Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaylon Smith Cut (Merge)

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Bleacher Report is reporting that he has started two of the Cowboys first four games this year.  That PFF currently has him rated as the 11th best linebacker in the league. Sounds like he might be a solid addition for many teams looking for linebacker help.  I would bet he would be very interested in playing for the Colts.

He lost his reps to Parsons. Here he would have a high reps.

11 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Are you looking for work?! He’s better than okereke easily

You wouldn't have to ask me twice if the Colts were looking to hire someone to clean their facilities or whatever position they were looking for someone to fill. Jim Irsay seems like a generous guy who values his employees and pays them fairly.

Backup for rotation but not as a starter right away till Flus is convinced he understands all the nuances of the current system he runs. He does decently in TE coverage if he runs with them in man coverage but gets lost in zone coverage. Just not a good run defender and has only OK east-west speed. I'd say start off as a man coverage LB for TEs on 3rd and longs and go from there.

Based on this post of @Shive, that role is what I would bring him in for:

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

basically to save 9.2 next year.

from what i read, they tried to find a trade partner, but didn't work out.

they're still on the hook for 7+M this year.

I'd love to get him on the cheap.

So could the Colts get him this year w/o having to pay him the $7M? if so, I'm with you....go after this dude. He's a Fort Wayne native and I would love to see him on the Colts. 

We need a Walker / D'Qwell Jackson type of run stopper LB on this team. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Backup for rotation but not as a starter right away till Flus is convinced he understands all the nuances of the current system he runs. He does decently in TE coverage if he runs with them in man coverage but gets lost in zone coverage. Just not a good run defender and has only OK east-west speed. I'd say start off as a man coverage LB for TEs on 3rd and longs and go from there.

Based on this post of @Shive, that role is what I would bring him in for:

So who would we cut?  Speed or Adams?

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Colts should at least kick the tires.

I wouldn't expect it. We will continue to get nothing for Bobby O, Franklin and whoever else we throw out there. Him and Leonard would give us speed and ability at the position that we haven't had in a while

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

He's been a terrible run stopper. 

42 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Him and Leonard would give us speed and ability at the position that we haven't had in a while

I don't think he fully regained his speed after his big surgery (had pretty bad nerve damage). That used to be one of his biggest assets, but all recent reports have been that he hasn't had that same speed he used to. He's phenomenal in man coverage and Flus has some familiarity with him. I'm just not sure that he would add anything to our LB group that isn't already there. We already have Bobby that is solid in coverage, but not a great run defender.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

He's been a terrible run stopper. 

I don't think he fully regained his speed after his big surgery (had pretty bad nerve damage). That used to be one of his biggest assets, but all recent reports have been that he hasn't had that same speed he used to. He's phenomenal in man coverage and Flus has some familiarity with him. I'm just not sure that he would add anything to our LB group that isn't already there. We already have Bobby that is solid in coverage, but not a great run defender.

well-that-sucks-bummer.gif

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

So could the Colts get him this year w/o having to pay him the $7M? if so, I'm with you....go after this dude. He's a Fort Wayne native and I would love to see him on the Colts. 

The 7M owed by big D is set in stone. It won't impact anything that he does going forward. 

If he signs somewhere else, he'll make 7+ whatever he signs for.

It gives him the ability to be very picky about where he signs IMO. So I'm going to guess he does a one year deal where he can go and get the most snaps, and somewhere that has a scheme he can prosper in. 

I have a few friends in TX. A couple love him, a couple say he's totally gone down hill. Will have to look closer, but on the surface he's only 1.25 season from his Pro Bowl in 2019, and he's still getting a ton a tackles. Most complaints are about coverage and pursuit/position. 

15 hours ago, Shive said:

It was pretty widely speculated Smith was going to be gone as soon as they drafted Micah Parsons. Leighton Vander Esch has the other LB spot locked down and I believe Jabil Cox was looking really good as well. Just a crowded, talented LB room.

