Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did COVID have an impact on team's energy/performance yesterday?

bertjones7

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dr. T said:

The reason our season went down the tubes at the end is that many of our anti-vax players got COVID or were recovering from COVID, despite their promises to be careful. That starts with Wentz, but don't be surprised if Irsay demands that we also cut bait with many of the other anti-vaxers, which include Pascal, Fisher, Kelley and maybe even Q. The only one we will keep will be Leonard. Perhaps in Irsay's mind, many of these players aren't "willing to do whatever it takes to win." (And that means getting the shot.) And BTH, that means that Rodgers isn't coming here either.

Source on this?    You’ve read or heard something,  but what?    Who makes this claim?    Is there a link to post?     Thanks. 

• Shive locked this topic
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I never paid a whole lot of attention to covid after about November 2020, but IIRC a lot of teams would have had a lot of starters out at least one or even two games with the 10-day protocol period.  But then a bunch of them ended up playing after the CDC miraculously changed the guidance at just the right time.

I think without the change, there would have been a situation where the NFL's most competitive playoff races in recent years would have been decided with backups to backup players deciding important games with healthy stars sitting on the bench.  But the CDC came through when needed, LOL.

So I don't know if the Colts collapse could be blamed on any real health issues, or lingering health issues, because I don't know if very many NFL players were really very symptomatic to begin with even though a bunch of them were on the covid lists throughout the NFL.  Nelson was pretty symptomatic, apparently.

Frank did mention Wentz had a rough go of it at the beginning of the week when he got covid. Wentz said he didn’t feel bad but I expect any player to down play it.

This is something that can never be proved unless players flat out come out and tell Ballard that they had all these affects.  But it’s one of the reasons I think making drastic decisions on giving up on Wentz after a year just seems wrong. Too many things happened in camp and then the covid mess at end of season. 

2 hours ago, Dr. T said:

I guess we'll see who gets a new contract and who will be traded. Not that the sole reason will be because they didn't get the jab, but if Irsay believes this is part of reason we lost, we may see ...

Wentz - released or traded

Pascal - not offered a new contract to return

Fisher - not offered a new contract to return

Kelly - traded

Q - traded

Rodgers - not coming here

Again, I think the only anti-vaxer who is safe is Leonard.

Vaxxed players also missed games for testing positive 

5 hours ago, Dr. T said:

The reason our season went down the tubes at the end is that many of our anti-vax players got COVID or were recovering from COVID, despite their promises to be careful. That starts with Wentz, but don't be surprised if Irsay demands that we also cut bait with many of the other anti-vaxers, which include Pascal, Fisher, Kelley and maybe even Q. The only one we will keep will be Leonard. Perhaps in Irsay's mind, many of these players aren't "willing to do whatever it takes to win." (And that means getting the shot.) And BTH, that means that Rodgers isn't coming here either.

I will say this. I have had Covid-19 and my work protocol was 10 day quarantine while the cdc and the nfl had become 5 days. I am very thankful that it was 10 days do to the fact I was extremely exhausted and felt that I wouldn't have been able to perform my job. Even 3 weeks later I still had fatigue to the point that I didn't know If I could make it the whole week. So yes it is possible these players had fatigue issue and other related to Covid-19.

But you blame the anti-vax and thats where I believe it becomes opinion based. 

In my family of four three of us are vaccinated myself including. Out of those numbers all three vaccinated  tested positive with symptoms while the only one not vaccinated in the same house never quarantine from one another never tested positive nor shows any signs. 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Frank did mention Wentz had a rough go of it at the beginning of the week when he got covid. Wentz said he didn’t feel bad but I expect any player to down play it.

This is something that can never be proved unless players flat out come out and tell Ballard that they had all these affects.  But it’s one of the reasons I think making drastic decisions on giving up on Wentz after a year just seems wrong. Too many things happened in camp and then the covid mess at end of season. 

That's fine.  The point is that we don't know how many players who were on the lists throughout the NFL also "felt the effects" of being in Protocol earlier in that two week period.  Why is it assumed that it impacted us more than all of those other teams?  It's a pretty subjective thing to say that this health issue had an impact.

