Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaylon Smith Cut (Merge)

I'm not sure he ever recovered his burst after his major injury. I watched the HBO all or nothing and this guy was actively SLOW. I'm not sure whether it's effort, i think he just doesn't have that speed. I dont think he's the solution we need.

• Shive changed the title to Jaylon Smith Cut (Merge)
1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

I'd hope the Colts kick the tires at least.

Have you seen him play lately? I mean there's no harm bringing him in but he is slow. Like a LB in his late 30s. I felt so bad seeing his movement in that all or nothing.

This cut isnt a surprise based off that and what he's shown so far this season. 

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Have you seen him play lately? I mean there's no harm bringing him in but he is slow. Like a LB in his late 30s. I felt so bad seeing his movement in that all or nothing.

I haven't but doesn't surprise me since he's released 4 weeks into the season. I'd still check him out though just to verify.

28 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Cowboys fans are saying

Stan Lee Marvel GIF

16 minutes ago, BillCoslosky24 said:

It's never a good sign when Jerry Jones and the Cowboys get rid of a defensive starter a month into the season.

It was pretty widely speculated Smith was going to be gone as soon as they drafted Micah Parsons. Leighton Vander Esch has the other LB spot locked down and I believe Jabil Cox was looking really good as well. Just a crowded, talented LB room.

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Anyone know how he played last year?

His PFF grades so far this year:

Overall: 69.5

Run Defense37.4

Pass Rush: 51.1

Coverage: 82.2

His run defense and pass rush are worse this year, but weren't great last year either.

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We are in a good position, we have the leaders on D to help this guy.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Anyone know how he played last year?

Bleacher Report is reporting that he has started two of the Cowboys first four games this year.  That PFF currently has him rated as the 11th best linebacker in the league. Sounds like he might be a solid addition for many teams looking for linebacker help.  I would bet he would be very interested in playing for the Colts.

He was just released by the Cowboys and is only 26 years old. Would be a great 3rd LB to have as there isn’t much quality depth behind Leonard and Okereke. Also Indy has a high waiver priority so they should be able to snatch him up. I believe he also has ties to Eberflus from their time together in Dallas if I’m not mistaken. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32345334/dallas-cowboys-release-former-pro-bowl-linebacker-jaylon-smith

27 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

...Also Indy has a high waiver priority so they should be able to snatch him up...

I think that if they pick him up on waivers, they also pick up his current contract. His contact is part of the reason that Dallas let him go.

I don't think the Colts go after him, but if they do, it would likely be via FA on a cheaper deal.

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He could certainly play the Anthony Walker role while Okereke is best used on coverage downs. 

My thoughts exactly

9 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I don’t think he will be on waivers. Isn’t he a vested veteran now?

pretty sure he'd be 100% FA

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why did the Cowboys release him? I couldn't read the article as my laptop is acting funny. He is pretty good.

basically to save 9.2 next year.

from what i read, they tried to find a trade partner, but didn't work out.

they're still on the hook for 7+M this year.

I'd love to get him on the cheap.

Archived