. 

Lotta other athletes have said they were dealing with symptoms and fatigue for a while.

Just more reason to ditch Carson Wentz. I knew his anti-vaxx/selfish stance would come back to bite the team. It ended up costing the Colts a playoff berth in the end. So tired of these selfish/anti-science guys.

I think there’s a good chance it had an impact.  Can see many situations where a Covid positive player comes back and struggles.  Big thing here basically our key guys all got Covid and we’re unvaccinated.  Odds are, it had an impact.  They were just getting blasted yesterday

45 minutes ago, Coltsfanincincy said:

I wonder how often 15 point favorites get blown out in a must win game?

this was a top 10 upset in league history going by point spreads.  heres a tough one to stomach, going by final score compared to the spread it might have been among the biggest ever

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/biggest-nfl-upsets-since-1995-betting-spread

this says since 1990, on reddit they found it goes back as far as anyone can find

3 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Maybe this is a reason . They won  8 out of 10 before the Raiders . If   they won their last  2   that would have been 10 out of 12. Maybe they just ran out of gas.  That happens when u start 0 and 3. It  was  an uphill climb all season and they put themselves in that situation.

18 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Multiple players were playing poorly before COVID hit the Colts, Wentz included

It has impacted multiple teams that are in the playoffs

Those teams got the job done, we didn't..

This shouldn't be an excuse

Not an excuse as much of a possible reason.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Not an excuse as much of a possible reason.

I agree.  One of the reasons, I think, that we struggled so much this season, is that we had too many moments where we weren't able to practice together.  We always had players missing for one reason or another.  True, injuries happen.  And they happen all the time.  But some things can be prevented.

If I were Irsay, I would put my foot down.  Everybody gets vaccinated.  Everybody.  You may want to say, "Yeah, but it's my decision, innit?"  Not anymore.  We're going to remove this from being a potential cause.  Completely.  Starting with Wentz.  He's got to be a leader, and be the first of the non-vaccinated players to do it.  No more excuses.  No more.

Archived