His PFF grades so far this year:

Overall: 69.5

Run Defense37.4

Pass Rush: 51.1

Coverage: 82.2

His run defense and pass rush are worse this year, but weren't great last year either.

A few friends of mine from TX have varied opinions. One said the D has just been so bad in Dallas, it's completely stressed the LB unit. Haven't watched a full Dallas game this year, but watched a few last year. I noticed a lot of bad, but nothing stuck out about Smith.

His numbers over the years, including last year, are a bit perplexing to me. 2nd most tackles in the league last year, similar missed tackle % to Leonard, better (lower) passer rating allowed than Leonard, yet lower PFF.

I keep hearing the word "slow" to describe him last year, but how does a slow guy almost lead the league in Ts, not miss a lot of Ts, and cover better than Leonard lol... (and have a coverage grade in the 80s)

Below is his stat history with Leonard comps last year. If you have time, can you fill in the PFF blanks (sub cats). 

• Games Started - 2
    • Tackles (comb) - 18
    • Tackles (solo) - 13
    • Missed Tackle % - 5.3%
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 92.9
    • PFF Overall - 69.5 (72.2)
    • PFF Run D - 37.4 (80.7)
    • PFF Coverage - 82.2 (61.9)
    • PFF Pass Rush - 51.1 (65.1)

***Leonard's comps in ()

• Games Started - 16 (14)
    • Tackles (comb) - 154 which is 2nd most in the NFL (132)
    • Tackles (solo) - 89 (86)
    • Missed Tackle % - 5.5% (5%)
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 102.2 (109.2)
    • * - 0 (3)
    • INTs - 1 (0)
    • PFF Overall - 54.2 (72.6)
    • PFF Run D - 47.1 (66.8)
    • PFF Coverage - 54.2 (69.8)
    • PFF Pass Rush - 64.1 (84.6)
  • 2019 - Pro Bowl
    • Games Started - 16
    • Tackles (comb) - 142 which was 6th in the NFL
    • Tackles (solo) - 83
    • Missed Tackle % - 7.8%
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 102.1
    • INTs - 1
    • PFF Overall - 70.2 (78.7)
    • PFF Run D - 81.3 (78.8)
    • PFF Coverage - 60.8 (70.5)
    • PFF Pass Rush - 68.3 (78.9)
    • Games Started - 16
    • Tackles (comb) - 121 whch was 14th in the NFL
    • Tackles (solo) - 82
    • Missed Tackle % - 9%
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 107.8
    • INTs - 0
    • PFF Overall - 84.0 (81.6)
    • PFF Run D - 73.4 (75.4)
    • PFF Coverage - 79.8 (79.8)
    • PFF Pass Rush - 84.8 (75.8)
    • Games Started - 6
    • Tackles (comb) - 81
    • Tackles (solo) - 50
    • Missed Tackle % - NA
    • Pass Rate Allowed - NA
    • INTs - 0
    • PFF Overall - 69.4
    • PFF Run D - 53.5
    • PFF Coverage - 90.5
    • PFF Pass Rush - 73.0

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A few friends of mine from TX have varied opinions. One said the D has just been so bad in Dallas, it's completely stressed the LB unit. Haven't watched a full Dallas game this year, but watched a few last year. I noticed a lot of bad, but nothing stuck out about Smith.

His numbers over the years, including last year, are a bit perplexing to me. 2nd most tackles in the league last year, similar missed tackle % to Leonard, better (lower) passer rating allowed than Leonard, yet lower PFF.

I keep hearing the word "slow" to describe him last year, but how does a slow guy almost lead the league in Ts, not miss a lot of Ts, and cover better than Leonard lol... (and have a coverage grade in the 80s)

Below is his stat history with Leonard comps last year. If you have time, can you fill in the PFF blanks (sub cats). 