Its not the same thing as 150 starting players throughout the NFL struggling to practice because of "high ankle sprains", a pretty quantifiable health issue.

(And if IIRC, it seemed like there was at least 5 to 10 players on every 32 teams that were on the Protocol list in the beginning, before CDC changed the guidelines)

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  The point is that we don't know how many players who were on the lists throughout the NFL also "felt the effects" of being in Protocol earlier in that two week period.  Why is it assumed that it impacted us more than all of those other teams?  It's a pretty subjective thing to say that this health issue had an impact.

Its not the same thing as 150 starting players throughout the NFL struggling to practice because of "high ankle sprains", a pretty quantifiable health issue.

(And if IIRC, it seemed like there was at least 5 to 10 players on every 32 teams that were on the Protocol list in the beginning, before CDC changed the guidelines)

I know it didn’t impact us more because there are several stories of players and how it took some weeks to get back to normal.  You would have to go through every team and see how many got it and the way the teams played after.

Also it depends on who it effects on the team. You can have a player out here and there and probably won’t notice a difference. When ours hit it took out almost the entire oline and our starting QB at once. Aaron Rodgers had one of his worst games after coming back. There is just no way to prove it. Ballard pretty much said he thought it had a effect.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I know it didn’t impact us more because there are several stories of players and how it took some weeks to get back to normal.  You would have to go through every team and see how many got it and the way the teams played after.

Also it depends on who it effects on the team. You can have a player out here and there and probably won’t notice a difference. When ours hit it took out almost the entire oline and our starting QB at once. Aaron Rodgers had one of his worst games after coming back. There is just no way to prove it. Ballard pretty much said he thought it had a effect.

Could be, but you can't blame vax vs unvaxxed since vaxed players were getting it and all players got it at a different level of symptoms...and there is the protocols that simply screwed up practice time for anybody who had contact but was healthy, IIRC.

I just can't see where we blame covid for the downfall when other teams had just as many players on the list at the same time as we did.

Vaxxed players just like vaxxed general population got it less % wise and when got it felt the damage less. This is well documented through many sites.....it isnt political at all just science. The vaccine works, it can't protect 100% BUT it works. We had the most unvaxxed players in the league which has been brought up many times...that is playing dangerously and it burned us. Many here feared it would happen and boom.....it did. Players cant cry when they put themselves at risk and it burns them and Irsay wasnt happy nor should he be.

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

I just can't see where we blame covid for the downfall when other teams had just as many players on the list at the same time as we did.

Its not  about being on the list, the colts played like crap right after getting covid.   

might have had it worse than other teams because it hit our QB and the line right at the same time and they all played badly afterwards. Carson and Nelson showed more symptoms than just fatigue too

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Its not  about being on the list, the colts played like crap right after getting covid.   

might have had it worse than other teams because it hit our QB and the line right at the same time and they all played badly afterwards. Carson and Nelson showed more symptoms than just fatigue too

My point was that I don't know how many other teams' players got covid too...and played just as well or better.  With all of the players that were being put onto the list in the last two weeks, it seems like it was a pretty even playing field throughout the NFL.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My point was that I don't know how many other teams' players got covid too...and played just as well or better. 

being on the list isnt what matters.  some of the colts were actually sick and played badly when they came back.  Covid affects people differently and Carson and friends played like crap afterwards 

they did say Carson and Q were actually sick, not just on the list with no symptoms.   a lot of players around the league were on the list at some point with no symptoms, the colts did have them though 

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

Could be, but you can't blame vax vs unvaxxed since vaxed players were getting it and all players got it at a different level of symptoms...and there is the protocols that simply screwed up practice time for anybody who had contact but was healthy, IIRC.

I never brought up vaxed or non vaxed. I don’t think that had any bearing on anything. Some of the teams that had a ton of players were already bad teams to begin with.   Makes a difference too if it hits in middle of season and you lose a game and team can recover down the final stretch. Ours hit at the worst possible time. Covid killed Cleveland’s playoff chances.

Archived