• Games Started - 2
    • Tackles (comb) - 18
    • Tackles (solo) - 13
    • Missed Tackle % - 5.3%
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 92.9
    • PFF Overall - 69.5
    • PFF Run D - 37.4
    • PFF Coverage - 82.2
    • PFF Pass Rush - 51.1

***Leonard's comps in ()

• Games Started - 16 (14)
    • Tackles (comb) - 154 which is 2nd most in the NFL (132)
    • Tackles (solo) - 89 (86)
    • Missed Tackle % - 5.5% (5%)
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 102.2 (109.2)
    • * - 0 (3)
    • INTs - 1 (0)
    • PFF Overall - 54.2 (72.6)
    • PFF Run D - 
    • PFF Coverage - 
    • PFF Pass Rush - 
  • 2019 - Pro Bowl
    • Games Started - 16
    • Tackles (comb) - 142 which was 6th in the NFL
    • Tackles (solo) - 83
    • Missed Tackle % - 7.8%
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 102.1
    • INTs - 1
    • PFF Overall - 70.2
    • PFF Run D - 
    • PFF Coverage - 
    • PFF Pass Rush - 
    • Games Started - 16
    • Tackles (comb) - 121 whch was 14th in the NFL
    • Tackles (solo) - 82
    • Missed Tackle % - 9%
    • Pass Rate Allowed - 107.8
    • INTs - 0
    • PFF Overall - 84.0
    • PFF Run D - 
    • PFF Coverage - 
    • PFF Pass Rush - 
    • Games Started - 6
    • Tackles (comb) - 81
    • Tackles (solo) - 50
    • Missed Tackle % - NA
    • Pass Rate Allowed - NA
    • INTs - 0
    • PFF Overall - 69.4
    • PFF Run D - 
    • PFF Coverage - 
    • PFF Pass Rush - 

Everything I've been hearing about him and saw with the PFF grades really confused me too. Somehow he's slow, but is also one of the highest graded coverage LB's in the league. He's terrible in run defense, but he's also one of the top tacklers in the league... A lot just doesn't add up.

I honestly would trust Ballard and Flus (since he has some familiarity with Smith) on whether or not Smith would be a good fit, but I really think he would.

Went back and updated the PFF blanks on your post.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Everything I've been hearing about him and saw with the PFF grades really confused me too. Somehow he's slow, but is also one of the highest graded coverage LB's in the league. He's terrible in run defense, but he's also one of the top tacklers in the league... A lot just doesn't add up.

I honestly would trust Ballard and Flus (since he has some familiarity with Smith) on whether or not Smith would be a good fit, but I really think he would.

The Flus connect gives me optimism on one hand, gives me pause on the other.. 

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

According to Over the Cap the Colts are 2nd from the bottom in cap space.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

OTC has 1.36M, ST 1.73M

We'd have to cut someone to make room on the 53, so you'd pick up min 0.6M, but more likely 0.94M if you cut one of the depth LBs. So assume we'd have about 2.3-2.6M to spend. Smith is already paid by Dallas, so his driver likely won't be money. It will likely be a good spot depth and scheme wise so he can change the narrative on his career.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well it looks like he’s going to the Packers.  So much for kicking the tires.  That didn’t take long.  He who hesitates is lost as the saying goes.  That said I never thought we would get involved in either player.

I didn't think we would either, I'd just like to see some proof that we actually tried to talk to them about coming here and we couldn't afford them, or one of them turned us down to go to the Panthers or Packers or something like that.

Whenever we miss out on decent players like this that only cost cash, it always makes me think Ballard doesn't even have interest in any FA's besides his own and depth guys. I'd like to be proven wrong just once.

6 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Ballard just going to sit back and let our defense sink….

All about that “Delayed Gratification”

GIF by MOODMAN

16 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

You have to want to find space 

4 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Ballard just going to sit back and let our defense sink….

All about that “Delayed Gratification”

You realize you’re completely and deliberately misrepresenting Ballard’s comments.   All to get a laugh. 

You must be so proud…..        :facepalm:

Archived